PDA

View Full Version : League Cup Final

Red&White
18/09/2006, 11:57 AM
From RTE:
Champions Derry City take on Shelbourne in the final of the eircom League Cup this evening at the Brandywell, kick-off at 8.00pm.

The Candystripes' preparations have been overshadowed by the tragedy of midfielder Gareth McGlynn's father, Sean, who, aged just 51, collapsed and died playing golf on Saturday.

With Friday's league game against Shels in mind, boss Stephen Kenny is set to re-jig his starting eleven with Shaun Holmes likely to come in at left back for Sean Hargan while skipper Peter Hutton should come into central defence in place of either Ken Oman or Darren Kelly.

Shelbourne are without key midfielder Joseph Ndo after he picked up a back strain in Friday's win at St Pat's with Alan Moore set to come into midfield.

Skipper Owen Heary and top-scorer Jason Byrne, while back in training, won't be fit enough to play tonight.

Heary, Byrne and best of all, Ndo out...I reckon 2-0 to City. :)

Mark Breen
18/09/2006, 12:30 PM
Heary WILL startand Byrne is on the Bench

dcfcsteve
18/09/2006, 1:08 PM
"Champions Derry City..." ??

Surely they meant 'current holders'.

Red&White
18/09/2006, 1:32 PM
Heary WILL startand Byrne is on the Bench

RTE....:rolleyes:

hoops1
18/09/2006, 1:36 PM
Is it just me or is the publicity for the game awful?
I only found out today that it was on tonight.

Red&White
18/09/2006, 1:53 PM
Is it just me or is the publicity for the game awful?
I only found out today that it was on tonight.

It's a ridiculous night as well.

dcfcsteve
18/09/2006, 2:09 PM
The point was made on the City forum that, given the increasing back-log of fixtures we have, surely it would've been better all round to have this game at the end of the season. After the league ends and before the FAI Cup. That way we could've played our rescheduled game versus Sligo tonight instead.

There is no reason in the world why the League Cup needs to be played at thsi time, and no reason again why it can't wait until later. If it was at the end of the season, then maybe it could've been treated a bit more like a Cup Final as well.

Touch wood, fingers crossed, I'm not expecting this to happen - but think of the fixture pile-up if City do make the Group stages !! :eek: We're already 3 games behind as it is, with an FAI Cup quarter and any that follow that to fit in as well.

hoops1
18/09/2006, 2:19 PM
Next year switch all league cup fixtures with FAI cup fxtures
Then you dont have the cup final on a ridiculous date and might
even create more of crowd for the league cup after the season.

OneRedArmy
18/09/2006, 3:53 PM
Or alternatively get rid of the League Cup.

If our leading clubs are going to be regularly getting through a round or two in Europe (here's hoping), then fixtures are going to continue to be a pain.

Reinstate the Shield to keep the lower division teams busy.

DmanDmythDledge
18/09/2006, 4:05 PM
All clubs in Europe should be exempt from the competition.

Or the FAI can decide to schedule fixtures properly...

refjohn
18/09/2006, 4:06 PM
All clubs in Europe should be exempt from the competition.

Or the FAI can decide to schedule fixtures properly...

if it wasnt for the Setanta place I don't think the European sides would be too worried about competing in it

CharlesThompson
18/09/2006, 4:31 PM
Is this game going to be on the telly tonight?

mypost
19/09/2006, 1:20 AM
This is the fixture that our Derry friends insisted should have been shown in the last round of the FAI Cup, instead of Rovers-Bohs.

That's the second 0-0 I have sat through between Derry and Shels on tv this season. :rolleyes: There was another draw shown live as well. All of them were very poor, with few chances for either side. It wasn't until Stokes sent a couple of players off did it get remotely entertaining.

Now I know why TG4 decided to show our cup tie in August. Shels and Derry bore the audience.

dancinpants
19/09/2006, 2:55 AM
MP if it was sooo bad why'd ye watch it? :confused:

hoopy
19/09/2006, 6:02 AM
That's the second 0-0 I have sat through between Derry and Shels on tv this season. :rolleyes:

They're on tv again this friday :D

OneRedArmy
19/09/2006, 8:24 AM
This is the fixture that our Derry friends insisted should have been shown in the last round of the FAI Cup, instead of Rovers-Bohs.

That's the second 0-0 I have sat through between Derry and Shels on tv this season. :rolleyes: There was another draw shown live as well. All of them were very poor, with few chances for either side. It wasn't until Stokes sent a couple of players off did it get remotely entertaining.

Now I know why TG4 decided to show our cup tie in August. Shels and Derry bore the audience.The Rovers fans on here are, to a man, a laugh and a half.

And Mypost you are a master of spin. What you neglect to mention is that one game was played in driving snow and last nite's in a howling gale and pouring rain. I suppose thats our fault as well.

The quality of football last night was low, but the excitement was high, even for the neutral.

Get over your bitterness of bumping around in the lower division. When you get back up with the big boys next season we can continue this discussion.

pete
19/09/2006, 10:23 AM
Once team started to get the boot in was an entertaing match as of course yellow and red cards suited me. Ref got both sendings off correct and hard to blame him for missing Hearys nasty play.

el punter
19/09/2006, 10:26 AM
...hard to blame him for missing Hearys nasty play.

Though as Stephen Kenny pointed out on the sideline several times...either or both of the assistant referee and fourth official saw it.

mypost
19/09/2006, 12:40 PM
one game was played in driving snow and last nite's in a howling gale and pouring rain.

And your point is? :confused:

The quality of football last night was low, but the excitement was high, even for the neutral.

I 'm highlighting the fact that this clash of the NL titans, is in reality a boring snoozefest between two over-hyped teams. 5 games between them this year have produced 4 goals. The quality and excitement of football in the three I've watched has been brutal. And there are two more of them to endure this season. :(

Get over your bitterness of bumping around in the lower division. When you get back up with the big boys next season we can continue this discussion.

:o

We're back up in 6 months, so we may as well continue it now.

Mr A
19/09/2006, 12:43 PM

So which is it then?

OneRedArmy
19/09/2006, 12:56 PM
And your point is? :confused:
Its tough to play champagne football in crap weather conditions.

I 'm highlighting the fact that this clash of the NL titans, is in reality a boring snoozefest between two over-hyped teams. 5 games between them this year have produced 4 goals. The quality and excitement of football in the three I've watched has been brutal. And there are two more of them to endure this season. :( The 5 or 6 neutrals I've spoke two enjoyed the game thoroughly. How you can say it wasn't exciting is beyond me.
And overhyped? We're the top two teams in the League.

Assuming you get the ground sorted.

Anyway, I look forward to Rovers coming back up to the Premier Whatever and setting the League alight with their own special brand of total football.

Oops, silly me, for a moment there I thought I was back in the mid-eighties.