View Full Version : Team for Cyprus game

Pages : [1] 2

Noelys Guitar
01/10/2006, 2:27 PM
Kenny
Carr-------Dunne--------O'Brien--------Finnan

------Carsley--------O'Shea--------Kilbane

------Doyle---------Keane--------Duff

I don't expect McGeady to start even though IMO he should instead of Kilbane.
1.Kenny played well v Boro. Not at fault for Boro goal.
2.Carr is improving again and deserves his place.
3.Dunne outstanding v Everton and should be captain rather than Keane.
4.O'Brien played OK against Germany and again deserves place on that performance.
5.Finnan playing well for Liverpool but at fault for yesterdays 2nd goal against Bolton. Sure to start and deserves to play.
6.Carsley consistently playing well for Everton. Should start against Cyprus.
7.O'Shea. Silence! He will get 20 mins against Cyprus and if no improvement should be replaced by McGeady or Ireland.
8.Kilbane again 20 mins and if not producing then off replaced by McGeady.
9.Doyle. Love to see him score. Very impressed with his play for both club and country. Real plus for Ireland.
10.Keane. I expect him to score against Cyprus. Got his first goal for Spurs so I expect this to kick start his season.
11.Due a goal for Ireland. Playing well for Newcastle and starting to look a bit like his old self. We need the old Duff now more than ever.

Stan- Better get things right Oct 7- This team is good enough to beat Cyprus. If we play reasonbly well and beat Cyprus then Stan will deserve the plaudits. Any manager worth his salt would expect to beat Cyprus with the players we have available. So lets kick start the campaign with a decent win.

livehead1
01/10/2006, 2:53 PM
McGeady looks to have scored the winner for Cetic today in 84th minute, should he start?

mjpcc
01/10/2006, 3:22 PM
McGeady looks to have scored the winner for Cetic today in 84th minute, should he start?

Definitely, did you see Hartson's quote about him.

Former Celtic striker John Hartson believes that Aiden McGeady could soon attract bids of £20m. (Sunday Mail/Post).

Against Cyprus we need an attacking team and McGeady deserves his place now. Suggest

Kenny
Carr Dunne O Brien Finnan
McGeady Carsley O Shea Duff (mcGeady Duff interchangable)
Keane Doyle

Mind you it's hard to see Stan dropping Kilbane as he is playing well for Wigan but I hope he plays Carsley as it gives him a chance to prove himself before the Czech game. But then he has not called him up yet.

the defense was solid enough against Germany (yea lucky too) and Carsley would be solid in front of them while the attach should keep the Cypriots on the defensive and be well capable of scoring a few goals.

Still worry about central midfield against the Czechs but if we did the business against Cyprus they would be going into Lansdowne full of confidence.

Qwerty
01/10/2006, 3:33 PM
Kenny
Carr-------Dunne--------O'Brien--------Finnan

------Carsley--------O'Shea--------Kilbane

------Doyle---------Keane--------Duff

I don't expect McGeady to start even though IMO he should instead of Kilbane.
1.Kenny played well v Boro. Not at fault for Boro goal.
2.Carr is improving again and deserves his place.
3.Dunne outstanding v Everton and should be captain rather than Keane.
4.O'Brien played OK against Germany and again deserves place on that performance.
5.Finnan playing well for Liverpool but at fault for yesterdays 2nd goal against Bolton. Sure to start and deserves to play.
6.Carsley consistently playing well for Everton. Should start against Cyprus.
7.O'Shea. Silence! He will get 20 mins against Cyprus and if no improvement should be replaced by McGeady or Ireland.
8.Kilbane again 20 mins and if not producing then off replaced by McGeady.
9.Doyle. Love to see him score. Very impressed with his play for both club and country. Real plus for Ireland.
10.Keane. I expect him to score against Cyprus. Got his first goal for Spurs so I expect this to kick start his season.
11.Due a goal for Ireland. Playing well for Newcastle and starting to look a bit like his old self. We need the old Duff now more than ever.

Stan- Better get things right Oct 7- This team is good enough to beat Cyprus. If we play reasonbly well and beat Cyprus then Stan will deserve the plaudits. Any manager worth his salt would expect to beat Cyprus with the players we have available. So lets kick start the campaign with a decent win.

Hmn, so you'd hamper the team by not plaing 4-4-2? We play 4-4-2 end of story, no point complicating things, we don't have Dutch players playing us. I'd play 4-4-2 and drop Duff and play McGeady in his place.

eirebhoy
01/10/2006, 3:54 PM
We can't drop Duff for a game like this. He's usually fantastic in these kind of games. He set up 2 goals in the home game against Cyprus last year (cross for Morrison header and won a peno).

Noelys Guitar
01/10/2006, 5:07 PM
Hmn, so you'd hamper the team by not plaing 4-4-2? We play 4-4-2 end of story, no point complicating things, we don't have Dutch players playing us. I'd play 4-4-2 and drop Duff and play McGeady in his place.

No. But I believe Stan will play the team I have mentioned above. And go with a kind of 4-3-3.

shakermaker1982
01/10/2006, 6:40 PM
has Carsley been called up after all the injuries?

I'd keep Finnan at RB, let him play where he can be most effective. MacGeady must start against a team like Cyprus - with a bit of luck he has a stormer and gets the Czech's worried.

elroy
02/10/2006, 9:09 AM
Kenny
Carr O'Brien Dunne Finnan
McGeady O'Shea Kilbane Duff
Doyle Keane

I'd be nearly certain thats the team he will play, though not the one I would agree with. CM is too weak but may survive against Cyprus.

Did anyone see the Man U game yday, Carr was given the run around by Ronaldo and Duff was non existent-i really how my doubts about the guys attitude.

ifk101
02/10/2006, 9:21 AM
Kenny
McGeady O'Shea Kilbane Duff
Doyle Keane

I'd be nearly certain thats the team he will play, though not the one I would agree with. CM is too weak but may survive against Cyprus.

Did anyone see the Man U game yday, Carr was given the run around by Ronaldo and Duff was non existent-i really how my doubts about the guys attitude.

I think Trevor Francis made a comment about how poor Carr was yesterday during the match. All the more ironic in the fact that Roeder had praised Carr's performances prior to the ManUre match.

Being honest, I haven't seen Carr put in a decent performance since his Spurs days.

tetsujin1979
02/10/2006, 9:54 AM
With Carsley not in the squad, I reckon it's going to look like
Kenny
McGeady O'Shea Miller Duff
Keane Doyle

BTW - this is not necessarily the team I would pick, just what I think Staunton is going to go with.
With Andy O'Brien not making the Portsmouth 16 for the Spurs game, it makes the exclusion of McCarthy stranger and stranger with every passing minute

shakermaker1982
02/10/2006, 10:08 AM
O'Brien hasn't played a game for Portsmouth this season (is he playing any reserve footie?) - he'll be nice and sharpe for the forthcoming matches!

I really do think he'll play Kilbane and O'Shea in the centre. Finnan will be at LB.

tetsujin1979
02/10/2006, 10:10 AM
He played in the League Cup game against Mansfield, where they conceded their first goal of the season, Kiely was also in goals for that match
http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=495455

shakermaker1982
02/10/2006, 10:15 AM
I forgot about the League Cup, cheers.

To not give the Leciester lad a chance is a joke. If Dunne or O'Brien pull a muscle this week who steps in? O'Shea? I don't think my nerves could stand it next Wednesday if that were the case with Rosicky and Baros running at him. Or maybe St Ledger and McShane could fill the breach. Sink or swim lads.

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 11:12 AM
Or maybe St Ledger and McShane could fill the breach. Sink or swim lads.

I'd have picked McCarthy for friendlies ages ago, but again I think if Staunton has made the value judgment that SSL and McShane are better than McCarthy, then so be it. I'm not sure he has though.

If McCarthy and SSL haven't been watched by Staunton or his team at least a dozen times by now it'd be a disgrace. There's too much bull written in the Indo & Herald about McCarthy's disciplinerary record. Most of his cards were in the first half of last season, practically his first experience in a first team. If he was such a headcase he'd hardly be club captain at 23.

SSL's versatility (full-back cover) may be a factor. Then again, Big Ron's recommendation is more likely to be the reason.

cavan_fan
02/10/2006, 12:05 PM
The team I would like to see:

Kenny
Finnan O'Brien Dunne O'Shea
McGeady Douglas Carsley Duff
Keane Doyle

The team I think Stan will pick

Kenny
Kilbane O'Shea Miller
Doyle Duff
Keane

Stan is growing even more bizarre in his decisions. I presume that Carsley has spoken to Stan about coming back and got some sort of reassurance. Not picking him means that we've just alienated a guy who could do a job for a year or 2.

Noelys Guitar
02/10/2006, 12:21 PM
The team I would like to see:

Kenny
Finnan O'Brien Dunne O'Shea
McGeady Douglas Carsley Duff
Keane Doyle

The team I think Stan will pick

Kenny
Kilbane O'Shea Miller
Doyle Duff
Keane

Stan is growing even more bizarre in his decisions. I presume that Carsley has spoken to Stan about coming back and got some sort of reassurance. Not picking him means that we've just alienated a guy who could do a job for a year or 2.

Cavanman spot on team. There could be a vacancy next week are you interested?

cavan_fan
02/10/2006, 1:01 PM
I'd have to get me mum to go into Dunnes and get me a suit like Stan's

Noelys Guitar
02/10/2006, 1:20 PM
I'd have to get me mum to go into Dunnes and get me a suit like Stan's

War on want is Stans tailor.

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 1:28 PM
The knives really are out aren't they?

cavan_fan
02/10/2006, 1:52 PM
Alothough it is being a bit bitchy there is a point here. One of the things a number of friends who are not great football fans have said is that Stan looks like he's a young guy on work placement. He certainly doesnt come across as being in charge.

I think that he knows this and in an effort to stamp his authority he is trying to make 'tough' decisions (e.g calling up Dixon, St Ledger, not calling up McCarthy, Carsley).

Managing Ireland is not that tough a job. The team sort of picks itself and we havent got a huge number of tactical options. Stan is so keen to prove to us (and himself?) that he is up to it that he is overcomplicating things, even goign down the failed McCarthy route of non 4-4-2.

So in the end a proper suit for Stan will lead to greater success!

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 2:00 PM
Yellow or beige shirts never work, it's true.

Stan's errors against Chile & Holland were not altering the shape, but rather employing square pegs in round holes to do so.

There's barely a player in England who hasn't had experience playing in 4-3-3/4-5-1 at this stage anyway so I don't think it's such a radical change. I think central midfield is such a problem that 3 rather than 2 could work.

I'd like to have had Carsley in the team but I'm very confident about Quinn's ability & playing him agains Cyprus would be a bold move. The more players we've lost the more it appears certain that O'Shea will keep his place. I'd be happy for Quinn to start. His style would be a breath of frsh air, I can almost guarantee it.

Just for info, he played LHM on Saturday. The Times gave him 7/10.

ken foree
02/10/2006, 2:11 PM
Just for info, he played LHM on Saturday. The Times gave him 7/10.

from what i saw he linked very well with the left back at one point and showed a willingess to find the ball quite frequently all over the pitch. does he usually play wide for them?

NeilMcD
02/10/2006, 2:15 PM
He played very well against Holland in Amsterdam. I feel that Miller, Reid, Quinn and Mc Phail are all very similar players. Very good passers who lack a bit of physical stature and consistancy. This is why they are not top level players. Buf if somebody asked me would I prefer any of them to Kilbane, I would say yes. Give me a footballer over mullagh any day of the week.

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 2:17 PM
Not always. From about the two-thirds mark of last season he actually lost his place. Up to then he played a lot on the left, sometimes on the right and sometimes in the middle. I thought initially it was odd that they played him on the left but Owls Fan reminded me that this was his normal position at Wednesday. Any time he's played for Ireland has been in the middle and in my opinion he's always done well. The late call-up suggests Stan won't pick him though.

Noelys Guitar
02/10/2006, 2:19 PM
Saw the whole game Stuggart and Quinn did play well. Set up one very good chance and consistently found teammates. Reminds me a bit of Houghton. Taken off near the end.

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 2:20 PM
I feel that Miller, Reid, Quinn and Mc Phail are all very similar players. I'd say that of those 4, Quinn has the most bite of all. He's a very proactive player and is tougher than Miller & McPhail in particular. I think Douglas has a bit of bite too but put him or Quinn up against an Essien type player then sure, they'd be gobbled up, but who wouldn't?

And yes, give me a footballer in the middle all day long.

Stuttgart88
02/10/2006, 2:21 PM
Reminds me a bit of Houghton. Good call that.

shakermaker1982
02/10/2006, 2:31 PM
I'd play Quinn, what have we got to lose? Anything is better than O'Shea and Kilbane who are on autopilot.

What I hope he goes for after all these injuries is as follows (it is changing by the day after losing both Reid's, Kavanagh and no Carsley):

Kenny

Finnan----O'Brien----Dunne----O'Shea

MacGeady----Quinn-----Douglas----Duff

-------Keane------------Doyle

I would contemplate 4-3-3 if we had a few more of the experienced lads to play in the 3.

Dr. Ogba
02/10/2006, 2:41 PM
Team I'd like to see Stan play (from players currently in the squad)

Kenny

Carr Dunne (c) O'Brien Finnan

McGeady Quinn O'Shea Duff (McGeady/Duff interchangeable)

Doyle Keane

I think he'll more than likely play Kilbane instead though unfortunately even though Quinn offers something a bit different. Also I think he has no excuses whatsoever now not to pick McGeady for a must win against a poor Cyprus side....
He should be getting the lads (especially Duff/McGeady) to play with a lot more freedom for these games, have a go at these teams and we might just get something out of both games :o

mjpcc
02/10/2006, 3:11 PM
Team I'd like to see Stan play (from players currently in the squad)

Kenny

Carr Dunne (c) O'Brien Finnan

McGeady Quinn O'Shea Duff (McGeady/Duff interchangeable)

Doyle Keane

I think he'll more than likely play Kilbane instead though unfortunately even though Quinn offers something a bit different. Also I think he has no excuses whatsoever now not to pick McGeady for a must win against a poor Cyprus side....
He should be getting the lads (especially Duff/McGeady) to play with a lot more freedom for these games, have a go at these teams and we might just get something out of both games :o

Totally agree about McGeady. It is sh.te or bust time and the team he sends out against Cyprus will clearly tell us whether he is going to go for it or not.

We are better than Cyprus and should expect to beat them. I know we were crap last time we played them but there was an absence of team spirit then. If Stan has the team behind him and they go out with the attitude the had against Germany we should be well able for them.

dr_peepee
03/10/2006, 2:40 AM
Lads,

It's written in stone that Kenny, Finnan, O'Brien. Dunne, Carr, O'Shea, Kilbane, Duff, Keane & Doyle will start. The 11th player and how they take the field is anyones guess??

theworm2345
03/10/2006, 3:45 AM
Lads,

It's written in stone that Kenny, Finnan, O'Brien. Dunne, Carr, O'Shea, Kilbane, Duff, Keane & Doyle will start. The 11th player and how they take the field is anyones guess??
Probably be McGeady or Andy Reid (he is fit, right?)

dr_peepee
03/10/2006, 5:04 AM
Probably be McGeady or Andy Reid (he is fit, right?)

Reid is out of the Cyrus game but is in contention for the Czechs. Would be very surprised if McGeady starts. I think stan'll go for Miller, Quinn or Douglas. I think McGeady will be used as an impact sub if to replace duff, or maybe exploit space if the oppostion do the usual and double up on Duff. But like I said, you never know what the man is thinking.

Stuttgart88
03/10/2006, 7:46 AM
Papers suggest Carr may be injured.

Dr. Ogba
03/10/2006, 8:29 AM
Papers suggest Carr may be injured.

Whats the story with Harte? Is he back playing yet? Would be an ideal replacement if fit...

drinkfeckarse
03/10/2006, 8:44 AM
Why is Andy Reid not being considered for Saturday but he's ok for the Czech match? He played 78 minutes at the weekend. He's not injured again is he?

shakermaker1982
03/10/2006, 8:56 AM
I think Dowie had a word in Stan's ear. Roeder also made it clear that Duff would not be playing until he proved his fitness.

tetsujin1979
03/10/2006, 9:28 AM
Whats the story with Harte? Is he back playing yet? Would be an ideal replacement if fit...

Still not back, and Levante are doing ok without him - 12th after 5 games, on a run of 2 wins and a draw after losing their opening 2 games - so it's not written in stone that he'll go back into the side when he is fit.

eirebhoy
03/10/2006, 10:50 AM
I think Dowie had a word in Stan's ear. Roeder also made it clear that Duff would not be playing until he proved his fitness.
Whatever about Andy Reid who hasn't been fully fit for the best part of a year, Duff is definitely playing whether Roeder likes it or not. He came through the full 90 minutes on Sunday unscathed.

NeilMcD
03/10/2006, 10:54 AM
Reid is going through some pre season thraining this week and to be honest I have no problem wit that. Between the travelling etc with the Ireland squad I think he is better staying in london until Monday and Dowie is going to put him through a rigorous programme. Dowie is bit into fitness and has used Australian Rugby Union and League fitness experts as part of his staff. I would prefer to see Reid against the Czechs rather than travel to Cyprus. Good call in my view by Dowie.

murtybyrne
03/10/2006, 12:51 PM
Reckon With the news of injuries and all things considered this is the team I would like to see this Sat

GK: Kenny

RB : Finnan
LB : Kilbane
CB: O' Brien
CB: Dunne

RM: McGeady
LM: Duff
CM: O' Shea
CM: Miller

ST: Keane (c)
ST: Doyle

irishfan86
04/10/2006, 1:21 AM
---------------Kenny-----------

Finnan----Dunne---O'Brien---Kilbane

McGeady--O'Shea--Miller----Duff

------Keane---Morrison-----

Doyle isn't fully healthy, so this way we can give him a rest before the Czech game. Bring him on for the second half for Morrison if it's 0-0 or god forbid we're down.

Stuttgart88
04/10/2006, 8:09 AM
---------------Kenny-----------

Finnan----Dunne---O'Brien---Kilbane

McGeady--O'Shea--Miller----Duff

------Keane---Morrison-----

That's the team I think he'll pick and probably as good as we can put out. O'Shea and Miller will really have to up their games. We simply have to have a fully effective midfield.

Dr. Ogba
04/10/2006, 9:28 AM
That's the team I think he'll pick and probably as good as we can put out. O'Shea and Miller will really have to up their games. We simply have to have a fully effective midfield.

Sudden surge of optimism

I actually think that's not a bad team...at least Miller can pass the ball forward and we would have width on both flanks along with the unpredictability factor...

If (and thats a big IF) he picks that team I think we'll win comfortably in Cyprus and could get something out of the Czech match...

NeilMcD
04/10/2006, 9:31 AM
Yeah that should be the team and its not that bad one. In many ways its a better team that the German game with the exception of Morrisson for Doyle.

irishfan86
04/10/2006, 4:11 PM
Cheers for the endorsements lads. I wrote a letter to the FAI demanding that Stan be sacked. Along with it I sent in my application for manager, citing your posts as recommendations.

One thing I am interested in is the fact that O'Shea is listed among the defenders in the squad, and on eleven-a-side this quotation in particular drew my attention:

"With John O’Shea expected to be shunted into the back four, midfield is an area which looks short on cover, but Staunton has resisted the public clamour to recall experienced Everton star Lee Carsley and will not be making any further additions to the squad."

So who knows what could happen at this stage. I rate O'Brien as a better defender than O'Shea, but his lack of first team football may be a concern for Stan, and if he drops to defense, that leaves things quite shaky in my opinion with O'Shea and Killer back there. Fine for Cyprus, any team we put out should do the job against them, but against the Czechs that selection could be the end of us.

shakermaker1982
04/10/2006, 6:22 PM
would you guys risk Kilbane at LB? Maybe he'll play Finnan at LB, St Ledger at RB and that way he can keep O'Shea and Kilbane (the dream team MF pairing) in the centre.

Dallasirish
05/10/2006, 12:58 PM
If Keane does not score in Cyprus he should be dropped to the bench for Wednesday and Bling Bling and Doyle put up front. When is the Last time he had a good game for Ireland? Drop him- he needs to wake up! A World class striker creates Goals - Keane has to be handed them in the 6yd box!

IsMiseSean
05/10/2006, 1:16 PM
Kenny
Finnan
O'Shea
O'Brien
Dunne
McGeady
Kilbane
Miller
Duff
Doyle
Keane (C)

If McPhail was in the squad I'd have him starting ahead of Miller

NeilMcD
05/10/2006, 1:37 PM
Would you not have Kilbane at left full and O Shea at centre mid. Better balance players playing on the same side as they kick the ball with and Kilbane is not anywhere our centre mid. He can has pace, can tackle, good in the air and break up play and has decent positioning. Sounds like a left back to me. He has an ok cross too.