PDA

View Full Version : Kavanagh and S.Reid out!

Pages : [1] 2

wallis
28/09/2006, 12:23 PM
No Elliot , Given and now Kavanagh for our crucial double qualifier.

Sunderland midfielder Graham Kavanagh has been ruled out for four to six weeks with a knee injury.

The Republic of Ireland midfielder will have surgery on the problem after a scan on his knee revealed cartilage damage.

The news will come as a blow to both Black Cats boss Roy Keane and Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton after Kavanagh's impressive start for the Wearsiders since joining from Wigan in August.

Staunton will be forced to do without the services of Kavanagh for the Euro 2008 qualifiers against Cyprus and the Czech Republic

The Legend
28/09/2006, 4:38 PM
If he doesnt bring Carsley back now, he should be fired!

Fubar
28/09/2006, 4:40 PM
they are dropping like flies im afraid to read the papers now...

John83
28/09/2006, 6:51 PM
If he doesnt bring Carsley back now, he should be fired!
Man, it's sad that we're relying on him. He's 32 as well. Time for the likes of Miller, Douglas and Ireland to step up. I wish they looked ready for it. :(

DmanDmythDledge
28/09/2006, 9:56 PM
Man, it's sad that we're relying on him. He's 32 as well.
I think he has just peaked late.

Qwerty
28/09/2006, 9:58 PM
I think Kavanagh out for 4-6 weeks is a positive, I don't think he has anything to offer us. I've seen enough, next please.

as_i_say
29/09/2006, 6:54 AM
i agree-no loss. hoofing the ball and constant fouling does nothing for us though we're not exactly blessed with replacements.

shakermaker1982
29/09/2006, 11:08 AM
Steven Reid is defo out now. RTE have just put it up on their website.......we'll have no bloody MF at this rate!

eirebhoy
29/09/2006, 11:12 AM
Even still, if it means that Carsley gets a call up and McGeady gets a start then we'll already have fielded a better midfield than the one in Stuttgart.

Irish Pride
29/09/2006, 11:13 AM
Steven Reid is out of the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2008 qualifiers against Cyprus and the Czech Republic.

The Blackburn Rovers midfielder has not played since injuring his back in the opening qualifying defeat to Germany in Stuttgart at the start of the month.

Reid did travel to Austria for the first leg of Blackburn's UEFA Cup first-round tie against Red Bull Salzburg a fortnight ago.

However, it was evident during the training session at the Bulls Arena the evening prior to the game the injury would not allow him to play.

Reid has since seen a chiropractor to discover the extent of the problem, with the hope of returning after the international break.

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes said: 'Steven is improving, but his recovery is not going as fast as we would like, so he certainly won't be involved against Wigan this Sunday.

'He also won't be involved with Ireland. He hasn't kicked a ball or been out with the group for about two weeks. So there's no point his going because he wouldn't be in a fit state to play.

'It is better for him, us and Ireland if he stays behind and has intensive treatment morning and afternoon, and let's see if we can get him back quickly.

'Hopefully then he will be available for selection after this break coming up.'

He added: 'But it's difficult with back injuries. It's fairly difficult to nail down what the actual problem is, and he is still feeling discomfort.

'He had injections in his back a couple of days ago, and we are hoping it will calm things down. Over the next few days we will see if it has had an effect.'

With another midfielder in Graham Kavanagh also out after knee surgery yesterday, the door is open for Lee Carsley to return to the international fold.

Carsley has not played for his country for two and a half years after deciding to concentrate on club football with Everton and his family at the time.

But the 32-year-old, who has won 29 caps, telephoned Ireland boss Steve Staunton on Tuesday to let him know he was ready to end his exile.

Earlier this week, Staunton confirmed: 'Lee phoned me and said he wishes to be considered for selection as he has now re-established himself in the Everton first team, and that is welcome.'

With obvious problems in the central midfield area, Carsley may now get the nod for the 7 October game with Cyprus in Nicosia and the 11 October clash with the Czechs at Lansdowne Road.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0929/reids.html

I bet this will be a really bad weeked for us in the premisership! loads of players will get injuried! Stan HAS to call up Carsley......he is one of the top midfeilders in the premiership right now!

BradyIsMyHero
29/09/2006, 11:30 AM
Carsley should have been there in the first place, but he must get a call up now. Otherwise, Stan is the muppet that he looks like

elroy
29/09/2006, 11:33 AM
I hope stan isnt going to let his pride stand in the way and will call up and play carsley.

eirebhoy
29/09/2006, 11:34 AM
He really does make it hard for himself. Saying publicly that McCarthy isn't ready yet and then saying he's forgetting about Holland and Carsley. It does make that phone call a bit more awkward. :)

Fubar
29/09/2006, 11:58 AM
i hope he gives mattie a call...

cheifo
29/09/2006, 12:01 PM
McPhail?

Stuttgart88
29/09/2006, 12:03 PM
What's the great surprise? Even if Steven Reid had made the trip it'd have been daft to play a guy who hasn't played one minute's football since Stuttgart.

O'Shea figures highly in Stan's plans. Not saying I agree with it but that's a fact.

Carsley will be added to the squad I guess. that's good.

Miller & Douglas are both capable of doing a far better job than Kilbane did in Stuttgart. Stephen Ireland is in the squad. Andy Reid hopes to make the Charlton team this weekend. McGeady is playing well.

Why do we say we have no midfield all of a sudden?

BobbySands
29/09/2006, 12:04 PM
Staunton is an eegit. He's already all but said that this campaign is going nowhere as his focus is four years down the road. For that attitude alone I think he should be sacked. Carsley is probably our top performing midfielder at the moment but Staunton prefers to pick Newcastle reserves and sixteen year old prospects who may never mature. The man is a complete fool.

Stuttgart88
29/09/2006, 12:10 PM
I hope stan isnt going to let his pride stand in the way and will call up and play carsley.
I think Stan said that as Kav would be available the experience was there. Now he's out, I think he can easily cite Carsley's experience to save face.

I'd like to see McPhail & Alan Quinn added too. Ideal opportunity to get a week with all the players even on the fringes. It'll only cost a few plane tickets and a few nights in a hotel whereas there are definite benefits.

cavan_fan
29/09/2006, 12:18 PM
Ironically since CM is our weakest position it is the one where we can probably afford injuries most.

Apart from S Reid I'd say we have 8-10 equally good/bad players for this area, namely

O'Shea
Carsley
Kilbane
Andy Reid
Miller
Douglas
McPhail
Holland (now he's back)
Finnan

plus
S Reid
Kavanagh

and maybe
Gavin Mahon
Owen Garvan when back

Forgotten anyone?

Would any one of these hugely improve our chances vs any other one.
I'd be more concerned if Dunne got injured. (By the way I saw a 2001 post on here today by someone berating Mick for picking Dunne ahead of O'Shea. How fickle we are!)

drinkfeckarse
29/09/2006, 12:29 PM
Does anyone else find it ironic that lots of people are screaming for Carsleys return yet there was hardly a positive comment when he was involved and hardly a murmur when he announced his retirement??

Don't get me wrong, Carsley can do a job on his day but he hasn't turned into Zidane overnight and I'll bet my mortgage most of those same people will be slagging him off IF he returns and has a stinker.

pineapple stu
29/09/2006, 12:34 PM
Man, it's sad that we're relying on him. He's 32 as well.
If he's good enough, he's old enough. We're not exactly in a position to turn down the chance of a central midfielder playing regular Premiership football and with Champions' League experience.

elroy
29/09/2006, 12:39 PM
It is ironic about Carsley but he is one of our best options at the moment. One note of caution though, moyes is a fine manager and obviously is getting the best out of carsley, theres no guarantee that Stan will do the same.

On Matt Holland I'm not sure he would offer anything different, he always has had the tendancy to be a passenger in midfield and doesnt impose himself enough in my opinion. His best games arguably for us were when Keane was beside him.
He does pop up with odd goal though, which is one thing lacking in our CM.

eirebhoy
29/09/2006, 12:40 PM
Does anyone else find it ironic that lots of people are screaming for Carsleys return yet there was hardly a positive comment when he was involved and hardly a murmur when he announced his retirement??

Don't get me wrong, Carsley can do a job on his day but he hasn't turned into Zidane overnight and I'll bet my mortgage most of those same people will be slagging him off IF he returns and has a stinker.
Carsley is the 1 player we need in the team which is why we're screaming for his inclusion. He's the type of player we're missing.

Stuttgart88
29/09/2006, 12:44 PM
Exactly. A holding player :) :)

pete
29/09/2006, 12:48 PM
Exactly. A holding player :) :)

Is a holding player one that keeps the ball as he cannot pass? :D

drinkfeckarse
29/09/2006, 12:49 PM
You are not answering my question, when has he turned into this sublime holding player? Nobody was clambering for his inclusion a few years ago. I know we had better options then but I doubt he has improved considerably. Decent player that he is, I really don't see him as any better than what we have and he's certainly not the "missing link".

Stuttgart88
29/09/2006, 12:54 PM
Sorry lads, was just sharing a joke with eb relating to a discussion on the "Giles' Resignation...." thread.

Of the options available to us I maintain that I'd be happy with any 2 of Carsley, Miller & Douglas.

Is Carsley the be-all and end-all? Of course not. Is he a better player than O'Shea? Yes.

If Staunton even hides behind the excuse of injuries to select the O'Shea / Kilbane pairing again he can just **** off outta here. I doubt he will pick them both again though.

youngirish
29/09/2006, 1:07 PM
Sorry lads, was just sharing a joke with eb relating to a discussion on the "Giles' Resignation...." thread.

Of the options available to us I maintain that I'd be happy with any 2 of Carsley, Miller & Douglas.

Is Carsley the be-all and end-all? Of course not. Is he a better player than O'Shea? Yes.

If Staunton even hides behind the excuse of injuries to select the O'Shea / Kilbane pairing again he can just **** off outta here. I doubt he will pick them both again though.

At this stage I would play Carsley and Ireland to be honest. I know it would be a baptism of fire for Ireland but he has shown in the recent past that he has the talent to be brilliant on ocassions (Against Man U and Everton last season for example) and we'll need a top performance in Central Midfield to beat the Czechs. Miller and/or Douglas are in no way up to the task (of this I'm sure) so I think we need to gamble as I don't believe we've any alternatives good enough to get us the result we need.

Stuttgart88
29/09/2006, 1:07 PM
You are not answering my question, when has he turned into this sublime holding player?
That wasn't your question :)

shakermaker1982
29/09/2006, 1:13 PM
Carsley with A Reid/Douglas or Ireland would be my choice. If Kilbane or O'Shea get the nod again then we really are in deep water.

I have to admit I was never a huge fan of Carsley, but back then we had Roy Keane. Now we have O'Shea and Kilbane in contention for a CM place so all of a sudden Carsley does look like a saviour........ throw in the fact he is in form and playing well then he has to start IMO.

eirebhoy
29/09/2006, 1:19 PM
You are not answering my question, when has he turned into this sublime holding player? Nobody was clambering for his inclusion a few years ago. I know we had better options then but I doubt he has improved considerably. Decent player that he is, I really don't see him as any better than what we have and he's certainly not the "missing link".
Seriously? I think he's far better than anything we have. We're talking about a choice between O'Shea, Douglas and that's about it.

Emmet
29/09/2006, 1:21 PM
Is there a current list of Centre Midfield players who are actually fit? I don't really have too much a problem with Ireland - he can pass the ball and is not uncomfortable when he is in possession which immediately puts him ahead of most of his teammates in that position! Yes he is inexperienced but the only way to get round that is to play him. Personally I don't really care either way about Carsley - he is better than JoS but given it is highly unlikely JoS will be dropped that's largely irrelevant. As has already been pointed out Carsley isn't particularly brilliant anyway and a lot of people's opinions are perhaps based on one recent performance (Liverpool) as opposed to all the mediocrity he offered us in quite a few matches before he retired.

NeilMcD
29/09/2006, 1:35 PM
My opinions are based on the fact that when he was in the team 2 seasons ago Everton qualified for the Champions League. Last season he was missing for most of it and they struggled. This season he is back in the team and they are doing well again. Is he the sole reason for this, No, is he an important factor in this, I would answer yes.

He is not Roy Keane or Viera or Alonso but he is a lot better than Kilbane or O Shea and therefore he should start for us. He is a midfiedler, on form for a team that is going well. In that regard I think he should start for us. He is not the saviour but he is a stop game for at least 6-12 months while Joey O Brien establishes himself as a midfielder.

geysir
29/09/2006, 2:15 PM
A good notable Carsley game for Ireland doesn't exactly spring to mind.
AFAIR he is sombody who didn't fxzt things up too much as well as no harm in having that escaped convict mean character look on your side. You can expect fewer mistakes, better distribution and the odd thunderbolt from outside the box.
I noticed he could stroke a pinpointed pass > 50m at Celtic pk, so it is possible.
Still, can't quite imagine a functioning CM with him and O'Shea.

NeilMcD
29/09/2006, 2:31 PM
Who is WIR out of curiousity.

Stuttgart88
29/09/2006, 2:38 PM
A good notable Carsley game for Ireland doesn't exactly spring to mind.No but poor games from O'shea & KK do. I've no idea who WIR is either. A few lunchtime drinks up your way?

Stuttgart88
29/09/2006, 2:39 PM
WIR = What I rate?

drinkfeckarse
29/09/2006, 2:51 PM
playing regular Premiership football and with Champions' League experience.

My opinions are based on the fact that when he was in the team 2 seasons ago Everton qualified for the Champions League.

Have I missed something here? The qualified for the qualifying rounds and were subsequently humped. Hardly worth mentioning to enhance your argument. :eek:

geysir
29/09/2006, 2:53 PM
Sorry for any confusion, purely coincidental.
WIR = what I remember
(and it gets less and less with every passing day.)

I couldn't remember the correct one - AFAIR.

drinkfeckarse
29/09/2006, 2:58 PM
Seriously? I think he's far better than anything we have. We're talking about a choice between O'Shea, Douglas and that's about it.

Did you think he was far better than what we had when he was involved 2-3 years ago? As bad as O'Shea has been for us, I'd probably go with him and Ireland. He's bound to have a good game at some stage for us and the law of averages say he's overdue :) Ireland is one of the few inventive players we have.

Carsley is a decent player as I've said but I think everybody forgets that he was no world beater in his time with us. Replacing one average player with another might not necessarily solve anything that's all I'm getting at.

EDIT: Assuming Andy Reid isn't fit of course.

NeilMcD
29/09/2006, 3:03 PM
Have I missed something here? The qualified for the qualifying rounds and were subsequently humped. Hardly worth mentioning to enhance your argument. :eek:

Ok I rephrase they finished 4th with him in the team.

pineapple stu
29/09/2006, 3:06 PM
They were narrowly beaten by Villereal. Had one bad 45 minutes against Bucharest and paid.

Still, it's more than any other midfielder has done of late.

elroy
29/09/2006, 3:09 PM
Speaking of midfielders, according to sky Andy Reid is in line to play tomorrow........

geysir
29/09/2006, 3:18 PM
Sky reports "Charlton boss Iain Dowie is hoping that former Tottenham winger Andy Reid will be available for the match."

We would all share Dowie's hope. But...

geysir
29/09/2006, 3:24 PM
But DFA was Carsley playing when Everton were humped that time?
Everton are one team with Magic Lee and just bog standard without him :)

zinedineontour
29/09/2006, 3:31 PM
I think Kavanagh out for 4-6 weeks is a positive, I don't think he has anything to offer us. I've seen enough, next please.

best centre midfielder we have at our disposal.

drinkfeckarse
29/09/2006, 3:32 PM
I don't think he played in either of the games come to think of it so it makes it an even less valid point as he has NO European experiance.

Stuttgart88
29/09/2006, 3:51 PM
But he does have 207 seconds of World Cup finals' experience.

Emmet
29/09/2006, 3:52 PM
In all honesty, if Staunton is as he claims looking further ahead than 2008 he really shouldn't be considering playing older players like Carsley ahead of younger players like Ireland. But of course there is the argument that he should only be focussing on getting us through this group ... in which case I don't see why Carsley should be arbitrarily excluded from selection

John83
29/09/2006, 4:45 PM
Sorry for any confusion, purely coincidental.
WIR = what I remember
(and it gets less and less with every passing day.)

I couldn't remember the correct one - AFAIR.
You're confusing it with AFAIK (As Far As I Know). What you're looking for is IIRC (If I Recall Correctly). :p

I like the idea of setting Stephen Ireland on the Cypriots, at least if Andy Reid isn't fit. I'm not sure of who to play with him, but I'm no fan of any of the options. :(