PDA

View Full Version : Given taken to hospital

Pages : [1] 2

eirebhoy
17/09/2006, 6:16 PM
Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given has been taken to hospital after being hurt in his side's 2-0 win at West Ham.

The Republic of Ireland international suffered abdominal pains following a collision with Hammers substitute Marlon Harewood.

An ambulance was called to Upton Park and it was decided that Given would not fly back to the north-east with his team-mates but instead stay in the capital overnight for treatment.

A Newcastle spokesman said: "He has got abdominal pains and is going to hospital to be checked out."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/09/17/SOCCER_Newcastle_Given.html&TEAMHD=soccer

Let's hope it's not too serious.

bohsRap
17/09/2006, 11:31 PM
Hopefully not. Not got anything bad to say about Paddy Kenny but Shay Given is so benificial to our team and we are much better with him playing with the confidence he shows etc.

theworm2345
18/09/2006, 1:30 AM
Hopefully not. Not got anything bad to say about Paddy Kenny but Shay Given is so benificial to our team and we are much better with him playing with the confidence he shows etc.
I think Kenny is out, he wasnt in the squad this week. If so, its probably between Colgan and Henderson

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 7:53 AM
Last night I heard he was winded in the tackle & was suffering abdominal pains. Doesn't sound like a break or a tear like I first feared when I heard about the incident.

In worst case scenario where Shay and Kenny are both injured, if I was Stan I'd recall Kiely. I'm sure he'd help out.

Don Vito
18/09/2006, 8:26 AM
Rumoured to be a puntured lung, anyone know how long that would keep him out?

NeilMcD
18/09/2006, 9:33 AM
Given out after stomach surgery
Shay Given
Given felt the full force of a Marlon Harewood challenge
Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given will stay in hospital after undergoing surgery to repair a stomach tear.

Given was rushed to hospital with abdominal pains after he collided with Hammers striker Marlon Harewood towards the end of their 2-0 win at West Ham.

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder told the club's website: "Shay has had surgery. He is now comfortable and will have a short stay in hospital.

"It's too early to be putting any date on when he'll expect to be back."

It was initally thought that Given was just badly winded but an ambulance was soon called after the match as the Republic of Ireland keeper complained of pain.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 9:47 AM
Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given will be out of action for six weeks after undergoing stomach surgery.

Given suffered a worrying-looking injury during a collision with West Ham's Marlon Harewood at Upton Park on Sunday.

The Republic of Ireland international was immediately withdrawn from the action, and Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder revealed subsequently he had suffered a 'small tear in his lower stomach'.

After undergoing surgery, Given spent Sunday night in a London hospital, and the keeper will now continue his recuperation ahead of a possible return date at the turn of November.

Seriously, no way can we play Henderson or Colgan. If Kenny isn't fit we've got to call up Kiely.

as_i_say
18/09/2006, 10:09 AM
is kiely still with portsmouth?

of all the players to lose at this stage-i defy anyone to disagree this is not an absolute disaster for us especially against the czechs. :mad:

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 10:12 AM
Yes, Kiely now no. 2 to David James. Playing same amount of first team football as Henderson.

Shay Given is the player we can least afford to lose, by a considerable margin too.

Closed Account 2
18/09/2006, 10:41 AM
How long is Kenny out for Sheff Utd ??

This is a major problem for us now, we needed, in my opinion 5 pts from our 1st 3 games. Basically we have to beat Cyprus (still should be possible - just) and beat the Czechs (very difficult now).

This is really bad news.

plasticpitch
18/09/2006, 10:48 AM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=12753178&p=yz753zz4&n=12753266

Irish Pride
18/09/2006, 10:51 AM
Dear god, can it get any worst???? Elliot is out and now are best player for the pass 3 years is out............
Looks like we will be doing nuthing for da summer of 2008!
We need 6 points from these 2games or kiss euro 2008 gudbye...............

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 10:58 AM
I think SKY is the source of the "6 week" theory. SKY are usually less measured in their speculation. Newcastle are still saying "it's too early to tell".

Even still, if any progress is being made under Staunton we oughtn't need a world class keeper to get a win in Cyprus (not like last time!). Czechs at home will be harder. Kenny's a decent keeper but a lot more responsibility will lie on Richard Dunne's extremely wide shoulders. I've no idea when he'll be back.

Even if Kenny is back, would anyone else call up Kiely, even if only as back up? I simply don't think any other option is credible for matches of this importance. Kiely can't cite "focussing on his club duties" anymore as he doesn't have any!

youngirish
18/09/2006, 11:14 AM
I'd be amazed if Given will be back in time for the qualifiers. Kenny should be back, however, though he was diabolical against the Dutch:

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Dodge
18/09/2006, 11:15 AM
I'd call up Kiely in a heart beat.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 11:22 AM
That's a good website.

Looks like Carsley is out for a bit, and Joey O'Brien back in early October. Andy Reid out for both of next 2 games but Steven Reid back next week.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 11:24 AM
Just seen the tackle on Sky News. Given was first to the ball by a mile. Harewood's tackle was borne of frustration I reckon, I'd say far more careless than malicious. You see that kind of late tackle on keepers regularly, but rarely with such consequences.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 11:40 AM
From BBC's website, football gossip:

Sheffield United are trying to sign free agent Paul Gerrard, who left Nottingham Forest last season, to solve their goalkeeping problem. (Various)

What problem? I thought Kenny was back soon, and Ian Bennett's an experienced back-up.

mjpcc
18/09/2006, 11:46 AM
Kiely retired from International football. As far as I know he has not made himself available again. Mabey Stan can persuade him because we really need him now. :(

youngirish
18/09/2006, 12:11 PM
Just seen the tackle on Sky News. Given was first to the ball by a mile. Harewood's tackle was borne of frustration I reckon, I'd say far more careless than malicious. You see that kind of late tackle on keepers regularly, but rarely with such consequences.
In fairness to Harewood I thought he tried to pull his feet out of the challenge when he realised he wasn't going to get it. His momentum unfortunately done the damage.

green army
18/09/2006, 12:48 PM
this is a disaster

pineapple stu
18/09/2006, 12:55 PM
Is Kiely back from injury yet? I know he was injured very shortly before the season started.

Who else is around? Henderson, Colgan, Stack, who else?

Colin Doyle (Birmingham) and Darren Quigley (UCD) are the U-21 keepers. How far from the first team is Doyle?

eirebhoy
18/09/2006, 1:04 PM
We'll miss Given as much for his presence as for his ability. I think Kenny is decent replacement but having Given on the pitch is as much of a boost to his teammates as having someone like Roy Keane.

Dodge
18/09/2006, 1:09 PM
Kiely's not injured. Complained at the start of the season about "Hollywood" keepers taking his place. I say Barry Ryan

joema
18/09/2006, 1:14 PM
Kiely is not injured, he was on the bench at the weekend

http://www.pompeyfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/MatchCentre/0,,10396~33073,00.html

Id definitly call him up

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 1:32 PM
How far from the first team is Doyle?Quite close. He's played at least once (2-0 defeat at Cardiff) and I think actually twice this season. Being understudy to Maik Taylor is no shame. Taylor's a very good keeper.

neville neville
18/09/2006, 1:45 PM
I dont think will Kiely come back, he didnt have too many nice things to say when he retired? Does anybody know how long kenny is out for? Are henderson or colgan playing 1st team football? Joe Murphy is playing in S****horpes 1st teambut he hasnt had a call up in a few years.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 1:56 PM
Kiely, unusually, has remained closer to the squad than many think. That's what I thought anyway.

He was pundit for the BBC for the Paris game in 2004 and he was saying that he'd been in touch with the players all the time they were out there.

elroy
18/09/2006, 2:02 PM
Considering Shay won the last game we had in cyprus pretty much on his own this is a disaster. Badly need kenny fit, only hope is sometimes initial reports are a bit OTT, hopefully that will prove to be the case here......clutching straws.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 2:29 PM
If we have to rely on a goalkeeping performance like Shay's out in Cyprus this time then we're in a really bad state. We won't be goping anywhere in 2008 if that's the best we can do.

Kenny's a perfectly competent keeper & I think his defenders would appreciate that, but only a handful of keepers are capable of playing to the level Shay played that night.

Some people suggested that maybe O'Brien's failure to pick up the Dutch striker (Huntelaar?) at a corner for Holland's first goal was equally Kenny's fault but I think that's harsh. He was blameless for the others.
If Kenny's back fully fit it won't be a crisis. It might even be the making of him.

drinkfeckarse
18/09/2006, 2:58 PM
I'd get Mick Devine called up before Murphy, Stack or Doyle. They cannot be considered serious options when they play for the likes of S****horpe or don't even play at all.....seriously.

onenilgameover
18/09/2006, 3:02 PM
oh dear we are fupped...i'd have Kiely in before Kenny. if Kenny is injured and Colgan plays may god and the czechs have mercy on us..

eirebhoy
18/09/2006, 3:04 PM
I dont think will Kiely come back, he didnt have too many nice things to say when he retired?
What did he say?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/republic_of_ireland/2975831.stm

I'd still prefer Kenny over Kiely though. It wouldn't send out a great message if Kiely is asked to come out of retirement to play a couple of games.

onenilgameover
18/09/2006, 3:21 PM
Kiely was mis-treated by McCarthy. He should have given him a couple of starts in friendly games. he was annoyed and rightly so... he has said as much but I wouldnt be suprised if he came back if asked...true it would send out the wrong message to play him over kenny if kenny isnt injured....but if kenny is out...please come back Deano.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 3:31 PM
Kiely did a biggish interview with one of the Sunday papers a little while back, citing his frustration at perpetually being second fiddle under Mick and Kerr.
I've been looking for it but can't find it.

Also, when Staunton took the job he indicated that he'd be contacting recently retired players. I wonder did he only mean Carr.

Anyway, it's not as if retirement from international football is a contractual binding. It'd only take a phone call. I think he's unhappy to be second to David James so my guess is he'd jump at the chance to play again, but only if he was first choice.

He's one of the few 2G who constantly refers to Ireland as "us" in the media, not that that signifies too much.

My only resevation is that having been out of the first team at Charlton, Kiely looked rusty in his first few games at Portsmouth, only showing his true ability after 4 or 5 games from what I can remember.

Anyway, it's all academic, if Kenny's fully fit then that's fine by me.

bohsRap
18/09/2006, 3:35 PM
I reckon if Kenny is out, get Kiely because he might just come back due to him not playing at all at Portsmouth. I'm sure he love to get a game and show his worth.

Fergie's Son
18/09/2006, 3:46 PM
Does any Sheffield United fan have any info on Kenny's return date?

This is grim but I do agree with the sentiment that if we need our keeper to win in Cyprus then we are screwed regardless of who is playing.

NeilMcD
18/09/2006, 3:55 PM
According to physio room, Keeny is back on 23rd of September and Given is back on 28th of October

Andy Reid is 16th of October

No return date for Carsley

Stephen Reid is 23rd of September

Joey O Brien is 7th of October

DmanDmythDledge
18/09/2006, 4:00 PM
I say Barry Ryan
I second that.

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 4:00 PM
SKY News has changed its article from "will be out for 6 weeks" to "could be..."

Stuttgart88
18/09/2006, 4:03 PM
And to think I laughed at the English reaction to Wayne Rooney's foot! I knew I was tempting fate...

Metrostars
18/09/2006, 5:39 PM
From the Sheffield United website (on SU looking at Paul Gerrard):

Warnock said that the 33-year-old experienced stopper is training with United as the Blades boss seeks cover for Paddy Kenny and Ian Bennett who both have minor injuries.
Kenny missed the weekend defeat to Reading with a thigh injury, whilst Bennett picked up a knock in that game.

John83
18/09/2006, 6:16 PM
Kiely's not injured. Complained at the start of the season about "Hollywood" keepers taking his place. I say Barry Ryan

I second that.
Bazza for Ireland!

Seriously, this is horrible news. Still, Kenny has to step up to the plate at some stage. He might be better than we think.

pineapple stu
18/09/2006, 6:31 PM
True. I remember the Euro 2000 play-off when Alan Kelly injured himself and Shay Given must have been injured too - Dean Kiely stepped in for his debut, played out in Turkey too and did as well as could be expected. Let in an (ultimately decisive) penalty, but nothing else.

Love to see Bazza in the Ireland squad!

billybunter
18/09/2006, 8:23 PM
dean kiely should be recalled asap. I rate him better than Paddy kenny in every department, plus he's played more with the current team. Kenny needs some less crucial games to get some playing time. We need experience in the next 2 games.

beautifulrock
18/09/2006, 8:28 PM
not good, here is hoping he will be fit but being realistic, Paddy K will be in nets.

tricky_colour
18/09/2006, 11:13 PM

I have watched the replay several times, including in slow motion to see if I could find fault with Harewood (which is what I initially thought) but the more I see it the more it just looks like a horrible accident. Given goes from going forward at full pace to being pushed back at least a yard, by Harewood's knees, not very nice to watch repeatedly. I can't see him making the Czech game but you never know.

eirebhoy
19/09/2006, 12:10 AM
And to think I laughed at the English reaction to Wayne Rooney's foot! I knew I was tempting fate...
In all fairness, more Irish people probably know Hargreaves will miss the next set of qualifiers than those that know Given is out for ours. :)

Fergie's Son
19/09/2006, 4:42 AM
In all fairness, more Irish people probably know Hargreaves will miss the next set of qualifiers than those that know Given is out for ours. :)

WUM of the month Eirebhoy, well done.

eirebhoy
19/09/2006, 8:18 AM
WUM of the month Eirebhoy, well done.
I don't understand what you mean at all... from what I could see the Hargreaves injury got fairly big media coverage over here. Stutts has complained a couple of times about Irish newspapers not keeping us up to date about actual Irish players. It was toungue in cheek. Where does the winding up come into play?