PDA

View Full Version : Asprilla goes AWOL

pete
30/08/2002, 1:15 PM
bbc sport:

Asprilla (As-pir-ill-a as Joe Kinnear would say) snubs Darlington

Asprilla was a big hit at Newcastle

Darlington's audacious bid to sign Faustino Asprilla has collapsed after the player twice failed to turn up for a medical.
The Columbian is now believed by club officials to be in the Middle East.

I think Asprilla's behaviour is absolutely despicable

Darlington spokesman Luke Raine
The Quakers thought the deal to sign the ex-Newcastle star was completed and even paraded Asprilla before the crowd at Feethams on Tuesday.

They were also convinced the player would put pen to paper on a two-year contract after obtaining a work permit from the Home Office on appeal.

Darlington Chairman George Reynolds told BBC Radio Cleveland he was "gutted" and blamed Asprilla for the breakdown.

Reynolds said the player flew out of Newcastle Airport at 0450 BST on Friday, heading for a Middle East destination, where its believed he had already lined up a club.

Match preview: Kidderminster v Darlington
Club spokesman Luke Raine revealed: "He left Newcastle early on Friday to catch a connecting flight to the Middle East.

"He has not just done that overnight.

"I think it is absolutely despicable. He did not have the good grace to say 'well I have some doubts about joining the club.'

"Everything was positive."

The news will come as a bitter blow to Quakers fans who were celebrating on Thursday after the club finally managed to secure a work permit for Asprilla.

The Home Office had initially refused the 32-year-old a permit, but the Third Division side successfully appealed against the decision.