PDA

View Full Version : Which eL club DOESN'T have the best keeper in the league?

Shelsman
20/09/2006, 5:12 PM
Hi Lads,
Just wondering which eL club DOESN'T have the best keeper in the league as almost every manager in the Premier Division ( and their fans ) has claimed they have the best keeper in the league?

Sligo Rovers are one of the worst for this as I've read Sean Connor saying that he has the best keeper, striker and one other player ( can't remember what position ) in the league.

I think Bohs, Bray, Waterford and UCD haven't made any claims but the rest probably have.

I just find this thing very annoying -they can't ALL have the best keeper in the league, maybe they're just a bit biased, like?

Schumi
20/09/2006, 5:17 PM
UCD haven't made any claims
Sorry, we have. :D In our defence, he is at least an international.

In fairness, bias about your own players is hardly a surprise.

Cosmo
20/09/2006, 5:23 PM
We certainly don't :o

Have been impressed with mick devines european performances (and was always impressed with both of shels goalkeepers and forde for derry) but must say,especially considering his age, quigley is a keeper I'd like to see us sign!

And with UCD being our feeder club we will hopefully see that happening soon :D

Dodge
20/09/2006, 5:28 PM
Good keepers (IMO)
Ryan - Pats
Devine - Cork
Murphy - Rovers
O'Connor - Drogs

Think the rest are either OK or poor

Anto McC
20/09/2006, 5:29 PM
Shels don't have the best keeper in the league!

BohsFans
20/09/2006, 5:30 PM
I think Bohs, Bray, Waterford and UCD haven't made any claims but the rest probably have.

Change Longford for UCD and I'd say you'd be spot on!

CharlesThompson
20/09/2006, 5:32 PM
We have the smallest keeper in the league.... actually he's just the smallest keeper. Does this count?

LeixlipRed
20/09/2006, 5:49 PM
We have two of the dodgiest keepers in the league. I'm not even sure that combining them in some sort of genetic experiment would create a decent keeper

DmanDmythDledge
20/09/2006, 6:12 PM
Barry Ryan is the best keeper in the league I think.

A face
20/09/2006, 6:16 PM
Mark McNulty ..... now he IS a good keeper !!

el punter
20/09/2006, 6:27 PM
Ryan and Devine have decent claims to it. Haven't seen enough of Quigley...but he let one squirm through his hands to foil a lumpy punt I had on UCD earlier in the season so if my pockets could talk they wouldn't rate him.

Forde is dodgy, Shels keepers are both dodgy, O'Connor is over-eccentric.

That being said. I've never seen young Pat Jennings do anything wrong :)

dcfcsteve
20/09/2006, 7:07 PM
We have the two best keepers in the League.... :p

Forde has had a few erratic moments this season, but he's generally been very good for us, been superb in all our European games, was consistently excellent last season, and is a great shot-stopper. If it hadn't been for him, we would'nt have got past Gothenborg.

PJ had the shortest but best game of his life on Monday against Shels. Excellent saves during the game - particularly the reflex double-save - and tremendous in the penalties.

I used to rate Williams, but he seems to have lost his way over the last 2 seasons.

JW.
20/09/2006, 7:11 PM
I have no doubt whatever that David Forde is the most talented goalkeeper in the league. Whether or not he is the best is debateable, as he is prone to some concentration lapses. I still think he'll return to his home team some day :)

monzo
20/09/2006, 7:12 PM
James Gallagher for Harps is a top notch keeper whom I reckon would be brilliant in the Premier. Cullen is also a good keeper, as he proved last season, but is a bit on a heavy side.

Mark McNulty is very, very good from what I've seen of him.

LeixlipRed
20/09/2006, 7:54 PM
McNulty was brilliant against us in Setanta SF this year. But I think Ryan is the best in the league. The save he made from Crowe's volley last week was unreal. Brilliant keeper

Kildare Lad
20/09/2006, 8:04 PM
IMO Athlone have the best keeper in the 1st division, Danny O Leary, pure class!

The Stars
20/09/2006, 8:38 PM
Agree with Kildare fan about Danny O'Leary.
as for the Premier,we do have one of the best keepers in the league,Devine is the only one who might be better though.

superfrank
20/09/2006, 8:59 PM
I'd rate Forde as the most talented. I'd say Devine is the most consistent.

About Quigley he's really good too but just cos he's an international doesn't make him great. Skippy's an international too and plenty of Bray fans think he's crap, for the record I think he's a really good player.

Red&White
21/09/2006, 12:46 AM
ever seen our dan kicking a back pass mate.if im ever diagnosed with a weak heart ill have to stop going to united park till he leaves:D

Just be glad you're not watching Forde's catches every week. :rolleyes:

seand
21/09/2006, 7:25 AM
Shels have the greatest keeper in the history of round leather things, in Steve 'Great Wall of Wales' Williams. Or at least he was from 1997-99. It's your own fault if you broke him since you robbed him from us in 99. He's better than Yashin, Banks, Buffon, Billy the Fish, Pope John Paul II and Julio Iglesias combined... FACT (there, I wrote 'fact' in capital letters at the end of the sentence so it has to be true)

Anto McC
21/09/2006, 9:36 AM
It's Ryan by a mile!

Ash
21/09/2006, 9:51 AM
I have no doubt whatever that David Forde is the most talented goalkeeper in the league. Whether or not he is the best is debateable, as he is prone to some concentration lapses. I still think he'll return to his home team some day :)

Any chance ye'll take Robbie back aswell!!!!

I'm convinced the only reason he's still with
us is because he gives Eric a lift to training!

TonyD
21/09/2006, 12:11 PM
Shels have the greatest keeper in the history of round leather things, in Steve 'Great Wall of Wales' Williams. He's better than .... Billy the Fish...,

Better than Billy the Fish. No Way. C'mon, be sensible now.:D

Shelsman
21/09/2006, 12:15 PM
I'd say keeper's at clubs with poor form always look good because they have so many saves to make in every match! :D

pineapple stu
21/09/2006, 12:26 PM
Quigley is a keeper I'd like to see us sign!

And with UCD being our feeder club we will hopefully see that happening soon :D
You made an approach at the end of last season, and both club and player had pleasure in telling Doolin where to go. :)

Quigley's a quality keeper - maybe not the best (i.e. as good as Bazza), but well up there. He has an occasional bad game, but in general, his handling and shot stopping is superb. Five clean sheets in a row now.

Don't know how people can say Forde is the most talented keeper in the league when he flaps at anything that comes into his box at a height of more then 5 feet.

Poor Student
21/09/2006, 12:29 PM
Quigley's a quality keeper - maybe not the best (i.e. as good as Bazza), but well up there. He has an occasional bad game, but in general, his handling and shot stopping is superb. Five clean sheets in a row now.

Quigley is also a comfortable kicker with both feet. He's good at keeping the ball in play when kicking an unexpected back pass or rushing out to intercept a through ball.

charliesboots
21/09/2006, 12:46 PM
Don't think you'll find a Pats fan who doesn't think Barry Ryan is quality, I've been trying to think of his faults and I can't.

Shall we put it a poll?

Anto McC
21/09/2006, 1:21 PM
Yep,put it to a poll!

John83
21/09/2006, 1:38 PM
Ryan and Devine have decent claims to it. Haven't seen enough of Quigley...but he let one squirm through his hands to foil a lumpy punt I had on UCD earlier in the season so if my pockets could talk they wouldn't rate him.

Forde is dodgy, Shels keepers are both dodgy, O'Connor is over-eccentric.

That being said. I've never seen young Pat Jennings do anything wrong :)
I can't comment on the others, but Barry Ryan is definately up there. Quigley's got potential but isn't there yet (has blown hot and cold this year) and Jennings, while solid enough, isn't in Ryan's league.

thomas
21/09/2006, 1:52 PM
Derrys keeper is poor, doesn't command the area and his positioning / judgement / communication sre a bit crap tbh.
Though I watched Roma last night and their keeper was dire.

Dodge
21/09/2006, 2:13 PM
Still saved a pen. No point in poll as some will just vote for their own keeper regrdless

Schumi
21/09/2006, 2:38 PM
sniff sniff
No need to cry, you'll be out of the first division soon. ;)

Dr.Nightdub
21/09/2006, 8:40 PM
Don't think you'll find a Pats fan who doesn't think Barry Ryan is quality, I've been trying to think of his faults and I can't.

sniff sniff?

He said fault. :D

babydol
22/09/2006, 12:29 PM
Still saved a pen. No point in poll as some will just vote for their own keeper regrdless

I won't!:o