PSG v Derry City
o BBC 2, Setanta

Paddypower.com
Home 1 - 7
Draw 5 - 1
Away 12 - 1

JC_GUFC
24/09/2006, 5:42 PM
Incidentally PP are the biggest price on PSG winning the match at 1/7.

Derry are 20/1 with Totesport! :eek:

I don't think they've much hope but a tenner on that will pay for my flights and match ticket if they win!

sligoman
24/09/2006, 5:46 PM
A draw at 5-1 looks worth a bit! Good odds for the win too though

pete
24/09/2006, 5:51 PM
No hope of Derry City winning the match really. Best can hope for is score draw. If you think Derry will progress 1-1 is the most likely score @ 11/1.

Soper
24/09/2006, 5:53 PM
I dont really see how you can say there's no hope?

pete
24/09/2006, 5:55 PM
I dont really see how you can say there's no hope?

If you look at the recent eL result is europe we have often held teams close at home and maybe unlucky not to win. Away legs have been a lot different though.

Derrys advantage however is that even if PSG score they are still well in the game as 1-1 gets them through.

Raheny Red
24/09/2006, 5:57 PM
2-0 home win.

sligoman
24/09/2006, 6:03 PM
2-2 draw is 40-1. I'm gonna put a euro on that!

JayC90
24/09/2006, 6:10 PM
If you look at the recent eL result is europe we have often held teams close at home and maybe unlucky not to win. Away legs have been a lot different though.

Derrys advantage however is that even if PSG score they are still well in the game as 1-1 gets them through.
None of these 'recent eL results in Europe' you are citing have involved Derry City, so using other teams past results against Derry is a bit harsh. We have knocked out every team that has stood in our way so far this season in Europe, so surely you should be basing your prediction on that. Even since Shelbourne's tie against Deportivo though, the league has progressed a huge amount. Irish clubs are much more consistent in Europe now. If you want to say that PSG came to the Brandywell looking for a draw and didn't play to their potential, then you'd have to admit that Derry were by no means at their best either. I didn't see much threat from PSG to be honest, but McHugh was a handful for the PSG defence all night. Also, they're coming into the game on the back of a disappointing 0-0 draw with Nancy.
To say we have no chance is a bit ridiculous. We have the players who can score and cut defences apart and if McCourt, Deery and McHugh all play well, I think we have a huge chance of scoring. If we do score first, we would be in a brilliant position - PSG, one of the G14, 1 goal down against Derry City in front of 48,000 fans, I think they could collapse. Even so, I would have enough faith in our defence that we wouldn't concede more than a goal.
Why are some people being so pessimistic about the result? We've got a real chance of progressing so please, wise up.

Soper
24/09/2006, 6:10 PM
Yeah, I understand that.I just think Kenny has a few more tricks up his sleeve tactically than, for example, Fenlon had (you know, away against Steua last season for example).I really think PSG are nothing special, and to use Newcastle as an example, there wasn't a lot between them and Ventspils in the last round, and again, against Tallin in this round - I would say Derry are at least on a level with those teams, and PSG wouldn't be a million miles away from Newcastle's level.

pete
24/09/2006, 6:14 PM
Newcastle are pathetic so don't use them as an example.

I think Derry have chance at draw but not a win. I will be cheering them on to qualify.

I could use Shels and Cork City examples in the CL 3rd qualifying round or Uefa 1st round to make my case. Deportivo, Lille, & Red Star games to name a few show how a tight game in Ireland is a easy win away.

EnDai
24/09/2006, 6:26 PM
The Derry backline is magnificent, it will be tight, even if PSG have 90% posession they'll have one hell of a task.

Just look at the Shels game t'other night, Derry down to 10 with a striker in goal, and we only had about 5 shots at him, despite playing some fine ball. Mopped up virtually everything thrown at them.

dav_sfc
25/09/2006, 7:11 AM
The writing is on the wall. Derry are going through. I don't doubt it for a second. They have the fire power to crack shots in that no goalkeeper in the world could save, look at the goals against Gretna and Derry fans could list another 5 or 6 I'd say. They will make and get the chances to score at least one goal. They have a defense that gets tighter with the more pressure you put on it. PSG will be lucky to cancel out the goal or two that Derry will score. If its a nil all then no better men than the Derry crew to put away penalties under pressure, (See league cup final for reference). Lets see PSG face penalties against the 'minnows' of the Eircom league. They will buckle like a bike under Pat Dolan or a club managed by Roddy Collins.
I'm just saying what the Derry faithful are thinking but don't want to say for fear of jinx or ridicule.
No need lads, go over and see your club make history. As they say in china 加油.

bigmac
25/09/2006, 9:31 AM
Yeah, I understand that.I just think Kenny has a few more tricks up his sleeve tactically than, for example, Fenlon had (you know, away against Steua last season for example).I really think PSG are nothing special, and to use Newcastle as an example, there wasn't a lot between them and Ventspils in the last round, and again, against Tallin in this round - I would say Derry are at least on a level with those teams, and PSG wouldn't be a million miles away from Newcastle's level.

I think Derry have a chance, but equating Derry's level via a roundabout 3 or 4 teams is not particularly relevant. That'd be like saying that because Derry drew at home with PSG they're on the same level as the top division in France. If the match were to be played ten times, PSG would probably go through on 8 or 9 of those occasions. But it'll only be played once so let's hope that it can be the one where Derry manage to get a draw or a win.

Drogman.
25/09/2006, 10:26 AM
Derry have a chance. PSG are having a terrible season and Lacombe is under serious pressure. If he doesn't get a result from the Derry game then its curtains.

I was over in France for the first leg, at the OM UEFA Cup game, and the next day the papers spoke highly of Derry, especially saying that they were impressed with their passing as they thought they would be hoofballers.

If Derry score first, then its game over and they'll make history. If PSG score first then its on a knief edge.

Krstic
25/09/2006, 10:37 AM
I honestly think we have a chance of progressing.

But I'd say it will be by way of a 1-1:ball:

wws
25/09/2006, 10:55 AM
if you fancy Derry to progress than a lay of PSG on betfair would be the gamble

think PSG's team sheet in Derry may be misleading - can see them making a few changes in personnel with killer pace rather than muscle and brawn being favoured this time out. My fear would be that Derry are basically knakkered after recent games v Shels - losing players to reds didnt help the legs of the others on the pitch either. They've a chance but it all hinges on who scores first!

lofty9
25/09/2006, 11:31 AM
if you fancy Derry to progress than a lay of PSG on betfair would be the gamble

think PSG's team sheet in Derry may be misleading - can see them making a few changes in personnel with killer pace rather than muscle and brawn being favoured this time out. My fear would be that Derry are basically knakkered after recent games v Shels - losing players to reds didnt help the legs of the others on the pitch either. They've a chance but it all hinges on who scores first!

http://home.skysports.com/matchreport.aspx?fxid=297858&channel=france&cpid=24

There hasn't been many changes in the team sheet since we played them. Kalou has come in this week for Rozenthal, Pauletta started the last two games. Rothen is injured, Dhorassoo has been dropped as far as I am aware and Cisse who was also dropped hasn't started a game since.

dcfcsteve
25/09/2006, 11:34 AM
My fear would be that Derry are basically knakkered after recent games v Shels - losing players to reds didnt help the legs of the others on the pitch either. They've a chance but it all hinges on who scores first!

Knackered - or even fitter ?

Do professional athletes really require more than 6 days to recover between games, even if they had to work a bit harder than usual in those games ?? :confused:

Did Derry suffer in the Friday game against Shels after 120 mins versus Shels 4 days earlier - much of which was spent with only 9 men ? Or did they cruise into a 2:0 lead, that could just as easily have been 3....?

If a professional athlete hasn't fully, or almost fully, recouperated form exertion within 6 days, then tell me - how long exactly do they need ? 2 weeks ?? A month ????

BohsFans
25/09/2006, 11:37 AM
Just wondering what's the deal with this?

Derry City fans are reminded that tickets for the PSG game will not be on sale after the close of business on Monday

Any unsold tickets must be returned to PSG on Tuesday and no tickets for the away end will be on sale at the Parc Des Princes.

lofty9
25/09/2006, 12:35 PM
Just wondering what's the deal with this?

I think the team and officials are leaving for France on Tuesday, therefore there will be nobody to sell them. AFAIK everybody has bought their tickets anyway. I;m sure it is to stop people gaining access to the away end that shouldn't be there.

wws
25/09/2006, 1:08 PM
Knackered - or even fitter ?

Do professional athletes really require more than 6 days to recover between games, even if they had to work a bit harder than usual in those games ?? :confused:

Did Derry suffer in the Friday game against Shels after 120 mins versus Shels 4 days earlier - much of which was spent with only 9 men ? Or did they cruise into a 2:0 lead, that could just as easily have been 3....?

If a professional athlete hasn't fully, or almost fully, recouperated form exertion within 6 days, then tell me - how long exactly do they need ? 2 weeks ?? A month ????

You should have this discussion with arsene wenger and rafa benitez - winning manager and runner up in the last two CL - and both banging on about how long it takes to recover from midweek internationals/cl games for the weekend. I actually disagree with their stated thinking on this and agree with you - they should be able for it but I think Derry have been involved in very demanding games recently and suffered extra due to red cards. I dunno how bad it will effect the derry players but McCourt , to take one example looked off his game in the first leg (dunno why, not sure if hes even a regular tbh) - if 3/4 others are slightly off their game due to the recent fixtures than it becomes a factor for Derry.

wws
25/09/2006, 1:37 PM
http://home.skysports.com/matchreport.aspx?fxid=297858&channel=france&cpid=24

There hasn't been many changes in the team sheet since we played them. Kalou has come in this week for Rozenthal, Pauletta started the last two games. Rothen is injured, Dhorassoo has been dropped as far as I am aware and Cisse who was also dropped hasn't started a game since.

they made 3/4 changes v Monaco (who they beat 1-2 after the derry game)

good sign for Derry's chances if he's chopping and changing every week

lofty9
25/09/2006, 2:38 PM
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=417861&CPID=24&clid=149&lid=&title=Vikash+lifts+lid+on+Lacombe+rift

alls not well anyhow. We might have a chance. :D

lofty9
26/09/2006, 2:08 PM
he's now suspended by PSG

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=418383&CPID=24&clid=149&lid=11&title=Dhorasoo+suspended+by+PSG

ccfcgirl
26/09/2006, 4:32 PM
Im going to put money on a win and a draw .I think Derry have a great chance ... Heading over to Paris tomorrow , No match tickets for Thursday night though.

refjohn
26/09/2006, 5:09 PM
Im going to put money on a win and a draw .I think Derry have a great chance ... Heading over to Paris tomorrow , No match tickets for Thursday night though.

go to www.psg.fr - buy section E as Derry fans in this section and section F but F was only available in Derry - you can the collect your tickets at various shops in paris I believe

ccfcgirl
26/09/2006, 5:35 PM
[QUOTE=refjohn;541502]go to www.psg.fr - buy section E as Derry fans in this section and section F but F was only available in Derry - you can the collect your tickets at various shops in paris I believe[/Quote Thanks for your Help......

pete
27/09/2006, 10:29 AM
PSG v Derry City
o BBC 2, Setanta

Paddypower.com
Home 1 - 7
Draw 5 - 1
Away 12 - 1

Gamebookers

PSG 13/100
Draw 5/1
Derry 18/1

lofty9
27/09/2006, 10:46 AM
Totesport
PSG 1/10
Draw 5/1
Derry 20/1

seand
27/09/2006, 12:59 PM
My apologies if this has been asked before, but is PSG v Derry being televised tomorrow?

Schumi
27/09/2006, 1:02 PM
It's on Setanta.

*Edit* It's also on BBC2.

mypost
28/09/2006, 1:27 AM
The timing of the first PSG goal is what will decide the tie. If Derry can keep the first half scoreless, then they have some hope. But if as expected, Derry concede early, as most Irish sides do away in Europe, it's merely a case of how low they can keep the score down to.

DvB
28/09/2006, 9:29 AM
Wheras i wish Derry all the best & i genuinely cant see them collapse i also just cant see them going through, i'd predict a 2-0 or 3-0 PSG with Derry putting up a good fight! Anything else is a bonus!

Koh

Irish Fan
28/09/2006, 9:39 AM
If Derry get a peno 2nite who will take it for them?

wws
28/09/2006, 9:56 AM
fck a derry penno - who'll go in goals for them when they're keeper is inevitably sent off!

Bomb Landsdowne
28/09/2006, 10:47 AM
have 25 euro on a draw and 20 euro for a derry win. good luck Derry

Raheny Red
28/09/2006, 5:18 PM
have 25 euro on a draw and 20 euro for a derry win. good luck Derry

You should have put 45 on PSG :p

pineapple stu
28/09/2006, 5:22 PM
fck a derry penno - who'll go in goals for them when they're keeper is inevitably sent off!
Their keeper won't get sent off. Only referees from the same town as the opposition - who inevitably favour their home-town team - send their keeper off. There's no other reason. Certainly nothing to do with the red card offences.

pete
28/09/2006, 5:35 PM
I'll put 15 euro down on draw as a thanks for Gretna away winnings.

A result is unlikely for Derry City but 5/1 on a draw is good value.

Interestingly IK Start are 14/1 to win at Ajax & 23/4 for draw.

finnpark
28/09/2006, 5:39 PM
I'll put 15 euro down on draw as a thanks for Gretna away winnings.

A result is unlikely for Derry City but 5/1 on a draw is good value.

Interestingly IK Start are 14/1 to win at Ajax & 23/4 for draw.

You can get closer to 13/2 if you shop around.

pete
28/09/2006, 5:41 PM
You can get closer to 13/2 if you shop around.

That would require effort, new accounts etc... :cool:

gustavo
28/09/2006, 5:52 PM
Good luck to Derry City will be rooting for ye

Soper
28/09/2006, 5:55 PM
In my opinion there is more chance of Derry winning than Ik Start doing so.

Smacked 4 on for the Derry win, and and 3 for the draw.Either way I'll win something!

Raheny Red
28/09/2006, 8:16 PM
Smacked 4 on for the Derry win, and and 3 for the draw.Either way I'll win something!

:eek:
:confused:
:eek:

Soper
28/09/2006, 9:17 PM
Had to be positive

pete
29/09/2006, 9:28 AM
In my opinion there is more chance of Derry winning than Ik Start doing so.

For someone so confident you did not wager much :D

Soper
29/09/2006, 2:46 PM
I'm shrewd