PDA

View Full Version : 1st Divison run in!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Conor H
19/09/2006, 2:12 PM
It's going to be a close race in the premier division for the title but it will be just as eagerly contested in the 1st Divison.
Utd,Rovers and Dundalk are the 3 most likely teams to take the title but Cobh and Lims will think they still have an outside chance.
It's really hard to call but me been biased i think GUFC might have the best run in.
Dundalk,Rovers and Cobh all have to come to Terryland and we only have 3 away games left.
Rovers have away games to Galway,Dundalk and Cobh.Not too sure how Dundalk fare out but they do have to come to Terryland and Ballybofey which is never easy.
Galway
Positive-6 out of 9 home games-Always good towards the end.
Negative-Too many draws could prove costly!
Rovers-
Positive-Only conceeded 9 goals and lost twice-Always tough to beat home or away
Negative-Like UTD alot of draws may prove fatal!
Dundalk
Positive-On a very good run of form of late and are scoring goals.
Negative-8 defeats will be an awful lot if they were to loose one or two games in the final run.

Going to be close.
Prediction
1-GUFC
2 Rovers
3 Dundalk.

hoops1
19/09/2006, 2:21 PM
If we beat Dundalk thursday I think its over

Terry
19/09/2006, 3:10 PM
We have 4 away games left, Limerick, Harps, Athlone and the last game of the season down in Kilkenny

gufct
19/09/2006, 3:29 PM
If we beat Dundalk thursday I think its over

With 8 games to go I dont think so ye still have to travel to galway and Limerick twice plus your back games are going to mean you could have a backlog to clear in the last few weeks.

Conor H
19/09/2006, 3:36 PM
We have 4 away games left, Limerick, Harps, Athlone and the last game of the season down in Kilkenny

Forgot about Kilkenny but it's a great away game to have last.3 points guaranteed down there if needs be.

hoops1
19/09/2006, 3:41 PM
If we beat dundalk I think with a game in hand
it should be enough
We have Kildare(h),Athlone(h)Kilkenny(a)Monaghan(h) in a four week
period. 12 pts? You put 12 points together at this stage of the season
and the others are going to find it tough

Up The Town
19/09/2006, 4:22 PM
If Dundalk Beat Rovers On Thursday Night We Will Be Well On Our Ways To Winning It Only Obstacle Is Galway I Think Always Tough In Terryland.

Actually Cant Wait Till Thursday Now Should Be Good Crowd And Athmosphere. Title Winning Game.:) :)

jebus
19/09/2006, 4:36 PM
It would come down to the 4 teams I would least want in the shake up to be there at the end wouldn't it? Although saying Cobh are in with a shout is a slight over-estimation on my behalf I suppose. But anyway on to the subject on who wil win the 1st division this year, I'll have to go with Dundalk. From what i've seen of them this year they are a far better side than worthy also rans Galway, and look that bit stronger than Rovers.

Case in point, Dundalk recently beat us 2-1 down here in Limerick when the very most they deserved is a point, but still they walked away with all three. Rovers stil have to visit us, and since we're their 'bogey' club I doubt they'll be able to take anything away from Hogan Park, and even though I may be tempting the fates with this, I don't see Galway taking anything either (although honestly I give Galway as much of a chance as Cobh of finishing top of the pile this year). What with LFC still to visit Dundalk near the end of the season we could turn out to still be an influence on this years title

Lim till i die
19/09/2006, 4:36 PM
We have 4 away games left, Limerick, Harps, Athlone

Limerick, Harps and Athlone will all be potentially tricky games for you lot :ball:

Plus we still have to travel to Dundalk and give them their traditional three points :o

Not to worry though, you'll get into the Premier either way ;)

holidaysong
19/09/2006, 4:56 PM
On a related note there was a good piece by Emmet Malone on Dundalk FC today in the Irish Times today...

In my opinion, the winner in Oriel on Thursday will win the division.

hoopy
19/09/2006, 5:19 PM
On a related note there was a good piece by Emmet Malone on Dundalk FC today in the Irish Times today...

In my opinion, the winner in Oriel on Thursday will win the division.

Yeah, good read. The crowd on Thursday'll be bigger than most, if not all, games this weekend

sligoman
19/09/2006, 6:58 PM
Prediction:

1. Dundalk
2. Shams
3. Cobh

Conor H
19/09/2006, 10:08 PM
Prediction:

1. Dundalk
2. Shams
3. Cobh

Sligoman you really are hillarious.I can see why Ny Hoop has you on his ignore list.

Dave drummerboy
19/09/2006, 11:57 PM
We have the following teams left to play at home .
rovers athlone , kilkenny and limerick
Away we have cobh kildare galway mons harp .

If we get result against rovers , we should beat athlone kilkenny and limerick , cobh will be tough and galway , kildare mons we should win and harps is hard to decide .

mypost
20/09/2006, 1:18 AM
We were top after Week 9, Week 18, Week 27, and we will be top after Week 36. :)

Dave drummerboy
20/09/2006, 2:27 AM
We shall see

seand
20/09/2006, 7:29 AM
Thursday is a big game. After droppnig pts at home to Harps last week it puts the onus on Dundalk to come out and beat Rovers, which we haven't managed yet. With Rovers having a game in hand and we can't rule out them getting those 3 docked points back they are certainly in pole position.

Dundalk are very strong on the road, best away record in the division by a long way, and are in great form. 13 or 14 unbeaten. Would have to worry about a 2 or 3 game poor patch somewhere along the way costing us though. Rovers are super organised, they won't lose many, if any, and will grind out enough 1-0s. They have a lot of games to squeeze in, and I'd expect them to get at least a replay v Athlone in the cup. Galway haven't impressed me the 3 or 4 times I've seen them, but they've kept themselves in contention. In fact the best team I've seen in the division is Harps!

This is the First Division remember, so I wouldn't rule out Cobh Limerick or even Harps just yet!!

harpskid
20/09/2006, 10:44 AM
This is the First Division remember, so I wouldn't rule out Cobh Limerick or even Harps just yet!!

I would rule out all three. My predictions:

1 - Dundalk
2 - Rovers
3 - Galway
4 - Cobh
5 - Harps
6 - Limerick

Lim till i die
20/09/2006, 10:51 AM
1. Dundalk
2. Galway
3. Rovers
BIG GAP
4. Limerick
5. Cobh
6. Harps

Dundalk are probably the best equipped to win from what I've seen this season, they've developed the handy habit of playing poorly and still winning. It's an incredible turnaround, almost the opposite to the way our season has gone. I saw Dundalk play in St. Mels earlier on in the season and to call them a shambles would have been an understatement :ball:

Lim till i die
20/09/2006, 10:58 AM
Keep dreaming.

Shur all I dream about is Shamrock Rovers demise :rolleyes:

I was giving my opinion based on what I've seen this season:

Against Dundalk: p. 3 w. 0 d. 0 l. 3 gf. 4 ga. 8

Against Yourselves: p. 3 w. 2 d. 1 l. 0 gf. 3 ga. 1 ;)

hoops1
20/09/2006, 11:06 AM
Newsflash the league is decided by the team that picks up the most
points off everbody not just Limerick

Rory H
20/09/2006, 11:09 AM
if your team finishes 2nd at the end of the season do you celebrate??

Lim till i die
20/09/2006, 11:13 AM
Newsflash the league is decided by the team that picks up the most
points off everbody not just Limerick

NEWSFLASH: due to my lack of superpowers I can't attend every game in the division and can only make a judgement based on what I've seen, I tried my best to explain it above, do you need me to go over it once more?? :rolleyes:

hoops1
20/09/2006, 11:43 AM
Good man. Seeing as though you cant make every game.Its a good idea
to take a look at the league table.This normally lets you know who the best
teams are. Now use this table and add 3 points for Rovers game in hand.
Now add another 3 for the way the league should look.Now take your theory
of who Limerick have played and beaten and apply it to everybody playing everbody.And your end result is not Rovers finishing 3rd(ridiculous) but top.Thank you

CuanaD
20/09/2006, 11:57 AM
My prediction:

Rovers: 72
Dundalk: 68
Galway: 64
Cobh: 55
Kildare: 53
Limerick: 51
Harps: 45
Athlone: 33
Monaghan: 26
Kilkenny: 17

Ash
20/09/2006, 12:14 PM
If we get result against rovers , we should beat athlone kilkenny and limerick ,
cobh will be tough and galway , kildare mons we should win and harps is hard to decide .

Well we've played ye 3 times this year and won 2 and in all the games
Dundalk have been very poor to watch so I'd be expecting us to pick up
at least a point in Oriel
[/QUOTE]

My prediction:

Rovers: 72
Dundalk: 68
Galway: 64
Cobh: 55
Kildare: 53
Limerick: 51
Harps: 45
Athlone: 33
Monaghan: 26
Kilkenny: 1

Even though we're playing poorly I still think we'll pick up more than
3 points in the last 9 games

mypost
20/09/2006, 12:48 PM
Against Dundalk: p. 3 w. 0 d. 0 l. 3 gf. 4 ga. 8

Against Yourselves: p. 3 w. 2 d. 1 l. 0 gf. 3 ga. 1

One of those games v us was a League Cup tie, and therefore doesn't count. :rolleyes:

Since losing in Limerick, we haven't lost at all. We have 5 home games left, and will probably win at least 4, if not all 5 of them. A couple of draws away from home, teamed with the 3 points re-claimed, should see us home with a good bit to spare. ;)

CuanaD
20/09/2006, 12:54 PM
Even though we're playing poorly I still think we'll pick up more than
3 points in the last 9 games
Fair enough, i could be WAY off - it's only a prediction - thats like a guess, isn't it:ball:

oriel
20/09/2006, 1:07 PM
Whoever wins tomorrow nights game between us and Rovers will win the lge, if its a draw, def advantage rovers but these two will slog it out for a few weeks until one pulls clear. I`m not sure Gawlay have the capability of finishing first, i think 3rd was the highest they have been all year.

Betting from paddy power is usually spot on, here are the prices today

Rovers 8/11
Dundalk 2/1
Galway 7/2
Cobh 20/1
Lims 40/1

I predicting a 1-0 win for us tomorrow night which will prob mean Rovers/Dlk will be priced at around evens.

Yes Dundalk were poor at the start of the season (very in fact) but its form from the middle to end that counts.

sadloserkid
20/09/2006, 1:15 PM
Rovers to win for sure, Dundalk second, Galway third and promoted. Then a nice comfortable gap before ourselves, Cobh and Harps stagger over the line somewhat in a random order.

NY Hoop
20/09/2006, 1:31 PM
Whoever wins tomorrow nights game between us and Rovers will win the lge, if its a draw, def advantage rovers but these two will slog it out for a few weeks until one pulls clear. I`m not sure Gawlay have the capability of finishing first, i think 3rd was the highest they have been all year.

Rovers 8/11
Dundalk 2/1
Galway 7/2
Cobh 20/1
Lims 40/1

I predicting a 1-0 win for us tomorrow night which will prob mean Rovers/Dlk will be priced at around evens.

Yes Dundalk were poor at the start of the season (very in fact) but its form from the middle to end that counts.

Cant agree there. If you win tomorrow night you'll be 3 clear with an inferior goal difference and we'll still have a game in hand so dont know how that means the winner will take the league. After tomorrow we'll have 9 games left so talk of Champions is premature.

Betting from PP is spot on probably due to a galway contributor here who bizarrely thinks our team are mullahs:eek:

What has gone on before means squat. It's all down to the 90 minutes tomorrow. Oh by the way **** your thursday night football.

KOH

mypost
20/09/2006, 1:42 PM
Whoever wins tomorrow nights game between us and Rovers will win the lge.

The championship is decided over 36 games, not 1.

Even if we lose in Dundalk, I have no doubt we will win the league, as our rock-solid defence, games/points in hand, and overall consistency week in, week out will separate us from the rest come 18th November.

Conor H
20/09/2006, 2:08 PM

Rovers 8/11
Dundalk 2/1
Galway 7/2
Cobh 20/1
Lims 40/1

Actaully 2nd and we've been higher in the league than yee have for large parts too.I'll be bringing this thread back to life in November when GUFC win the league.

oriel
20/09/2006, 3:07 PM
By all means bring it back to life in mid november, we`ll fill you in on how our night went in jacksons hotel balybofey celebrating winning the lge that weekend.

gufct
20/09/2006, 4:02 PM
if rovers win and we win on friday you will be in third place a point behind us with an inferior goal difference and yet to travel to terryland so to scoff at GUFC chances is a bit premature.

There will be a lot of twist and turns before the 18th of November and no team are in with a divine right to win the division.

Paddyfield
20/09/2006, 4:38 PM
Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers have to play in Terryland before the season ends. Keep in mind that Galway United haven't lost at home in over a year. Don't count your chickens and all that...

sligoman
20/09/2006, 5:40 PM
Sligoman you really are hillarious.I can see why Ny Hoop has you on his ignore list.Why is it that you seem to only have a problem with my prediction? Just cos Galway don't appear in my top 3, sad!:rolleyes:.

Conor H
21/09/2006, 6:45 AM
Why is it that you seem to only have a problem with my prediction? Just cos Galway don't appear in my top 3, sad!:rolleyes:.

Caus you know nothing about the division if you think we'll finish putside the top 3.Like me saying i think Sligo will still finish in the bottom 2.

DvB
21/09/2006, 8:16 AM
Personally i think its nigh on impossible to call how this will pan out, i genunely cant see anyone other than Rovers, Dundalk or Galway actually winning the title though, it should make for an interesting run in though, of that we can be sure.

Koh

Lim till i die
21/09/2006, 11:07 AM
One of those games v us was a League Cup tie, and therefore doesn't count.

It counts as a game of football does it not?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (See I can roll my eyes too) :rolleyes:

Ah Rovers fans, almost as easy as Galway fans

GUISAUltra
21/09/2006, 11:27 AM
the way this league is set up at the moment, ye wont see a champion for at least another 7 to 8 weeks. no matter how good any fan on here is ye obviously have to realise that this is a terrible division, but every team is capable of dropping points in every game. In saying that i still cantsee anyone who is outside the top 3 at the moment winning the league. at the moment i wouldnt be surprised to see any of the top 3 winning but with dundalk and rovers still having to come to terryland, i think that whichever team does the best in terryland will win the league

GUISAUltra
21/09/2006, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE Ah Rovers fans, almost as easy as Galway fans[/QUOTE]

Are galway fans just easier because ye can throw rocks at us when we're down in hogan park

NY Hoop
21/09/2006, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE Ah Rovers fans, almost as easy as Galway fans

Are galway fans just easier because ye can throw rocks at us when we're down in hogan park[/QUOTE]

Happened to us twice in a week down there. No way the league should sanction that toilet for next season.

KOH

Lim till i die
21/09/2006, 11:32 AM
Are galway fans just easier because ye can throw rocks at us when we're down in hogan park

That Sir is slander.......... or libel I forget which. :p

Probably just aswell I don't care :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lim till i die
21/09/2006, 11:34 AM
Happened to us twice in a week down there. No way the league should sanction that toilet for next season.

KOH

That toilet normally isn't there, it was just brought in for the Rovers games because tight segregation was needed due to a scum element within the Shamrock Rovers support ;)

jebus
21/09/2006, 12:28 PM

KOH

Oh right, you two are referring to the incidents where some mystery rock thrower, sitting in the Hogan Park shed (while all else was standing) lobbed a rock half the length of the pitch and hit some Galway fan (hopefully Conor H) and the time when some Rovers fans tried to start some agro in Limerick and got sent home with their tails between their legs, just wanted to clear that one up :rolleyes:

But of course NY Hoop, none of that ever happened, the innocent Rovers fans are being victimised yet again by this country and beyond, I'd say we should get Charlie Bird on the case but he's probably still nursing his wounds from the Rovers fans attacking him on O'Connell St during the Love Ulster parade ;)

DvB
21/09/2006, 12:42 PM

KOH

Oh right, you two are referring to the incidents where some mystery rock thrower, sitting in the Hogan Park shed (while all else was standing) lobbed a rock half the length of the pitch and hit some Galway fan (hopefully Conor H) and the time when some Rovers fans tried to start some agro in Limerick and got sent home with their tails between their legs, just wanted to clear that one up :rolleyes:

But of course NY Hoop, none of that ever happened, the innocent Rovers fans are being victimised yet again by this country and beyond, I'd say we should get Charlie Bird on the case but he's probably still nursing his wounds from the Rovers fans attacking him on O'Connell St during the Love Ulster parade ;)[/QUOTE]

Brilliant post!

jebus
21/09/2006, 1:13 PM
this isnt the first time you have posted this ****e on here. Mods?

are you denying locals attacked rovers fans at the games?

I'm not, but only in retaliation. Are you denying Rovers fans attacked locals?

And I think I'm perfectly entitled to respond to a Rovers fan saying that ye lot were attacked in Limerick by pointing out the other (or real) version of those events. :p

Just because Rovers have a victim syndrome doesn't mean I can't post what I've seen personally (Love Ulster riots, where there was an element of Rovers supporters, or at least people in Rovers tops, caught on my and other people's camera), or what I've been told (Limerick vs Rovers game) in response to other supporters claiming they've been victimised in Limerick. We put up with enough of that **** in the national papers

NY Hoop
21/09/2006, 1:42 PM
I'm not, but only in retaliation. Are you denying Rovers fans attacked locals?

And I think I'm perfectly entitled to respond to a Rovers fan saying that ye lot were attacked in Limerick by pointing out the other (or real) version of those events. :p

Just because Rovers have a victim syndrome doesn't mean I can't post what I've seen personally (Love Ulster riots, where there was an element of Rovers supporters, or at least people in Rovers tops, caught on my and other people's camera), or what I've been told (Limerick vs Rovers game) in response to other supporters claiming they've been victimised in Limerick. We put up with enough of that **** in the national papers

You are obviously a WUM.

There were stones thrown from outside the ground at the Rovers fans at the League Cup game and the league game. I didnt need to be told because I was there.

For your info there were GAA jersies and celtic jersies also at the love ulster riot.

You and your programme editor would want to lose the anti Rovers chips on your shoulders and concentrate in supporting your club.

No victim syndrome son. Stop reading the herag.

KOH

hoops1
21/09/2006, 3:25 PM
I Agree with NY Hoop here, people are just putting 2 and 2 together with this topic. There was no proof that Shamrock Rovers fans were involved in those riots. People just seen lads running around with Ben Sherman tops, Le Coq Sportif Trackies and 4 stripe Runners so naturally they blamed Shams which is Some what unfair.

haha very good:D