PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Angle signs for TNA

jebus
26/09/2006, 4:25 PM
Surely I can't be the only wrestling fan here :) and if not then surely I can't be the only one shocked at this devolpment. For the non-wrestling fans Kurt Angle won Olypmic Gold with the US back at '96 Olympics and surprised everyone by signing for the WWE(WWF) back in 1999. Since then he has been one of the companies stars, holding all major titles on numerous occasions.

Recently he was released from his contract due to personal reasons (messy divorce/reconciliation, addiction to pain killers) and many assumed he would rest up and sign back for the WWE in time for next year's WrestleMania. However over the weekend signed for rival promotion NWA-TNA and is seen as the headline star that will push TNA even further up the ratings as it looks to gain ground on the WWE.

Personally I think its a good move by Angle. TNA seems to emphasise wrestling as a sport rather than a sports entertainment, and thats what Angle is, a legitimate sports star. Plus it will probably be the challenge Angle needs, he can make TNA viable wrestling alternative to the WWE, and increase he's star potential as well, although considering he's viewed by many as the greatest wrestler ever that might be hard (I put him in second place behind Bret Hart). Should be interesting though

DmanDmythDledge
26/09/2006, 4:27 PM
Have to say I'm surprised. Didn't think Angle would be one to stoop low enough to get out of his contract with the WWE. Good coup for TNA though.

Dodge
26/09/2006, 5:04 PM
Moving this fropm Other sports into Off topic. Sports aren't scripted.

osarusan
26/09/2006, 5:53 PM
Moving this fropm Other sports into Off topic. Sports aren't scripted.

Dodge, I applaud you. There should be a "Fake sports/moneymaking racket" forum.

Poor Student
26/09/2006, 5:57 PM
Dodge, I applaud you. There should be a "Fake sports/moneymaking racket" forum.

You'd think you of all people living in Japan might be aware of some of the shoot fights that happen in top Japanese federations.

osarusan
26/09/2006, 5:59 PM
You'd think you of all people living in Japan might be aware of some of the shoot fights that happen in top Japanese federations.

I am aware. Dont like those either.

Strabane_Harp
26/09/2006, 7:08 PM
Hardly surprising after Vince moved him into ECW. For a guy with a history of neck and back injuries , performing in ECW would have been potentially very dangerous.

Plus TNA is quite good, i watch it more than WWE these days.

AJ Styles is gonna be a massive star

Dodge
26/09/2006, 9:19 PM
Viking, no need for that.

max power
27/09/2006, 10:24 AM
one gig a week in the same place and good money.....less travel , less work and not having to deal with the mcmahons, seems like good business to me, lesner will be next.

Strabane_Harp
27/09/2006, 10:41 AM
Christ but i hate Lesner :mad:

they would need a hell of a different character for him. McMahon had him as just a muscled idiot thug with Heyman as his voice, as as talented an amateur Wrestler Lesnar is, he cant deal with the other parts of the job.

Kurt however can entertain the crowds brilliantly.

Kurt Angle v AJ Styles, that will be some match up

Lionel Ritchie
27/09/2006, 2:46 PM
I was going to ask a question about the attraction of watching oiled up muscley men grabbing at each other and pinning each other in compromising positions in an orchestrated panto -but I realised that might be construed as trolling, wumming or both.

So I ask, in all (okay -a high degree of) seriousness ...what's the deal lads?

What are the elements that go to making a thrilling, nay entertaining, nay watchable, nay tolerable wrestling "match".

osarusan
27/09/2006, 3:14 PM
Viking, no need for that.

What did he say, I want to know!!

Dodge
27/09/2006, 3:29 PM
What you said, only stoopider

Strabane_Harp
27/09/2006, 3:29 PM
I was going to ask a question about the attraction of watching oiled up muscley men grabbing at each other and pinning each other in compromising positions in an orchestrated panto -but I realised that might be construed as trolling, wumming or both.

So I ask, in all (okay -a high degree of) seriousness ...what's the deal lads?

What are the elements that go to making a thrilling, nay entertaining, nay watchable, nay tolerable wrestling "match".

suppose its something you need to get into as a kid. Its entertaining and we dont actually believe its real. Its like watching Theatre, only without the singing ;)

max power
27/09/2006, 3:39 PM
why watch soaps ???? its least the females are half naked in wrestling ;)

osarusan
27/09/2006, 3:49 PM
suppose Its entertaining and we dont actually believe its real.

Looking at some of the other posts, I wouldnt be so sure about that.

Dodge
28/09/2006, 8:42 AM
all i said was " grow up ". so dodge took offence and removed my post. i like the wrestling at times, ( used to watch nwa - wcw many years ago) . but i think its a childish thread. its my opinion. i see a ban coming on from dodge the communist who restricts free speech ie: only leaves in what he likes. fav wrestlers: mick foley, the bushwackers, steve austin, the bezerker,

*sigh* If I only left in what I liked, I'd have delted the whole thread. I despise wrestling BUT each to their own. If you're into it, post about it, if you're not, don't or at the very least post about it like osarun has. Posting "grow up" is not acceptable. If you have a problem with me, take it up with admin...

Oh and use capitals and punctuation properly...

jebus
28/09/2006, 11:26 AM
To answer very quickly whats the attraction of watching a scripted sport (and it is a sport, boxing these days is just the one step up from pro-wrestling in my opinion), well the storylines can be very entertaining, the gags can be spot on at times, but mainly its because of wrestlers like Kurt Angle, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Mr.Perfect, Chris Jericho, AJ Styles, Samoe Joe and many more that put on an entertaining, techinally sound show that tells a story in the ring. It does what it says on the tin, if Kurt Angle is facing off against Shawn Michaels you know you are going to be entertained, and that can't be said for a lot of 'legitimate' sports out there.

On the TNA note though I think Brock Lesner still can't compete in another American pro-wrestling company for another year due to his amended contact release agreement with Vince McMahon. Originally when the WWE left Lesner go to play with the Minnesota Vikings he signed an agreement that he wouldn't wrestle with any fighting organisation (be it UFC, Pride, TNA, or All Japan until 2010. Lesner eventually filed a lawsuit against the WWE, after his pro football career didn't take off) saying that that was in breach of his worker's rights as an American citizen, but before it actually reached the courts Lesner and the WWE came to an agreement that would keep him out of TNA only until 2007 (or at least thats whats rumoured)

Dodge
28/09/2006, 12:03 PM
I can spell fine. I just can't type.

Aberdonian Stu
28/09/2006, 12:11 PM
Apparently Royce Gracie, who dominated UFC in its early days, is training Lesnar to become a Mixed Martial Artist.

Rory H
28/09/2006, 1:51 PM
using him in that crappy ecw show its no wonder he went to tna

Strabane_Harp
28/09/2006, 2:01 PM
its more like Vince forcing him out

Putting a guy with a history of neck problems (won the Olympic Gold medal with a broken neck) in Extreme rule matches??

with NWA-TNA at least Kurt can have a normal family life, now that he and his wife are sorting there problems. with WWE he would be on road 200 days a year minimum.

tetsujin1979
28/09/2006, 2:49 PM
Apparently Royce Gracie, who dominated UFC in its early days, is training Lesnar to become a Mixed Martial Artist.

Wasn't gracie beaten for the first team ever recently? Or at least made to tap out for the first time ever.
Hadn't heard about him training Lesnar, but it's a bit odd. Gracie and his brothers were all about speed and takedowns, Lesnar is power, plain and simple.

jebus
03/10/2006, 2:38 PM
I don't know, obviously Lesner's main attribute is his strength, but the guy is pretty quick for such a big man. As long as Lesner isn't rushed into fighting more experienced MMA fighters he'll do well there I think, if they do pull the trigger too quickly and put him up against the top guys he'll get slaughtered and would find it hard to regain his creditability

Strabane_Harp
03/10/2006, 6:50 PM
Brock Lesnar comes from a successful amateur wrestling backround so i wouldnt be so sure