PDA

View Full Version : v Monaghan

thescoringgoals
20/09/2006, 11:35 PM
should,in theory,be an easy enough win although mons did win last weekend,woohoo.the thing that puzzles me about watching monaghan is the high line the defence takes despite having a very slow bunch of defenders.they play so far up the pitch,davey,barry,alan,raf or any fast player will love it coz all thats needed is a ball over the top.wasnt it 6-2 last time they were here and i was standing near the half way line and was level with their last defender.
our goal difference compared to shams is bad so we need to work on it but main thing is 3 points,doesnt matter to me though if its an o.g in 5th minute of injury time that wins it for us.

gufct
21/09/2006, 8:35 AM
just dont forget the ghost of Keith Foy in last years fixture when he scored in the 1st minute and we lost 1-0.Any score will do me as long as we win . Kieran and Wes will be straight back in but who plays up front is anyones guess.

JW.
21/09/2006, 9:16 AM
We must win and that is that. Monaghan are plucky enough at times but there cannot be any excuses and this is one weekend where we are certain to make up ground on Dundalk or Rovers or both if we can beat a poor team at home.

Terry
21/09/2006, 9:41 AM
Surely there is a chance this match is going to be postponed? I havent seen rain like this in years, and its just getting heavier and heavier!

gufct
21/09/2006, 9:58 AM
just been on to Noel this morning everything is a ok and tomorrows forecast is way better. Just a problem in cutting the grass but that should be ok tomorrow.

GUISAUltra
21/09/2006, 11:36 AM
hopefully the game goes ahead anyway. we need to try to get the 3 points to put the pressure on whoever slips up in the rovers, dundalk game. its a lot better to have the points on the board than a game in hand

JW.
21/09/2006, 11:57 AM
Our defence has become a bit unreliable of late, conceding goals (albeit not many) in several games. Perhaps it stems from midfield. We should not be conceding goals at home to Monaghan. If we don't, we will win.

gufct
21/09/2006, 1:03 PM
Wes and Ciaran coming back should sort out this although we have no recognized left back for the following 2 games.

Derek and Murphs should also be in the reckoning for friday.

monutdfc
21/09/2006, 7:02 PM
the thing that puzzles me about watching monaghan is the high line the defence takes despite having a very slow bunch of defenders.they play so far up the pitch,davey,barry,alan,raf or any fast player will love it coz all thats needed is a ball over the top.wasnt it 6-2 last time they were here and i was standing near the half way line and was level with their last defender.
It puzzled you and you only had to watch it once...it puzzled us far more that had to watch it every week. Thankfully we have dispensed with the worst offside trap tactic in the history of football, but it did take half the season before the 'coach' copped on that it wasn't working!
Keep us updated on any weather developments, I'm hoping to make my Terryland debut tomorrow....
(JW, I'm staying in your ma's)

JW.
21/09/2006, 8:50 PM
By all accounts do, but I'll unfortunately be up in Dublin!

Conor H
21/09/2006, 9:30 PM
A win tomorrow will see us move level on points with Rovers and Dundalk and move ahead of Dundalk on goal difference.

Come on UTD!

GUISAUltra
21/09/2006, 9:46 PM
great result for us tonight, 3 points tomorrow night and the leagues looking brighter already

Demoshield
21/09/2006, 9:59 PM
Wes and Ciaran coming back should sort out this although we have no recognized left back for the following 2 games.

Derek and Murphs should also be in the reckoning for friday.

We haven't had a recognized left back at the club since Quirkey. IMO O'Reilly isn't a defender and has been exposed on many occassions this season. Was nowhere near the Kilkenny player when he broke down the right & got a shot away which led to their goal, and it was'nt an isolated incident. Had a couple of dodgy moments near the end also when he should have put the ball in the car park,was robbed for one,and cleared the ball to a Kilkenny player outside our box for the other. And his display against Athlone !!!
Mick O'Donnell is'nt the solution either. Major cause for concern.

Terry
22/09/2006, 7:03 AM
Keep us updated on any weather developments, I'm hoping to make my Terryland debut tomorrow....

The sun is shining, there isn't a cloud in the sky and not a puff of wind. Perfect weather conditions for a game of footie.

(JW, I'm staying in your ma's)

:eek:

gufct
22/09/2006, 7:52 AM
time for people to start texting Galway Bay and Clare FM to make sure everyone knows how important tonights game is. You could also text 10 of your mates to try and get them up the dyke road this evening.

GUISAUltra
22/09/2006, 8:35 AM
yeah its a gorgeous day. hopefully it stays this way for the rest of today

GUISAUltra
22/09/2006, 8:38 AM
can ye post the number for galway bay fm on here so that people can text them. would like to do it but dont know there number

gufct
22/09/2006, 9:35 AM
0857700000 or ring requests to 091770000 or fax to 091752689

exiled_gufc_fan
22/09/2006, 12:38 PM
0857700000 or ring requests to 091770000 or fax to 091752689

My good luck message has just been emailed in! :D

Looking forward to flying home for the Rovers game in two weeks!!

C'MON United!

Conor H
22/09/2006, 10:20 PM
Galway United won for the fourth game
on the spin to join Shamrock Rovers and
Dundalk at the summit of the First
Division table.

A delightful Davie O'Dowd effort on 19
minutes steered the Tribesmen into a
deserved lead, but Monaghan went close
twice before the interval as Darren
Sargent and Austin McCann had efforts
cleared off the line.

Billy Clery grabbed his second goal of
the season when converting a 53rd
minute penalty for Galway. Galway could
have added further goals in the dying
minutes, but Tadgh Murphy made several
splendid saves.

www.aertel.ie

GUISAUltra
23/09/2006, 9:59 AM
good performance, great three points and the atmosphere in section a for the second half was incredible. fair play to everyone there. the fields of athenry was absolutely brilliant when it was being belted out

Conor H
23/09/2006, 11:37 AM
Ya definitely the best atmosphere in Terryalnd all year!!Rovers is the next home match so it should and will be better again!:)

GUISAUltra
23/09/2006, 2:06 PM
yeah definitely. everyone that was there the last night will hopefully come down again for rovers and then we can officially go top of the league.

BRING ON THE ROVERS.

corbyeire
24/09/2006, 10:26 PM
good atmosphere alright and fair play to the section A heads - there numbers swelled in the second half

on the game - pity we didnt take more of the chances - delighted with the win - but wondering will the goal difference come into play - hopefully not!

GUISAUltra
25/09/2006, 12:35 PM
yeah we had a couple of real good chances alright. i still think that if everything clicks, that we can give some team an awful hammering towards the end of the season. Dave and Conor seemed to work well together the last night. for once it is good to have some serious pace up front

MyTown
25/09/2006, 1:32 PM
Agree that O'Dowd & Gethins worked really, really hard on the night. They reminded me of John Aldridge when he played for Big Jack.

Nobody has mentioned the barney Conor had with Billy as to which of them would take the penalty. It was great fun. In fairnesss, Conor was first up to congratulate Billy after he smashed it in. His through ball for Dave's goal was brilliant & Dave's finish was one of the best we've seen this season.

Billy was warming up beside us before the game and was jokingly praising his own disciplinary record this season. We were asking him to let his new found good manners rub off on some of the rest of the lads.

There seemed to be plenty of frank exchanges between Alan G & Wes also.

But all in all a great sign that the lads really want to do well. No harm for a bit of spice between them. It shows they care.

Raf Cretaro has been consistently brilliant & we've really missed him when he hasn't been available. Alan Keane is in the form that he closed last season with at right full.

The fat is in the fire. Roll on Limerick.

JW.
25/09/2006, 2:26 PM
Good to read stuff like that MyTown, as I wasn't at the game.
I guess Slab will have to be content with a place on the bench now. Dowdy missed about four good (three of them very good) chances last time in Limerick, so he'll be eager to atone.

GalwayFrancis
25/09/2006, 2:38 PM
I guess Slab will have to be content with a place on the bench now.
in all fairness to slab, from the moment he came on he was taking shots from all angles, one or two of which could of ended up in the net. hell start on the bench on friday but id like to see him come on with 25mins to go, hopefully will combat our horrible last ten mins scenario

Patrick Dunne
25/09/2006, 7:42 PM
Hopefully he will also pass the ball to his team mates !

corbyeire
25/09/2006, 9:36 PM
bad decision making the last night

shooting when he should pass and vice versa - over dribbling

GalwayFrancis
25/09/2006, 11:23 PM
Hopefully he will also pass the ball to his team mates !

well, im all fairness he was prob told to go out there n take shots, the lad has to prove himself that he can score goals, sure we were already two up when he came on. if he had scored a long ranger he might of had a chance in fridays starting line-up.

corbyeire
26/09/2006, 9:17 AM
he was through on goal no defenders, inside the 18 yard area in the centre - with the ball to place left or right of the keeper and he passes a sharp right

screams of lack of confidence - should have been slotted home - he had sooo much time

GUISAUltra
26/09/2006, 10:51 AM
yeah definitely looks short of confidence. with murphs i think that all he needs is a goal. all we have to do is look at dave o dowd and look what his goal against cobh did for him

GalwayFrancis
26/09/2006, 10:29 PM
Ill agree with ye there. still I'd bring him on with 20mins left in the Limerick game

GUISAUltra
27/09/2006, 9:57 AM
yeah he definitely has to keep giving him games anyway otherwise he could fall by the wayside.

corbyeire
27/09/2006, 10:08 AM
but if hes not up to it...

GUISAUltra
27/09/2006, 10:21 AM
yeah i know if hes not up to it anymore theres no point in him being here. but lads this man was one of our best players in the last ten years. now i know hes not going to have as much impact as he did before he left but as liverpool fans were saying before the Champions League Final "Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent". He cant just be gone lads we just need someone to get him going

corbyeire
27/09/2006, 10:54 AM
who is the slab he is named after...

Terry
27/09/2006, 11:05 AM
Slab Murphy from Dundalk, supposably the leader of the IRA

corbyeire
27/09/2006, 11:17 AM
he was the only slab i knew of also - thought there might have been another reason :)

JW.
27/09/2006, 12:26 PM
You can't ask for a better nickname than that really.

Patrick Dunne
27/09/2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah, both of them were active up for the cause up to a few years ago
but are now more concerned with accumulating wealth.

JW.
27/09/2006, 12:29 PM
TENUOUS Pa!!!

corbyeire
27/09/2006, 1:47 PM
nice PD!

GUISAUltra
27/09/2006, 2:08 PM
lmao pd

GalwayFrancis
27/09/2006, 5:18 PM
Slab Murphy from Dundalk, supposably the leader of the IRA
check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_'Slab'_Murphy for info on the other Slab Murphy