Neil
27/06/2001, 9:23 PM
Still the same...

jbrazil
27/06/2001, 11:26 PM
1-1. late mulligan goal.

Neil
27/06/2001, 11:48 PM
In the first game of the 2001 Supercup, Cork City left it to the very end to grab a point against a very determined Longford Town.

Stephen Kenny gave many of his young stars debuts during the Wednesday evening encounter, as well as new signings, Alan Kirby and Alan Reynolds.

Town dominated the game from the start to the finish, although they could not convert their possession into a victory. Enda Kenny had a good chance in the first minute, when his shot was followed up on by Stephen Lynch, only for his drive to be cleared by the Cork defence.

New boy, Reynolds, took only 25 minutes to open his goalscoring account for The Town, when he scored a free kick from just outside the box.

In the second half, it was Longford Town that had chance after chance on the Cork goal, but they could not find a way past Noel Mooney. Alan Kirby had a go and Steve Gavin had another, but Town's best opportunity fell to Keith O'Connor, whose his lob was cleared by a desperate City defence.

Just when it looked like Town would register their first win of the tournament, James Mulligan pounced on a Steve O'Brien mistake and claimed a point for City.

-Setanta

joe
28/06/2001, 9:36 AM
Here's the City line-up (4-4-2):

Noel Mooney, Alan Bennett, Damien O'Rourke, Kevin Murray, Neal Horgan (Damien Roddis), Conor O'Grady, Pat Morley, Mark Herrick, Ollie Cahill, Steve O'Flynn (Stephen Heaphy), James Mulligan.
Sub not used: Michael Devine.

Neil
28/06/2001, 10:12 AM
Joe, did ye get to have a look at Flancare Park?
What was Alan Kirby like for Longford (after all the talk of him coming to City)?

joe
28/06/2001, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by neil
Joe, did ye get to have a look at Flancare Park?
yes, and it's unbelievable. I reckon it will actuallly look like a football ground when it's finished. We got a tour of the place from one of their committee members and i've got some photos which i'll hopefully get on-line today. they eventually plan tomake it a 10,500 all-seater stadium, but there'll be 7,500 for the euro game and they're holding the cyprus under21 match there. the dressing rooms are massive, there'll also be a referees room, a medical room, a mascots room, a bar, a function room and a load of offices under the stand. all in all very impressive and will make every other ground in the country look like a kip.

What was Alan Kirby like for Longford (after all the talk of him coming to City)?

Kirby looked good, as always, but no one really stood out last night. it really was a typical super cup match

pete
28/06/2001, 11:38 AM
Lineout from the Examiner:

CORK CITY; Mooney, Bennett, Horgan, O’Rourke, Murray, O’Grady, Cahill, Herrick, Mulligan, Morley, O’Flynn, subs. Heaphy for O’Flynn 54, Reddis for Horgan 88.

Who are the young lads? Murray, Heaphy & Reddis?

Where was the rest of the squad? I know the oldies would be rested but what about Welsh, Colin O'Brien etc....?

joe
28/06/2001, 11:46 AM
Murray is Kevin Murray who is a big centre back that played with both the under17s and youths teams last season.

Heaphy is Stephen Heaphy who played on the leftwing/centre midfield with the youths last year and also made a couple of appearances for the reserves, i think.

Roddis is Damien Roddis who plays left-back or left-side of midfield and was a regular with both the reserve and youth teams (who I think he was captain of) last season.

Neil
28/06/2001, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by joe

it's unbelievable. ................all in all very impressive and will make every other ground in the country look like a kip.
Fair play to Longford Town. And would I be right in saying that they own that ground? Also, having a bar in the ground is what every club needs. Every rugby club has a bar on their grounds... Reason: It is the biggest earner for the clubs by a mile. I know that for a fact is the case with Highfield RFC.

joe
28/06/2001, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by neil

Fair play to Longford Town. And would I be right in saying that they own that ground?

yes, and quite a bit of land next to the ground where they plan on developing a pitch for their under21s and youths and an all-weather training pitch. plus they've already been approached about the possibility of hosting a concert there next summer, but keep that under your hat until the line-up is confirmed!

Stevo
28/06/2001, 4:54 PM
as a town fan i would like to compliment yee "city" boys of the amount of praise yee give our small club with big ideas....i think the first step to improving the league is by improving the facilities first...if every ground in the premium had 10,000 all seater stadium with a bar this league would go places....longford cork one two in the league next season...keep the dubs out...our cluchie's should stick together :)

Neil
28/06/2001, 5:13 PM
if every ground in the premier had 10,000 all seater stadium with a bar this league would go places
I agree. People say you have to improve the standard of football first, that there's no point in having 10,000 seats in a ground if 8,000 are empty every week. Perhaps, but right now people will be attracted to a big cup game or if a team is doing well in the league, and they are not coming back after that. If we have comfortable grounds to attract them they might just come back for the next game against UCD.

Turner's Cross is one of the better grounds in the country but it's still a million miles from actually attracting people to a game for the 'occasion' even if it is a shi* game.

Put a roof on the St. Annes End, make the old dressing rooms into a bar, paint the ****in walls and sort out some proper advertising hoardings just for a start...

C'mon MFA!

James
28/06/2001, 5:29 PM
thats the bones of the prob though. we dont own the ground the MFAI do. the guy that very kindly showed us round Flancare park stressed they owned the ground and the land around it so they had full control over what they wanted to do. they also seemed to care alot more about their club then our boiard do.

The stadium and facilities will definately be the best in the country..I mean to even have a room for the mascots! they will have proper covering/seating and proper wheelchair access which is very good.
even small things like eventually getting the proper kinda retractable tunnely thing that extends out from where the players come out onto the pitch.

Overall it was very impressive and an away trip I will definately be making in future

Shame about the game though

joe
28/06/2001, 7:17 PM
Here we go - there are 6 photos here which should give you an idea of the work that's going on:

http://phootball.com/i/flancare/

jbrazil
28/06/2001, 7:29 PM
how did o flynn, o grady, bennet play??

rebel yell
28/06/2001, 7:31 PM
Nice photos Joe. I wondered what u got upto when u had finished
shooting the Blair Witch Project.

joe
28/06/2001, 8:36 PM
Originally posted by rebel yell
Nice photos Joe. I wondered what u got upto when u had finished
shooting the Blair Witch Project.

i haven't seen the film but somehow i doubt that's a compliment!

joe
28/06/2001, 8:40 PM
Originally posted by jbrazil
how did o flynn, o grady, bennet play??

O'Flynn - hard to judge really as City didn't spend much time in Longford's half. Went off soon after receiving a shoulder/collar bone injury. He's a big enough lad though so if he has a bit of skill and is able to finish he'll be a welcome addition to the side.

O'Grady - I was more impressed with him on Saturday when he come on in a more central position. Last night he played on the right wing but didn't really contribute much. As I said above however, City didn't really do a whole lot of attacking.

Bennett - played at right back and looked comfortable enough, though there was a couple of times when he seemed to lose his man.

Neil
29/06/2001, 11:48 AM
O'Flynn, O'Grady ...
It may be just what City needs... players whose surname start with 'O'?

Just like our manager... Gunther Out!

Pauro 76
30/06/2001, 7:45 PM
Cheers for the praise lads! Its good to know we're getting recognition for our efforts, hope ye lads do well next season, and the fact that the Longford and Cork parts of this site are the most used just about says it all! Cheers!!! :)

Daniel McD
30/06/2001, 8:19 PM
To be honest the fact Longford and Cork are the most used parts of this site only show that neither had decent message boards before phootball.com came into existence !!

Most of the other clubs have stayed at their own sites !

Éanna
01/07/2001, 12:00 AM
The reason there's so much city traffic is cos our two top forums (redboys and corkcityfc.com) closed down.