PDA

View Full Version : Irish trio score for Sunderland

Pages : [1] 2

joema
13/09/2006, 8:42 PM
Sunderland 3 Leeds 0

Goals scored by Miller, Elliot and Kavanagh!!!

Havent seen the line ups so dont know how many Irish played

Dodge
13/09/2006, 8:50 PM
Cunningham, Kavanagh, Miller, Connolly and Murphy all started

Elliot came on

dancinpants
13/09/2006, 8:50 PM
01 B Alnwick
25 N Collins
27 S Varga
05 K Cunningham
26 R Elliott
36 L Miller
08 D Whitehead (80 L Lawrence )
28 G Kavanagh
33 R Wallace
11 D Murphy
31 D Connolly (43 S Elliott )

finlma
13/09/2006, 8:52 PM
Kelly, Butler and Douglas for Leeds.

Its like a big soccer Fleadh.

Keane is doing the job so far anyway.

cavan_fan
13/09/2006, 9:40 PM
Anyone know why Elliot came off, was he injured?

tricky_colour
13/09/2006, 9:44 PM

Maybe he felt dizzy after he scored :p

joema
13/09/2006, 10:20 PM
Why was this moved? I posted this in the Ireland section on purpose - lots of Irish players and 3 scored!!

Lionel Ritchie
13/09/2006, 10:44 PM
While I'm delighted for Sunderlands Irish contingent ...well pleased anyway ...the Leeds supporter in me is again dismayed that one would see better football and fewer donkeys if I went to the Donkey World Cup than at Elland Road.

The Legend
13/09/2006, 10:45 PM
Probably cause the title of the thread was the result of an english championship game... if you named the thread (Irish players score for Sunderland) you might have had better luck.... just my guess, i didnt move it.

tricky_colour
13/09/2006, 10:46 PM
Why was this moved? I posted this in the Ireland section on purpose - lots of Irish players and 3 scored!!

Dunno, weird isn't it?
And an insult to the players in my opinion.

sligoman
13/09/2006, 10:47 PM
And an insult to the players in my opinion.Yeah, they'll be devastated when they see this:p.

joema
13/09/2006, 10:59 PM
Sligoman can you put this in the Ireland section?

sligoman
13/09/2006, 11:06 PM
Sligoman can you put this in the Ireland section?Sorry, I don't mod this section so cant:o.

joema
13/09/2006, 11:09 PM
Sorry, I don't mod this section so cant:o.

Ok, I didnt know that admins just moded certain sections. If the mod who can move this sees this can they put the thread back in the Ireland section? I'll even change the title of the thread

sligoman
13/09/2006, 11:12 PM
Ok, I didnt know that admins just moded certain sections. If the mod who can move this sees this can they put the thread back in the Ireland section? I'll even change the title of the threadPoor Student mods this section. Also, any one of the supermods(Adam, Dodge, A face etc.) can move it too.

joema
13/09/2006, 11:17 PM
Cheers for that, its no big deal that its in this section but I think more people would see it in the Ireland section and it is certainly relevent to that section IMO

tetsujin1979
14/09/2006, 12:15 AM
Is this the first time 3 seperate Irish players scored for the one team in the same game?
Unless something like Keane, Harte, Kelly or McPhail all got on the scoresheet for leeds!

Raheny Red
14/09/2006, 1:31 AM
Is this the first time 3 seperate Irish players scored for the one team in the same game?

Nope, happens in the eL all the time :cool: :p

Seriously though I'd reckon it must be the first time this has in England regarding Irish players!

tricky_colour
14/09/2006, 1:38 AM
Unless something like Keane, Harte, Kelly or McPhail all got on the scoresheet for leeds!

I was wondering that myself, after all it's a bit unusual for three Irish players to score in the same week :D :p

Also I just saw Mr Keanes interview on Sky Sports News, I was very impressed, he handled some tricky questions very well:- "How have *you* managed to have so much success so quickly?", basically giving him a chance to take all the credit for the win - he didn't take the bait! He finished by saying they won't get carried away by a couple of good results, sound stuff.

Dodge
14/09/2006, 2:22 AM
Plastic Paddt moved it, I moved it back

Get a ****ing grip tricky colour re the insult rubbish

Colbert Report
14/09/2006, 4:18 AM
Brilliant stuff, can't wait to see Sunderland in the Champions League in two years time.

Stuttgart88
14/09/2006, 6:54 AM

Seriously though I'd reckon it must be the first time this has in England regarding Irish players!

I asked the same question a few times last year when both O'Connors and Chris McCann scored for Burnley in the Championship. Nobody responded!

This time each is a full Irish international though, rather than just 3 Irishmen.

Stuttgart88
14/09/2006, 7:11 AM
Can anyone post a link to the goals?

Elliott going off again is a worry given his injury record.

Two assists by Daryl Murphy who had a good game acc to The Examiner.

OwlsFan
14/09/2006, 7:14 AM
Going to the Sunderland vs Owls game at the end of September. Can't wait, especially now that Whelan is back to playing well for the Wednesday. Hope the Owls burst the Keane bubble :D

Stuttgart88
14/09/2006, 7:25 AM
Kavanagh was superb by all accounts last night. For the sake of a bit of mischief, I'd like to reopen the "playmaker / holding midfielder" debate all over again.

I've always felt that the player whose style Kavanagh reminds me of most is Thomas Gravesen, yet many people see Kavanagh as more of a holder.

From this morning's Guardian:

Celtic are rightly proud of persuading Thomas Gravesen to join from Real Madrid, but his performance gave a definitive rebuttal to anyone who had ever mistaken him for a defensive midfielder. He made an impact when he strode upfield...

This is how I see Kavangah too. Sadly, despite my admiration for his play, I've had to conclude that he isn't up to it for Ireland, only rarely impressing since his recall by Kerr. Prove me wrong Kav.

smellyfeet
14/09/2006, 8:33 AM
[

This is how I see Kavangah too. Sadly, despite my admiration for his play, I've had to conclude that he isn't up to it for Ireland, only rarely impressing since his recall by Kerr. Prove me wrong Kav.[/QUOTE]

I like Kavanagh, all because of the tackle he put in against Brazil on G.Silva.
Best tackle i ever saw, He won the ball a buckled player at the same time:D

endabob1
14/09/2006, 8:55 AM

He didn't come off he come on in place of Connolly who picked up a knock, no idea how serious but it can't have been too trivial if they took him off 2 mins before half time.

2 wins out of 2 both away from home, great start for Keane and he's giving the Irish boys a fair crack.

Plastic Paddy
14/09/2006, 9:00 AM
Probably cause the title of the thread was the result of an english championship game... if you named the thread (Irish players score for Sunderland) you might have had better luck.... just my guess, i didnt move it.

Spot on The Legend - I moved it for exactly that reason.

:ball: PP

Stuttgart88
14/09/2006, 9:01 AM
He didn't come off he come on in place of Connolly who picked up a knock, no idea how serious but it can't have been too trivial if they took him off 2 mins before half time.

Acc to one website Elliott came on for Connolly, scored and went off 10 mins later.

NeilMcD
14/09/2006, 9:34 AM
By Nick Alexander

It is hard to believe that only three weeks have passed since Sunderland lost to Bury in the Carling Cup, slumping to their fifth straight defeat. Talk about a turnaround!

This was as impressive a win as the scoreline suggests. It took Roy Keane's men 15 minutes to settle, but once they did it was conclusive.

The win was Sunderland's third on the spin in the Championship and third consecutive victory at Elland Road - for many years an unhappy hunting ground for the Black Cats.

Keane, who took a flow of abuse from the home crowd, played down the victory but privately he must be ****-a-hoop, it has been a good week for the Irishman.

Liam Miller put the Black Cats in front after 27 minutes and it was a well-worked goal. Robbie Elliott found Ross Wallace with a clever pass, the Scot in turn picked out Miller who finished well with his right foot.

To add salt to the wounds for the home faithful, Miller played 31 games for Leeds when on loan from Manchester United last season.

All of Sunderland's goals were impressive but the pick had to be from Graham Kavanagh, who for the second game running produced a man-of-the-match display.

On this evidence it is hard to believe Wigan let the midfielder go, and his fledging partnership with Dean Whitehead looks good.

benchcelebrate Get in! ... Boss Roy Keane celebrates Sunderland's first goal at Elland Road

Not noted for his goalscoring, Kavanagh, after running on to a Whitehead pass, produced a right-foot volley that Marco van Basten would have been proud of.

It had Sunderland's vociferous fans - 5,000 of them - in delirium as half-time approached. Even some of the home fans applauded Kavanagh's 44th-minute strike.

There was more to come. Just three minutes after half-time Stephen Elliott, who had come on for the injured David Connolly, smashed a half-volley into the corner for his second of the season.

"Easy, easy, easy," chanted the Sunderland faithful in the South Stand.

The only downside to a memorable night was that Connolly, Elliott and Whitehead picked up injuries.

Only Whitehead looks to have a chance of playing against Leicester at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

Leeds started brightly, forcing Sunderland to defend in the early stages. They did it well, setting the standard for the rest of the game.

firstgoal One-nil ... Sunderland's players celebrate Liam Miller's opener

Once Sunderland grabbed a foothold that was it. The performance had everything: solid defending, good passing and exceptional finishing.

It could have been worse for Leeds had Keane not had to reshuffle his pack because of injuries, playing Murphy as a lone striker for the last 30 minutes.

Kavanagh could have had a hat-trick. He forced a great save from Tony Warner in the first half and smashed a shot just wide after the break.

At the other end, Ben Alnwick had a quiet night, though to their credit the Leeds players refused to throw in the towel.

Alnwick was finally called into action just after the hour mark, clutching Matthew Kilgallon's header. It prompted ironic cheers from the Leeds fans.

This was a third successive win for the Black Cats, moving them up to 14th in the table and only two points off a play-off place.

It also sets them up nicely for Keane's first game in charge at the Stadium of Light, when the manager will look to continue the club's upward momentum.

NeilMcD
14/09/2006, 9:34 AM
Roy Keane's reaction to Sunderland's win at Leeds:

"It took us 10 or 15 minutes to get the pace of the game and after that the players were outstanding.

"I've spoken about character, desire and spirit but on top of that you need good players and talent and tonight they showed it, I'm very proud of them.

"I think the new players have made a difference but the biggest plus over the last two weeks is the win over West Brom. That victory was a great boost for the club.

"There has been a big issue made of the lads we have signed, but I'd like to give credit to the lads that were already here.

"They have reacted well. I freshened it up tonight and the lads who came in were outstanding.

"I felt it in my bones that if we got it down and played then we'd have a great chance. You never have it easy coming here and credit to their players, they kept going right until the end.

"The downside is the lads who got injured. I take responsibility for Dave's [Connolly] injury, I was going to leave him out. He's got a thigh muscle injury, Stephen Elliott's gone over on his ankle and Dean Whitehead's is just a knock.

"We have to put a lid on expectation. It's the best thing in the world when you win football matches - fantastic. They need to enjoy tonight but for me, looking at the bigger picture, we've had three victories, we've got Leicester on Saturday and we'll get ready for that.

"It's fantastic. If the fans are happy then we're doing something right. To win 3-0 away from home is great. If the fans go home happy, I'm happy.

"I was expecting to come to Leeds and win; I'm not sitting here in a state of shock ir surprise. We've all got the same aims."

dr_peepee
14/09/2006, 1:30 PM
Great to read things like that about Kavanagh. I think people are right in that at this stage in his career he's found his level. So what though? If this is his level and he can excel at it he can more than hold his own against the Cypriots, San Marino etc. We do need people who can slum it. We've had problems disposing of minnows and lesser teams before.

Getting ahead of myself but given the proximity to the playoff places I'd really like to see Liam Miller play a full season in a promotion winning team and see how he'd carry that momentum into the premiership.

eirebhoy
14/09/2006, 3:55 PM
Kavanagh's much too good for the Championship and is decent at premiership level. I'd agree with Stutts, the holding role isn't his preferred position.

eirebhoy
14/09/2006, 4:12 PM
Goals:
http://www.zippyvideos.com/9471548825986126/sunderland_3_leeds_0/

ken foree
14/09/2006, 4:18 PM
ahh great stuff, thanks ebhoy!

dr_peepee
14/09/2006, 4:34 PM
You're a good man EB!!! Your ma should've had 2 of ye!

joema
14/09/2006, 4:40 PM
Goals:
http://www.zippyvideos.com/9471548825986126/sunderland_3_leeds_0/

Cheers for that

Use this to download the video

http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

Fergie's Son
14/09/2006, 6:46 PM
Good to see so many Irish players. Will continue to follow Sunderland's progress.

zinedineontour
14/09/2006, 8:36 PM
Going to the Sunderland vs Owls game at the end of September. Can't wait, especially now that Whelan is back to playing well for the Wednesday. Hope the Owls burst the Keane bubble :D

heading to same game myself mate cant wait .. been over twice this season already to the coventry away and southend away games lost twice .. be good to see a big crowd at the sol. im sure you lot will bring a big crowd as well. Elliott came on for connolly last night and went off injured ankle injury . He is out for saturday but nothing to serious. Kavanagh was brilliant last night again and should be starting for ireland instead of o shea . Cracking goal from him and elliott great to see elliott back scoring again .

Stuttgart88
15/09/2006, 8:17 AM
Tks eirebhoy. Couldn't open it though. Security settings at work probably. When I clicked on the pay button nothing happened.

It'll be on telly over the weekend I expect though.

NeilMcD
15/09/2006, 9:07 AM
Its on you tube if you search sunderland leeds

Stuttgart88
15/09/2006, 10:08 AM
Tks Neil.

eirebhoy
15/09/2006, 1:21 PM
Kavanagh is now starting to frustrate me. :) He hasn't done all that much at international level but are Kilbane, O'Shea, Miller and Douglas better than him? I don't think so. He's the best of an average bunch I suppose.

dr_peepee
15/09/2006, 1:46 PM
If form dictates his selection though he could be acomadated. I think Kilbanes competitive run of games should be close to ending. Kavanagh could come in beside O'Shea with S.Reid going out on the right with the freedom afforded to Gerrard/Bowyer in similar roles. At the end of the day if he's excelling against Championship opposition there's no reason he can't against the cypriots.

O'Shea showing the kind of club form for us in the middle is the key more so than Reid/Kavanagh etc. I think any one of our industrious drones could come in and compensate to some, if a lesser, extent if S. Reid or whoevers in posession is missing against Cyprus. I was really impressed though with O'Shea for UTD recently, even during his appearence against celtic. He held posession under pressure and used the ball well/properly, something that's most definately missing from Irish performances.

Stuttgart88
15/09/2006, 1:56 PM
if he's excelling against Championship opposition there's no reason he can't against the cypriots.

O'Shea showing the kind of club form for us in the middle is the key more so than Reid/Kavanagh etc. I think any one of our industrious drones could come in and compensate to some, if a lesser, extent if S. Reid or whoevers in posession is missing against Cyprus. I was really impressed though with O'Shea for UTD recently, even during his appearence against celtic. He held posession under pressure and used the ball well/properly, something that's most definately missing from Irish performances.

So frustrating.

I thought Kavanagh was overrun in Cyprus last year. He started brilliantly, involved in everything, but after we started to retreat he barely got a touch.

Likewise O'Shea. As Bobby Robson says - if he can only do the simple things that he seems to do well for MUFC...

O'Shea put Carrick & Gravesen, two naturally talented midfielders, to shame on Wednesday. I suppose the game was stretched and won by that stage but he totally looked the part.

You can't ignore club form, so on that basis I'd be perfectly happy for at least one of Kav or Miller to play in October, maybe even both, but I still think management favours O'Shea.

mjpcc
15/09/2006, 2:13 PM
thanks eireboy.

great to see the goals.

zinedineontour
15/09/2006, 4:25 PM
So frustrating.

I thought Kavanagh was overrun in Cyprus last year. He started brilliantly, involved in everything, but after we started to retreat he barely got a touch.

Likewise O'Shea. As Bobby Robson says - if he can only do the simple things that he seems to do well for MUFC...

O'Shea put Carrick & Gravesen, two naturally talented midfielders, to shame on Wednesday. I suppose the game was stretched and won by that stage but he totally looked the part.

You can't ignore club form, so on that basis I'd be perfectly happy for at least one of Kav or Miller to play in October, maybe even both, but I still think management favours O'Shea.

you can ignore club form when oshea has not played well for ireland for a few years now and keeps getting picked .. Oshea put carrick to shame on wed ? your having a laugh and gravesen was in rag order when he had come on .. kav is a far better option with reid in the centre for me ..

geysir
16/09/2006, 11:16 AM
Kav is one of my favourite Irish players. It hurts that he hasn't done himself justice in the Ireland games.
He hasn't demonstrated enough consistency in the green shirt to warrant being a first team choice. That's a serious indictment considering the skill levels of the others. I had thought fortune did not favour him when Keane returned or when he got untimely injured.
There are a few glaring examples since when under pressure he was weak.
I saw his last chance as a first choice was blown when Kerr didn't pick him for the last game against the Swiss.
I knew we couldn't do any better with the midfield that day but Kerr I suspect couldn't place trust in Kav's lack of consistency.
Right now Kav is a squad member. With O'Shea fit, it's a question of who will partner O'Shea, any other consideration is just mind games.
With O'Shea injured or drafted elsewhere to fill some other position then Carsley imo is the main man in front of the back 4. Kav is a valuable player to have on the bench.
BTW, I read a comment about O'Shea in his last Epl game, 'did ok, nothing flash' which I take as one step in the right direction.

zinedineontour
16/09/2006, 9:35 PM
Kav is one of my favourite Irish players. It hurts that he hasn't done himself justice in the Ireland games.
He hasn't demonstrated enough consistency in the green shirt to warrant being a first team choice. That's a serious indictment considering the skill levels of the others. I had thought fortune did not favour him when Keane returned or when he got untimely injured.
There are a few glaring examples since when under pressure he was weak.
I saw his last chance as a first choice was blown when Kerr didn't pick him for the last game against the Swiss.
I knew we couldn't do any better with the midfield that day but Kerr I suspect couldn't place trust in Kav's lack of consistency.
Right now Kav is a squad member. With O'Shea fit, it's a question of who will partner O'Shea, any other consideration is just mind games.
With O'Shea injured or drafted elsewhere to fill some other position then Carsley imo is the main man in front of the back 4. Kav is a valuable player to have on the bench.
BTW, I read a comment about O'Shea in his last Epl game, 'did ok, nothing flash' which I take as one step in the right direction.

why keep picking o shea though when he has been very poor for the last couple of years for ireland ? Oh i forgot he plays for man utd so he must be good

theworm2345
16/09/2006, 9:40 PM
thanks eireboy.

great to see the goals.
We have all goals on my site from EPL, CCC, L1, and L2 if you want them. www.footballclips.net/forum (Im just theworm2345 there). Just go to the CCC L1 L2 thread and request (I am shameless :o)