PDA

View Full Version : Not just lower division english clubs cash strapped

pete
05/09/2002, 12:45 PM
Seems not just 2nd & 3rd divsion clubs over yonder in trouble - Derby just down from the English Premiership! 30m debt! :eek:

--------------------------------------------

BBC sport:

Higginbotham shock for Derby

Higginbotham has been influential for Derby

Derby defender Danny Higginbotham has handed in his notice to the cash-strapped First Division club.
The 23-year-old has taken radical action, citing breach of contract after Derby failed to pay any players' wages for August.

Manager John Gregory also went unpaid in August and is reported to have paid for a £2,000 overnight hotel stay for the squad out of his own pocket.

Derby dispute to be resolved
But the Professional Footballers' Association remains confident that Derby will pay their overdue wages by the weekend.

Higginbotham has indicated that he will withdraw his two-week notice if wages are paid within that time.

And PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor has pleaded with Derby's players to be tolerant.

"It is with regret that I feel forced into serving my notice to Derby County Football Club for breach of contract," Higginbotham said in a statement on the club's official website.

Players want paying, but we're hoping they will show a bit more patience

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor

"I believe that it is in my interest, those of the club and our supporters that I must take this action to force some kind of conclusion to the uncertainty hanging over everyone at the club.

"I did not take this decision lightly and I have spoken with various people both inside and outside the club and they fully support my action.

"I will continue to give my usual 100% for Derby County and I am fully focused on the Burnley game this weekend, which is vital to the players and the fans.

"I look forward to seeing the club back in a healthier state."

Taylor understood Higginbotham's stance, but warned: "Players want paying, but we're hoping they (Derby's players) will show a bit more patience.

"Bradford players waited three months to get paid.

PFA come to Bradford's rescue
"We're going to see Derby on Friday and I'm led to believe that these financial problems will be solved.

"We don't want any club to be failing or going into liquidation."

The Division One club, which is £30m in debt, is considering two rival takeover offers, with John Kirkland and one-time vice-chairman Peter Gadsby up against Stuart Webb and local businessman Charles Clowes.

The club reported on its official website: "Negotiations affecting the future of Derby are continuing. Clearly these negotiations need to be of a confidential nature at this stage.

"We thank fans for your patience and continued terrific support and can assure you that all departments at the club continue to function normally in the lead-up to the game against Burnley."

eoinh
05/09/2002, 1:46 PM
in scotland airdre went bust. now known as airdre united. fiorentina one of italys most famous clubs have gone belly up and during the close season in switzerland - Lausanne, Sion and Lugano were all refused a professional licence and were demoted from the top division to division three to see if that would help them. in belgium RWD Molenbeek were forcibly demoted from the first division because of their debts. Eendracht Aalst of Belgium also drop to their third division after they also had a licence refused. their is also another english lower division club ( i cant remember who) which is sailing very close to the wind and is close to going under. i know it seems harsh but national league clubs should take advantage of this. it was done to us in the past. we should look abroad for talent - it brings new talent and it is interesting to see players from other countries taking part in our league.

Shelsman
05/09/2002, 2:02 PM
It's not that long ago when Irish Clubs were going to the wall with alarming frequency ( Dundalk in particular were at this every 3 years or so ).

pete
05/09/2002, 2:09 PM
I wouldn't take delight in any clubs demise but many small clubs particularily in the lower english leagues have been paying crazy money to average players for years.

I don't think its that uncommon for clubs around europe to be relegated cos of bad finances but definitely unusual for teams close to the top english leagues to be affected.

A face
05/09/2002, 6:42 PM
It just all sounds very good for the Irish game, and you are right, we should capitalise on it aswell.