PDA

View Full Version : "Chasing the yankee dollar"

el punter
15/09/2006, 8:38 PM
How many times did the TG4 presenter use this phrase - in English - about Fenlon?

What the hell was he talking about? What Yankee dollars were Bohs offering him?

Buffoon!

A face
15/09/2006, 9:19 PM
Are you serious ... in what context though?? They are normally not like that at all.

Jaime
15/09/2006, 9:42 PM
I thought it was a great quaint culchie phrase, thought it was funny, Fenlon looked bemused and so did Heary, to be fair. "Chasing the yankee dollar", I like it the more I hear it.

BohsPartisan
15/09/2006, 10:29 PM
Has to go on one of those T Shirts doesn't it?

BohDiddley
16/09/2006, 11:51 AM
I was surprised. Seemed it popped into his head and he was so delighted with it that he had to repeat it.
Yankee $ and Bohs, a supporter-owned club: nothing could be more inappropriate!

BohsPartisan
16/09/2006, 3:40 PM
Yeah maybe he should have said "chasing the order of Lenin" ;)

bohs til i die
16/09/2006, 5:52 PM
What the hell was he talking about? What Yankee dollars were Bohs offering him?

All big clubs do their financial dealings on Dollars. Our South American feeder clubs like Boca Juniors, River Plate, Vasco Da Gama and Corinthians all insist on payments in US dollars. Maybe thats were the TG4 presenter got it from

Jaime
17/09/2006, 6:48 PM
Yeah maybe he should have said "chasing the order of Lenin" ;)

WHEN WE ARE VICTORIOUS ON A WORLD SCALE I THINK THAT WE SHALL USE GOLD FOR THE PURPOSE OF BUILDING PUBLIC LAVATORIES.

BohsPartisan
17/09/2006, 6:52 PM
WHEN WE ARE VICTORIOUS ON A WORLD SCALE I THINK THAT WE SHALL USE GOLD FOR THE PURPOSE OF BUILDING PUBLIC LAVATORIES.

True but Rovers fans will still have to use porta-cabins. They'll only dirty our posh toilets.

sonofstan
18/09/2006, 7:33 AM
All big clubs do their financial dealings on Dollars. Our South American feeder clubs like Boca Juniors, River Plate, Vasco Da Gama and Corinthians all insist on payments in US dollars. Maybe thats were the TG4 presenter got it from

which one did we get Dessie Byrne from?

el punter
22/09/2006, 7:48 PM
He did it again tonight......magnificent :) :)

steno
22/09/2006, 8:02 PM
Yeah its great what does it mean? its a great term.

BohsPartisan
22/09/2006, 8:58 PM
When they throw in an English phrase like that it always reminds me of the Fast Show spanish news programme.

A face
22/09/2006, 9:51 PM
He did it again tonight......magnificent :) :)

I missed that ..... what did he say .... was he reffering to Bohs and said "chasing the yankee dollar" ?? ..... its actually cringeworthy at this stage. It’s a real parochial backwater term, what is going through his head?

steno
22/09/2006, 10:00 PM
not sure but think he was on about shels when they were two behind haven't needed Irish for a while...... or ever

el punter
22/09/2006, 10:11 PM
The context is that Pat Fenlon didn't go chasing the yankee dollar by taking the money to manage Bohs instead of Shels.

"So will Pat Fenlon be pleased tonight that he didn't go chasing the yankee dollar at Dalymount Park?" etc

bizarre the mileage he's getting from it, gone from annoying to funny IMO

steno
22/09/2006, 10:14 PM
Its like Bill Herlihy 'Hookey-Dokey we leave it there so' at this stage guaranteed every game

Sheridan
22/09/2006, 11:46 PM
David Brent uses the phrase "chasing the Yankee dollar" in The Office, which is doubtless where our hero picked it up.

He's an awful presenter, his questions are embarrassing and he constantly misidentifies players and officials. He does have a certain hapless gombeen sub-Hector affability to him which some may find appealing, but it does nothing for me. Worst part of the show (McGeever is a close second, though.)

John83
23/09/2006, 3:09 PM
If it's any help: "Working for the Yankee dollar" is sometimes heard as a derogatory phrase for someone who is perceived to have 'sold out' to an American corporation in some way. [wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee)]

It seems to come from a song, Rum and Coca-Cola. It seems it was made famous by the Andrews Sisters in 1944. If you know who they are, congratulations and get a life. Here's a wikipedia article on the song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_and_Coca-Cola).

The lyrics:
Rum and Coca-Cola
If you ever go down Trinidad
They make you feel so very glad
Calypso sing and make up rhyme
Guarantee you one real good fine time
Drinkin' rum and Coca-Cola
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter
Workin' for the Yankee dollar
Since the Yankee come to Trinidad
They got the young girls all goin' mad
Young girls say they treat 'em nice
Make Trinidad like paradise
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter
From Chicachicaree to Mona's Isle
Native girls all dance and smile
Help soldier celebrate his leave
Make every day like New Year's Eve
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter
In old Trinidad, I also fear
The situation is mighty queer
Like the Yankee girl, the native swoon
When she hear der Bingo croon
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter
Out on Manzanella Beach
G.I. romance with native peach
All night long, make tropic love
Next day, sit in hot sun and cool off
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter

cheifo
23/09/2006, 10:48 PM
He reminds me of the doctor in the Simpsons the way he giggles everytime he sayes something.

Mr A
24/09/2006, 12:23 PM
Chase the yankee dollar here: http://www.realise.com/pop/marketing-dollar.html