PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview

atfconline
21/08/2002, 7:31 PM
Greene’s boys face tough opener

Athlone Town manager Jimmy Greene’s preparations for tomorrow night’s (Thursday 22) opening eircom First Division game against Waterford United at the RSC has been hampered by a number of injuries to his squad.

A total of nine players are struggling to be fit for the league opener, but only Henry Kenny and Adrian Carberry are very doubtful.

Greene’s emphasis is on youth since he took over from Liam Buckley, during the summer and he realises that it could take a while to build a side capable of pushing for promotion.

"I’d be happy with a mid-table finish and hopefully by the time we move into our new stadium in two years, we will be battling for promotion, but with the system being where fourth place is in the play-offs, who knows maybe some of the favourites could slip up," he said.

One of the favourites for the First Division title will be Athlone’s opponents tomorrow night, who have just the one injury worry. Darragh Murphy is definetly out after sustaining a broken arm in the FAI Cup defeat to Derry City.

Manager Jimmy McGeough is confident that his new look side which includes members of last year’s all conquering U21 side can go one step further than last season.

"I feel once we get a bit of consistency under our belt, we will be right up there and I’m confident that we can secure a play-off place at least. Our form in the First Division Cup wasn’t the best and even though we were beaten in the FAI Cup, it could be a blessing in disguise," said the blues manager.

eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com)