PDA

View Full Version : Knee Injuries

lim abroad
04/10/2006, 6:48 PM
just wondering if anyone on here has suffered any knee injuries,i snapped my cruciate and tore cartilage in my knee 2 weeks ago,waiting to see a surgeon now.has anybody else here done the same?what sort of rehab did you do?

ShelsLimerick
04/10/2006, 10:11 PM
Did the same about ten years ago now. Went to turn quickly but got my foot caught in the ground and snapped the cruciate. Initially when I went to the hospital they said it was just a sprain and to rest for a week. I went back playing a week later and the knee gave way instantly. The pain is unnatural.

Had two operations on it and had to do alot of physio. Its very important in the first few weeks to get your range of motion back. After that you begin cycling and swimming. After about six months I started running again but no sudden turns. It took nine months before I was back on the pitch again.

Best of luck with it and I don't envy you one bit.

gazza2
05/10/2006, 8:28 AM
Lim abroad i know how you are feeling. I did it 4 yrs ago left knee and 3 yrs ago in the right knee

Last one I did about 3 yrs ago,Running one way closing down the full back then i turned and my studs got caught in the ground and snapped at ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament).

That happened on a saturday went to hospital and they operated that night to see the extent of the full damage.There was a 100% tear of the Cruciate and i tore the cartlidge as well.
They operated on me and repaired the cartlidge.

They cannot operate on the cruciate for about 6 weeks after the initial injury so the best thing you can do LIM ABROAD and you may notice that you are getting some movement back in the knee is to go to the gym 6 days a week (mon - sat) to build that knee up as the stronger you have it the less recovery time after the op.
Once you have an injury like this you lose a lot of muscle strength.

When you have the operation then the real hard work starts and again gym work and lots of swimming for the first few months and i was back running in straight lines after 3 and a half months and played a few friendly training games for the whole 5th month and i played my 1st competitive game after 6 months of the initially injury

The stronger thta muscle is before the op then the shorter the recovery time and i did it in both knees and both of them i was playing in 6 months
I know guys that didnt go to the gym before hand and were out for 9 + 12 months

Hope this helps:

Mercurial Vapor
05/10/2006, 9:02 AM
Lim abroad i know how you are feeling. I did it 4 yrs ago left knee and 3 yrs ago in the right knee

Last one I did about 3 yrs ago,Running one way closing down the full back then i turned and my studs got caught in the ground and snapped at ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament).

That happened on a saturday went to hospital and they operated that night to see the extent of the full damage.There was a 100% tear of the Cruciate and i tore the cartlidge as well.
They operated on me and repaired the cartlidge.

They cannot operate on the cruciate for about 6 weeks after the initial injury so the best thing you can do LIM ABROAD and you may notice that you are getting some movement back in the knee is to go to the gym 6 days a week (mon - sat) to build that knee up as the stronger you have it the less recovery time after the op.
Once you have an injury like this you lose a lot of muscle strength.

When you have the operation then the real hard work starts and again gym work and lots of swimming for the first few months and i was back running in straight lines after 3 and a half months and played a few friendly training games for the whole 5th month and i played my 1st competitive game after 6 months of the initially injury

The stronger thta muscle is before the op then the shorter the recovery time and i did it in both knees and both of them i was playing in 6 months
I know guys that didnt go to the gym before hand and were out for 9 + 12 months

Hope this helps:

Yea I can back up this advise I have studied injuries and rehabilitation for injuries. You should try and build up the quadriceps muscles as much as you can before the operation especially your Vastus Medialis, thats the muscle that inserts onto the inside of your knee, as this is the fastest wasting muscle in a persons body if it's not been used day in, day out. For more info on the type of exercises you should try a google search.

lim abroad
05/10/2006, 2:37 PM
cheers lads,i injured mine in pretty much the same way to ye.i was closing down the keeper and jumped as he cleared the ball,my studs got stuck in the ground as i landed while my momentum kept me going forward,i knew it was bad straight away because i felt a crunch inside my knee and heard a loud pop.

lim abroad
05/10/2006, 2:40 PM
I went back playing a week later and the knee gave way instantly. The pain is unnatural.

i know what you mean about the pain,when it happened to me initially i thought i was gonna get sick on the pitch but after about 5 mins it swelled up like a balloon and went numb

gazza2
05/10/2006, 3:15 PM
lads everyone in the ground heard the pop in my knee from about 40 yards away and i was so bad that i needed oxygen to calm me down a bit

Not nice but Lim Abroad best of luck with the rocovery and if you need to ask any questions just pm and i'd be only to happy to answer them for you

lim abroad
05/10/2006, 3:27 PM
thanks gazza,greatly appreciated

hoops1
05/10/2006, 3:38 PM
On a sports course that I did we were told not to do what the physios
did to save Jimmy Bullards career???????

lim abroad
05/10/2006, 3:42 PM
what did they do?

hoops1
05/10/2006, 3:43 PM
he dislocated his Knee and they put it back in

gazza2
05/10/2006, 3:52 PM
Dislocation and Cruciate are completely different type injuries. With the Cruciate they have to insert a new ligament and they get this from the middle section of you Knee tendon

That then grows back together during the rehab afterwards so that does be fine as well

hoops1
05/10/2006, 4:00 PM
Dislocation and Cruciate are completely different type injuries. With the Cruciate they have to insert a new ligament and they get this from the middle section of you Knee tendon

That then grows back together during the rehab afterwards so that does be fine as well

I know that but we were told not to put dislocations back in!

smellyfeet
05/10/2006, 4:08 PM
Zubi,
If all of that treatment doesn't work you should call into Homedica in Raheen,
they'll just give you a new knee.

allab
05/10/2006, 6:39 PM
I know that but we were told not to put dislocations back in!

he didnt dislocate it??

lim abroad
05/10/2006, 7:57 PM
Zubi,
If all of that treatment doesn't work you should call into Homedica in Raheen,
they'll just give you a new knee.

nice one,i'll bear that in mind.gerry duggan might even make it for me