PDA

View Full Version : It's international week and...

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 8:37 AM
...neither RTE nor The Irish Times websites have anything at all about the forthcoming games, yet Jonathan Woodgate's likely recall to the English fold is a headline on one.

I'm beginning to think we should just throw in the towel and resign ourselves to the fact that Irish football barely exists in the eyes of the Irish media and instead the grossly overhyped morally corrupt game across the water is all that counts. Maybe the FAI should change their crest again, putting Three Lions in place of whatever the hell the existing crest is supposed to be. It'd make our media more interested.

I knew it was all going wrong when Irish football correspondents like Emmet Malone started to refer to our national team as "The Republic", mimicking their peers in the UK. Personally, I always thought we were from Ireland. I must have been deluded.

drinkfeckarse
02/10/2006, 8:59 AM
It only exists when we are doing well. That's pretty depressing stuff alright.

OwlsFan
02/10/2006, 9:04 AM
The Guardian did :o

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1885215,00.html?gusrc=rss&f

elroy
02/10/2006, 9:12 AM
Front page of sports section of the times:
"No fresh injury concerns for Staunton"

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 9:20 AM
Front page of sports section of the times:
"No fresh injury concerns for Staunton"Paper version I presume? Fair enough, but online there's nothing just yet, yet plenty of reports and commentary on the English game, and England team.

NeilMcD
02/10/2006, 9:30 AM
SOCCER: After a relatively benign weekend of league action for the Republic of Ireland manager, Steve Staunton has made just one addition to his squad for the European Championship qualifiers against Cyprus and the Czech Republic, with Alan Quinn of Sheffield United added to the travelling party.

As of last night Staunton had not heard from any players with news of injuries picked up over the weekend, and the Louth man will have been relieved to see players such as Damien Duff, Steve Carr, Paddy Kenny and Richard Dunne come through 90 minutes of Premiership action without any apparent problems.

Kevin Kilbane, Clinton Morrison and Stephen Ireland started for Wigan and Manchester City, only to be replaced by their managers, but none was reported to have been injured, while Robbie Keane came on for the last 17 minutes of Tottenham's win over Portsmouth.

Aiden McGeady strengthened his case for inclusion in Saturday's starting line-up by scoring Celtic's winner against Falkirk, while Andy Reid played 78 minutes for Charlton before being replaced. Despite the Dubliner's progress since returning from injury, his club manager, Iain Dowie, told journalists after the game, as Staunton had done last week, that the midfielder would only be joining up with the Irish squad ahead of the Czech game.

Stephen Elliott's absence even from the bench for Sunderland's game against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday suggests he is likely to be officially withdrawn by Roy Keane, but Kevin Doyle again performed brightly as Reading maintained their bright start to the season with a 1-0 win over West Ham. Andy O'Brien once again failed to feature in Portsmouth's game yesterday.

Quinn's call up, meanwhile, was prompted by Staunton's lack of options in midfield, although it is surprising the Ireland manager has not also included the more experienced Lee Carsley.

The 27-year-old Sheffield United player was a fairly regular squad member under Brian Kerr but had appeared to slip down the pecking order somewhat under the new man.

He had a good season at club level last year as United won promotion to the Premiership, but Saturday's start against Middlesbrough was his first in the league this year, although he has been coming on late in games.

Carsley, on the other hand, has been a automatic choice for David Moyes since the summer and completed another solid 90 minutes for Everton on Saturday afternoon as the Merseyside club drew with Manchester City. His continued omission in what are clearly difficult times for the new manager seems more than a little odd.

As it happens, a handful of other eligible midfielders also had good weekends. James O'Connor and Alan Mahon found the net for Burnley as they beat Norwich City. Gary Doherty was sent off during the game and his side's defeat cost City manager Nigel Worthington his job afterwards.

Stephen McPhail was another to provide a timely reminder that he has hit form of late, with the Dubliner doing well in Cardiff City's midfield as the Championship leaders overran Mick McCarthy's Wolves in a game that ended in a 4-0 win for the Welsh outfit.

The squad are due to train for the first time tomorrow before departing for Cyprus on Wednesday afternoon.

Cyprus boss Angelos Anastasiadis, meanwhile, has recalled Olympiacos CFP striker Michalis Konstantinou to his squad for next Saturday's game. The manager has come in for considerable criticism since his side lost 6-1 to Slovakia last month and the return of Konstantinou, who has scored two Champions League goals this season, will be seen as a considerable boost to morale.

Wales manager John Toshack, who has been enduring rather similar problems to his Irish counterpart, yesterday called Craig Morgan and Aaron Davies into his squad for the home games against Slovakia and Cyprus.

Morgan replaces Robert Page, who unexpectedly retired from international football, while Davies, a 22-year-old winger, has been rewarded for a series of good performances for his club side over the past couple of months.

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 9:40 AM
Thanks Neil & apologies to the Times, though I still can't find the story yet using my browser.

tetsujin1979
02/10/2006, 9:43 AM
The Indo has a similar story at the top of their football page, although the majority of the rest of it is filled with reports from the weekend's games.

shakermaker1982
02/10/2006, 10:19 AM
O'Connor impressed me yesterday during Burnley's win over Norwich.

We also have another fella playing in a team near the summit of the Premiership at the moment - covers a lot of ground and gets stuck in. Bald fella who has been capped before but I don't think Stan has noticed him.

gustavo
02/10/2006, 10:47 AM
Its easier for the Irish papers to cover English football not just from the point of view that they can say that there is a demand for it but also because it means they dont have to do any work they can just copy and paste match reports and articles from English papers. They even do it for fixture lists whereby the Scottish 3rd division , Irish League 1st division and English League 2 fixtures are all produced ahead of Eircom League fixtures and yes I know I am repeating a point I made in another thread earlier!

pete
02/10/2006, 10:51 AM
Some irish papers like the Indo are full of wire service articles for the guardian or independent & they more likely to have articles about England than Ireland.

Welcome to the world of the eircom league fan. Probably more coverage of the english championship than eL today.

:rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 11:00 AM
wrt the national team I was careful not to single out The Indo as at least it does focus on the Irish team from time-to-time, far more often than The Times. The Examiner is half-decent.

Point taken on the eL coverage.

RogerMilla
02/10/2006, 1:29 PM
the times does great coverage online immediately before and after ireland games imo

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 1:36 PM
The "No Injury Worries" article was in the general Sports section online, but not in the soccer section which I have saved as a "favourite".

That's why I missed it.

You can see what I was getting at: Monday of international week & all I could find on the websites of the 2 most important Irish media sources was some bull about Jonathan bloody Woodgate! Apologies again to the Times, but they're by no means in the clear!