PDA

View Full Version : 6 Gardai injured in soccer riots.

Anto McC
23/09/2006, 12:27 PM
The title of the thread is the HEADLINE on the front of the Herald today. It refers to a "soccer riot" involving up to 150 people which took place after the Dundalk - Shamrock Rovers game on Thursday night.

The trouble erupted when Shamrock Rovers fans,who'd been asked to remain in Oriel untill the Dundalk supporters left,broke through barriers and left the ground immediately after the final whistle.
They were met by about 50 Dundalk supporters who Gardai are convinced came prepared for trouble

Now normally i don't bring up things like this because it looks bad for the league but seeing as it's already on the front page of the Hearld already i didn't really mind. Now i'm not pointing fingers or blaming anyone because i don't really care who caused it (although the Herald is quick to point at Dundlak fans) but how are we supposed to attract new fans to the league with this sh*t going on and it being put on the front page of one of our biggest newspapers?

kdjaC
23/09/2006, 12:38 PM
Pats were in it other day with a picture of Bohs and Rovers fans fighting, the story they ran is a cut and paste from the pats fan site of what i seen and posted.

Top class journalists could have fixed my typos tbh.

kdjac

Passive
23/09/2006, 12:43 PM
"Broke through barriers"? What barriers?

Sort of like when the Herald claimed Gardai were "protecting Rovers fans with riot shields" after the game in Limerick. Gardai were standing by and watching as Rovers fans were pelted with stones, more like.

Rovers fans were ambushed outside Oriel, simple as.

chippie0001
23/09/2006, 1:38 PM
Not that I am one to defend Rovers, but this is the herald we are talking about. There is a story that could be written on all the trouble but all the herald do us take an incident, do no research and write what they want. A bit like Roy of the Rovers except they sell it as news. :rolleyes:

Raheny Red
23/09/2006, 5:33 PM
Pats were in it other day with a picture of Bohs and Rovers fans fighting, the story they ran is a cut and paste from the pats fan site of what i seen and posted.

Top class journalists could have fixed my typos tbh.

kdjac

Is there a scan of this anywhere online?

harpskid
23/09/2006, 11:29 PM
the herag article itself is accurate to an extent, all 6 arrests were locals, they were armed and waiting outside etc but the headlines and subheaders imply we were going at each other, rather than the local scamps v cops that it was.

When I was walking home I met three guards walking into the Garda Station with about six Rovers fans in a wee gang with them - one lad was on the phone shouting 'Tell him to get down here, we've been lifted.'

I also saw a couple of Dundalk hoolies being fired into a cop car in the midst of all the caffufle - I'd say more than six were arrested

Peadar
24/09/2006, 8:59 AM
"Broke through barriers"? What barriers?

The barriers, boy, don't you know the barriers!
You can clearly see the Riot forming on the pitch here...
(http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~themob/history/archives/pictures/michigan_00/riot.jpg)I have to say, it's bloody awful!

BohsFans
25/09/2006, 11:18 AM
Is there a scan of this anywhere online?

http://thebohs.com:/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237

Lim till i die
25/09/2006, 12:14 PM
Anto, do you not think you are being a touch mischevious in what you put up here. A full page and a column having a go (including quotes from the cops squarly blaming the locals) at Dundalk FC and you manage to post the one and only line mentioning Rovers. Not an accurate reflection of the article and well you know it.

Why it's almost as misleading as that time the guards blamed Rovers "Fans" for trouble in Limerick :eek: :rolleyes:

NY Hoop
25/09/2006, 1:25 PM
Also said the "riot" went on for an hour:rolleyes:

The professionalism of the stewards in oriel was on a par with the ones in limerick:eek: It included local "stewards" (i.e. fans with bibs) shouting abuse at Rovers fans. And our cameraman being assaulted with stewards watching and doing SFA. Long may they continue in the graveyard with that kind of amateurism.

KOH

trevy
25/09/2006, 2:23 PM
More inaccurate reporting in the Sunday Independent yesterday this time about Eircom League attendances.It was a small article in main section of paper,very vague about the UEFA all seater rule restricting attendances for European games.Then it said Eircom League clubs would consider 400 a good crowd on a Friday night:eek: but many thousands more would show up for European games.Any club that is playing in Europe and nearly all clubs in Premier and first division would consider 400 a terrible crowd.

Anto McC
25/09/2006, 5:15 PM
Anto, do you not think you are being a touch mischevious in what you put up here. A full page and a column having a go (including quotes from the cops squarly blaming the locals) at Dundalk FC and you manage to post the one and only line mentioning Rovers. Not an accurate reflection of the article and well you know it.

That was not my intention at all Rovertillidie and i'm sorry if you think it looks like it is. The reason i quoted the bit of the article i did is in the first few words "The trouble erupted when........"
It was mearly to let people know how the trouble,supposedly came about and no other reason. I also went on to say the Herald lays blame with Dundalk fans in this instance,which would therefore,exonorate Rovers fans from any wrong doing. I'm not bias against Rovers or thier fans,i don't care about your club enough to be. Not everyone is out to get you,i have my opinions on who started the trouble and guess what i don't think it was Rovers!

mypost
25/09/2006, 5:23 PM
Why it's almost as misleading as that time the guards blamed Rovers "Fans" for trouble in Limerick :eek: :rolleyes:

The Dundalk fans have had the courtesy to hold their hands up, and admit the local knackers were responsible for the violence outside the ground. Something the Limerick fans have failed to do, about their knackers since July. :rolleyes:

Lim till i die
26/09/2006, 7:55 AM
Something the Limerick fans have failed to do, about their knackers since July.

FACT: the only major trouble that happened in Limerick occured when a bunch of "rovers" apes stormed The Steering Wheel after the game, an act of lunacy unparralled in human history. For those people on this board unfamiliar with Limerick it's the equivalent of a group of Christians in Ancient Rome storming the colloseum looking for a scrap :eek:

Do ye have any plans on setting up a video link to the next game for one of your esteemed board members, what with his banning order and all?? :confused: :rolleyes:

BohsFans
26/09/2006, 8:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGLi85h5xnI

DvB
26/09/2006, 12:23 PM
FACT: the only major trouble that happened in Limerick occured when a bunch of "rovers" apes stormed The Steering Wheel after the game, an act of lunacy unparralled in human history. For those people on this board unfamiliar with Limerick it's the equivalent of a group of Christians in Ancient Rome storming the colloseum looking for a scrap :eek:

Do ye have any plans on setting up a video link to the next game for one of your esteemed board members, what with his banning order and all?? :confused: :rolleyes:

I can assure you that was not the case, having witnessed exactly what happened with my own eyes & being the total coward that i am when it comes to violence i can assure you your description doesnt even come close to being accurate.

Koh

Dodge
26/09/2006, 9:25 PM
Sweet ****ing jesus lads, again with this crap...

Thread locked