PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Question

NeilMcD
19/09/2006, 11:09 AM
Not trying to wind up anyone here just a genuine Question. An Austrian guy moved into my house and he was watching the game last night and I was explaining to him why Derry City play in the EL and not the Irish League. He asked me did anybody in Derry of a Unionist persuasion support Derry City or was their support solely from those of a Nationalist persuasion. I told him I would find out. Hence this mail.

MariborKev
20/09/2006, 6:27 PM
Neil,

The support follows the demographics of the City.

The support would be overwhelmingly Nationalist and Catholic.

However there are both Catholics who believe in the retention of the Union who support Derry City, and Protestants who would be Unionists who would support the Candystripes.

pineapple stu
21/09/2006, 12:53 PM
He asked me did anybody in Derry of a Unionist persuasion support Derry City or was their support solely from those of a Nationalist persuasion.
Probably going to get myself into a big hole here, but I think the unionist team in Derry (apart from Liverpool, Man Utd, Rangers, etc) is Institute, who were relegated from the Irish League Premier Division last season. Even then, though, I think the support is somewhat interchangeable (i.e. a fair few people would go to watch either team if they're playing)

NeilMcD
25/09/2006, 3:56 PM
Cheers thanks for that.