PDA

View Full Version : Who stole our game? The fall and fall of Irish soccer

BohDiddley
04/10/2006, 9:23 AM
New book by Daire Whelan. Looks an interesting read.
http://www.gillmacmillan.ie/Ecom/Library3.nsf/CatalogByCategory/A5F6E430CBDF5913802571B10030A20D?OpenDocument

dcfcsteve
04/10/2006, 9:27 AM
Looks interesting idea - I'll be buying that !

Let's hope it proves to be an Epitaph to the fall, with the league on a rise from here on in......

el punter
04/10/2006, 9:40 AM
I was thinking such a book was waiting to be written and had discussed it with a journalist I know. Glad to see someone has gone and done it. I really hope it's well written and well researched.

Steve, how's your tome coming along - any news?

RĂ©iteoir
04/10/2006, 10:36 AM
Bought a copy of The Dubliner magazine purely on the fact that they reproduce an article from the book.

Will certainly be buying a copy of the book.

As a related question - are there any general history books on the League at all?

Block G Raptor
04/10/2006, 11:07 AM
Defo getting me a copy. When's it out?

RĂ©iteoir
04/10/2006, 11:17 AM
Think it's out now - will check intown tonight if I'm there early enough

John83
04/10/2006, 11:28 AM
Will certainly be buying a copy of the book.

As a related question - are there any general history books on the League at all?
Please post a review when you do.

I don't think there are. One of the Derry lads was talking about writing one, I think. (DCFCsteve?) It's a big project though.

Danny
04/10/2006, 11:29 AM
Easons says its out on 31/10/06

http://www.buy4now.ie/eason/productdetail.aspx?pid=2360211&loc=P&catid=1010.0

Jofspring
04/10/2006, 11:43 AM
should be a intresting read. i for one will be gettin it.

el punter
04/10/2006, 12:54 PM
Will be in the shops from 27 Oct according to the publishers. We'll have a review up on walkthechalk.com as soon as we receive a copy. We'll also have a few extra copies to give away as competition prizes.

fergalr
04/10/2006, 1:00 PM
Looks interesting.

Not sure I like the ultra gloomy title though. Nobody has stolen the game from those of us who go to eL games week in week out. As for "fall and fall"? Another thread on this forum is all about how the eL will be the 23rd best league in Europe.

A bit of positivity goes a long way.

sonofstan
04/10/2006, 1:33 PM
Looks interesting.

Not sure I like the ultra gloomy title though. Nobody has stolen the game from those of us who go to eL games week in week out. As for "fall and fall"? Another thread on this forum is all about how the eL will be the 23rd best league in Europe.

A bit of positivity goes a long way.

You have to admit though, it's a better title than 'Irish Football -it's Not that Bad Really, or why you should love the 23rd best league in Europe'

green-blood
04/10/2006, 1:38 PM
Will be in the shops from 27 Oct according to the publishers. We'll have a review up on walkthechalk.com as soon as we receive a copy. We'll also have a few extra copies to give away as competition prizes.

wont it be a good idea to actually read it first

wws
04/10/2006, 1:48 PM
daire whelan is an ex newstalk off the ball man

Dodge
04/10/2006, 1:53 PM
daire whelan is an ex newstalk off the ball man

Was trying to figure out who he is. AFAIK he doesn't report on the league butthat could be an IT policy decision

BohsPartisan
04/10/2006, 2:12 PM
or why you should love the 23rd best league in Europe'

Dr. Delanelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love 23rd Best League in Europe.

Now there's a title.

pete
04/10/2006, 2:37 PM
I think he stole the title of this (http://books.global-investor.com/books/10875.htm?ginPtrCode=00000)

(btw thats a very good read...)

Stuttgart88
04/10/2006, 2:41 PM
Anyone know the 3 blokes on the cover?

el punter
04/10/2006, 2:54 PM
wont it be a good idea to actually read it first

We've got a Johnny 5 type reading machine here who does the whole highspeeding reading followed by instant critique.

BTW 'Your momma was a snowblower', and you're out of the competition for being a smart arse :)

barney
05/10/2006, 5:13 PM
To be honest I wasn't very impressed with the article in The Dubliner. I didn't think that it gave too much valid analysis of what's wrong and how to improve it. It basically said Eamon Dunphy thinks the league is crap and the FAI are a bunch of idiots. It wasn't balanced and it wasn't very insightful.

sonofstan
05/10/2006, 5:36 PM
Skimmed the article- kind of a bad sign when the first person quoted, approvingly, from the the domestic game is Ollie B.

BohDiddley
05/10/2006, 7:03 PM
Eamon Dunphy
'nuff said.

Jerry The Saint
21/11/2006, 3:24 PM
Did a search for this after seeing Daire Whelan on the panel for that upcoming discussion - so did anyone get around to reading the full thing. Is it as underwhelming as early reports indicated?

Mr A
21/11/2006, 3:25 PM
I spoke to a few people about that book on Sunday. Both reckoned it was useless.

Passive
21/11/2006, 3:42 PM
The book's central theme is that the FAI and the clubs themselves messed up Irish football through infighting and a total lack of vision, an argument which is completely accurate.

I had a feeling that not all EL fans would like it because it lays the blame on the clubs themselves. Not a popular argument, but a very accurate one.

Dodge
21/11/2006, 3:46 PM
If he uses Ollie as a postive for the league I've already made my mind up about it. No problem if they lay the blame at the clubs though.

harps1954
21/11/2006, 3:53 PM
Just finished reading the book. Not as good as I hoped it would be. To me, it's too much dublin orientated. Although he does lay some of the blame on the doors of the clubs, he says that the reasons people starting flocking away from the game was due to the demise of Drumcondra and the sale of milltown. He also said that the success of the Dublin GAA team in the 70's brought the crowds back to the GAA. Only other clubs that really get a mention are Bohs and Shels. He refers to crowds of 30,000 at games in the 50's but only using Rovers/Drums as the example.

Done a few interviews with people, but only really Ollie Byrne in relation to the League clubs. Other people who featured in any depth within the book were Pat Quigley, Brendan Menton, Eamon Dunphy while Roy Dooney and quotes from Delaney feature in the latter parts of the book.

As I said, not as good as I thought it would be and too much dublin orientated.

Philly
21/11/2006, 7:15 PM
I agree. Nearly finished it now. I looked at the index for a mention of Kildare County - no mention. Some other clubs aren't mentioned throughout. No worthwile attendance stats. Extremelt dub-centric. Everything is about Bohs, Rovers, Shels or the "mighty Drums". The author also makes no secrtet of the fact he is a Shels fan, which gets in the way of certain judgement he makes. Also he seems very critical of Bohemians selling Dalymount without offering a decent reason for them to refuse a deal. Indeed it is a negative sentance about Bohs selling the ground that finishes off the whole book. Some of the quotes used, a lot actually, are quotes taken from various ex footballers biographies and not from interviews with the author.

The thing that really got me though was how Dubcentric it was, how poorly researched it was, and how it carried a pessimistic tone throughout - always looking at the bad side. Not a great read.

Ash
22/11/2006, 7:50 AM
Just started it the other day! Dunno if I'll bother finishing it now

paudie
22/11/2006, 12:38 PM
Only bought it on Monday. Should have read this thread first.

Haven't started it but one thing that annoyed me and fits in with the DubCentric criticism in other posts was that he had at least 2 photos subtitled Shels/Rovers v Cork.

Didn't specify Celtic or Hibs.

The rivalry between the clubs was very intense and it struck me as being lazy not to bother saying which club it was.

Another point is that to write a book about EL and not discuss in detail the prospects for non Dublin clubs is ridiculous.
You could argue that EL football hasn't go a chance in Dublin (eg Shels) but successful clubs in Cork/Derry/Galway/Sligo/Drogheda can be identified with the locality and be much stronger in the long term.

Mr_T
22/11/2006, 12:52 PM
Bought this a couple of weeks ago, read the first few chapter and not had time since.

Main points so far is that I agree with the lads entirely. The title should be "Who stole our game in the city of Dublin". No mention of Finn Harps in the index either, which set off alarm bells but I bought it anyway.

He starts it of going on about seeing Shels lift the Premier Tropy in from of only 1,500 and compares this to the glory days of Drums.

I think we all know Shels crowds are a bad example, any other club in the league if they were lifting the Premier title woud have exponentially more in attendance.

el punter
22/11/2006, 8:58 PM
Here's (http://www.walkthechalk.com/eircom/reviews.html)El Punter's review.

We've also got five copies of the book to give away in our end of season competition.

SeanDrog
23/11/2006, 7:35 AM
I am half way through it and although I agree that it is a bit general in many claims but I think the underlining message needs to be taken on board. The clubs and league didn't and it can be argued still do not plan long term, many have no real plans for intergration into the community etc etc Maybe times are changing but the book is about why the league has under performed and I can't so far disagree with many of his ascertions. For me is not a s good as i hoped but I think it is a must real for all el supporters.

TiocfaidhArmani
26/08/2011, 2:16 PM
Anywhere you can get this book?

thischarmingman
26/08/2011, 2:18 PM
http://tinyurl.com/424bxpl

freewheel30
26/08/2011, 5:04 PM
Looks like second hand copies are going for about 50-60 pounds sterling now. Bought mine in Waterstones Cork and I think I might have seen one in there recently but I could have been hallucinating.

Eminence Grise
26/08/2011, 6:36 PM
Anywhere you can get this book?

Would you not wait a few weeks for the Scottish edition?

Only messing. This site tracks books in all Irish public libraries:

http://www.borrowbooks.ie/

Seems to be a few copies floating around.

Lim till i die
27/08/2011, 12:52 AM
Would nae bother.

It kind of sucks.

"Who Sort Of Stole Dublins Game"