PDA

View Full Version : 7 League games left...

sligoman
24/09/2006, 8:34 PM
Remaining games:

Waterford United (H)
Derry City (A)
Cork City (A)
Shelbourne (H)
UCD (A)
Drogheda United (H)
Bray Wanderers (A)

4 of which are against the top 4:eek:. If we want to be taken serious about challenging the top 4 and qualify for Europe then we have to be looking at 9 points from Waterford, UCD and Bray combined. Any extra points we get would be a bonus in my opinion. Out of the top 4, Drogheda would be the only ones I could see us actually defeating, mainly cos it's a home game. Taking three points from them would be a big ask, but not out of our reach either. Getting at least a point from the other three would be great.

Unfortunately, I think it's too late to secure a European spot this season, in the league anyway. The cup is still a real possibility though. It's getting exciting now:).

gustavo
24/09/2006, 8:51 PM
Surely if we want to be taken seriously as top 4 contenders then actually beating some of the top 4 would be more of a priority than the other games.

sligoman
24/09/2006, 8:53 PM
Surely if we want to be taken seriously as top 4 contenders then actually beating some of the top 4 would be more of a priority than the other games.Not really, theirs no point beating a big team one week and then not been able to beat a weaker team another. A bit like us beating Derry 3-1 in the Showgies and then losing to UCD 1-0.

Conor H
24/09/2006, 9:03 PM
Surely if we want to be taken seriously as top 4 contenders then actually beating some of the top 4 would be more of a priority than the other games.

Exactly.If you can't beat any of the top 4 ye won't finish in the top 4.I doubt ye'll get 9 points off the easier teams either but i could see yee beating one of the top 4.Sligo will finish 5th and unfortunately i think yee may just sneak the cup!:( :p

gustavo
24/09/2006, 9:08 PM
Not really, theirs no point beating a big team one week and then not been able to beat a weaker team another. A bit like us beating Derry 3-1 in the Showgies and then losing to UCD 1-0.
Yeah but if you beat one of the top 4 you take away points from them whilst also getting points for yourself. Obviously its important to beat the other teams but still I would rather we got points off teams in front of us

feo123
25/09/2006, 8:13 AM
i think we should be lookin to beat some of the top 4 teams if we want to break into that bracket!!
id be happy with:
Waterford (away) WIN
Derry (away) lose
Cork (away) lose
Shels (home) draw
UCD (away) WIN
drogheda (home) WIN
bray (away) WIN

sligoman
25/09/2006, 8:33 AM
i think we should be lookin to beat some of the top 4 teams if we want to break into that bracket!!
id be happy with:
Waterford (away) WIN
Waterford game is at home!

avvenalaf
25/09/2006, 11:46 AM
Conor H, you seem to have wandered into a place above your station. It's like going into the Corporate Tent by mistake at The Ryder Cup. Now kindly leave or we will have to call the stewards to remove you. OLLIE ON STANDBY PLEASE.

Rory H
25/09/2006, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=sligoman;540324]Remaining games:

Waterford United (H)
Derry City (A)
Cork City (A)
Shelbourne (H)
UCD (A)
Drogheda United (H)
Bray Wanderers (A)

QUOTE]

all 4 are tough and clearly will decide whether its top 3 or top 5.....i think we have a point to prove in all 3 though and the four teams i really want us to beat are them....and sean will have the players really up for it....i think we can catch the two teams above us

gustavo
25/09/2006, 11:53 AM
He's welcome here as long as he avoids the old trolling

red metal
25/09/2006, 12:08 PM
id be happy with:
Waterford (away) WIN
Derry (away) lose
Cork (away) lose
Shels (home) draw
UCD (away) WIN
drogheda (home) WIN
bray (away) WIN

I agree with you on all the results.But i think we would be good for a draw v Cork stupid as it sound!There is no way that Cork were 3 goals better than us in the showgrounds.And i think Sean will remind the lads of that.And i think that would bring us to 52 points.And all in all a very good season

Conor H
25/09/2006, 1:52 PM
Conor H, you seem to have wandered into a place above your station. It's like going into the Corporate Tent by mistake at The Ryder Cup. Now kindly leave or we will have to call the stewards to remove you. OLLIE ON STANDBY PLEASE.

WTF is your problem?Who are you?

I say yere going to finish 5th and tip yee for the cup and you ask me to leave?Read the rules of foot.ie again buddy you can't pick and choose who you want to post in the SRFC forum.

Anyway i reckon Bray away could be tough for yee lot aswell lads-teams struggling at the foot of the table always come good in the later stages.....they might proove sticky oppisition.

avvenalaf
25/09/2006, 2:55 PM
You don't do irony, do you, Conor?. It's ok, I've put your toys back in the pram.

Magicme
27/09/2006, 9:13 AM
Leave the lad alone.....one of the least annoying people on foot.ie

sligoman
27/09/2006, 9:14 PM
Leave the lad alone.....one of the least annoying people on foot.ieMagicme, you forgot the ":rolleyes:" after yer sentence there:p

Magicme
28/09/2006, 11:02 AM
no...there was no :rolleyes: missing.....there would be in I came out with a statement like "sligoman is a man"

gustavo
28/09/2006, 11:27 AM
Can ye stay on topic please

Magicme
28/09/2006, 11:32 AM
sorry....*grovels at gustavos feet*

Redzer
28/09/2006, 12:31 PM
It's quite possible to go to the end of the season without been beaten.
Waterford (away) Win
Derry (away) draw
Cork (away) draw
Shels (home) draw
UCD (away) Win
drogheda (home) Win or draw
bray (away) Win
Drawing with the 4 teams on top and winning the rest would leave us 13 points.
Would that be enough to qualify for Inter Toto?

gustavo
28/09/2006, 12:43 PM
unlikely seeing as we are relying on the teams above us to drop points and the best way of doing that is by beating them

The Stars
28/09/2006, 3:32 PM
If we get to the Cup Final and Meet Derry then are we in Europe for Sure?

Schumi
28/09/2006, 3:42 PM
If we get to the Cup Final and Meet Derry then are we in Europe for Sure?Only if Derry win the league.

I wouldn't be surprised if you made 4th place, Cork and Drogheda are catchable for you IMO although it's difficult to see you passing both for the 3rd place you'd need for Europe through the league.

gustavo
28/09/2006, 4:25 PM
So if we get to the final v Derry and we play Derry in the league would it be in our best interests not to win that game just in case :)

The Stars
28/09/2006, 4:31 PM
no cos if we win the Cup we get into Europe anyway...i think.

gustavo
28/09/2006, 4:43 PM
Yeah but it would be like insurance !

1 9 2 8
28/09/2006, 5:00 PM
We should beat Waterford and Bray. UCD away should be a win on paper but 25 years and counting... It's possible to pick up 5 points from the Derry, Shels and Cork games. That leaves the Drogheda game in the Showgrunds which is a six pointer it could go anyway. I still think the cup is our best chance of European football next year.

Poor Student
28/09/2006, 5:49 PM
Sligo are in a fortunate enough position. They have 3 possible avenues into Europe. Win the cup, finish runners up to a title winning Derry in the cup or take 3rd or 4th place and hope Derry win the cup.

As 1928 has pointed out, you may expect a win at Belfield but your record against UCD leaves a lot to be desired.

DmanDmythDledge
28/09/2006, 10:24 PM
I can see Sligo finishing fourth this season. They seem to have an easier run of games than Drogheda and are in better form at the moment.

UCD away should be a win on paper but 25 years and counting...
I think this season's record would be more of a concern. Also I don't think the 25 year record would make any difference. 5 games since roughly 1995? Nothing to do with present day.

I don't see how you would consider it to be a win on paper though. Sligo have a slightly better starting XI(IMO), which is cancelled out by this seasons meetings and UCD's home form/ Sligo's away form, though it has improved. Draw on the cards imo.

Rory H
29/09/2006, 10:55 AM
I can see Sligo finishing fourth this season. They seem to have an easier run of games than Drogheda and are in better form at the moment.

I think this season's record would be more of a concern. Also I don't think the 25 year record would make any difference. 5 games since roughly 1995? Nothing to do with present day.

I don't see how you would consider it to be a win on paper though. Sligo have a slightly better starting XI(IMO), which is cancelled out by this seasons meetings and UCD's home form/ Sligo's away form, though it has improved. Draw on the cards imo.

we have a point to prove..sean connor wont accept anything less than a win..we will win

RoversInn
05/10/2006, 4:12 PM
Waterford (away) WIN
Derry (away) Draw
Cork (away) Win
Shels (home) draw
UCD (away) WIN
drogheda (home) WIN
bray (away) WIN

gustavo
05/10/2006, 4:23 PM
Very optimistic there RoversInn!

kkontour
05/10/2006, 4:31 PM
Waterford (away) WIN
Derry (away) Draw
Cork (away) Win
Shels (home) draw
UCD (away) WIN
drogheda (home) WIN
bray (away) WIN

Waterford is at home.

sligoman
06/10/2006, 8:26 PM
Drogheda are losing 2-0 away to St.Pat's tonight, about 8mins left. If we can beat Drogs in the showgies, 4th is a real possibility:).

SligoBrewer
07/10/2006, 9:58 AM
Drogheda are losing 2-0 away to St.Pat's tonight, about 8mins left. If we can beat Drogs in the showgies, 4th is a real possibility:).

yeah,:) hope the lads can cope with the pressure, and not bottle it like they nearly did last year

sligoman
10/10/2006, 8:39 PM
Drogheda are losing 2-0 away to St.Pat's tonight, about 8mins left. If we can beat Drogs in the showgies, 4th is a real possibility:).Of course Drogheda have pick up form when they're playing one of the hardest teams in the league:rolleyes:. They bet Derry 2-1 away from home tonight:(.

SligoBrewer
10/10/2006, 8:44 PM
They bet Derry 2-1 away from home tonight

arse!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Schumi
11/10/2006, 12:13 PM
Don't worry, we'll beat them for you on Saturday. We're a goal scoring machine now. :D

RoversInn
12/10/2006, 7:52 AM
Very optimistic there RoversInn!

Everything to be optimstic about :)