PDA

View Full Version : Delaney must go!

Dodge
28/09/2006, 9:56 AM
Might be missed by some but surely Delaney cannot be equating Derry's achievements in eruope to Sligo having a raffle. And people want this ****ing arsehole in charge of Irish football?!?

--

The FAI and the Eircom League have both sent good luck messages to Derry City ahead of tonight's UEFA Cup first round second leg against Paris St Germain in France. The tie is delicately poised at 0-0 after the first leg at the Brandywell two weeks ago and Derry are now possibly 90 minutes away from becoming the first Irish team to reach the group stages of the UEFA Cup.

FAI Chief Executive John Delaney and Eircom League chairman Paddy McCaul have both praised Derry City for their achievements this season.

John Delaney said: "The decision to move to summer soccer was partly to ensure that our sides had a better chance in Europe and results over recent years have shown that as well as the improvement in our club co-efficient. Derry City's run is a great advertisement for the Eircom League and it would be marvellous if they could make the giant leap by qualifying for the group stages. They have done the Eircom League proud and everybody within Irish football wishes them well. Achievements like this, and the recent draw by Sligo Rovers for tickets to a first class Premiership game prove that the league here is progressing."

Paddy McCaul said: "Derry City are now five games unbeaten in European competition which is a tremendous achievement and an indication of how standards are rising within the Eircom League. Every one of the 20 other Eircom League clubs wishes Stephen Kenny and his side well in Paris tonight."

John83
28/09/2006, 10:02 AM
It's a pretty daft comment alright, and I want rid of him too, but not over something as petty as that.

Dodge
28/09/2006, 10:04 AM
Obviously not. Headline was just to get people into the thread... I posted it on the Pats board as "John Delaney is a ****ing arsehole" without the asterix obviously

Poor Student
28/09/2006, 10:04 AM
but not over something as petty as that.

If something as petty as that got rid of him then I'd take it.;)

I have nothing against the Rovers promotion, but that is just a bizarre comment by Delaney.

Dodge
28/09/2006, 10:10 AM
The promotion is a good idea but it not a sign of how far we've come. or if it is, we're ****ed...

The Stars
28/09/2006, 10:42 AM
The draw here in Sligo was a success but no need for him to be making such a fuss of it.
What he should be doing in building up Derrys game and the FAI cup matches this weekend.

NY Hoop
28/09/2006, 10:58 AM
Jeez Dodge you must really despise the man to add in your own quotes?

KOH

Risteard
28/09/2006, 11:25 AM
Is this a wind-up?
That's a real Father Ted comment if ever there was one.

harpskid
28/09/2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah, it's on the FAI Website

TonyD
28/09/2006, 12:07 PM
"John Delaney is a ****ing arsehole"

Damn right he is. An idiot of enormous proportions.

pete
28/09/2006, 12:10 PM
Delaney is some moron alright. To equate Derrys success with a free draw is not very funny.

:(

Passive
28/09/2006, 12:14 PM
Eh, this quote was made-up.

Look at the FAI website, the quote isn't in their story.

Risteard
28/09/2006, 12:22 PM
Ya, either wind-up or it's been deleted.

Macy
28/09/2006, 12:26 PM
Doesn't really matter does it. The list is so long we're in danger of diluting the arguement too much!

Soper
28/09/2006, 4:19 PM
I hate Delaney

finnpark
28/09/2006, 4:47 PM
Theres no way he said that. This must be a wind up. Not even the FAI are that thick.

pineapple stu
28/09/2006, 4:50 PM
Link. (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1163)

sligoman
28/09/2006, 8:44 PM
You can't blame the man for loving us so much:p

BohDiddley
28/09/2006, 9:04 PM
Interesting that, despite the love-in, the FAI chief still refers to the league as 'them'.
If the league is his 'them', who, for Delaney, is 'us'?

pineapple stu
28/09/2006, 9:25 PM
He refers to Derry as "them", not the league...?

CollegeTillIDie
28/09/2006, 9:31 PM
Folks

This is the man who when he was on the board of Waterford United presided over the biggest waste of money ever in the history of football on this island.
Waterford United had a share issue which raised IR£400,000 or more than €500,000.

Mike Flanagan was appointed manager during 1999. They had 33 signed professional and or semi-professional players at one point during the 1999/2000 campaign and NO RESERVE TEAM! They almost went to the wall little over a year later. And Waterford United have had to run their team on a relative shoe-string ever since.

And this is the flute who is being asked to save Irish football?
I'd like the views of Blues fans on Delaney. It could be interesting reading

A face
28/09/2006, 10:29 PM
Lads, good points but let them know in fairness.

info@fai.ie

DmanDmythDledge
28/09/2006, 10:33 PM
Lads, good points but let them know in fairness.

info@fai.ie
It's nice to see A Face's trademark post again!:D

A face
28/09/2006, 10:42 PM
It's nice to see A Face's trademark post again!:D

Am i right or am i right though ?? :p

I always say it .... its basic logic, tell them and they can act on it, dont and they are none the wiser and cant do anything about it. Its simple really.

Billy Lord
28/09/2006, 10:42 PM
It's up to the clubs to get their collective act together and force Delaney's hand. Lashing him for daft comments - which is fine as far as it goes - is pretty futile given that many clubs are run like the worst corner shop in the world.
The fans have been running Shamrock Rovers for over a year now and the prevalent, parochial, petty-minded attitude that we've experienced is quite depressing. Only a handful of clubs seem to want genuine progress and would prefer to chug along as they've always done, on a wing and a prayer.
One hack even told me about a Premier Division club director who wants to revert to a winter season to boost crowds because at that time of year 'there's nothing else to do'. That's some sales pitch for his club and EL football in general!

DmanDmythDledge
28/09/2006, 10:47 PM
Am i right or am i right though ?? :p

I always say it .... its basic logic, tell them and they can act on it, dont and they are none the wiser and cant do anything about it. Its simple really.
Ye you're right. I just mentioned it because it always find it amusing.:)

samabu92
28/09/2006, 10:58 PM
Matter of intrest, what county is JD from?

A face
28/09/2006, 11:04 PM
It's up to the clubs to get their collective act together and force Delaney's hand. Lashing him for daft comments - which is fine as far as it goes - is pretty futile given that many clubs are run like the worst corner shop in the world.

I totally agree its up to the clubs but they just aint doing it, the FAI reps get away with murder. Can you name another eL clubs FAI rep besides your own? And they should be household names.

Lashing him for comments doesn't happen enough be far, FAI official can say and are liable to say anything and get away with it.

The fans have been running Shamrock Rovers for over a year now and the prevalent, parochial, petty-minded attitude that we've experienced is quite depressing. Only a handful of clubs seem to want genuine progress and would prefer to chug along as they've always done, on a wing and a prayer.

That doesn't sound good at all. But the fans and all the other stakeholders dont lobby half as much as they should.

One hack even told me about a Premier Division club director who wants to revert to a winter season to boost crowds because at that time of year 'there's nothing else to do'. That's some sales pitch for his club and EL football in general!

We know what manager that was .... i am speechless every time i hear him say it, cringe factor is off the scale. Talk about barking up the wrong tree.

Ye you're right. I just mentioned it because it always find it amusing.:)

DmanDmythDledge, DmanDmythDledge, DmanDmythDledge .... I am ALWAYS right, thought you knew that by now !! :p

A face
28/09/2006, 11:05 PM

Wahuur-forde !!

samabu92
28/09/2006, 11:33 PM
Face,

Are you for him or against him?

ConfusedBlue
29/09/2006, 12:24 AM
Wahuur-forde !!

Typical Cork man opening his mouth before he knows the facts.

JD is in fact a native of Kerry but from what I know was raised in Tiperrary (possibly Clonmel region),his father was on the board and chairman of the Blues in the 70's and 80's,thats how he became involved in the club!!!!

Think Bob Breen (as well as Delaney) had an awful lot to do with the wastage of the revenue recieved from the share issue as well and hes now onthe UEFA Licencing board!!!!!1

Dodge
29/09/2006, 9:11 AM
People might wanna check the facts before they start e-mailing the fai to complain too...

pete
29/09/2006, 9:40 AM
This is the man who when he was on the board of Waterford United presided over the biggest waste of money ever in the history of football on this island.
Waterford United had a share issue which raised IR£400,000 or more than €500,000.

I seem to remember Waterford losing a 800k share issue in 18 months. No idea what they spent it on though.

Jerry The Saint
29/09/2006, 9:43 AM
JD is in fact a native of Kerry but from what I know was raised in Tiperrary (possibly Clonmel region),his father was on the board and chairman of the Blues in the 70's and 80's,thats how he became involved in the club!!!!

Definitely has his roots in Tipp South, used to be a lot of support for W'ford in that area during their glory days (hmmm, which would seem to be the time just before Delaney Sr. took over...)

A face
29/09/2006, 9:54 AM
Face, Are you for him or against him?

Sitting on the fence for the time being, thing is .... no one know what is happening, we are completely in the dark. If fans were a bit more organised, they'd be involved in the merger to a certain degree.

Typical Cork man opening his mouth before he knows the facts.

So you're saying i was close enough yeah !?! :p

Think Bob Breen (as well as Delaney) had an awful lot to do with the wastage of the revenue recieved from the share issue as well and hes now onthe UEFA Licencing board!!!!!1

Bob Breen .... thats a name i haven't heard in a while.

ConfusedBlue
29/09/2006, 11:05 AM
I seem to remember Waterford losing a 800k share issue in 18 months. No idea what they spent it on though.

Bob Breen was Commercial Manager at the time of the share issue.Money was supposed to help develop the club in the future instead most of it was squandered on bringing in Mike Flanagan and his band of Crosschannel journeymen .ie.Dominic Iorfa,Jered Stirling,Christian Hyslop,think he even had a brother-in-law with us.Can't remember the name but I think it was Sean Browne!!!In some cases these players were being flown in from England each week.

I may be wrong but I'm almost certain Michael Finnegan was actually Chairman at that time and JD had actually left the clubs board by that stage!?!
Bluemovie may be able to confirm a few of the facts on the subject!!!!

pineapple stu
29/09/2006, 12:49 PM
Wahuur-forde !!

I am ALWAYS right, thought you knew that by now !! :p

:D

Hung, drawn and quartered face!!

As pointed out, Delaney has his roots in Tipp. Tipp Town to be exact, God help us (same as my family). He played for St Michael's for a while. He moved around a bit though. Probably got hounded out of places.

noby
29/09/2006, 12:56 PM
JD had actually left the clubs board by that stage!?!

It was certainley around that time. He got the FAI gig and had to give up his Blues role. A case of their loss was our gain.
That whole Bob/Sheephead era wasn't exactly the best in the club's history.