PDA

View Full Version : Lost in Translation

joema
14/09/2006, 10:52 PM
Anyone see Lost in Translation tonight? What did ye think? I thought it was alright but overrated, Bill Murray was brillian though.

Ending was a bit weird too

dahamsta
14/09/2006, 11:33 PM
Saw it a while back. I thought the whole movie was weird, and it should by rights have been incredibly boring. But it wasn't, it was oddly fascinating.

sligoman
14/09/2006, 11:43 PM
Watched the first 25 minutes or so, then got bored so put on a DVD instead.

noby
15/09/2006, 7:21 AM
Only saw half of it last night. I think it is a brilliant film. It is, as Adam said, oddly fascinating, and although nothing much seems to happen it pulls you in. Plus there's some great music on the sound track.

Aberdonian Stu
15/09/2006, 7:55 AM
I saw it a couple of years ago but in black & white. Obviously it was defect of the DVD but it really suited the film.

Not sure how well it's aged, and it's only been 3 years.

Dodge
15/09/2006, 9:25 AM
I love iy. Can see why some would find it boring but i didn't. And you'll never, ever see a better acting performance than Bill Murray's

jebus
15/09/2006, 11:10 AM
I think its one of the great movies this decade, the storyline is magic, the direction top notch and the acting is perfect, especially from Bill Murray. How he didn't win the Oscar that year is beyond me

Aberdonian Stu
15/09/2006, 11:58 AM
Yes you will Dodge. Simply rent out Kenneth Branagh's version of Henry V and there you go.

Not that I'm a Shakepeare buff but Brando as Marc Antony in Julius Caesar is also worth a mention as one of the great performances.

That said Murray is still superb in this.

Dodge
15/09/2006, 12:03 PM
Period pieces don't count as they have to be oTT or hammy. Murray gives a masterclass in pathos, comedy and romance

cheifo
15/09/2006, 12:26 PM
Agree with Adam, found the mood and pace of the film really interesting.I thought it was in some ways a brave film because given the understated style I wonder if they thought this could turn out to be a real turkey.Besides
Scarlett Johannsen is just lovely:)

Aberdonian Stu
15/09/2006, 1:41 PM
I would hardly describe Branagh's portrayal of Henry as either OTT or hammy and that is a big generalisation on period pieces. It's usually a sign of a badly produced period drama when they come across that way.

Like I said Murray rocks in this film but there are other performances that have to considered equal or superior, such as Tom Conte's in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

I fear Lost in Translation could age very quickly, while individual performances in it will still be respected (like Murray's obviously) I just have the gut feeling that it's a film that could lose relevancy down the line. I consider this unfortunate as for its time it is a damn good film.

finlma
15/09/2006, 1:43 PM
Its a great film but no greater than a lot of art house movies that come out. This only got so much exposure because of the director and Bill Murray.

There are loads of great art house movies that come out each year but don't get shown in Irish cinemas, who generally pander to the masses with rubbish Hollywood movies and lame attempts at comedy usually starring Will Ferrell.

Some brillant movies that I've seen in the last year or so but wouldn't really be mainstream and I'd rank way above Lost in Translation are:

Junebug
Trans America
Motorcycle Diaries
The Station Manager
The Squid and the Whale
Little Miss Sunshine

osarusan
15/09/2006, 2:02 PM
Livivng in Japan, for me some incidents in the movie hit home, but on the whole I felt it was overrated.

Murray was good but the best ever? You must be joking. If you want to see the best performance in the history of acting, watch Dustin Hoffman in "Lenny". Especially the 7 minute cut (yes, 7 minutes, not a typo) where he goes on stage with no shoes on.

Dodge
15/09/2006, 2:24 PM
yeah Hoffman is super in Lenny

pete
15/09/2006, 6:36 PM
It is a good movie which suffers from the hype. It isn't really about anything much but still very watchable. Then again Scarlett makes a lot of movies watchable.

Jaime
15/09/2006, 9:48 PM
First time I saw it the "enjoyable but over-rated" vibe was what I got alright

bennocelt
16/09/2006, 11:51 AM
rubbish american hype
murray was good but he always is
what was the point of the movie? if you want to see a good movie about life in an asian city.look at the chinese movie director Shang Ke......and his excellent movies about young people growing up in modern day china,with no hopes and little money.real people real life situations
and not some silly yank looking a bit dumb in tokyo

gustavo
16/09/2006, 6:56 PM
missing the point there its not really about life in an asian city, it could have been set in any large city in the world

bennocelt
16/09/2006, 8:23 PM
missing the point there its not really about life in an asian city, it could have been set in any large city in the world

no i dont think so, re title lost in translation, also it was tokyo, not dublin

osarusan
17/09/2006, 1:55 AM
rubbish american hype
murray was good but he always is
what was the point of the movie? if you want to see a good movie about life in an asian city.look at the chinese movie director Shang Ke......and his excellent movies about young people growing up in modern day china,with no hopes and little money.real people real life situations
and not some silly yank looking a bit dumb in tokyo

It wasnt about life in an Asian city.

Exactly. Any city big enough and foreign enough to alienate and isolate you completely.

no i dont think so, re title lost in translation, also it was tokyo, not dublin

The moments in the movie where the focus is on the translation from Japanese to English are funny, but in no way the main point of the film.

Lost in Translation does not refer to the language as much as how we show or translate our feelings and emotions to others. Fears of commitment or rejection stop us from showing our real feelings.. Bill Murray's character is 'lost' at this stage of his life.

The movie could have been set in any city, although if set in an English speaking city, the title would have been different I grant you.

Magicme
17/09/2006, 12:34 PM
I thought it was toss....you would have had to tie me to the bed to make me watch it again the other nite.....ummmmm

jebus
17/09/2006, 1:45 PM
Some brillant movies that I've seen in the last year or so but wouldn't really be mainstream and I'd rank way above Lost in Translation are:

Junebug
Trans America
Motorcycle Diaries
The Station Manager
The Squid and the Whale
Little Miss Sunshine

While I agree with you on the art house movies being better part I have to say I thought TransAmerica was over-hyped, as was Motorcycle Diaries and Junebug. Haven't been to see Little Miss Sunshine yet, but the Squid and the Whale is top notch alright. Good indies I'd recommend this year are

Shooting Dogs (harsher tale of the Rwandan genocide than Hotel Rwanda)
Little Fish (good but not great movie, worth the watch just for Cate Blanchett)
Three Burials (great story)
Brick (again its worth a watch but don't believe the hype around it)
The Proposition (Ray Winstone always performs)

Aberdonian Stu
17/09/2006, 2:04 PM
Little Fish is gruelling but great. Three excellent performances. Blanchett and Sam Neill are both great while Hugo Weaving is in a league of his own, absolutely brilliant.

Brick is up there as possibly the film of the past year for me.

ccfcman
17/09/2006, 6:59 PM
I thought it was excellent, didnt realise the hype it had, very enjoyable, and I had a top cup of kenco with it [ads prevailed for top ups] constantly.

bennocelt
17/09/2006, 10:05 PM
It wasnt about life in an Asian city.

Exactly. Any city big enough and foreign enough to alienate and isolate you completely.

The moments in the movie where the focus is on the translation from Japanese to English are funny, but in no way the main point of the film.

Lost in Translation does not refer to the language as much as how we show or translate our feelings and emotions to others. Fears of commitment or rejection stop us from showing our real feelings.. Bill Murray's character is 'lost' at this stage of his life.

The movie could have been set in any city, although if set in an English speaking city, the title would have been different I grant you.

yeah actually thats a good point, but still the fact it was japan and the fact that they are well known for bad english levels, and also the ultra modern asian lifestlye that one can exist in without actually living and been noticied
!

still american trash

see that Clerks 2 will be out soon, now that was a good movie i could understand, not pretentious

Pat O' Banton
18/09/2006, 5:16 PM
Only saw half of it last night. I think it is a brilliant film. It is, as Adam said, oddly fascinating, and although nothing much seems to happen it pulls you in. Plus there's some great music on the sound track.

My Bloody Valentine, and the Jesus and Mary Chain a film with that sound track can be knocked. Also didn't Kevin Shields produce the music for the film.?