PDA

View Full Version : Galway -v- Rovers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gufct
25/09/2006, 10:34 AM
Rovers allocation of 400 despatched by post this morning.Terryland can only hold 3,000 with the far side closed down so people wou;d want to purchase their Tickets early as a bumper crowd is expected. Outlets will be announced after Friday nights game is over as we want to concentrate on each game as they come.

Conor H
25/09/2006, 10:47 AM
GUFCT if we surpassed the ticket allocation would the club not make allowances?Surely we could fit 3500-4000 in there?

gufct
25/09/2006, 10:51 AM
no conor its the safety of fans that comes first and anymore than 3,500 at the moment would be dangerous.At the moment there are about 800 season ticket holders plus kids go free so there is no way there will be anymore tickets on sale.

geezer
25/09/2006, 11:46 AM
conor its the ideal time now to impress the rest of galway, make it a big occasion encourage everyone to bring a flag, maybe we could have a theme night promoting football and the diverse cultures now living in Galway ( Brazil theme night and invite up the brazilians in gort ) for a spectacle that will bring the people back.

gufct
25/09/2006, 11:53 AM
i think another jersey night it worked the last time.Its not the night for handing out free tickets as this game will sellout no problem.

GUISAUltra
25/09/2006, 12:39 PM
i think the jersey night is a great idea. it'd be brilliant to do it again. the last time was a good success and it'd be good to see the stand awash with maroon because ya know the rovers fans will be wearing their colours

Patrick Dunne
25/09/2006, 12:44 PM
Ticket information now available at www.galwayunitedfc.ie.

GalwayFrancis
25/09/2006, 2:28 PM
i think another jersey night it worked the last time.Its not the night for handing out free tickets as this game will sellout no problem.

alrite, lets have Jersey Day 2006 part 2 - ill start emailing the press like before, lets make this massive!

Conor H
25/09/2006, 3:57 PM
It will be abit different though.It's October-people will have jackets and hats-not jersey's.But good idea and lets run with it.
As for the TIFO flags they'll be there for the Rovers game but no poles im afraid.We will (hopefully) have a new bunch of flags and poles for other games this season.
However Terryland will be colourful Friday week.;)

Terry
26/09/2006, 12:22 PM
I have been talking to a mate in zhivagos and he says that the tickets sales are going well and if the trend continues it should be a sell out, so make sure everybody here that isnt a season ticket holder gets their tickets good and early.

COMON UNITED

Patrick Dunne
26/09/2006, 12:37 PM
It is the best interest of GUFC that as many tickets as possible are sold this
week, so get down there and buy them before Friday.

geezer
26/09/2006, 12:57 PM
to sell, it will still take a bit of promotion to sell it out, the last thing we want is empty seats. even still i can picture galwegians leaving it till the last minute. Tell everyone at your club,work,college about it and make sure it sells out. there is a rugby match the same night

Patrick Dunne
26/09/2006, 1:01 PM
The tables are turned on Connacht "rogby" now. Their attempt to muscle in
on our Friday night slot has failed, will fail, and will start to affect their attendances.

geezer
26/09/2006, 1:06 PM
i will never go up to the sportsground again. the rode roughshod over utd despite the fact that utd have spent 4 years marketing friday night footie.

i remember our former manager walking in dublin to save connacht rugby and they conveniently try and muscle utd away from fridays

not sporting at all imo

Patrick Dunne
26/09/2006, 1:15 PM
GUFC is a community based club, Connacht rugby is an artifical entity
propped up by E40,000 per week funding from the IRFU.

They had the cheek to ask a member of our marketing group if our volunteer poster team would put up their posters instead of the promotions agency which normally is paid to put them up.

Computer says no, Tim nice but dim :D

corbyeire
26/09/2006, 1:19 PM
GUFC is a community based club, Connacht rugby is an artifical entity
propped up by E40,000 per week funding from the IRFU.

They had the cheek to ask a member of our marketing group if our volunteer poster team would put up their posters instead of the promotions agency which normally is paid to put them up.

Computer says no, Tim nice but dim :D

that is unbelieveable :eek:

GUISAUltra
26/09/2006, 3:23 PM
yeah hopefully its a sell out. cant wait for it now. wonder will there be many rovers fans coming down before the game like the last time for a few beers. it was good craic outside foxs in galway with close to 60-70 fans out singing

GUISAUltra
26/09/2006, 4:53 PM
Have You Seen Galway United,
Have You Seen Them In Maroooon,
Have You Seen Galway United,
They're The Greatest Team I Know,
We Have Played Up In Sligo,
We Have Played In Dublin Too,
But The Greatest Day In History,
Was 1991, 91, 91, 91, 91, 91

GalwayFrancis
26/09/2006, 10:42 PM
should we organize a kick about between the two sets of fans before the big game?

Conor H
26/09/2006, 10:44 PM
We had one last time down in fox's.Residents in the Southern were most definitely entertained.A repeat of the same would be brillaint!Some crack down there last time!:)

mypost
27/09/2006, 1:41 AM
remember 1991

Remember 1985 :)

GUISAUltra
27/09/2006, 10:08 AM
yeah we should be striving to ge more games like these for the club and promotion is the only way to do it. imagine how much easier it'd be to convince people to come down the dyke road if we were playing cork or derry instead of kilkenny or monaghan.

GUISAUltra
27/09/2006, 12:19 PM
yeah looking forward to it already myself now as well

GalwayFrancis
27/09/2006, 4:01 PM
ive emailed the majority of related media about the Jersey Day Part II. Hopefully the crowd will be nice and colourful!

GUISAUltra
27/09/2006, 4:06 PM
nice one hopefully we'll have a sea of maroon come friday week. well maybe not a sea but a couple of waves would be good

Terry
28/09/2006, 7:33 AM
Lets keep this on topic. Any issues unresloved with the post gone in the bin, ye can PM each other.

gufct
28/09/2006, 8:19 AM
Thanks for Binning my post Terry.That was actually the club official line on friday week. There are 2 new ticket outlets for the Rovers Game O'Briens Hardware, Loughrea and The Square Inn Athenry.

There are only 2,500 Tickets on sale to the Galway Public and 400 for Rovers as with season tickets and Kids go free amounting to over 700 the ground will be streched to its limits so anyone wanting to be sure of getting to this game should purchase their tickets early.

Car Parking spaces cannot be guarenteed after 7pm and no one will be allowed down the carpark road without a ticket.Bags will be searched for Alcohol, Flares,smoke bombs etc. so get up there as early as possible and wear your colours with pride.

Terry
28/09/2006, 8:35 AM
the post IMO had nothing to do with next week. You were talking about what happened at the last meeting of the 2 teams. Everybody knows (including the Rovers fans) what extra security is needed.

Paddyfield
29/09/2006, 5:08 PM
Remember 1985 :)

Indeed. My 2nd ever "away" game in. It was in Dalymount. Small attendance (of about 7,000) for a Cup Final. Larkin scored for Rovers and United qualified for Europe for the first time because Rovers also won the League.

Crap game!

Terry
29/09/2006, 9:04 PM
Somethin tells me there will be a few tickets bought tomorrow now :D

GUISAUltra
30/09/2006, 2:41 PM
After a brilliant result and performace last night, i think there is gonna be a hell of a lot more tickets sold in the upcoming week. everyone i was talking to after last nights game in town was saying they are definitely going to the rovers game.

LETS MAKE IT A SELL-OUT BOYS

thescoringgoals
30/09/2006, 10:36 PM
im not sure i can remember looking forward as much to a league game in this division as this friday.a couple of questions.
1:will it sell out??(theres a conn vrs ulster game on that eve too).
2:what will the starting 11 be??(its barry and philip that are the only 2 missing,yes???)
rvs were jammy tonight vrs athlone,also i assume they will get fined etc for numerous pitch invasions by their fans and throwing flares onto the pitch tonight.
FAO GUFCT:as flares are banned i assume ye will be frisking the shams fans on way in.also is toilet roll,ticket tape allowed,will be thrown as players come onto the pitch.

Paddyfield
01/10/2006, 8:24 AM
Terryland's capacity has been reduced to around 3,500 so the game will be a guaranteed sell out. Over a decade ago, GUFC often hosted crowds of this amount but sometimes it would be more. Twice, there were 7,000 in the ground (first game under lights V Cork City and a Cup game against St Pat's).

This capacity will increase to 5,000 when the new stand is completed. I suppose we are looking at April 2047 :rolleyes:

There will be people who won't get their tickets on time so make sure you get yours. Connacht Rugby's attendance will also be hit as they are playing on Friday night too.

Roll out the Rovers.

Terry
01/10/2006, 8:29 AM
yep, tickets are flying out the doors and will surely be well on the way of being sold out fairly soon. Bought 10 tickets myself (not charity wise) yesterday for friends and family that dont usually go to terryland. The hype is huge, and it feels great to have match days like this returning again.

Conor H
01/10/2006, 9:10 AM
Well toilet roll better be allowed!We have to be allowed have something!:D

Conor H
01/10/2006, 9:14 AM
Was out last night and met Dave Goldbey!
He's actually completely spot on!Said that although he'll be leaving soon Cousins is a brillaint manager and the spirit in UTD is surel amongst the lads!

Everyone who i've spoken too is going to Terryland Friday-We've always said when UTD are doing well we can get some of the biggest crowds in the country....Friday will be no exception!

Terry
01/10/2006, 9:19 AM
1. I wouldnt worry about the rugby, they will worry about our match

2. the same team that started against limerick except for the return of Wes.

obviously they will be fined and will probably be the same for us, but, if we get a result and set one hell of an atmosphere the return from the gates for the rest of the season would easily cover fines for all the remaining matches combined. The club should see its not about money now, its about getting the crowds in for the remainder of the season and winning this damned league. A spectacular finish to the season would see huge crowds for the start of the next season whatever league we are in.

geezer
01/10/2006, 9:28 AM
all systems go for the biggest game since the drogs play off id say in Terryland.
We still need plenty of hype to ensure it sells out, we dont want to turn people off by saying its sold out. it would be a shame to have 1 empty seat come friday. i can still imagine some galwegians arriving on fri ticketless, if it is sold out and complaining that they are regulars. the merest bit of rain or 10 car "traffic jam" is normally enough to turn off people goin to terryland.
so hype it up, tell everyone at your work and club where the place to be is on friday

corbyeire
01/10/2006, 10:29 AM
a fickel crowd no doubt

Terry
01/10/2006, 12:03 PM
Isnt ever football supporter fickel?

GUISAUltra
01/10/2006, 12:43 PM
will be absolutely massive to get this size of a game and a crowd in galway again. it just makes you wonder where all these fans were when we had 200 fans against kildare earlier in the season. i wonder if we dont beat rovers, how many fans will we get for the upcoming games

GUISAUltra
01/10/2006, 12:49 PM
should be a cracking game. all we need now is the football to live up to the hype

GUISAUltra
01/10/2006, 12:54 PM
Might stick with the same side that beayt limerick with nigel being sacrificed for wes and alan keane going out to right back. john russells performance against limerick also means that hes in with a serious shout of getting a strating place. it depends what tony wants to go for. safe and steady - fran and foley, if he wants to go and be creative - murphs and russler are too of the most creative in the league if not in ireland. interesting to see who he picks come friday

thescoringgoals
01/10/2006, 11:52 PM
use all manner of time wasting tactics to get it,dublin teams have time wasting tactics down to a fine art,next friday night they will go down at the slighest touch,their keeper will take 30 seconds to place the ball for a goal kick,they will stand in front of our player trying to take a quick free kick,they will do all this and more,ive seen it in terryland so many times that im going their this friday expecting them to do it.i just hope we have a strong ref,hopefully they get a premier league ref for the match.this isnt me trying to annoy rovers fans or anything,this is just me saying what their players will do.big games like this one are sometimes spoiled by a refs decisions,or lack of,ive just seen it too many times that im a realist about it,not a pessimist.

mypost
02/10/2006, 3:49 AM
dublin teams have time wasting tactics down to a fine art,next friday night they will go down at the slighest touch,their keeper will take 30 seconds to place the ball for a goal kick,they will stand in front of our player trying to take a quick free kick,they will do all this and more,ive seen it in terryland so many times that im going their this friday expecting them to do it.i just hope we have a strong ref.this is just me saying what their players will do.ive just seen it too many times.

Pot, Kettle, Black. It's good to know the sense of humour in Galway. :D

This crazy post, comes from a fan of a club which spent 180 minutes in Tolka this season, doing all of the above. It worked until we finally punished it in injury time in August.

We're looking to win also, as payback for the defeat in June. :ball:

corbyeire
02/10/2006, 8:42 AM
obviously you are looking to win - ye are 3 points behind us :rolleyes:

GuisaSaigon
02/10/2006, 9:00 AM
I was out in Spiddal over the weekend and everybody was talking about United.people who havent been at a game in years are saying that they are definetely going on Friday.How are tickets going ? could sell out very soon with the level of interest being shown.Spread the word good times are here again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Terry
02/10/2006, 9:28 AM
the missus is gone into town again this morning buying another 5 tickets more for me. Demand is unreal, haven't seen anything like it since the play offs again drogheda.

gufct
02/10/2006, 10:12 AM
just make sure to get them tickets early lads it will make it much easier to manage and steward for everyone concerned.There will be NO tickets available on friday and you went get down the carpark road without one.Also Car parking cant be guarenteed after 7 o'clock no exceptions.

Terry
02/10/2006, 1:58 PM
I see S&S clubs in a numerous amount of factories in the city are selling the tickets as well and are apparently doing well also.