PDA

View Full Version : Best Paper For Eircom League

Sniffer
11/09/2006, 6:32 PM
Well what would you folks recommend ?

micls
11/09/2006, 6:34 PM
The Mirror's supplement on a Friday is usually good enough.....gives a preview to all the games anyway.

aido1895
11/09/2006, 6:35 PM
I get the Mirror on Mondays and Fridays as they do a decent pullout on the league on both days

harry crumb
11/09/2006, 9:28 PM
I usually buy the Mirror Fridays.

Good 8 page supplement with previews of all the games.:) :ball:

Worst - Irish Independent--Pathetic 5 inch little column in the corner of the page. Did Gerry MacDermott ever "communicate" his dissatisfaction at this in his years at the Indo.:rolleyes:

Raheny Red
11/09/2006, 11:32 PM
Star and Sun.

willymccann
12/09/2006, 6:45 AM
i agree with most of the guys above, the Mirror gives good coverage on Friday and Monday, and when it's a big week, for example European matches they usually give a couple of columns up to a two ppager on the day previews of the matchs

Peadar
12/09/2006, 8:44 AM
The Irish Times and the Irish Examiner are the best, bar none.
I refuse to vote in a poll which only includes bin liners!

Strabane_Harp
12/09/2006, 8:48 AM

spot the yuppie :p

noby
12/09/2006, 8:48 AM
Agree with Peadar, strangely.

Peadar
12/09/2006, 8:51 AM
spot the yuppie :p

You'd find better match reports on here than in any of the tabloids! Even the drogs lads can write better stuff than what's in the star.

Strabane_Harp
12/09/2006, 8:53 AM
the only paper i can get in belfast is the irish star so i dont get much choice

BohsPartisan
12/09/2006, 9:07 AM
I did my thesis for my Journalism postgrad on this very subject. That was back in 2001. At the time the Star was by far number one when it came to quantity and Quality. The Mirror has definitely over taken in terms of quantity now, quality I would say is 50/50. Not fantastic for either as I often find match reports innacurate with key incidents left out. Whether this is down to the quality of reporting or of the editiong I don't know. Sun was worse than useless back then. Don't know what it is like now as I haven't read it in donkeys.

NeilMcD
12/09/2006, 9:10 AM
surely the poll should have all the papers examiner, indo, and times.

Neish
12/09/2006, 9:30 AM
Agree with peadar.that "The Irish Times"s very good (well at least for the Premier) Mirror would be 2nd

Peadar
12/09/2006, 9:38 AM
In my opinion, Emmet Malone and Liam Mackey are two of the best football writers in Ireland. If they write about the eircom League, it's worth reading.

Larry 'da' Wyse
12/09/2006, 9:38 AM
Would vote for the Examiner mesef. The Times is oke but never has a 1st division report. I try to avoid papers who use 'drogs' 'shams' etc.
Put me down as a yuppie then :)

Peadar
12/09/2006, 9:50 AM
peader

you never read the offical site so :rolleyes:

That's what I was referring to.
The "official" site which contains gems like this in their match reports...

We made a little spurt on 75 and then with 10 to go, Stewie, who replaced the hard-working Sami, found Jermaine with a delicate flick and he slid it home from the edge of the box. THIS IS IT .....we thought...but jaysus what happened...they went down and scored and it was nervousness, falling back too far, but still Lynch, Webb, Dan, Garto and Grayser stood solid as a rock and Kelly blew and we were there and that was it.

If Yiz wanta know anny more about the match, watch the video, because honestly, I'm a little bit locked , y'see I had one in Mothers, a small one in Keelaghans, a Vodka and RB in Redz,the usual in the Gen and up to Barney's to meet the lads and they said -we're all goin upta the Widda's to shoot some pool and then I remembered - I forgot to do the fecking web report . I think the occasion musta got to me.

Full report here... (http://www.droghedaunited.ie/Scripts/Result.asp?FixtureID=396)

BohsPartisan
12/09/2006, 10:19 AM
That's what I was referring to.
The "official" site which contains gems like this in their match reports...

Full report here... (http://www.droghedaunited.ie/Scripts/Result.asp?FixtureID=396)

That is absolutely shocking for an official site.

BohDiddley
12/09/2006, 10:23 AM
The Irish Examiner reverts to being the Cork Examiner (http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/sectiondynamic.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=soccer-qqqa=sport-qqqtt=soccer_domestic-qqqc=5.10.14.0-qqqn=20-qqqx=1.asp) when it comes to Irish football. Almost died of shock when they ran a report on Rovers v. Bohs the other day.
In general, the so-called qualities' coverage of the national league is desperately poor: it's a gig given to the new kids eager to graduate to trips to Old Trafford/Croke Park. Usual exception applies to the excellent Emmet Malone.
I voted Mirror.

Peadar
12/09/2006, 10:56 AM
Almost died of shock when they ran a report on Rovers v. Bohs the other day.

That's a very misinformed opinion.
I'll buy you a copy of the Examiner next Saturday morning and you'll see that they cover all the action from the previous night. They always do.

holidaysong
12/09/2006, 12:45 PM
The Irish Times - for Emmet Malone if nothing else.
Who the hell makes a poll and leaves out some of the main papers in the country?!?

BohDiddley
12/09/2006, 1:32 PM
That's a very misinformed opinion.
I'll buy you a copy of the Examiner next Saturday morning and you'll see that they cover all the action from the previous night. They always do.
If it is misinformed it is only because they don't put it up on their website, unless (usually) it's Cork-related.

Peadar
12/09/2006, 2:06 PM
If it is misinformed it is only because they don't put it up on their website, unless (usually) it's Cork-related.

We're talking about papers, not websites.
Pick up a copy of the paper on Saturday and check out the reports.

KildareFan
12/09/2006, 2:47 PM
The Mirror's pull out on a Friday is excellent but during the week, the Sun is pretty good.

Take today for example. 2 full pages given over to the Eircom League. Big interview with Eamon Gregg regarding the Pat Fenlon situation. Interview with with Conor O'Grady as a preview of tonight's game as well as an overall preview of the first division games.

As well as small interviews with the PSG manager and Damian Richardson

endabob1
12/09/2006, 2:51 PM
Why are there no actual 'news' papers in the poll?

If I wanted to look at t!ts and hear bo!!ox being spouted I'd go and sit in the dail's viewing gallery rather than waste my money on any of those rags.

Sniffer
12/09/2006, 5:40 PM
I started this thread, but not the poll. I endorse the general disgust towards the "news" content in the red tops; however my interest here is purely related to coverage of the eircom League, regardless of whatever tripe may inhabit the rest of the paper.

pineapple stu
12/09/2006, 6:50 PM
For once, Peadar's actually right. Their league coverage - especially with regards match reports of a Saturday - is excellent. Don't buy it regularly enough to know if they do any midweek efatures like Emmet Malone's Tuesday column.

Magicme
13/09/2006, 10:58 AM
I voted for the Star because at least there is some eL coverage everyday and its one of the only papers who bothers with the first division at all. It keeps the eL in the concious mind of people by having a piece day by day and therefore is an advertisement for the league.

BohDiddley
13/09/2006, 11:36 AM
For once, Peadar's actually right. Their league coverage - especially with regards match reports of a Saturday - is excellent. Don't buy it regularly enough to know if they do any midweek efatures like Emmet Malone's Tuesday column.
Fair enough. I stand corrected.
I was going to say I'd buy it on Saturday just for sport, as a tester, but given the fixture that might not be a good barometer!

Peadar
13/09/2006, 11:41 AM
I was going to say I'd buy it on Saturday just for sport, as a tester, but given the fixture that might not be a good barometer!

Saturday is the perfect day to buy it.
You can test its impartiality on the City 3-0 Bohs game and review the reports on the other fixtures. ;)

Sniffer
13/09/2006, 11:59 AM
Bought Star and Mirror this morning to compare match reports..Mirror covers Sligo/Cork game, no team listings though - and Star has reports on all 5 of last night's fixtures[even after a CL night] of which only the Lims/ Dundalk game has no team listings...can anyone top that?

BohDiddley
13/09/2006, 12:20 PM
Saturday is the perfect day to buy it.
You can test it's impartiality on the City 3-0 Bohs game and review the reports on the other fixtures. ;)
I wouldn't play your strikers too hard in this one. We're in the market for a couple! :p