PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Traynor Needs a Facelift

papa-j
27/09/2006, 4:53 PM
From reading the various threads on the Oscar Traynor teams in the different leagues its my opinion that its in need of a facelift or some sort of revamp, as a lot of clubs and players see it as an unwanted distraction.
It also seems that the Irish Junior team should now be called the Irish Intermediate team with only 5 junior players in the recent squad.

What do people think about this? Could the system be improved? Should the FAI look at how the top Junior players are rewarded with International recognition? Is there a case for the winning Oscar Traynor team going on and representing their country somehow as a reward?

hooperlooper
27/09/2006, 5:30 PM
the honour and distinction has gone,i played with the cork aul team for a few years and it is one of the hightlights of my junior football playing days ,there were handshakes and pats on the backs all round when i was picked and i felt as proud as punch,there was a time clubs would do anything to get a player on the panel but not any more,the junior international team should be picked from players playing in the oscar traynor and that way at least it might drum up a little interest,also the games should be held at a time that suits the teams supplying the players and not the leagues,a week in december ,a week in january,a week in febuary and the final in april or may,that will allow teams to compete in there individual leagues and cups without having a back log of fixtures because they have players on the oscar traynor teams in sep,oct,nov and dec .the vast majority of intermediate teams in the country are able to supplement there players expenses in other ways,if i said givin them a few bob they would all deny it but it goes on we all know it so why should they have the majority of the players on the junior internationl squad,junior is what it is junior,intermediate is basically semi pro without the offical name:ball:

smellyfeet
27/09/2006, 5:50 PM
There is a junior International team for Junior players only.
There is an amatuer International team which is open to Both Junior and Intermediate players.
The current Squad is The amatuer squad so is open the both sets of players.

soccerc
27/09/2006, 6:25 PM
the honour and distinction has gone,i played with the cork aul team for a few years and it is one of the hightlights of my junior football playing days :ball:

The old Tayto Cup between AUL Dublin and AUL Cork was bigger than the Oscar Traynor in the 80's