PDA

View Full Version : Matthews suspended!!!

Sonic
05/10/2006, 11:12 AM
Oct 04th 06 | Suspension of Town Manager

Longford Town F.C. wishes to confirm that manager Alan Mathews has been suspended by the FAI following the referee’s report from last Friday’s cup game.

Longford Town F.C. completely rejects this decision and the referee’s report.

The club will pursue all available avenues to overturn this decision

www.longfordtownfc.com

What is this about??? Anyone know.

el punter
05/10/2006, 11:26 AM
He was a bit mouthy in the post match interview on TG4 about the refereeing performance. I expect the Merrion Square Stasi took exception.

Edit....ah on account of the ref's report I see (hadn't absorbed the post before replying!)

In that case I imagine at some stage Mr Matthews communicated his displeasure at the ref's performance right to the man - perhaps after the game as otherwise Matthews would have been sent from the dug out during the 90 mins?

TonyD
05/10/2006, 12:02 PM
This seems a strange one to me. Far be it from me to defend Matthews, in general there's just something about him I don't like, but to be fair to him I was sitting just behind the away dugout in Richmond last week and I honestly can't say I saw anything that would warrant him being suspended. Off the top of my head I can't remember any aggro between him and the Ref, or even the 4th Official. Of course it's possible I may have missed something. Or maybe as El Punter suggests it was after the game.

Longfordian
05/10/2006, 12:17 PM
Something happened on the pitch after the game. Referee's account differs drastically from eye witness accounts. Can't say much more as it's quite likely he'll be taking legal action against the ref

Danny
05/10/2006, 12:35 PM
a couple of the lads in mcdowells after the game on friday said that he sort of barged thru the ref/linemen on his way over to do the tv interview, could have somethign to do with that

Stiof
05/10/2006, 12:37 PM
Out of interest....who was the ref?

Danny
05/10/2006, 12:42 PM
Pat Whelan

Stiof
05/10/2006, 12:44 PM
Cheers

OneRedArmy
06/10/2006, 2:31 AM
quite likely he'll be taking legal action against the refAnother reason why we won't be having European football then next season...

Bravo Longford!

Ronnie
06/10/2006, 8:26 AM
Another reason why we won't be having European football then next season...

Bravo Longford!

Explain?

max power
06/10/2006, 9:27 AM
Another reason why we won't be having European football then next season...

Bravo Longford!

What a stupid post, if someone accuses you of something you have every right to defend yourself.

This maybe outside the remit of the league and football itself so know all the facts before posting rubbish as above.

i would also like to see the reasoning for typing with your backside in the above post.

OneRedArmy
06/10/2006, 9:58 AM
What a stupid post, if someone accuses you of something you have every right to defend yourself.

This maybe outside the remit of the league and football itself so know all the facts before posting rubbish as above.

i would also like to see the reasoning for typing with your backside in the above post.Where have you been Max? I've missed your ill-informed rants.

Has watching Longfords unique brand of football sent you into a Rip Van Winkle-esque hibernation?

The point is simple, I understand that UEFA are stating clearly that any legal challenge to a football associations authority prevents that country's clubs playing in European competition.

If there is more to it then do tell.

RonnieB
06/10/2006, 11:07 AM
I do believe "telling anything" would have ramifications towards any legal case.

Ronnie
06/10/2006, 11:36 AM
The point is simple, I understand that UEFA are stating clearly that any legal challenge to a football associations authority prevents that country's clubs playing in European competition.

If there is more to it then do tell.[/QUOTE]

So Longford should grin and bear it, regardless of whether its right or wrong? Know our place so to speak and not be interferring and causing hindrance to
the world domination plans of the big clubs?

max power
06/10/2006, 1:04 PM
I do believe "telling anything" would have ramifications towards any legal case.

oneredarmy, read the above.

it should be ovbious. there are details which can on be said in public and i have warned of this on our own forum.

also since when did UEFA go above a persons legal right to defend their name in a court of law ?????? it is alan taking a case against the ref from what i believe. Have a look here http://www.ltfcforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=914

there is in indy way of sorting out such issues in the current league set up, perhaps when the new structure is in place we might have a better way of sorting such issues, until then why don't you tell me your wise solution ?

A face
06/10/2006, 3:35 PM
Did it have anything to do with Matthews wanting to return to winter football?? You'd never know .... maybe he has pushed his opinion on others once too many :p

Longfordian
06/10/2006, 4:48 PM

If there is more to it then do tell.

The legal challenge would be by Alan Mathews as an individual against Pat Whelan, not the FAI. The FAI have already more or less said that whatever proceedings go on between the two of them is nothing to do with the FAI who have separate disciplinary and appeal procedures which will also be followed by the club. Simple really