PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGhee linked with Bohs job

CharlesThompson
26/09/2006, 8:03 AM
Mark McGhee is quoted in an article in the Sun today saying that he's interested in the Bohs job. According to the article he's had a 'prelimanery discussion' with the board although he says he hasn't spoken to anyone.

He's managed Wolves, Leicester, Millwall, Reading and Brighton over 15 years in management.

I think it could be a good appointment. He's managed in the Premiership but was it with Leicester or Wolves?

BohsPartisan
26/09/2006, 8:08 AM
Sorry no Ghee's please.

seand
26/09/2006, 8:26 AM
Jumped ship when he was with Reading and they were on the brink of promotion in 94-5... left them for a 'bigger' job with Leicester. Not popular in Reading. Jumped ship when at Leicester as they were releagated from the Premiership... left them for a 'bigger' job with Wolves, who he managed to 20th place in 95-6 as Leicester were promoted. Not popular in Leicester. Not popular in Wolverhampton. Not popular. I was at Reading v Leicester in 95-6, with both sets of fans joining together for a rousing chorus of '**** of Mark McGhee'

superfrank
26/09/2006, 7:57 PM
What has this man achieved in football??

I think the most he ever did was get Brighton promoted a few times and he might've kept them up one year. Is that the kinda manager Bohs want??

aido1895
26/09/2006, 8:09 PM
Good appointment for bohs if theyre looking for somebody who doubtlessly knows f' all about the league

tonydaly
27/09/2006, 8:09 AM
It's amazing the names that crop up when you mention money. Mc Ghee would make short work of the €45 million.

BohDiddley
27/09/2006, 9:13 AM
Good appointment for bohs if theyre looking for somebody who doubtlessly knows f' all about the league
I'm always intrigued by this argument. What is there to know about the league, in broad headings? You can leave out details, such as Alan Reynolds.

BohsPartisan
27/09/2006, 9:17 AM

Its just rubbish rag talk.

sonofstan
27/09/2006, 9:56 AM
I'm always intrigued by this argument. What is there to know about the league, in broad headings? You can leave out details, such as Alan Reynolds.

Same here; I mean, the game we play is quite like football ...

pete
27/09/2006, 9:57 AM
Same here; I mean, the game we play is quite like football ...

Some teams and some weeks only. :D

Its crazy to suggest only someone who knows the eL can be appointed.

bigmac
27/09/2006, 10:08 AM
You can leave out details, such as Alan Reynolds.

How could you leave out Alan Reynolds!

TonyD
27/09/2006, 12:27 PM
Its crazy to suggest only someone who knows the eL can be appointed.

Maybe, but the history of appointing managers (mainly from England) who have no prior experience of the league isn't exactly littered with outstanding success. Rob Hindmarch, Mike Flanagan, Colin Murphy, Jimmy Mullen and Lawrie Sanchez are just a few examples which spring to mind. Gareth Farrelly wasn't exactly a roaring success either.

pete
27/09/2006, 12:29 PM
Maybe, but the history of appointing managers (mainly from England) who have no prior experience of the league isn't exactly littered with outstanding success. Rob Hindmarch, Mike Flanagan, Colin Murphy, Jimmy Mullen and Lawrie Sanchez are just a few examples which spring to mind. Gareth Farrelly wasn't exactly a roaring success either.

You could say the same about appointing inexperienced managers with eL experience.

Sanchez did ok i think? For most of the others it was their first managers job. Murphy left before a competitive game.

LukeO
27/09/2006, 12:55 PM
history would dictate so.

the man put the story in the press himself. enough said.

ehhhh.... No he didn't. He was linked with the job on Monday in the Sun. It was only yesterday that he was quoted on it.

Soper
27/09/2006, 1:19 PM
Sanchez did well.I don't think he would have been offered a better paying job back in England if hadn't done well in Sligo!

NY Hoop
27/09/2006, 1:21 PM
You could say the same about appointing inexperienced managers with eL experience.

Sanchez did ok i think? For most of the others it was their first managers job. Murphy left before a competitive game.

Murphy was in charge of shels in 1995.

KOH

joeSoap
27/09/2006, 1:28 PM
Maybe, but the history of appointing managers (mainly from England) who have no prior experience of the league isn't exactly littered with outstanding success.What about super Sam Allardyce??

Soper
27/09/2006, 1:37 PM
And Cotteril

LukeO
27/09/2006, 1:59 PM
well that wasnt what the OP said at all was it?

OP? Original Post? :confused:

aido1895
27/09/2006, 2:48 PM

Well going on the past history of managers being brought in from the UK they havent exactly been a success in the league. When was the last time a manager without a good knowledge of the league ever actually won a trophy over here ?

LukeO
27/09/2006, 3:10 PM
In fairness, when was the last time someone without a good knowledge of the league has been given one of the big jobs? The only one I can think of is Mountfield and that must be 5 years ago at this stage.

aido1895
27/09/2006, 3:15 PM
^ When was Senor Farrelly appointed ?!

LukeO
27/09/2006, 3:43 PM
Sorry, I try to erase the two years of Farrelly out of mind...

Farrelly is a totally different case. He failed because he was a lazy, failed 28-year-old footballer who should never have been given a managerial job (anywhere) in the first place and was only given the job because the Bohs president at the time, Felim O'Reilly, was a family friend of the Farrellys.

He was portrayed as an enthusiastic young manager when appointed but in reality he was far from it. If Bohs bothered to do any backround checks before appointing him, they would've realised that Farrelly had (and still has) a serious attitude problem and even if they talked to any of his previous managers they would have realised that he has a serious lack of work ethic and dedication.

McGhee is totally different. He's a proven, experienced manager with a good reputation. He's somebody who has managed in the Premiership, won promotions and got a club to the FA Cup semis.

BohsPartisan
27/09/2006, 3:59 PM
How long was Derek Mountfield with Cork for and has he managed since?

Anto McC
27/09/2006, 6:11 PM
It's not essential that Bohs new manager has EL experience but it definetly helps.

I hope McGhee gets it,it a disaster waiting to happen,Farrelly all over again and as soon as he gets a job offer in England,he'll be gone like a rat from a sinking ship!

BohsFans
27/09/2006, 6:20 PM
It's not essential that Bohs new manager has EL experience but it definetly helps.

I hope McGhee gets it,it a disaster waiting to happen,Farrelly all over again and as soon as he gets a job offer in England,he'll be gone like a rat from a sinking ship!

Apart from having no el experience, how exactly would he be a "disaster waiting to happen"?

LukeO
27/09/2006, 6:34 PM
Apart from having no el experience, how exactly would he be a "disaster waiting to happen"?

Its not. He's just a deluded Shels fan.

LeixlipRed
27/09/2006, 7:22 PM
I love seeing the Bohs fans trying to show that McGhee is a decent manager by stating that he's managed in every league. So has Dave Bassett. He's also relegated more sides than any other manager in modern times. McGhee is rubbish. And you know it. There are plenty of coaches in England who have never managed iat all levels in England and who actually have talent. Alex Ferguson is one ;)

hoopy
27/09/2006, 7:24 PM
I thought Bohs put out a statement saying that the new man must have EL experience?

CharlesThompson
27/09/2006, 7:43 PM
Yeah and then Pat Fenlon stayed at Shelbourne.

Anto McC
27/09/2006, 9:02 PM
Will McGhee move to Dublin,should he get the Bohs job?

The point Leixlip Red made about Dave Bassett is a good one and one i was also going to make just not using Dave Bassett. Having plenty of experience means f*ck all if you are a **** manager. McGhee's record speaks for itself and proves he is not a good manager. I mean,Roddy has plenty of managerial experience,in both Ireland and England and yet i certainly wouldn't consider him a good manager!

Red4Eva
27/09/2006, 9:04 PM
i'd give the bohs job to mcghee b4 i'd ever give it to any current eL manager apart from stephen kenny. bohs should be aiming for some1 like martin allen

drinkfeckarse
28/09/2006, 8:34 AM
Personally I think the style of Dave Bassett et all died years ago. For me any potential new manager must first of all be a good hands on coach. You can't just bark at players anymore, there has to be a technical insight.

I'd be inclined to think that a knowledge of the League be favourable but not the top criteria, after all you can always make your number two someone with that knowledge. I think the best thing the Bohs board can do is do extensive background checks on any candidate. There's going to be a lot of money involved here and the appointment needs to be right.

If I was involved in the search, I'd be speaking with ex-players and staff of the candidate to see how good his coaching techniques and ideas were and how well he treated everyone else. You don't want some dinosaur who lets the rest of the coaches train and give the players ideas while he sits in the background doing very little for his wage.