PDA

View Full Version : Derry City home in League Cup Final

Pages : [1] 2

Dee75
07/09/2006, 11:34 AM
Derry will play Shels at the Brandywell on the 18th Sept in the League Cup Final. Draw made this afternoon.:D

Rory H
07/09/2006, 11:36 AM
heard shels are going to court to appeal it

this means the derry sligo game set for the 17th is postponed..cowards:D

Dodge
07/09/2006, 11:49 AM
Another example of Dublin clubs being ridden rock solid. Has anybody John Delaney's e-mail address?

Rebal Boy
07/09/2006, 12:34 PM
Derry will play Shels at the Brandywell on the 18th Sept in the League Cup Final. Draw made this afternoon.:D

Thats good. I hope Derry win that. Keep as much silverware as possible away from Jackeen land.

pineapple stu
07/09/2006, 12:39 PM
heard shels are going to court to appeal it
Like the way Derry nearly did last year? ;)

Student Mullet
07/09/2006, 1:51 PM
heard shels are going to court to appeal itI don't see the need. Jim Roddy said before last years final that it should be held in a neutral venue or, failing that, the nicer of the two grounds.

If both clubs are in agreement that the game should be moved from the Brandywell, I don't see why it should end up in court.

BohsPartisan
07/09/2006, 1:59 PM
I think it should be played in Dalyer. For a small fee of course. :D

Student Mullet
07/09/2006, 2:01 PM
I think it should be played in Dalyer. For a small fee of course. :DI tought Belfield did a fine job last year. Why move?

BohsPartisan
07/09/2006, 2:07 PM
Come on, give the lads a chance to see a final in the home of Irish football while its still there.

pete
07/09/2006, 2:10 PM
Nice fixture congestion for Derry City.

:D

Student Mullet
07/09/2006, 2:13 PM
Come on, give the lads a chance to see a final in the home of Irish football while its still there.It'll be there for a few years yet. Belfield Park will be seeing diggers in a few months.

BohsPartisan
07/09/2006, 2:38 PM
What are you signing Stephen O Brien?

refjohn
07/09/2006, 2:46 PM
Nice fixture congestion for Derry City.

:D

yeah - we've realised - I think it is fair to say that for any club Euro Success seems to come at a price. I think Derry's first priority will be Setanta qualification, then Euro qualification then we'll go for the treble and if all works out the quadruple:)

wws
07/09/2006, 2:48 PM
you'll win nothing
i guarantee it!

refjohn
07/09/2006, 2:52 PM
you'll win nothing
i guarantee it!

Bit of a strong statement about a team in first final, strong favourites for cup and a point behind with game in hand in the league.:rolleyes:

However with the excitement in Derry at the minute we have won a lot - the Euro adventure has meant a lot to the people of Derry - the rest of this season will be a bonus.

I reckon you will be in the minority in thinking Derry don't get at least one piece of silverware

BohsPartisan
07/09/2006, 2:55 PM
I sincerely hope Derry do clean up this year. Not because I love them and their fantasticly wonderfull supporters but just so Hel, Cork and the Drogs don't win anything.

wws
07/09/2006, 2:56 PM
Bit of a strong statement about a team in first final, strong favourites for cup and a point behind with game in hand in the league.:rolleyes:

However with the excitement in Derry at the minute we have won a lot - the Euro adventure has meant a lot to the people of Derry - the rest of this season will be a bonus.

I reckon you will be in the minority in thinking Derry don't get at least one piece of silverware

too many fronts, history teaches us you'll end up with nowt, just like hitler

BohsPartisan
07/09/2006, 2:57 PM
Its not as if no one has won doubles or trebbles before. Its not as if they're invading Russia with no winter clothing

wws
07/09/2006, 3:01 PM
....or are they?

think about it.

they'll defo screw up!

Krstic
07/09/2006, 3:03 PM
Its not as if no one has won doubles or trebbles before. Its not as if they're invading Russia with no winter clothing

I agree with you on everything but one point.

There's only ever been ONE Treble:D

Strabane_Harp
07/09/2006, 3:08 PM
Will the full ground be open or just the seated area's???

be a shame if Shels thousands of fans couldnt make it :p

Red&White
07/09/2006, 3:09 PM
Will the full ground be open or just the seated area's???

be a shame if Shels thousands of fans couldnt make it :p

Full ground, no restrictions. Reckon we could get 6000 at it.

refjohn
07/09/2006, 3:34 PM

Well..... i f we do get past PSG who isn't to say Russia in December won't happen - and as that would be the 5th Euro trip of season I doubt anyone in Derry would have money to buy any clothes :p

Peadar
07/09/2006, 3:37 PM
Will you manage to play 3 league games this month?
Looks like you'll have a game every 3 nights in October...

BohsPartisan
07/09/2006, 3:41 PM
I knew that word looked wrong. Thanks for that. :p

refjohn
07/09/2006, 3:42 PM
I dont know how we'll get all the games in - I honestly thought the League Cup final should have went to the Wednesday night - so Derry could have played Sligo on the Sunday as planned. Since Shels v Derry was then scheduled in the league on the Friday - we could have pushed that to the Saturday and no one would have lost out - but prob asking too much for the League to realise that.

I also think that the 3 teams in Europe (not INtertoto) should be schedule to play each other weeks of first round games - that way they could play each other earlier in the season and get ahead - not behind. Would take some schedule shuffling and not be a case of reversing last year's games - but someone coudl easily work out better games. if Intertoto 2nd and 3rd round clash with weeks of other Euro games then include them in this theory.

Derry still have to play Drogs 3 times in the league - maybe one game for 9 points?

Aberdonian Stu
07/09/2006, 3:53 PM
I would be very surprised if Derry don't win at least one trophy.

As we are all aware Derry are the only side to do the treble but as far as I am aware Shelbourne are the only team to get a treble of runners-up spots so coming away from the season empty handed is also unlikely if history is anything to go by.

derrymac
07/09/2006, 4:10 PM
Derry have a big squad. Last night several of their first team were rested.
We had a completely different midfield with no Martyn, Deery or Molloy. Forde was rested. No Hargan or Kelly at the back and Kevin McHugh didnt play.
Greta to see Pizza and big Clive back.

Yes we have fixture congestion but i believe we can handle it.

Dazzy
07/09/2006, 4:19 PM
Greta to see Pizza and big Clive back.

You not like Killian who returned last night also.

cheifo
07/09/2006, 4:53 PM
I would expect Derry to win at least one trophy.If not then Felix Healy will still have a better record than Stephen Kenny:p

Red&White
07/09/2006, 6:08 PM
I would expect Derry to win at least one trophy.If not then Felix Healy will still have a better record than Stephen Kenny:p

There's a spur if ever there was one.

derrymac
07/09/2006, 7:51 PM
You not like Killian who returned last night also.

Sorry i forgot about Killian. Though Killian wouldn't be one of my favourites. My ideal midfield is Martyn and Molloy in the centre and Deery on one side and Paddy or McGlynn on the other.

BohsFans
07/09/2006, 11:12 PM
It'll be there for a few years yet. Belfield Park will be seeing diggers in a few months.

Have they started on improving the new ground yet?

Student Mullet
07/09/2006, 11:19 PM
Have they started on improving the new ground yet?Nope, It's still with The Planning Bord. We'll be cutting it pretty close to be open for next year.

Anto McC
08/09/2006, 6:50 AM
Full ground, no restrictions. Reckon we could get 6000 at it.

Seeing as it's the cup final,i assume we get an allocation of 3000 then?

Dodge
08/09/2006, 6:55 AM
LOL at Shels bringing 3,000 to Derry for a midweek league cup game

OneRedArmy
08/09/2006, 7:47 AM
Seeing as it's the cup final,i assume we get an allocation of 3000 then?Absolutely.

Cash on delivery of course.

Shels underhand ploy 4,078: realise you are going to be outnumber by a factor of 100 to 1, so request half the tickets, sell 20 and leave the ground half empty.

The only confidence I would have that you won't do this is that you REALLY need the money this time.

seand
08/09/2006, 8:08 AM
History lesson.....

Saying Derry are the only team to do the treble is like saying Liverpool have never been champions of England cos they haven't won the Premiership. The League Cup has only been around since 1973. Derry are the only team to do the treble since 1973. Before 1973 Rovers (in 24-5, 31-2 and 63-4) and Bohs in 27-8 won the treble of League, FAI Cup and League of Ireland Shield (which was easily as important as the League Cup is now). In fact Rovers also won the City Cup in 63-4 for a quadruple. There have been numerous other trebles that wouldn't be counted as "the" treble, such as Dundalk's in 66-7 (League, Shield, Top Four Cup) and Sligo's in 93-4 (FAI Cup, First Division, First Div Shield).

The big question this year is will Derry win more trophies than Waterford win games?!!

Peadar
08/09/2006, 8:27 AM
Seeing as it's the cup final,i assume we get an allocation of 3000 then?

You would be allocated half of the grounds capacity, not half of what a Derry fan thinks will turn up.

By the way, I think Derry will have a modest crowd, given that many of them will be off to Paris, just over a week later.

OneRedArmy
08/09/2006, 8:36 AM
You would be allocated half of the grounds capacity, not half of what a Derry fan thinks will turn up.

By the way, I think Derry will have a modest crowd, given that many of them will be off to Paris, just over a week later.Peader, do you have a sidebet on how many ridiculous posts you can make per week?

Pray tell why our home attendance would be impacted by a game taking place 10 days later? I doubt many of our fans are cycling to Paris.

BTW we brought 700 fans to Dublin 3 days after our last UEFA cup game.

crc
08/09/2006, 8:36 AM
The big question this year is will Derry win more trophies than Waterford win games?!!
:D :D LOL!

gotta feel just a wee bit sorry for Waterford, though! :(

Peadar
08/09/2006, 9:27 AM
Peader, do you have a sidebet on how many ridiculous posts you can make per week?

Pray tell why our home attendance would be impacted by a game taking place 10 days later? I doubt many of our fans are cycling to Paris.

Just because an opinion differs from your own, doesn't make it ridiculous.

If you get 6,000 fairplay to you but everyone knows that it's a meaningless competition and with a hectic schedule like yours, if people are forced to choose, I'd bet they'll skip this sideshow.

Good luck to you though.
At least it pushes a Setanta Cup spot down the table.

refjohn
08/09/2006, 9:58 AM

By the way, I think Derry will have a modest crowd, given that many of them will be off to Paris, just over a week later.

With the new seats, Brandywell probably is now reduced to 6,000 - 7,000 for non-Euro games.

I thought practice for Cup finals was to look at both teams average attendances and allocated tickets in relation to that - Shels will get aw many as they need - although many will be for terraces.

Brandywell will be full as it has been for every League Cup Final we previously hosted - and the resylt of the UEFA Cup game will be irrelevant. Shels are a big draw in Derry because we love to hate them so much - that alone will bring the crowds out.

OneRedArmy
08/09/2006, 10:02 AM
everyone knows that it's a meaningless competition and with a hectic schedule like yours, if people are forced to choose, I'd bet they'll skip this sideshow.The fact the top two teams in the country have qualified for the final would indicate that the cream has risen to the top.

I'm not going to argue that it is as important as the League or the FAI cup (as we have consistently rested our 1st choice players in each round), but I do know that its a trophy, it gets us into the Setanta and if Cork were in it you sure as hell wouldn't be referring to it as a sideshow.

As for our fans chosing, fortunately its easier for a fan to participate in two matches a week than a player.

Peadar
08/09/2006, 10:04 AM
Shels are a big draw in Derry because we love to hate them so much - that alone will bring the crowds out.

There's always that of course.
Can't see Shels bringing many on a week night and I wouldn't be critical of your fans if they gave this one a miss.
They've shelled out a fair few quid already this season.
£25 into the PSG game and the cost of the trip to Paris is enough without sandwiching this fixture in between and then a trip to Tolka on the 22nd.

refjohn
08/09/2006, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Peadar;531613I wouldn't be critical of your fans if they gave this one a miss.
They've shelled out a fair few quid already this season.
[/QUOTE]

But a good performance and even a result against PSG and we'll have 2000 - 3000 Bandwagoners looking for tickets on the Monday night.

Personally - Paris is looking like a cheap trip for a lot of us - I'm paying about £110 including 2 nights hotel, so what's another £10 - sure the Credit Union in Derry apparently still has a few quid to loan out:D

Peadar
08/09/2006, 10:12 AM
...sure the Credit Union in Derry apparently still has a few quid to loan out:D

Is it true that they've gone 24 Hours these days? :D

Like I said, fairplay if you get a big crowd but I won't be on here having a go if you don't. It's expensive following your team these days and the fixture congestion makes it even more so.

Pats, UCD and Longford can all tell you about poor crowds at LC Finals.

Longfordian
08/09/2006, 10:25 AM
Is it true that they've gone 24 Hours these days? :D

Like I said, fairplay if you get a big crowd but I won't be on here having a go if you don't. It's expensive following your team these days and the fixture congestion makes it even more so.

Pats, UCD and Longford can all tell you about poor crowds at LC Finals.

Well the one in Flancare in 2004 was big by our standards I suppose, around 4,000. 2003 attendance about 2,500-3,000 I think could be wrong

bluemovie
08/09/2006, 10:28 AM
gotta feel just a wee bit sorry for Waterford, though! :(

May I remind you of Football Cliche No.437:

"You're only as good as your last game". :cool:

dcfcsteve
08/09/2006, 10:47 AM
too many fronts, history teaches us you'll end up with nowt, just like hitler

Or alternatively - history teaches us we'll end up with a treble, just like Jim McLaughlin.... :rolleyes:

Minnows like Kildare (though were'nt you Pat's before...?) might panic at the thought of being in multiple tournaments, but the big boys don't. That's why we have a strong enough squad to put out 2 different 11-man teams of quality. Both of which would probably beat your shower (whetehr that be Kildare or Pats....).