PDA

View Full Version : European Campaign Review 2006

pete
29/09/2006, 12:36 PM
2.833 coefficient points
6 wins 4 draws & 4 defeats.
All 3 teams in the CL & Uefa Cup get past 1st round qualifier.

35th overall in europe & 17th for this season. Only 6 other countries can get more more points than us this season so 23rd would e the lowest could be.

Overall has be a big milestone for the eL in europe. I think it helped we had the 4 best teams playing this year.

paudie
29/09/2006, 12:48 PM
Am I right in saying that next years CL qualifier will definitely be seeded but UEFA Cup qualifiers may not be.

Would Shels and Derry be seeded in UEFA Cup due to having earned coefficient points from the UEFA first round proper?

pete
29/09/2006, 12:55 PM
This season required 1.760 points for CL seeding & 1.925 points in Uefa Cup 1st round qualifier seeding.

Next season eL clubs will have 2.145 points for seeding purposes but Shels & Derry will have 3.145 points.

Its difficult to calculate as depends on what teams qualifier for other countries (will they have thier own ranking points like Shels and Derry) but I think we can say Shels & Derry City will be seeded & will be tight for other teams.

I think this years performances have to be welcomed as eL sides unseeded in all those games.

pineapple stu
29/09/2006, 1:03 PM
No team will pass us out from below on their own rankings points, I think.

So the league winners will be seeded next year, and Shels or Derry will be seeded in the UEFA if they end up there.

35th in the UEFA rankings - up 5 places from last year.

NY Hoop
29/09/2006, 1:18 PM
2.833 coefficient points
6 wins 4 draws & 2 defeats.
All 3 teams in the CL & Uefa Cup get past 1st round qualifier.

35th overall in europe & 17th for this season. Only 6 other countries can get more more points than us this season so 23rd would e the lowest could be.

Overall has be a big milestone for the eL in europe. I think it helped we had the 4 best teams playing this year.

4 defeats actually. Red Star twice, IK Start and last night.

Overall 18 played with 9 wins, 4 draws and 5 defeats. Best season ever for Irish clubs in Europe.

And there are still clowns out there that want to go back to mudball?:rolleyes: :eek:

KOH

pete
29/09/2006, 1:29 PM
4 defeats actually. Red Star twice, IK Start and last night.

Yes, that was a typo, will correct now.

BohsFans
29/09/2006, 9:01 PM
Is everybody bracing themselves for whatever Sunday paper pays Roddy to say Irish teams are sh1t in Europe.

Aaron
29/09/2006, 9:04 PM
Overall, delighted at the european campaign, not just for my beloved Derry City but also for Cork and Shels. A lot of good performances this season, may it continue

SPXcyan
29/09/2006, 9:09 PM
as a neutral!! I loved every moment of it!! fantasy stuff :D hope someone will go a step further next year :D how great would that be :O

BohsFans
29/09/2006, 9:13 PM
I maybe slated for this, but is anyone worried that their will be a poor team in the UC next season?
Derry are the best team left in the FAI Cup and will probably finish 1st or 2nd in the league, which if they get to the cup final, their opponents will qualify for the UC.

We've had some poor 'cup teams' in Europe in the last few years disgracing the league.

Bray (after relegation I think) lost 8-0

Dundalk (after relegation) lost 8/9-0, 2nd leg played in front of <1,000

Longford to the Welsh minnows!

gspain
29/09/2006, 9:17 PM
Champions league seeding is almost guaranteed. There is a highly unlikely series of possibilites that could deny us that include one of Derry/Shels not winning the league and about 4 other teams winning their national championships that have club coefficients.

Impossible to know yet re the UEFA Cup but one of Derry/Shels should be OK with the other club maybe losing out depending on where the Fair play teams come from etc etc.

gspain
29/09/2006, 9:19 PM
I maybe slated for this, but is anyone worried that their will be a poor team in the UC next season?
Derry are the best team left in the FAI Cup and will probably finish 1st or 2nd in the league, which if they get to the cup final, their opponents will qualify for the UC.

We've had some poor 'cup teams' in Europe in the last few years disgracing the league.

Bray (after relegation I think) lost 8-0

Dundalk (after relegation) lost 8/9-0, 2nd leg played in front of <1,000

Longford to the Welsh minnows!

If Derry win the cup the runners up only qualify for Europe if Derry also win the league.

pineapple stu
30/09/2006, 12:24 AM
It's a possibility obviously, but sh!t happens, and the lower clubs need the European experience as well to improve.

Anyway, we've always done well in Europe - sure we'll win the Cup and sort your problem out. :)

Could see Sligo doing OK as well.

pete
30/09/2006, 10:28 AM

Thats a big concern for the Uefa Cup next year but hopefully with a possible seeding might help them.

Almost guaranteed europe next year - Shels, Derry City
Possible teams for europe next year - Cork City, Drogheda, Pats, Sligo, Athlone/Rovers.

thomas
01/10/2006, 12:06 PM
Thats a big concern for the Uefa Cup next year but hopefully with a possible seeding might help them.

Possible teams for europe next year - Cork City, Drogheda, Pats, Sligo, Athlone/Rovers.

Good point, Rovers, Sligs (Killester?) and Pats would be lacking that bit of experience at the higher level, but then who knows what state this years decent clubs will be in next season. look at carks clearout for example.

pete
01/10/2006, 5:46 PM
Make that now:

Possible teams for europe next year - Cork City, Drogheda, Pats, Sligo, Rovers, UCD.

Its got to be a big concern that Shamrock Rovers and UCD would be representing us.

A face
01/10/2006, 6:23 PM
Make that now:

Possible teams for europe next year - Cork City, Drogheda, Pats, Sligo, Rovers, UCD.

Its got to be a big concern that Shamrock Rovers and UCD would be representing us.

Just as long as all team get past the first round (hopefully with wins) then that would be a good return

pete
01/10/2006, 6:26 PM
Just as long as all team get past the first round (hopefully with wins) then that would be a good return

I cannot see UCD or Shamrock Rovers progressing past 1 round. Sligo & Pats would have ok chance if they seeded but unlikely to get through if unseeded.

Poor Student
01/10/2006, 6:39 PM
UCD have beaten Sligo twice this season and are one point behind Pat's. There's not much quality difference between the three sides.

We'll hardly get past Derry, so it's not much of an issue.

EnDai
01/10/2006, 6:51 PM
UCD have beaten Sligo twice this season and are one point behind Pat's. There's not much quality difference between the three sides.

Not looking too bad so far tonight, well, score wise (as thats all I know! :D).

BohsFans
01/10/2006, 6:55 PM

Have to disagree there. You have to admit UCD are shocking going forward and couldn't score to save their lives this season. Sligo especially and Pat's are streets ahead in that regard.
You need an established goalscorer. I think you'll agree.

Poor Student
01/10/2006, 6:56 PM
Not looking too bad so far tonight, well, score wise (as thats all I know! :D).

It's postive enough, but it's a big ask to beat Derry. We haven't beaten a top team this season.

EnDai
01/10/2006, 7:24 PM
Would have been happy had you dragged them to a replay and added another game into their schedule! :) Unfortunately, that wasn't to be! :(

pete
01/10/2006, 9:42 PM

I think i was talking more about the type of football teams play. Sligo only just won the 1st division last but clearly played a superior quality of football. Likewise Pats not great but do try to pass the ball.

Poor Student
01/10/2006, 9:45 PM
Yeah, their Sligo's superior style of football was rather useful when we beat them 3-0. Pat's try to pass the ball and we don't? What are you on about? When it comes to European competition, the best quality of football is the one that gets you results.

pineapple stu
02/10/2006, 12:50 PM
It's got to be a big concern that...UCD would be representing us.
Yepo, 'cos we've always embarrassed ourselves in Europe. :rolleyes:

The Stars
02/10/2006, 2:44 PM
UCD play good football,whenever ive seen them play.Have playmaker in midfield who could unlock any defence in Europe with a through ball.

Poor Student
02/10/2006, 4:54 PM
Have playmaker in midfield who could unlock any defence in Europe with a through ball.

We do?:eek:

pineapple stu
02/10/2006, 4:55 PM
Yeah, their Sligo's superior style of football was rather useful when we beat them 3-0. Pat's try to pass the ball and we don't? What are you on about? When it comes to European competition, the best quality of football is the one that gets you results.
Ah now, sure Sligo would go out and entertain us in a 3-0 defeat, while we'd bore people in a 2-0 win. Which do you think is more likely to bring the crowds to eL football?

I think pete's making an arse of himself again on another petty anti-UCD rant. I'm torn between reporting him and encouraging him.

Have to disagree there. You have to admit UCD are shocking going forward and couldn't score to save their lives this season. Sligo especially and Pat's are streets ahead in that regard.
You need an established goalscorer. I think you'll agree.
Yes and no. The goals have dried up this season and we do need an established goalscorer. We balance it out by having a superb defence though. You don't rate teams by their forwards.

In five games against Sligo and Pat's, we've won twice (both fairly comfortably against Sligo), drawn twice and lost just once. So there's clearly not much difference between the teams, as was the point being made.

BohsFans
03/10/2006, 4:54 PM
You don't rate teams by their forwards.

It doesn't matter if you do or not. Good forwards (ie a goalscorer) are the difference between UCD becoming a good team and staying mediocre and boring.

Schumi
03/10/2006, 4:56 PM
It doesn't matter if you do or not. Good forwards (ie a goalscorer) are the difference between UCD becoming a good team and staying mediocre and boring.
But we're no more mediocre than Pats, I'd be just as worried about them being in Europe as us.

BohsFans
03/10/2006, 5:08 PM
But we're no more mediocre than Pats, I'd be just as worried about them being in Europe as us.

Sorry but I'd rather a mediocre that scored than one that didn't!

Nothing against UCD, I just think your a boring team to watch.

pineapple stu
03/10/2006, 9:18 PM
You're now rating teams by whether or not they're boring. That's nothing to do with whether or not they're any good.

The league table and the results this season shows there isn't a huge gap between UCD, Sligo and Pat's.

Good forwards (ie a goalscorer) are the difference between UCD becoming a good team and staying mediocre and boring.
By that same logic, a good defence is the difference between Sligo and Pat's becoming a good team and staying relatively mediocre yet a bit entertaining. They're still a mid-table team.

pete
04/10/2006, 11:54 AM
The league table and the results this season shows there isn't a huge gap between UCD, Sligo and Pat's.

Sligo are 11 & 12 points clear of Pats & UCD. If you took 12 points off UCD would be in relegation contention (if there was relegation) & similarily 12 extra poiints for Sligo would put them top. 12 points is a lot in the eL.

Paraic
04/10/2006, 3:23 PM
We do?:eek:

yeah, reckon he's talking about Finn - ran rings around sligo in the first half of the last game at the showgrounds.

Just to put this debate into perspective, Sligo are now going to embark on an unbeaten run in the next 7 league games, including wins over the top four sides, Coupled with Shels going bust, Derry running out steam, Rico and Georgie reconciling and Drogheda keepin' on drawing, the Bit O'Red will claim the league title for the first time since 1977. After a comprehensive win(the first in 15? years) over College in the fai cup final, both Sligo Rovers and UCD shall lead us to european glory next year.

Then we'll go back to winter soccer..........

BohsFans
04/10/2006, 4:32 PM
You're now rating teams by whether or not they're boring. That's nothing to do with whether or not they're any good.

By that same logic, a good defence is the difference between Sligo and Pat's becoming a good team and staying relatively mediocre yet a bit entertaining. They're still a mid-table team.

I never said anything about rating teams, I just said:

I'd rather a mediocre that scored than one that didn't!

Can you accept that that is my opinion? :confused:

Schumi
04/10/2006, 4:50 PM
I'd rather a mediocre that scored than one that didn't!Fair enough but a mediocre team that concedes is unlikely to be successful in Europe either!

BohsFans
04/10/2006, 5:29 PM
Fair enough but a mediocre team that concedes is unlikely to be successful in Europe either!

I know that, but how do you win football matches if you don't score goals ;)

You can always adopt the old 'we'll score more than you approach'!

pineapple stu
04/10/2006, 5:39 PM
How do you lose matches if you don't concede goals? Kept Ireland going for the guts of ten years and no-one was complaining.

BohsFans
04/10/2006, 10:51 PM
How do you lose matches if you don't concede goals? Kept Ireland going for the guts of ten years and no-one was complaining.

:rolleyes:

How do you win games if you don't score goals, smart arse?

pineapple stu
05/10/2006, 12:45 PM
Eh...we do score goals. Just not very many.

As I said, same formula that kept Ireland fans happy for the guts of a decade.

ger121
05/10/2006, 4:05 PM
How off topic has this thread gone. A tit for tat from two clubs who weren't in europe nor won't be next season:rolleyes:

SPXcyan
06/10/2006, 6:38 PM
http://www.irishfootienetwork.com/gallery/d/1440-2/grek_derry.wmv
Derry fans and PSG fans!! got this from another forum :D classy stuff!!

pineapple stu
07/10/2006, 2:49 AM
:rolleyes:

How do you win games if you don't score goals, smart arse?
<COUGH> 4-0! <COUGH!> :)