PDA

View Full Version : What I am looking for from Stan

RogerMilla
07/09/2006, 8:43 AM
Whether or not you would agree with me that brian kerrs tenure was a disaster for our national team ( not all his fault imo) what cannot be refuted is the fact that we were a top seed when he took over and we are now a fourth seed.

So without any knee-jerk reaction to friendly results and to the hardest away game we will have to play in this campaign what i am looking for from steve staunton is this:-

Short Term
A comprehensive victory over Cyprus away as opposed to our last performance there.
A hard fought win over the Czechs.
An absolute hiding of san marino in the last landsdowne game.

Long Term
An Improvement in our seedings , nothing more, nothing less. If third place in this group is enough to ensure third seeding for the world cup then good and well. If not , then i expect second position from Stan. Sure he is handicapped by the sin of his forebears but what football manager is not when he takes on a job?

The bottom line is man for man we should be capable of giving the czechs , slovaks and welsh a game on any given day. We should also be able to give the germans a run for their money if they have an off day.

There is loads of football to come from us in the group, staunton and SBR must ensure it is better than what went before.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2006, 10:04 AM
I think that's all fair. To nitpick, I'd settle for a narrow but comfortable win in Cyprus, not the near disaster that happened last time. Somethiong like the 2-0 in Estonia under Mick would be OK.

bwagner
07/09/2006, 10:28 AM
We are not going to qualify so an Improvement in our seedings is needed fast.

I want him to get more friendies or training camps or maybe a mini cup thing.

The squad to be revamped something like this

Given
Kenny
Henderson/Supple

Kelly
Finnan
J' O brien
Dunne
st ledger
screch o brien
Mc carthy
Mc Shane
geary

garvin
mc phail
k o' connor from wolves
flood
miller
ireland
quinn
o'****
carsley
g.mahon
douglas

doyle
keane
elliot
rooney

bwagner
07/09/2006, 10:30 AM
with the 2 reids of course

eirebhoy
07/09/2006, 10:43 AM
Whether or not you would agree with me that brian kerrs tenure was a disaster for our national team ( not all his fault imo) what cannot be refuted is the fact that we were a top seed when he took over and we are now a fourth seed.
Again I find myself backing Kerr but Delaney can use this "fact" all he wants, I don't like fans using it. :) With the seeding that we had for Euro 2004 Qualifiers, we'd have got into Pot 2 for the current qualifiers. If McCarthy won 1 of the 2 games against Switzerland and Russia we'd currently be in Pot 3. Kerr did not bring is from Pot 1 down to Pot 4. The fact is we dropped the equivalent of 1 seed under Kerr.

Improving our seeding is crucial but we should still be aiming to get out of this group. Germany aside, no other team is that much better than us so 2nd place has to be the aim. Ukraine are 3rd seeds in the current qualifiers but they were still drawn against the 2 world cup finalists and Scotland. We got a decent draw for 4th seeds and we must take advantage of it. If we're still in with a decent chance of qualification on the final day then I'll be satisfied with Stan.

macdermesser
07/09/2006, 10:47 AM
with the 2 reids of course

no duff?

bwagner
07/09/2006, 10:49 AM
opps yea duffer and murphy, lawerence of sunderland

we need to cast a big net for the midfield

wws
07/09/2006, 11:39 AM
Daryl Murphy is actually whats needed. Bigger and stronger than Keane and Doyle. You cant retain possession in international football with a front outlet of keane.

Dodge
07/09/2006, 12:00 PM
What I'd like from Staunton:

1) Stop picking players based on the evidence of one person. Devlin got O'Brien called up, Ron f***ing Atkinson got St ledger called up. Nothing wrong with calling them up for get togethers etc but for Euro Qualifiers they shouldn't be risked.

2) Stop lying. I still can't believe he had the nerve to say he had McCarthy watched versus Doherty and decided Doherty was better

3) Get a ****ing grip on substitutions. He took off Duff because "something needed to be done". Find out what needs to be done and then do it.

4) Stop trying to be mates with the players. He must be the boss.

5) Do a course of dealing with the media. He's an embarressment at this stage

6) Tell his midfielders EXACTLY where they're playing. If you're on the right, stay on the right. If you're a holding playing, HOLD.

Managing a team of internationals should be the easiest job in the world. They all know how to play football and they all get coached every single day (some by the best coaches in the world). An international manager has two jobs; pick the team and ensure all 10 outfield players know exactly where they are playing and exactly what is required of them. If he does those two simple things right, the rest falls into place

geysir
07/09/2006, 1:22 PM
Good points but the last one assumes a club player can easily come into another set up and perform up to the same standard.

6) Tell his midfielders EXACTLY where they're playing. If you're on the right, stay on the right. If you're a holding playing, HOLD.

What do you think Stan was shouting at the players during the game?
They're like kids when you're back is turned.
In the first half Germany setting up an attack, Ballack was all on his own on the right, totally unnoticed, Finnan had gone on holiday, Stan was shouting for Finnan to cover. It seemed an eternity before one of our other players took notice of the danger.
For much of the game Stan had to shout out basic instructions on positioning.

Dodge
07/09/2006, 1:41 PM
I'm not saying its his fault 100% as I don't think the squad is good enough anyway

osarusan
07/09/2006, 2:15 PM
What I'd like from Staunton.....

1. Resign.
2. Pay a lot of money to get Martin O'Neill from Villa.
3. Resign again, just to be sure.

Billsthoughts
07/09/2006, 4:14 PM
1) make dunne captain
2) grow up when dealing with journalists. they are a fact of life just answer their questions and forget about them.
3) either build a team for the next qualifiers by giving guys games now or try qualify for this one. dont engage in some silly damage limitation/PR excercise like we seem to be doing at the moment.
4) Have a leaving do for Kevin Kilbane.
5) tell keane to stop giving out to referees.
6) Try shooting at opposition goal. it makes it a lot easier to score.

NeilMcD
07/09/2006, 4:15 PM
I agree with you there totally Bill.

endabob1
07/09/2006, 4:18 PM

:D Fantastic, I'll organise a card and a collection

youngirish
07/09/2006, 4:41 PM

4) Have a joint leaving do for Kevin Kilbane and John O'Shea to save on the expense of having a separate one for each.

6) Try shooting at opposition goal. it makes it a lot easier to score.

6)But first try to actually create some space and time to allow somebody to shoot at goal by trying some attacking football that doesn't involve punting it up the pitch from the back or the midfield for our midget strikers to win in the air.

and a 7) Don't be expecting JOS and KK and other such talentless clowns to play total football like the Dutch in the 70s.

billybunter
07/09/2006, 5:18 PM
agree with Bill. The bottom line is San Marino had the same number of shots at germany as we did. how's that for a wake up call!! - Ireland never look like scoring and have not been an attacking threat since saudi arabia in 2002.

Noelys Guitar
07/09/2006, 5:25 PM
Start winning matches. Beat Cyprus. By what score I don't care. Get some sort of winning momentum going. Hard as it is to believe at the moment Stan could turn things around. The problem is I am saying that more in hope than through any hard held conviction. I have nothing to back it up. Other than I still believe we have a reasonably good squad. Good enough to get out of this group. Stan please help me out!

Leeza
07/09/2006, 5:50 PM
1) play O'Shea were he is best - in the heart of defense with Dunne (And make Dunne captain, Keano ain't up for the job)

2) Ian Harte at left back is essential (One of the best players for Levante)

3) Post Kevin Kilbane to the island of Madagascar - one way mind

4) Never, ever, ever, play Keano up front on his own

5) Whats the story with the subs? Bringing duffers off for what ended up to be a player who is two places behind him in the pecking order at Newcastle?

6) take that stupid smile off your face and do a bit of grafting for once.

(Though I've nothing against Stan, he is no international manager. Even in his playing days he was hardly a lion on the pitch. We should have looked for Keano instead)

gustavo
07/09/2006, 8:40 PM
to the OP more importantly What is Stan looking for from you as i heard a rumour he is calling you up to play left wing on the reccomendation of Pat Devlin who say you running for a bus and thought there was a bit of pace about you.

wizzbizz
07/09/2006, 8:58 PM
Stan needs to buy a new suit and haircut and stop looking like some reject 80s wannabee.
l think he should shave the head and talk with a snarl at all times. look at fergusen you know the only time he smiles is just after hes shat all over the oppostion

nedder
07/09/2006, 9:21 PM
What we want from Stan :

3 wins out of next 3 games

A sensible squad selection - Find room for P McCarthy and A Reid

Play players in proper positions if at all possible & sort out the midfield

Get a bit of media training. However this is only a problem when we aren't winning. If we are winning, I don't give a toss.

If Robson isn't fit enough to continue, get Dalglish to replace him.

RogerMilla
08/09/2006, 7:05 AM
yup nedder i think that is a fair summation , three wins could really set the bandwagon rolling , a loss or even a draw in any of them could cause the wheels to come off , wasnt expecting the czechs to hockey the slovaks the way they did, we need to be ready for them

OwlsFan
08/09/2006, 7:14 AM
Ian Harte at left back is essential (One of the best players for Levante))

He must be great so. Staunton has played numerous times with Harte - he knows his massive defensive frailties I suspect more than you do.

Whats the story with the subs? Bringing duffers off for what ended up to be a player who is two places behind him in the pecking order at Newcastle?)

Duff got clobbered late in the name and was limping around the place for a while. He had been ineffective. In fact the one time he got through he didn't go for goal with real venom and was almost waiting for the foul from behind. Big name doesn't mean you're entitled to play 90 minutes if you're not doing the business. I think it was a good and brave substitution. O'Brien almost got round the back twice

Take that stupid smile off your face and do a bit of grafting for once.?)

What does grafting mean. The team he put out against Germany certainly grafted.

We should have looked for Keano instead.?)

We'd need a manager who'd turn up for friendlies.

Dodge
08/09/2006, 9:25 AM
Not being funny but how would you know Harte is one of Levante's best players? Can't remember the Segunda Lilga getting any media coverage at all. Even if he was one of their best players, thats hardly a ringing endorsement, is it?

He's too slow for international football. Good luck to him in Spain and I've nothing against the guy but he's proven he's not up to it at international level. In saying that there's very few options at left back. Kilbane? Nope. O'Shea? Unfortunately not. Danny Murphy? Not good enough. Is Joey O'Brien still injured? He's a fine footballer and IMO a better option at full back than those mentioned

geysir
08/09/2006, 9:54 AM
O'Brien was injured and not considered. Is he a better option at LB than those mentioned? I thought he played on the right side.

Closed Account 2
08/09/2006, 11:00 AM
UEFA have confirmed that Stan will have a one match touchline ban. It will be the Cyprus game that he will miss.

blobbyblob
08/09/2006, 11:20 AM
Were collecting lovely replies here, all very common sense and heartfelt.

What about compiling them all, sticking them in a mail and posting it to the Manager C/O the FAI.

Lets see what response we get.

RogerMilla
11/09/2006, 9:07 AM
about the same response any other constructive criticism gets from them , sweet FAi !!

Emmet
11/09/2006, 11:44 AM
He's too slow for international football. Good luck to him in Spain and I've nothing against the guy but he's proven he's not up to it at international level. I do agree with what you've written there but if dropping Harte means shifting Finnan across and putting Carr at right-back, then I'd rather we did play Harte and keep Finnan on the right. If it comes down to a choice between playing Harte or playing Carr I'd be less worried with Harte!!

RogerMilla
12/09/2006, 3:17 PM
i cant agree , i thought carr played well in stuttgart. we do need a left back though , heres hoping someone steps up and claims it

DmanDmythDledge
14/09/2006, 5:39 PM
To kick more bottles so you will get touchline bans more often:D

Seriously though:

1) Only play O'Shea at LB, CB if stuck

2) Make Dunne captain

3) Bring Paddy McCarthy into the squad

4) Get Alan O'Brien and Kevin Kilbane out of the squad

5) Get the players to do more with the ball rather than giving it to Duff the whole time

6) Try to get a settled team e.g. it's easy to predict the lineup of England

RogerMilla
26/09/2006, 10:01 AM
we wont be giving it to duff this time...
czech game is beyond massive now , were they to win they have secured three points in slovakia and ireland..not good...