PDA

View Full Version : UCD 0-0 Pats

DmanDmythDledge
08/09/2006, 10:11 PM
How did we not win???!!!!:mad: Completely overran Pats in the second half, "champagne football" as Kev Ryan put it. Brilliant attacking football. Sammon had a great game, just couldn't bloody finish!! Conan did well when he came on. Only negative is that Mahon was pants in the first half, but thankfully Pats didn't attack enough in the second half to exploit it. Dicker had the Pats centre mid in his pocket yet again, just too good for them at times. Dazza was a bit dodgy, but had a great save from a good Fahey free kick, albeit straight at him, but was at full stretch to push it over the bar.

The switch to Friday night worked wonders for our support and had about 4 times people joining in with the songs. We didn't stop singing for the whole game.

My throat is killing me...

pineapple stu
09/09/2006, 1:42 AM
UCD and Pat's played out one of the more entertaining in their recent sequences of 0-0 draws in Belfield Park on Friday night. The Students will feel the more aggrived at not clinching all three points as they created the better chances over the 90 minutes and, had forward Conor Sammon been on better form, they would surely have won by a goal or two.
With Brian Shortall not being fit enough to make he starting XI, Pete Mahon reintroduced Gary Dicker to the line-up. Mark Rutherford was fit for Pat's, and caused Alan Mahon plenty of problems down the left wing.
St Pat's were the first to threaten, with a couple of shots from distance before Rutherford easily got past Alan Mahon to set up another chance for the Saints. UCD's first real chance came midway through the first half, when Ronan Finn was set free; he set up Conor Sammon, but the Pat's defence were able to clear for a corner. And on the half hour, the same pair combined to set Finn free, but again the Pat's defence kept the Student at bay.
Ten minutes before half-time, UCD were forced into a reshuffle, with Paul Crowley coming off injured. Conan Byrne came on, and UCD moved from a 4-4-1-1 formation to a more attacking 4-4-2 formation. The change paid dividends as the Students gained the upper hand for much of the remainder of the match.
Pat's did threaten twice after the sub, however - again, Alan Mahon pulled out of a tackle on Rutherford only for Quigly to get the faintest of touches on his cross which took it away from the Pat's men at the far post, and the abll was tapped harmlessly wide. Then it was Quigley's turn to gift the visitors a chance, when he let a cross through his fingers, but the resultant shot was blazed over from a narrow angle.
At the other end, UCD had a penalty shout when Pat McWalter went down under a tackle, only for the referee to deem a fair challenge had been made.
Into the second half, and Dicker had a shot wide from the edge of the area before St Pat's won a free-kick 20 yards out, which was well tipped over the bar by Quigley. The action then moved up to the other end of the pitch, where Conor Kenna was narrowly over with a curling effort from 25 yards.
UCD were dealt a blow when their main creative force, Ronan Finn, was subbed off injured after a challenge on a Pat's midfielder which resulted in a booking for the young College player. And not five minutes later, Finn was joined in the book by Derek Doyle after another challenge from behind.
As the game wore on, College started to create some excellent chances. A ball out to the left found Derek Doyle in acres of space; his centre-ball was flicked on by Conan Byrne to Sammon, who took the ball past his marker, but failed to make a proper connection. Shortly after, Sammon was again played through, but tripped over the ball as he lined up his shot. He nearly redeemend himself with a good volley from the edge of the area which was deflected wide for a corner, from which Alan McNally's shot was blocked away.
However, yet another 0-0 was the outcome of this tie, as UCD stretch their record to three defeats (albeit just four wins) in the last 15 games, with a trip to rejuvenated Waterford to come next weekend.
UCD - Quigley; Mahon, Kenna, Crowley (C Byrne 53), McNally; McDonnell, McWalter, Dicker, Doyle; Finn (Shortall 55), Sammon. Subs not used - Kavanagh, Hussey, Ryan
Att - 750

Poor Student
09/09/2006, 9:23 AM
It was a reasonably entertaining game for a 0-0 draw. Both sides carved out chances and could have taken all three points. Sammon was frustrating up front, it seemed his frame is so gangly and awkward that he found it hard to fire a shot at the crucial moment. His hold up play with his back to goal was excellent though. Our eighth draw in fourteen league games (excluding Dub City). That run also includes 3 wins and 3 defeats. The usual story, hard to beat but can't win.

I hope Finn and Crowls aren't too badly injured.

Dodge
09/09/2006, 12:27 PM
How did we not win???!!!!:mad: Completely overran Pats in the second half,

Are you for ****ing real?!?!?!?

Burnsie
09/09/2006, 5:15 PM
can't agree with Dman either... i thought it was a fairly even affair, Pats were well in it and came much closer than we did to winning it. Rutherford was excellent i thought and Fahey's set pieces caused problems too..

Sammon looks the business in the middle third of the pitch, strong, very fast, good in the air and good touch on the ground. But he's woeful in front of goal and for a side that's scored once in seven matches that's a fairly significant defect

Aberdonian Stu
09/09/2006, 5:52 PM
I think you guys have seen too many UCD-Pats games if you found that entertaining.

Lets just say my commentary wasn't overly interesting:D

Poor Student
09/09/2006, 6:53 PM
Rutherford was excellent i thought

That was Mahon's fault. His positioning and general defending was very poor.

Sammon looks the business in the middle third of the pitch, strong, very fast, good in the air and good touch on the ground. But he's woeful in front of goal and for a side that's scored once in seven matches that's a fairly significant defect

Good in the air? Count the amount of headers he wins, you'll find it shockingly low. Sammon needs to learn how to time his leap. He can take a ball into his chest down excellently while holding off a defender but he cannot win anything higher to save his life.

pineapple stu
09/09/2006, 6:58 PM
Sammon's getting better in the air, in fairness. He won more headers last night than I've seen in a while.

Think dmanetc is a bit exuberant when he says he steamrolled Pat's in the second half. That said, I think the Irish Times' report of how "Pat's monopolised the scoring chances in the second half" is utter nonsense. I think a draw was fair, but I thought if anyone was going to win, it'd be us. Pat's had some decent shots, but all from distance, whereas we could get in behind their defence only for Sammon to trip up...

Heard someone saying it'd be a travesty if Pat's scored late on.

Edit - eleven-a-side (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/ucd/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=24389) says it was a disappointing game (don't agree; I enjoyed it, though maybe a neutral would think differently), and notes that UCD failed to get the breakthrough their possession deserved in the second half.

Colie
09/09/2006, 9:57 PM
RTE afterwards made it sound like Pats were all over us. I think we were well on top in the second half & should have won it. Also thought the support was great really hope it lasts even.

DmanDmythDledge
09/09/2006, 10:16 PM
Think dmanetc is a bit exuberant when he says he steamrolled Pat's in the second half.
Ye I was angry after the match. The below comment would make more sense.

RTE afterwards made it sound like Pats were all over us. I think we were well on top in the second half & should have won it. Also thought the support was great really hope it lasts even.
The support was brilliant. In the first half we could be heard all around the ground and the amount of people signing nearly trebled in the second half we must have made some noise. We still need a new song though.

DmanDmythDledge
10/09/2006, 5:58 PM
UCD - Quigley; Mahon, Kenna, Crowley (C Byrne 53), McNally; McDonnell, McWalter, Dicker, Doyle; Finn (Shortall 55), Sammon. Subs not used - Kavanagh, Hussey, Ryan
Att - 750
It was Harte.

pineapple stu
10/09/2006, 6:04 PM
Tony Mac told me Pat Kavanagh was on the bench. I know I saw Daz Ryan and I assume Hussey was there.

DmanDmythDledge
10/09/2006, 6:06 PM
Tony Mac told me Pat Kavanagh was on the bench. I know I saw Daz Ryan and I assume Hussey was there.
I saw Harte warming up before the game so surely he was on the bench?

DmanDmythDledge
12/09/2006, 3:11 PM
Wasn't shown on TV3 even though there was a camera there. Osam could have at least commented on it as he was there, but we were the better side so that hardly was surprising.

Also the Indo's report in Saturday's paper only mentioned one shot on goal by Pats after 25mins.:eek:

Dodge
12/09/2006, 4:50 PM
Honestly thought we were better and desrerved to win. BTW the camera that was there was a Pats fan who covers all our games (registered here too) Usually puts highlights on the Pats website

pineapple stu
12/09/2006, 6:19 PM
Supporting a team is great. It doesn't matter how your team does, you always end up with the same conclusion about a match. :)

Dodge
12/09/2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah, that the ref ripped you off!!!