PDA

View Full Version : Tonights Game

Pages : [1] 2

Mr A
21/09/2006, 7:00 PM
Dundalk 1-0 Rovers

Marney 14 mins

Sounds like a great crowd and atmosphere, it's live on http://www.dundalkfm.com/index.php?id=listen

The commentary is superb!!!!!

Mr A
21/09/2006, 7:02 PM
Lights are out at Oriel Park.

"All we can see is the chip van on the far side!"

Mr A
21/09/2006, 7:09 PM
Game still delayed due to floodlight failure...........

Mr A
21/09/2006, 7:23 PM
Players are back on the field............

el punter
21/09/2006, 7:25 PM
Game still delayed due to floodlight failure...........

The Asian money must be on Rovers :)

Mr A
21/09/2006, 7:32 PM
Game has resumed.

Mr A
21/09/2006, 8:00 PM
1-0 Ht

A face
21/09/2006, 8:40 PM
Sounds like a great crowd and atmosphere, it's live on http://www.dundalkfm.com/index.php?id=listen

The commentary is superb!!!!!

Excellent ... fair play to them !!
Whats the number to text ??

Conor H
21/09/2006, 8:43 PM
Come on Rovers equalise although they don't sound like doing so-15 minutes left!

Conor H
21/09/2006, 8:46 PM
1-1:) :) :) !!!!!

pineapple stu
21/09/2006, 8:47 PM
Those commentators are hilarious! :D

Conor H
21/09/2006, 8:48 PM
"Those officials lost their brains at half time":D

DmanDmythDledge
21/09/2006, 8:50 PM
Those commentators are hilarious! :D
Yeah they're gas! The accent too!

A face
21/09/2006, 8:50 PM
Text in and say hello

You can text your comments throughout the match to 087 29 555 00.

DmanDmythDledge
21/09/2006, 8:53 PM
Shamrock Rovers fans have to wait behind for 6 minutes after the game.

Crowd is around 5-6,000 apparently.

"I don't know what was in the referee's tea at half-time!" :D

DmanDmythDledge
21/09/2006, 9:01 PM
1-1 Ft.

Rebal Boy
21/09/2006, 9:02 PM
Crowd is around 5-6,000 apparently.

5-6000 at a 1st Div game???? :eek: Not been smart now, but that must be a record for the 1st Div.

A face
21/09/2006, 9:03 PM
Good game to be fair, sounded great !!

dancinpants
21/09/2006, 9:07 PM
5-6000 at a 1st Div game???? :eek: Not been smart now, but that must be a record for the 1st Div.

The highest of the season in a league game in either division?

Mr A
21/09/2006, 9:08 PM
Shamrock Rovers fans have to wait behind for 6 minutes after the game.

Not 5 minutes.

Not 7 minutes.

But 6 minutes.

Otherwise there might be hassle.

Conor H
21/09/2006, 9:09 PM
Wait for the officiall attendance.The lads were good but biased too.Still id say there was 3000-4500

Mr A
21/09/2006, 9:10 PM
From the text I've just got from a lad at the game there's been a bit of hassle anyway.... :(

Aaron
21/09/2006, 9:22 PM
Crowd is around 5-6,000 apparently

Thats a gr8 crowd if true, even if they reach the 2,000 mark its still a gr8 attendance. Looks like since Dundalk are doin well this season their fans are starting to come back. Pity cant say the same for Harps. Also Shels struggle to get that sort of attendance so it shows how well both teams are doin at the min. Hope it continues!!

Louth4sam
21/09/2006, 9:42 PM
There was over 3000 anyway but not sure if it was as high as 5000 or 6000. The rovers fans were asked to stay behind after the game for a few mins. They didnt and got out at the same time as the dundalk fans and all hell broke loose. Riot police involved. Fair play to the gardai as they handled the trouble very well but why is it everywhere rovers go they cause trouble?

geezer
21/09/2006, 9:43 PM
i use is usually take the guesstimates and divide by 2 and it works out sometimes 3 with some mad guessers like you find in sligo. id estimate about 1800-2000 based on what i have read so far. Its still a very positive sign and shows if the games and competition are interesting people will come out to watch. I dont see this happening in the new premiership which again will try to restrict promotion and playoffs. keep everyone involved as long as possible with very open promotion/relegation and playoff situations and the league will generate interest. 3 up 3 down and with 3rd 4th 5th and 6th in the first in playoffs. it gives all teams a chance and gives club like rovers a chance to re establish itself

BohsFans
21/09/2006, 9:50 PM
There was over 3000 anyway but not sure if it was as high as 5000 or 6000. The rovers fans were asked to stay behind after the game for a few mins. They didnt and got out at the same time as the dundalk fans and all hell broke loose. Riot police involved. Fair play to the gardai as they handled the trouble very well but why is it everywhere rovers go they cause trouble?

How did they manage to get out?

Can't say I'm surprised! :rolleyes:

Louth4sam
21/09/2006, 9:55 PM
I have no idea as it was in the far corner from where i was. Its sad as there was a lot of people with kids at the game and that will put them off going to another match

eamoss
21/09/2006, 10:29 PM
Thank god for that black out cos I was able to make the game then!! Dam college

Ah I wud have said about 3000+ not 6000 tho

I wasnt with my mates who I norm stand and watch the game wit so I was out of the ground just a few secs after the full time whistle so I didnt see any rovers fans but I did walk passed the Gradai van parked around the corner with the door open and the riot police in it. And then I heard all the sirens going off and the fans shouting and the funniest was seeing the owner of Dundalk FC run down the street then started to walk after about 30secs cos he was out of breath

JC_GUFC
21/09/2006, 11:30 PM
Just back from the game myself - not sure how many the stand holds but I'd have estimated about 2500 at the game. It wasn't the best game as the wind ruined it, Dundalk were well in control before the lights went out. Shocking marking for their lead goal. Once the teams came back on Rovers were more composed but and were getting on top towards the end of the half.
Rovers equalised with about 20 mins to go, a screamer from Chris Breen, he looked about 30 yards offside but it was a long ball forward so was probably on when it was played as the linesman was in line and would've had a perfect view. There didn't seem to be any complaints from Dundalk either. Rovers looked more likely to grab a winner but with the wind Dundalk were playing into it was very tough for them to create any chances.

With 5 minutes to go about 200 of the teen drinkers from Dundalk left the terrace to wait for the Rovers fans outside, obviously not too concerned whether there was a late goal or not, or perhaps it was bed time because of the delay. In any case when I came out I saw a few bottles being thrown at the Rovers fans from the Dundalk kids in the garage. The Gardai then held back to Rovers fans and sent the kids home to bed.

The game wasn't the best but a good result for United - a win tomorrow and the top 3 all have 50 points to make for a fascinating run-in!

Billy Lord
21/09/2006, 11:51 PM
Louth4sam: go get a job in the Evening Herald. Unless the Rovers' fans armed and organised the local toe-rags who attacked us, I can't see how we can be blamed for the crap that occured. Just like last time at Oriel, a gang congregated to have a go at Rovers as we came out of the ground. If the cops had a clue it all could've been prevented by simply moving on the local gang (who left the game early), but of course that would've required a modicum of intelligence.

Louth4sam
22/09/2006, 2:59 AM
Billy let me ask you this, were the rovers fans asked to wait for a few minutes to let the Dundalk fans leave? Why didn’t they? I'll tell you why they didn’t as they were looking for trouble. Don’t get me wrong im not defending the little scumbags that were trying to start on the rovers fans I would of been happy to see them get a good kicking from the guards but i was just coming out of the ground when the rovers fans were approaching and there is no way they were totally innocent. A young girl a few feet in front of me nearly got her head split open with a bottle.
No matter what trouble ever happens with rovers its always someone else's fault.

hoopy
22/09/2006, 5:54 AM
You're just as bad as the toerags who were at the game you muppet. Why did Dundalk fans stream out with about 5 mins to go? If we were to stay back why was our exit wide open with no garda presence? Why were Dundalk fans given carte blanche to take pot shots with bottles at any Rovers fan who walked by the garage? I made it my business to say to a cop that they couldn't pin this on us, his reply was "no, it was the local scumbags". Filth

Billy Lord
22/09/2006, 7:27 AM
Louth4sam: we weren't asked to stay back for a few minutes, but we did. Unlike the so-called Dundalk fans who left in numbers with about five minutes to go, we remained to applaud our team off the pitch, and then left peacefully to head home, only to be met by hundreds of locals.
At this stage I don't know why we even bother talking to other clubs/fans/EL and FAI officials anymore. It's a complete waste of time.

seand
22/09/2006, 8:05 AM
Rovers were asked to stay back for "six minutes" over the PA, which is inaudible at the best of times never mind during a hurricane. Rovers fans were not prevented from leaving, nor was there ANY Garda presence at that end. This despite the club requesting that the Gardai keep the away fans back for 15-20 minutes at the end. The vast majority of Rovers fans were unaware that they were even asked to wait a few minutes.
A good crowd of local teenage ********s gathered at the garage (where the 2 sets of fans would meet) and were not moved on by the Gardai. A couple of bottles were throw by the local scum, while the stewards/gardai stood around. the Garda response was f££knig pathetic, the organisation was f££knig pathetic, specially after last time.

manic da hoop
22/09/2006, 8:34 AM
Thank you Seand. At no point were we made aware of being held back. In fact, at one point all the talk among us was that we would be allowed to get out first in order to get us on the road asap while the much larger home support would remain inside - this would have been a logical decsision as it wasn't as though any of us were likely to hang around and take in an impromtu walking tour of town before we set off home. The trouble itself was entirely the work of a handful of lkocal scumbags, and Rovers fans (whether people here and elsewhere like it or not) deserve great credit for standing their ground and waiting patiently for the Guards to do their job despite the risk of sustaining injury. Firewroks and miisiles rained down indiscriminatly into the group of 300 or so people. We did NOT respond in kind, and we had no choice but to head in THE SAME DIRECTION as the home support thanks the Gardai instructions to pack our cars at the town end of the road.

green-blood
22/09/2006, 8:41 AM
well I certainly didnt hear any request to stay back

I did see 3-400 little knackers stood on the forecourt of the garage waiting.... 6 minutes later they'd still have been there - why?.

Irish Fan
22/09/2006, 8:56 AM
I attended this game as I would alot of games around the country. It was a poor game due to the conditions and a draw was probley a fair result even tho the Rovers goal was miles offside! I seen alot of what happened outside the ground. Firstly the Rovers or Dundalk fans should have been kept back which did NOT happen. Then a large section of the Dundalk crowd as at the garage waiting on the Rovers lads. Even tho they had all sorts of missiles thrown at them the Rovers fans were mostly well behaved and fair play to the Rovers lads for sticking together and protecting eachother at the garage. Then the guards pushed the Dundalk fans down the road……But that was the road were the Rovers fans cars were! I seen cars smashed and all the Dundalk lads down beside there cars across from the Garda station. The Dundalk fans were armed to the teeth with bricks until about 80-100 Rovers fans ran across the road to greet them which seen the Dundalk fans sprint down the road. All in all it was a disappointing night for Dundalk FC and a few of the Rovers lads who let there club down.

Up The Town
22/09/2006, 9:17 AM
I didnt see what happened outside as i left the ground just after the full time whistle.But i did see a crowd of stupid ##### outside at the garage waiting to cause trouble and what i cant understand is why the gardai didnt try to stop them did stood across the road watching these scumbags and did nothing to prevent this **** from starting. Not a great game but a fair result.
Great crowd and athmosphere pity about these little ****s destroying the night they r only causing the club to get into trouble and stopping younger children and there parents coming to these games.
From what is been said here i would like to say fair play to most of the rovers support for staying calm although i thought youse would of brought more fans.

UP THE TOWN

hoops1
22/09/2006, 9:35 AM
i thought youse would of brought more fans.

Thats the result of Thursday night football.

wws
22/09/2006, 9:58 AM
their home crowds are less than a thousand according to their own message board people

WeAreRovers
22/09/2006, 10:25 AM
All the trouble last night was down to Dundalk fans, the exact same thinmg that happened lat time. About 200 little scrots left the game early to wait for the Rovers fans - top marks to the cops for having zero cop on - as soon as the Rovers fans left they were attacked by the Dundalk fans at the garage.

Dundalk is a scummy club in a scummy town. Our cameraman was manhandled and jostled in the main stand and had to leave after the stewards refused to protect him. TV3 also had to leave for safety reasons. Dundalk told them they couldn't guarantee their security.

What a disgrace. And will Dundalk be fined for any of this? Of course not. Also our chairman, another director and one of our greatest ever players - a man recognisable to any LOI fan - were refused entry to main stand fo no reason.

As the neutrals on this thread who were at the game have pointed out, the problem lies with Dundalk, I sincerely hope that we don't have to travel to that almighty kip for a long time.

KOH

harpskid
22/09/2006, 10:35 AM
As a neutral at the game last night, I have to say that Rovers were not totally blameless in the disgraceful scenes outside last night!

While Dundalk 'fans' - and I use the term very, very loosely - were largely to blame, they were not totally to blame. But, no doubt wee innocent Rovers fans cannot have any blame attached whatsoever.

The stewards in Oriel are pathetic anyway - the bloke at the main gate tried to direct me into the Rovers section last night and gave me a **** load of hassle when I tried using the Harps jacket as proof that I wasn't a Rovers fan!:ball:

harpskid
22/09/2006, 10:36 AM
Our cameraman was manhandled and jostled in the main stand and had to leave after the stewards refused to protect him. TV3 also had to leave for safety reasons. Dundalk told them they couldn't guarantee their security.

Yeah I noticed that alright. Absolutely disgraceful to be honest!

NY Hoop
22/09/2006, 11:05 AM
Just back from the game myself - not sure how many the stand holds but I'd have estimated about 2500 at the game. It wasn't the best game as the wind ruined it, Dundalk were well in control before the lights went out. Shocking marking for their lead goal. Once the teams came back on Rovers were more composed but and were getting on top towards the end of the half.
Rovers equalised with about 20 mins to go, a screamer from Chris Breen, he looked about 30 yards offside but it was a long ball forward so was probably on when it was played as the linesman was in line and would've had a perfect view. There didn't seem to be any complaints from Dundalk either. Rovers looked more likely to grab a winner but with the wind Dundalk were playing into it was very tough for them to create any chances.

With 5 minutes to go about 200 of the teen drinkers from Dundalk left the terrace to wait for the Rovers fans outside, obviously not too concerned whether there was a late goal or not, or perhaps it was bed time because of the delay. In any case when I came out I saw a few bottles being thrown at the Rovers fans from the Dundalk kids in the garage. The Gardai then held back to Rovers fans and sent the kids home to bed.

The game wasn't the best but a good result for United - a win tomorrow and the top 3 all have 50 points to make for a fascinating run-in!

Spot on. And JC is meant to be a neutral though he's obviously there to see Rovers!

And Dundalk fan or official care to answer the following?

1. Why were our directors not allowed into the stand?

2. Why was our cameraman plus TV3 not guaranteed any safety? Isnt that what stewards are for?

3. Why were some of your stewards and club officials abusive towards Rovers fans and officials? Do you think this is the correct way to run a club?

4. Why have you not constucted a temporary gantry where the old one was?

5. Why are home and away fans allowed to use the same entrance and exit when there is a separate lane behind the away terrace?

6. Why do you insist on playing midweek? Have you not realised that league football the world over is a weekend game? Playing on friday would increase your crowd:rolleyes:

I feel sorry for the genuine Dundalk fans who have to put up with this crap and it looks like your new owner has the same motives as the guy who has taken over Peterborough and if you dont know what that is God help you.

Anybody coming there last night for the first time would not go back if their safety is not guaranteed.

Hand on heart hope we never have to go up there again for a very long time. But when we do the same will happen again no doubt.

KOH

holidaysong
22/09/2006, 11:10 AM
If the Gardaí and stewards had to make sure that the Rovers fans were kept back for 20 minutes then this wouldn't have happened. Simple as that. The kids outside could have been moved on and the Rovers fans could have exited in safety. A complete shambles! Couldn't believe it when the riot police jumped out of the paddy wagons. The Gardaí were definately better prepared than last time but it was all ruined by letting both set of supporters exit at the same time. It is sickening to have your club and town name tarnished by the wee scum that turn up twice a season.

Fingal hoop
22/09/2006, 11:20 AM
thats a fair point Holidaysong

The police are idiots. How they can let this crap happen is beyond me.Outside the ground could have got really bad if people responded to provacation.
The police should have kept one set of supporters in.Thats the long and short of it.One blamed me for being a "target" for the bottles

Cosmo
22/09/2006, 12:04 PM
but why is it everywhere rovers go they cause trouble?

:D

We've never had any bother with rovers supporters!

I was in the rovers end lastnight and must say that they were totally blameless!!

BohsFans
22/09/2006, 12:26 PM
Spot on. And JC is meant to be a neutral though he's obviously there to see Rovers!

And Dundalk fan or official care to answer the following?

1. Why were our directors not allowed into the stand?

2. Why was our cameraman plus TV3 not guaranteed any safety? Isnt that what stewards are for?

1. Would you let a convicted football hooligan into your main stand? oh wait now....

2. Guaranteed safety? What did they need protection from?

People moan about TV3 not covering games and then when they actually turn up they're forced to leave? FFS! :rolleyes: :mad:

BohsFans
22/09/2006, 12:50 PM
According to their stewards "a well known local lunatic"

sounds like Dundalkkkk alright :D

Shanty town.

manic da hoop
22/09/2006, 12:56 PM
1. Would you let a convicted football hooligan into your main stand? oh wait now....

:confused: