PDA

View Full Version : Civic reception for Derry in France

sligoman
24/09/2006, 8:06 PM
Derry City FC will receive a red carpet reception on their visit to Paris this week. The Candystripes play Paris Saint Germain in the 1st Round of the UEFA Cup in Paris on Thursday evening.

Before that though, the Irish Ambassador to France, Anne Anderson, will host a civic reception for the manager, players, staff and officials of Derry City Football Club and among those in attendance will be the Mayor of Derry, Helen Quigley, the MP for Foyle, Mark Durkan, and his wife Jackie, along with other dignitaries in Paris for the game.

Continued here (http://irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=5435).

dcfcsteve
25/09/2006, 12:35 AM
Nice gesture.

Good to see that someone in officialdom knows there are Irish teams other than Manchester United and Glassow Celtic in existence, and that they are capable of progressing the cause of Irish sport.

thomas
25/09/2006, 10:47 AM
Would DCFC have turned away a similar invite from the Queens ambassador in Paris?

OneRedArmy
25/09/2006, 11:14 AM
Would DCFC have turned away a similar invite from the Queens ambassador in Paris?There's only so many Ferrero Rocher you can eat in one evening...

Peadar
25/09/2006, 11:18 AM
Not looking for a load of hotheads to pile in here, but why are the MP's etc. going to be there? I can understand the team being invited but an Irish Ambassador hosting British MP's in Paris is a bit odd.

dcfcsteve
25/09/2006, 11:22 AM
Would DCFC have turned away a similar invite from the Queens ambassador in Paris?

Well done Thomas. You win the award for the first person to rather predictably bring up the double-edged political/constitutional status of Derry/Northern Ireland.

Good for you. Only took 10 hours and 12mins, though I suspect you and everyone else on the board spent most of that time asleep, so doubly impressive. :rolleyes:

Why would the British representative in Paris look to host a reception for a team representing Ireland playing a team representing France.....? Should they have Ajax round for a cup of tea the next time they face PSG in Europe as well ? Did the Romany ambassador to Poland, or the Minister for the Homeless, host a reception for the Rovers team when you played Odra......?

Tell you what - when the British ambassador to Paris sends us the invite, we'll worry about it then.

dcfcsteve
25/09/2006, 11:28 AM
Not looking for a load of hotheads to pile in here, but why are the MP's etc. going to be there? I can understand the team being invited but an Irish Ambassador hosting British MP's in Paris is a bit odd.

C'mon Peader - you're not that daft.

Glad to see your Unionist credentials to the fore though, and that you consider Mark Durkan to be British.

How can it be odd to invite the team, but not the MP ? Both represent the same town, regardless fo which particular jurisdiction it falls in at the moment. And it's MP singular, not plural. Shocking that the Irish Ambassador should want the MP for Derry to come along as well given that he's in Paris for the day. Probably driven by a sense of guilt, given that it was the Irish government who deserted places like Derry in 1922 for their own benefit, and therefore ensured they remained constitutionally British......

Peadar
25/09/2006, 11:35 AM
Glad to see your Unionist credentials to the fore though, and that you consider Mark Durkan to be British.

Now, now Steve, don't turn this into an political flame war.
The guy is elected as part of a British democracy. I therefore consider his status as MP to be a British title. I'm not concerned about his nationality.

I'm just not sure why politics should be mixed in with football, when Derry play in the league of a country seperate from that which those officials were elected.

There was no Civic Reception when we went to Nantes, but then again, it wouldn't have been politically notable if there was.

OneRedArmy
25/09/2006, 12:11 PM
Why oh why do Derry fans have to rise to this every single time something like this is brought up?

Its not like anyone has anything novel or unique to bring to the discussion.

Ignoring it gives it the recognition it derserves.

dcfcsteve
25/09/2006, 12:23 PM
Now, now Steve, don't turn this into an political flame war.
The guy is elected as part of a British democracy. I therefore consider his status as MP to be a British title. I'm not concerned about his nationality.

I'm just not sure why politics should be mixed in with football, when Derry play in the league of a country seperate from that which those officials were elected.

There was no Civic Reception when we went to Nantes, but then again, it wouldn't have been politically notable if there was.

Apparently the Irish ambassadorial residence in Nantes was shut-down the day before Cork City played there.....!

Tell you what - we'll arrange a British government reception for your last game of the season at the Brandywell, with lots of British political representatives from Sinn Fein and the SDLP in attendnace. Then Rico can talk them through why their city was deserted by the Free State for the geographical equivalent of 30 pieces of silver in 1922..... :D

David
25/09/2006, 12:26 PM
Why would the British representative in Paris look to host a reception for a team representing Ireland playing a team representing France.....?

Maybe for the same reason that the British Broadcasting Corporation are showing the game live. :p

Peadar
25/09/2006, 12:37 PM
Tell you what - we'll arrange a British government reception for your last game of the season at the Brandywell, with lots of British political representatives from Sinn Fein and the SDLP in attendnace. Then Rico can talk them through why their city was deserted by the Free State for the geographical equivalent of 30 pieces of silver in 1922..... :D

But Steve, I've already said I don't think politics should be associated with football. You've yet to convince me otherwise. If anything, you're strengthening my argument.

dcfcsteve
25/09/2006, 12:53 PM
Maybe for the same reason that the British Broadcasting Corporation are showing the game live. :p

So how does that explain Irish broadcaster TG4 broadcasting our game in the Irish Language across Ireland on Friday then....? :D

Holding my breath for the emergence of Ulster Scots TV. Beamed live from a shaky studio in downtown Ball-a-meeen-ahh with a framed photo of Ian Snr in the background...... :p

bigmac
25/09/2006, 12:55 PM
to get away from the political wumming, I think it's a great idea, and one that should be taken up by embassies all over Europe - when I lived in Norway I used to get invitations to a fair few functions at the embassy and would have much preferred to have a football team there rather than some of the stuff I could have sat through.

dcfcsteve
25/09/2006, 12:55 PM
But Steve, I've already said I don't think politics should be associated with football. You've yet to convince me otherwise. If anything, you're strengthening my argument.

Ambassadors are non-political ! Hence - not an issue.....

As for not mixing politics and football, remember that the next time we're all whinging about the lack of government grants for football in Ireland..... :p

Did you complain about the ROI'S visit to the Vatican before Itala 90 btw ? :D

BohsFans
25/09/2006, 1:02 PM
As for not mixing politics and football, remember that the next time we're all whinging about the lack of government grants for football in Ireland..... :p

Make sure your chairman takes full advantage of it then!

btw has the Brandy been handed over to DCFC yet? I remember seeing your plans for a new stadium on that site not so long ago.

dcfcsteve
25/09/2006, 2:01 PM
Make sure your chairman takes full advantage of it then!

btw has the Brandy been handed over to DCFC yet? I remember seeing your plans for a new stadium on that site not so long ago.

Not yet, and the whole situation is as clear as mud.

Seemingly it's the doggymen holding it up now. Have come up with no plans or funding of their own, yet want to be included in the new stadium plans. Wasters lost their opportunity once Lifford was built, so they can beat it...

Peadar
25/09/2006, 2:22 PM

Actually, now that I think of it, watching football in your sittingroom is probably an example of mixing politics with football. :D

thomas
25/09/2006, 2:29 PM
Are you paranoid or what?

But seriously, is the award your giving me made out of the big nordie chip missing out of your shoulder? And when can I collectit?

cheifo
25/09/2006, 2:29 PM
Suitable gesture and about time(and I support the Harps).Now this time if there is not sufficent RTE coverage(build up, after match follow up) we should
complain en masse.I could not beleive the lack of coverage after the game with Gretna(rte radio excepted).For me its an Eircom league issue not a Derry issue.And Eircom should throw their weight in as well(ad revenue).They pay the bucks, their losing potential publicity.

OneRedArmy
25/09/2006, 3:31 PM
Are you paranoid or what?

But seriously, is the award your giving me made out of the big nordie chip missing out of your shoulder? And when can I collectit?There used to be a common sign in shops which said "please don't as for credit, as a refusal often offends".

Apply this to your initial question and you get the answer.

thomas
25/09/2006, 3:47 PM
There used to be a common sign in shops which said "please don't as for credit, as a refusal often offends".

Apply this to your initial question and you get the answer.

How quaint that you can remember the good aul days when everything was still Free.

OneRedArmy
25/09/2006, 3:56 PM
How quaint that you can remember the good aul days when everything was still Free.Your response proves the purpose of your initial "question" despite your protestations of a "Nordie chip on shoulder".

Congratulations on successful WUMMing, I'm just sorry that some people still felt the need to rise to it.

The internet was made for people like you..........

dcfcsteve
25/09/2006, 4:40 PM
How quaint that you can remember the good aul days when everything was still Free.

..which is exactly the opposite to what the quoted sign was saying. :rolleyes:

If you're going to try and WUM with the big boys, and least try to keep up...

thomas
26/09/2006, 9:36 PM
[QUOTE=dcfcsteve;540540]
Why would the British representative in Paris look to host a reception for a team representing Ireland playing a team representing France.....? QUOTE]

Ignoring all the other crap we posted, why should my tax yoyos be wasted on a team who pay their tax to the queen. No double edged sword there. Maybe the IR in the UK should get on to the ambassador?

As for representing Ireland, refer to the above, no taxation without representation.

aido1895
26/09/2006, 9:56 PM
Ignoring all the other crap we posted, why should my tax yoyos be wasted on a team who pay their tax to the queen. No double edged sword there. Maybe the IR in the UK should get on to the ambassador?

As for representing Ireland, refer to the above, no taxation without representation.

Yawn. . . . they pay their taxes to the queen etc etc.
They are representing our league and for that reason have been afforded a reception by our ambassador in Paris.

Would you be so quick to bring it up/ moan about it if the derry gaelic football team were afforded a reception by the ambassador in paris ?

OneRedArmy
26/09/2006, 10:03 PM

As for representing Ireland, refer to the above, no taxation without representation.Great use of the Royal "we" there (pardon the pun). You posted all the crap.

IN answer to your question, I see where you are coming from, but lets just set the cost of the reception against all the tax "yoyos" Rovers cost the taxpayers of the Irish Republic (myself included) in their Revenue agreement when they came out of examinership last year(3 cent in the euro wasn't it?) and call it quits.

You keep throwing them up and I'll keep knocking them down....

dcfcsteve
26/09/2006, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=dcfcsteve;540540] Why would the British representative in Paris look to host a reception for a team representing Ireland playing a team representing France.....? QUOTE]

Ignoring the fact that you've got that famous quote completely arse about tit for this context, I actually agree with you Thomas. I'd love us to come under the domain of the Republic's Revenue Commissioners - as then we wouldn't be the only team in the league at the distinct disadvantage of having to pay tax on our gate receipts..... :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'd also hate to see any Irish tax money spent on other extra-jurisdicial Irish athletes representing Ireland. A certain high profile Olympic swimmer who lived and trained in Holland springs to mind, for example. And isn't it a disgrace to see public bodies like the FAI waste good Irish money on Irish-based footballers who earn the Queen's shilling playing for English and Scottish teams, whilst pretending to represent te Republic internationally ? As for Dublin tax payers money being wasted on giving Big jack the freedom of the city - well, the least said about that fiscal travesty the better, eh.....?

That aside, probably one of your better efforts at WUMming in this thread. A 4 or 5/10 - keep up the good work....

Strabane_Harp
27/09/2006, 7:35 AM
nice to see the spirit of partition is alive and well in here.

Michael McDowell would be so proud of you all

Dassa
27/09/2006, 8:18 AM
I believe whether some like it or not that DCFC are representing their fans from the City and LOI first and foremost and in a way NI as the team comes from there. Its a very nice gesture from the ROI ambassador and Im sure will add to the occassion for the Club.

Strabane_Harp
27/09/2006, 8:32 AM
there in no way representing the north, nor the south.

They are representing this Island! Simple as.

If the irish ambassador wishes to grant a reception for a team or irish men, then thats her decision and fair play to her.

as for suggestions about british MP's and british ambassadors, catch a bloody grip. Mark Durkan, although i despise him and his party, is elected in ireland to represent a constituency as irish as any other. That he decides to do so in a foreign parliament is his choice.

are some people posting just to get a sly dig at derry?

Candystripe
27/09/2006, 8:52 AM
are some people posting just to get a sly dig at derry?

Of course they are. Jealousy perhaps?

Whats the world coming to when the only wan stickin up for Derry City is a Finn Harps man!?!?!??! :confused:

Dassa
27/09/2006, 8:52 AM
he hardly sits in a foreign parliament. He represents a constituency in NI part of the UK whether you or I like it, Fair enough It is a foriegn parliament to people in the ROI. It was never a sly dig at DCFC Im glad to see a team from my part of Europe doing well for a change.

Strabane_Harp
27/09/2006, 8:56 AM
he hardly sits in a foreign parliament. He represents a constituency in NI part of the UK whether you or I like it, Fair enough It is a foriegn parliament to people in the ROI. It was never a sly dig at DCFC Im glad to see a team from my part of Europe doing well for a change.

wasnt referring to your post Dassa, but a number before it.

I wont argue with ye, being from Loughall you have enough on yer plate ;)

Strabane_Harp
27/09/2006, 8:58 AM
Of course they are. Jealousy perhaps?

Whats the world coming to when the only wan stickin up for Derry City is a Finn Harps man!?!?!??! :confused:

im just annoyed there takin my job Gary ;)

but in serious mode, why the hell does every topic about derry always end up with some damn reference to partition, the british queen, the border or some other stupid reference???

How about we finally applaud an irish official recognising irish sport?

Dassa
27/09/2006, 8:59 AM
wasnt referring to your post Dassa, but a number before it.

I wont argue with ye, being from Loughall you have enough on yer plate ;)

the place you talk of doesnt exist:) 2 g,s mate.Loughgall.trust us we definitely have enough on our plate hammered 3 by an average larne side.

good luck to DC and hope the fans enjoy the trip its not often an irish side is involved in europe at this stage

Strabane_Harp
27/09/2006, 9:11 AM
so your admitting there irish now then dassa :p

good man,

was quite surprised at the score against Larne

even more surprised at what happened in Windsor!!!

wonder how much them linfield boys had on at eastwoods for that score lol

ndrog
27/09/2006, 10:26 AM
last time i heard Mark Durkan talk about football it was about his beloved Man u .Good to see his name associated with DCFC .Does he ever go to the brandeywell ?

Dassa
27/09/2006, 6:55 PM
so your admitting there irish now then dassa :p

good man,

was quite surprised at the score against Larne

even more surprised at what happened in Windsor!!!

wonder how much them linfield boys had on at eastwoods for that score lol

always saidthey were irish just not from ROI ie they are Northern Irish.

Billy Lord
27/09/2006, 9:37 PM
Northside Hoop is correct. Derry City represent themselves and no one else, but they are also proudly flying the Irish flag in Europe. I wish Rovers were facing PSG tomorrow but I'd hate it if fans of other Irish clubs were trying for some reflective glory if all goes well. I can't think of a greater compliment.
Best of luck Derry City! Make my envy your energy and you can't lose.
But afterwards you'll revert to being just another club that Rovers want to beat.