PDA

View Full Version : A B international!!

pineapple stu
26/09/2006, 12:27 PM
A day later than I was told it was going to be announced, but that's Merrion Square for you!

'Tis against Scotland (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1157) in Dalyer on 14 November. The day before the San Marino game in Lansdowne, so seems fair to assume that no-one involved in the senior squad will be considered, even though it'll probably be a harder game than the San Marino one.

Speculate away as to who's likely to be included! But with the last day of the eL season just four days after, I can't see too many eL clubs being overly willing to let players out for this one. Not sure how many English clubs would be keen on releasing first-team players for a B game either.

Dodge
26/09/2006, 12:48 PM
As its an official international the clubs are obliged to release players. Nice in theory anyway. Is the an u21 game that week? If not I'd guess it'd be them wholesale

eirebhoy
26/09/2006, 1:00 PM
As its an official international the clubs are obliged to release players.
Are you sure? I'm going solely on my Football Manager 2006 experience but in that you don't have to release players for friendly international. :) The amount of pull outs for the Holland match was unreal and I'd say most of them would have played if it was a competitive.

Shelsman
26/09/2006, 1:01 PM
Stan has said ( in The Sun ) that he will be picking the squad and Devo will pick the team. He also said he wants to look at Kevin Deery and Stephen Ward -but that sounds like the limit to the eL players he will pick ( perhaps one or two more ).

pineapple stu
26/09/2006, 1:05 PM
UCD will have a two week break at that stage, and I'm sure some of our top players wouldn't mind a game to prepare for the Cup Final. :)

livehead1
26/09/2006, 1:51 PM
Stan has said ( in The Sun ) that he will be picking the squad and Devo will pick the team. He also said he wants to look at Kevin Deery and Stephen Ward -but that sounds like the limit to the eL players he will pick ( perhaps one or two more ).

probably the only two he has heard of :D

BrayUnknowns
26/09/2006, 2:22 PM
probably the only two he has heard of :D

"However, the timing of the fixture, which will take place during the final week of the eircom League season, could leave it difficult for some or all of the home-based players to honour a call-up, with Shelbourne and Derry expected to fight out the end of the Premier Division season in November"

From eleven-a-side.

lofty9
26/09/2006, 2:24 PM
UCD will have a two week break at that stage, and I'm sure some of our top players wouldn't mind a game to prepare for the Cup Final. :)

we'll see about that ;)

NeilMcD
26/09/2006, 2:38 PM
My house is going to be mental with tonnes of Tartan Army over

Stuttgart88
26/09/2006, 2:55 PM
Acc to The Indo:

Staunton: "We've had a good look at Deery, he's certainly one we would be monitoring. And Ward has done well at Bohs, there's maybe one or two others."

Staunton has indicated that while he will select an 18-man squad for the Scotland game, with 'B' manager Pat Devlin providing input on domestic selections, there is also a chance senior players not involved against San Marino on November 15 will figure.

pete
26/09/2006, 3:00 PM
Staunton: "We've had a good look at Deery, he's certainly one we would be monitoring. And Ward has done well at Bohs, there's maybe one or two others."

What he means is he hasn't spoken to Don Givens yet to see who else he is advising.

Shelsman
26/09/2006, 4:45 PM
I'd like to see Jason Byrne get 90 mins or as close to that as possible so he has a fair chance to show what he can really do.

BobbySands
26/09/2006, 9:33 PM
It's a bit rich us fielding a B team when we have trouble getting an A team together. If only Mr. T had an Irish granny.

DeNiro
27/09/2006, 8:39 AM
Surely we'll see Paddy McCarthy get his chance in this game. We are getting a little light for players at 'B' level seeing as many of the younger ones are in the senior squad, e.g. McShane. Unless he plays Barrett, Goodwin and all that, but that seems like a step back. Anyone suggest a possible B squad?

Stuttgart88
27/09/2006, 9:08 AM
Squad suggestion. A bit top-heavy, could do with a bit of a cull:

Any two of Supple / Henderson / Doyle / Quigley / Logan / Randolph as keepers

Kevin Foley
Paddy McCarthy
Paul McShane
Marcos Painter
Sean St. Ledger
Damien Delaney (if fit again)
Derek Geary

Glenn Whelan
Michael Doyle
Jay Tabb
Kevin Deery
Alan Quinn
Stephen Hunt
Owen Garvan (in theory)
Darron Gibson
Alan O'Brien
Chris McCann
Liam Lawrence
John-Paul Kelly maybe?

Stephen Ward
Daryl Murphy
Terry Dixon
Billy Clarke
Shane Long
Andy Keogh
Anthony Stokes

Trundle, Jason Byrne omitted as they're not likely to break through to senior team in near future & aren't long-term candidates

DeNiro
27/09/2006, 11:42 AM
That's a decent squad Stuttgart88, i was thinking of St Ledger as well. I reckon he should be in it but with the Faroes game the following night it would seem unlikely IMO!

John83
27/09/2006, 1:02 PM
...Terry Dixon...
He's just had a knee operation. I doubt he'll be fit after that in under two months.

pete
27/09/2006, 1:30 PM
Wouldn't Terry Dixon be better proving himself at reserve or U21 level first?

DmanDmythDledge
27/09/2006, 2:41 PM
Squad suggestion. A bit top-heavy, could do with a bit of a cull:

Any two of Supple / Henderson / Doyle / Quigley / Logan / Randolph as keepers

Kevin Foley
Paddy McCarthy
Paul McShane
Marcos Painter
Sean St. Ledger
Damien Delaney (if fit again)
Derek Geary

Glenn Whelan
Michael Doyle
Jay Tabb
Kevin Deery
Alan Quinn
Stephen Hunt
Owen Garvan (in theory)
Darron Gibson
Alan O'Brien
Chris McCann
Liam Lawrence
John-Paul Kelly maybe?

Stephen Ward
Daryl Murphy
Terry Dixon
Billy Clarke
Shane Long
Andy Keogh
Anthony Stokes

Trundle, Jason Byrne omitted as they're not likely to break through to senior team in near future & aren't long-term candidates
I doubt Randolph would be considered as he isn't in the U-21 squad at the moment.

Jason Gavin and Owen Heary should be considered for CBs.

I'd include Ciaran Martyn in midfield, and get Alan O'Brien the fĂșck away from any squad until he does something(does he even impress at reserve level?).

Adam Rooney up front.

Stuttgart88
27/09/2006, 3:08 PM
I only included Dixon (and Garvan who's ill) as an example of the type of player we should be looking at.

Had forgotten about Gavin. Heary I left out as I thought he's late 20s but apologies if I'm wrong.

Adam Rooney is worth a look but he's got plenty of time to prove himself yet. So, yes, on that basis Dixon's inclusion isn't important but I'm keen on seeing if all the Dixon hype is justified so that's another reason I named him! Staunton clearly rates him (or at least wants to pick him).