PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Night

MariborKev
09/09/2006, 5:40 PM
We are all dreaming at the minute but we all have a part to play to ensure the dream lives on.

The countdown has started for Thursday and you need to get yer head into "game" mode. Watch the Gretna game again, watch the Treble winning video, I don't care how you do it, but now is the time to start getting psyched up for the game.

"It is no exaggeration to state that Thursday is going to be one of the biggest nights in the club's history. We, as fans of the club, have a role to play and we need everybody to play their part in the atmosphere for Thursday night."

I wrote this before the Gretna game, but this game is bigger. This is one of the biggest events not just in the history of Derry City FC, but in the recent history of the entire city. When was the last time there were 150 journalists for a "good news" story? Derry City FC are one of the few things creating a positive image for this town and Thursday is the perfect opportunity for us to showcase this, in front of a global audience.

Thursday night shows that we don't have to complain about all the jobs going to Belfast, no motorway, **** rail system, etc etc. You don't see any other Irish teams where we are. We're up there taking on one of the giants of European football, let's make sure everybody remembers the time PSG came to the Brandy.

Stephen Kenny has shown us that we don't need to make excuses for anything, we can take on anyone and show them what a team from Derry is all about. Time and time again he has alluded to be positive effect that the support has on the team so lets crank it up once again and make this another great European night.

"People say that Gretna is a dream, a romantic story, but our story is about supporters saving the club and about community," he said. "Our players grew up with Derry and you can see the passion. One of the things which has given us a tremendous lift in this European campaign has been the number of Derry supporters prepared to travel. It's unique and they deserve so much credit. It shows how much they love the club when we can bring 3,000 people to Scotland. Not just 3,000 supporters, but 3,000 people who are passionate. They give everything of themselves, they're unbelievable."

Fir Park was something special, you didn't even have to be there to appreciate that. So lets make sure we do it all again come Thursday night.

We have all this week to get ready and really blow the roof off the place come Thursday night. Every time we seem to get more and more people involved, but it is no exaggeration to say that this time we need everybody.

The atmosphere has been getting better and better and now we are going to have a TV audience on us.

The board made the decision to keep the game in the Brandywell to give us an edge, and we need to play our part in providing that edge. Don't le
ave it to someone else, it is up to each and every one of us to ensure that we do everything in our power to turn the game for us on Thursday night.

"You have no control over what the other guy does. You only have control over what you do."
-A J Kitt

The usual suspects will be there with flags etc, but everyone can do something for this game and we can each contribute something come Thursday night. There is no point leaving it to someone else, it doesn't get any bigger than this. I have been watching Derry for close to twenty years, and it has never been bigger than this one. Benfica came close, but we have won through two rounds to get this far.

1. Flags: We are gradually expanding the range of flags we have on display and if you have a red and white flag then bring it on Thursday night. I have appealed on here in the past for people who reckon they might have a flag from the 80s in the attic to dust it off and bring it along. Once more, if you have or you know of anyone that has any Derry City related flags, get them out and ready for Thursday night. Foyle No 1, Dupont, all these old SCs that had flags, where did they go? Who has them? Dig them out and bring them along. Anyone else that is thinking about making a flag- get a load of material sew it together and lets make the stadium a blanket of red and white.

We'll probably be in the Brandy from the morning of the game for a few hours making preparations so anyone who can spare a few hours, come on over and they'll be plenty to do. We want to cover every spare inch in flags,banners,

If you have red and white checked GAA flags, bring them along as we need a sea of red and white. These are available in the club shop, come on down and get yours

We'll look at moving the crowd cover the entire length of the Brandy, so if you stick in the blocks that it normally doesn't come near, here what to do.
-Grab it
-Pass it on

2. Confetti: This is something that everyone can do. Spend 20 minutes and tear yourself a bag of confetti for the game on Thursday night. The more people that make the effort the better it is going to look. If you have a shredder in work, steal the shreddings for the next few days and bring them along. There is no excuse for anyone not to bring confetti

3. Till Rolls & Toilet Roll : Again, if you work somewhere that has an excess of till rolls, perhaps you could liberate them for Thursday night. We want a ticker tape explosion as the teams take the field. We have had it before, and we can have it again. I don't care if yer boss/the wife etc moans about the lack of till rolls/bog rolls, this is for a higher cause!

4. Face Paint: Another old favourite. Head to a craft shop, toy shop, and you'll be able to get your hands on some red and white face paint. Any volunteers to do a few hours face painting in Waterloo St prior to the game? Hair Spray is another one.

5. Horns: We had these in Gothenburg and they have appeared last season in the Brandy. If you have some in the house bring them along. Get to the pound shop and buy a load of them. Kevin M has stumped up for a whistle, lets use these to create a cacophony of noise

6. Scarves: I can remember in Fir Park with about ten minutes to go a chorus of "Red Flag" rising up. I was near the back of the centre block and as I looked down, all I could see was a sea of scarves . It was magic and something we can do once again for this game. If you don't have a scarf, or know someone that doesn't, make sure they have one come Thursday.

7. Colour: Red and White used to be the majority colour in the Brandy but it is now the dominant one. It goes without saying that we want everyone in red and white for Thursday. The club shop has plenty of polo shirts etc for people that might be coming to party late. Red t-shirts, coats, wigs, whatever it is, we want everyone displaying the colours come Thursday. As I said before, we aren't Manchester United, Liverpool, Celtic, Barcelona. We are Derry City and we're f**king proud of the fact. Let's show the world just who the hell the Red and White Army.

8. Voice: The most important thing. We have had big performances on and off the field in recent years but we really need to blow the roof of the Brandy off for this one.
- Get there early: Places in the singing blocks are going to be at a premium, so if you are looking for a spot there, I would advise get there 60 minutes before the game. We want to get the atmosphere rocking from early on. Obviously with the ticket situation the singers maybe somewhat spread so we need as many blocks as possible participating to make this game really really special.

- Sing for 180 minutes: It is going to be nervy on Thursday, and hopefully the longer it goes on, the more nervous we get. There are going to be times you don't feel like singing, or the people round you don't feel like singing. Just like the players on the pitch, we need the fans on the top of their game, and to keep going for the whole ninety minutes. It used to be that we just sang during the match. This game we need to be singing long before the game, during half time and hopefully long after the game.

"There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between."
-Pat Riley

It is been mentioned on other threads about a "Red and White Army March" in unison to the ground. If this came off it would be amazing to see a couple of hundred Derry fans marching under the flyover and towards the Brandy. It would need to well organised so that everyone had a drinking up time and knew what the plan was. Gates open at 5.45 so I reckon we would need to leaving 5.20 sharp if this was to come off.

If you have any other ideas get them on this thread..........

We need this message to get out to as many Derry fans as possible. Copy and email, print it, text it, stick it up on Bebo or MySpace, Post it in other forums, Phone people, Stop them in the street. It doesn't matter how we do it, we need to get the message out there for the greatest possible audience. We are still not reaching enough people, maybe the Journal maight be an option?

As I said at the start, the more people involved, the better this is going to be

I'll leave you with the quote below. We all have an emotional involvement in this team, so lets all go that extra mile for Thursday.

"If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning is not very exciting." -- Dick Vermeil

The Rebel Ram
11/09/2006, 10:11 AM
jeez that's a big post!

hoops1
11/09/2006, 11:25 AM
And after all that do you know what will happen
PSG will score after 4 mins:D

DmanDmythDledge
11/09/2006, 4:19 PM
PSG will score after 4 mins:D
So what? It wouldn't shut them up if they were losing 5 or 6 nil.

Great post Maribor.

NY Hoop
11/09/2006, 4:25 PM
Best of luck. The whole league is behind you.

KOH

EnDai
11/09/2006, 4:47 PM
Except for KdjaC! :D

OneRedArmy
11/09/2006, 7:02 PM
PSG will score after 4 mins:DGretna scored first.

And look what happened to them!

akearins
14/09/2006, 10:42 AM
Best of luck tonight boys all true LOI fans are rooting for ye(Sligo Rovers Supporters)

Green Tribe
14/09/2006, 11:46 AM
Go for it Derry! I think 2-1 to Derry :D

red metal
14/09/2006, 11:09 PM
Great result tonight lads!Ye did the league proud and the N West! Sligo Rovers fan!