PDA

View Full Version : Irish Team of the Week Thread - Selection Week 1

blobbyblob
25/09/2006, 9:44 AM
Boys and Girls.

I propose that we nominate a Irish Team of the week every Monday and keep a table of those selected each week. Those with the most selections at the end of the season should be presented with the Newly formed Foot.ie Player of the Year award. Nominations for each position taken every monday until 3pm where upon a decision will be made. All those in favour say aye and then make your selection.

Players ill nominate for their performances over the weekend would include, Kevin Doyle, Aiden McGeady, Stephen Carr, Steve Finnan and Carsley

Stuttgart88
25/09/2006, 9:57 AM
Alan Lee for his 2 goals, Clinton for his volley. Yesterday's Observer said James O'Connor at Burnley had a very good game. McPhail's Cardiff won 3-0.

FootballsKing
25/09/2006, 10:14 AM
Definately Aidan Mc Geady although I stronngly disagree with your inclusion of Kevin Doyle, who despite scoring didnt seem to play well at all from where I was standing!

Seano
25/09/2006, 10:17 AM
Definately Aidan Mc Geady although I stronngly disagree with your inclusion of Kevin Doyle, who despite scoring didnt seem to play well at all from where I was standing!

I definately agree with you on Doyle, he looked off the pace and even unfit in the second half, thats not like him at all.

tetsujin1979
25/09/2006, 10:54 AM
Dunne made it into the Irish Indepedent Saturday team, City have yet to concede at home this season.
Mark Kennedy got the assist for Clinton's goal too.

Dodge
25/09/2006, 11:46 AM
Pointless lads unless you take the ratings from somewhere, practically nobody saw anyone play bar the TV games.

BTW Doyle wasn't unfit, just knackered after working his socks off. Did enough IMO

gustavo
25/09/2006, 11:55 AM
I'm guessing i cant nominate Irish players from games i would have actually seen at the weekend for fear of being laughed at

BobbySands
25/09/2006, 12:43 PM
Richie Foran got a hat trick during the week. Admittedly against poor opposition but it puts him right up there with the top scorers in the SPL.

Bring Back Mick
25/09/2006, 2:16 PM
Ritchie Dempsey made a 2nd half debut for the LONDON RISSC up front, scored his 1st goal for the Boys in Green and inspired a 2nd half performance which had Stoke SC rocking.......................

blobbyblob
25/09/2006, 2:57 PM
Are you Richie Dempsey? Tell the truth now...

hogey
26/09/2006, 10:55 AM
Owen Heary was fantastic last week and is far better Stephen Carr and the English fella St Ledger.

NeilMcD
27/09/2006, 10:18 AM
Just out of curiousity have you seen much of the "English fella" sic playing

gustavo
27/09/2006, 2:31 PM
As Dodge said its pretty pointless as very few here would have actually seen the players play

pete
27/09/2006, 2:33 PM
What about Dominic Foley?

theworm2345
14/10/2006, 10:38 PM
From what I can get from all of the websites, not in order (if someone is on the right, it doesnt mean they are a winger)
Team:
Manager: Mick McCarthy, not much competition, won his match
----------------Kenny------------------
--Dunne---Finnan---Breen---McCarthy---
Kilbane--Rowlands--Kinsella--Glenn Whelan
----------Doyle------Connolly-----------

Kenny-made 4 saves and kept a clean sheet
Dunne-kept a clean sheet for Man City, nearly scored as well
Finnan-played pretty well, apparently could've had an assist
Breen-kept clean sheet for Wolves and from the bits that I heard on Wolves radio he personally swept up a few attacks
McCarthy-wasn't terrific, but wasnt too bad, cleared one ball off the line
Kilbane-had an assist for Wigan, even though he didnt play the whole match
Rowlands-scored twice for QPR to help them earn a point
Kinsella-scored for Walsall, supposedly played very well when he came on (perhaps excluded because he was playing in League 2)
Whelan-scored and played well for Sheffield Wednesday
Doyle-hit the post and apparently was playing well, Hunt is not here because I heard all he did was hurt Cech
Connolly-Sunderland man of the match, had to shots saved that easily couldve gone the other way

Honorable Mention
Liam Lawrence (assist, though wasnt great besides that)
Alan Lee (Didnt play too bad)
Mark Kennedy (didn't play too bad for Cyrstal Palace, nearly scored and nearly had an assist)
St. Ledger (only let in one goal, though from the commentary it seemed as if Connolly (and Murphy once maybe) got by him a few times)
Stokes (scored, though it was from about a yard out. Didn't play too bad otherwise though)
Alan Quinn (played pretty well for Sheffield United)

Shame
Alex Bruce (let in 5 goals)
Clive Clarke (let in 4 goals)
Steve Hunt (only hurt Cech in his start, did it one week to late ;), perhaps a bit harsh)
Robbie Keane (Dropped from the starting 11 because of terrible form)
Roy Keane (another away loss, 4-1)
Stephen Ireland (came off at half time, must have been playing bad)

livehead1
15/10/2006, 11:08 AM
Lee Trundle with 2 goals and a great assist.

tetsujin1979
15/10/2006, 12:46 PM
Stephen Ireland (came off at half time, must have been playing bad)

Stephen Ireland didn't play against Sheffield United

theworm2345
15/10/2006, 2:25 PM
Lee Trundle with 2 goals and a great assist.
He still hasn't declared to the best of my knowledge

Stephen Ireland didn't play against Sheffield United
I think your right, but heres what I found on EPL.com :confused:

As the game opened up, Quinn shaved the bar from 15 yards, while Ishmael Miller - a half-time replacement for Stephen Ireland - did likewise with a bullet header from seven yards in latching onto another Barton free-kick.

tetsujin1979
15/10/2006, 3:46 PM
I think your right, but heres what I found on EPL.com :confused:

On Man City's official site, the lineup is given as:

City: Hart, Richards, Jordan (Miller h-t), Dunne, Distin, Trabelsi, Barton, Hamann (Reyna 58), Sinclair, Corradi (Dickov 70), Samaras

subs: Schmeichel, Johnson

That's Kasper Schmeichel, Peter's son on the bench.

And EPL.com is Edison Price Lighting:confused:

theworm2345
15/10/2006, 4:41 PM
And EPL.com is Edison Price Lighting :confused:

you know what I meant
http://premierleague.com/competition/matchreport/report.html?id=2686690

eirebhoy
16/10/2006, 11:01 AM
He still hasn't declared to the best of my knowledge

He declared for us every fortnight for a period. :) From watching him on soccer am and reading his quotes he was brought up Irish as much as Kilbane or Breen.