PDA

View Full Version : CarrPutz

Scram
06/09/2006, 10:27 PM
I was disgusted when I heard Stan had talked Carr out of retirement. His 4/10 at best for his lack of preformance v Germany was not an off day, he has been both pathetic and apathetic for years. Stan however, in bringing him back has guaranteed him a starting spot.

Constantly out of position, offering less than Finnan going forward and no where close at the back. This combined with lack of spirit and O'Shea like attitude makes for a poor addition to any team. Carr needs to go. Finnan needs to be played at right back.

Finnan, O'Brien, Dunne, Harte/Kilbane or O'Shea (not sure here)

Andy Reid, Carlsley, Steven Reid, Duff

Keane........................Doyle

McGeady on right to sub for Steven Reid with Andy moving to center midfield and Duffer moving forward in a 4-3-2-1 if needs be.

Can't see anything better at the moment.

I'd play Harte or Kilbane at left back before O'Shea.

Armando
06/09/2006, 11:51 PM
I am in no way a fan of Carrs and in fact it annoys me that Finnan never gets to play in his best position at right back, but as much as it pains me to say it I thought Carr was our best outfield player against the Germans. Am I the only one? I would have given him a 7/10.

It was his best performance since Paris where he was also close to being our best outfield player.

tetsujin1979
07/09/2006, 12:05 AM
I am in no way a fan of Carrs and in fact it annoys me that Finnan never gets to play in his best position at right back, but as much as it pains me to say it I thought Carr was our best outfield player against the Germans. Am I the only one? I would have given him a 7/10.

It was his best performance since Paris where he was also close to being our best outfield player.

Yes, you are. Dunne, O'Brien were superior, Finnan and Doyle were at least as good.
Having said that, it was was the best performance I've seen from Carr in a green jersey in some time.

joema
07/09/2006, 1:38 AM
Carr was good enough against Germany tbh but I dont think he deserves to start and certainly hasnt played well for us for a good while and IMO did not earn his place to start against Germany. Finnan is best rb in Prem IMO and deserves to play rb for us,

I would drop Carr and either drop O'Shea or play him at left back - was brilliant for United at lb but has now clearly slipped into the comfort zone - Id give him a massive kick up the árse (along with a few more, eg Liam Miller) and give him one more chance for us - if he fails to deliver again I would tell him thats it fcuk off.

As for Harte Id only play him against San Marino - hes a poor defender and has no pace and cant tackle to save his life. Kilbane is a decent bet at lb

theworm2345
07/09/2006, 3:15 AM
His experience definitely shown through when he kept getting forward and rarely got caught out in back.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2006, 8:01 AM
I'd almost always pick Finnan over Carr at RB and in next two games, fitness allowing, I'd pick Finnan & Harte. However, I think given the job in hand last Saturday Staunton's full back selection was justifiable.

Saturday was Carr's best game for Ireland in ages.

If a defense minded midfield is required, e.g., for a tough away game, I'd actually consider Carr as a RM option, but that's another story.

My worry is that either a deal has been struck, or at lesast that Staunton feels obliged to pick him. It makes perfect sense to have Carr in our squad though, but not as a gauranteed starter. Kelly, Foley, O'Brien etc. still have to prove themselves.

tetsujin1979
07/09/2006, 9:20 AM
I think Carr put in a few shifts for Souness in centre midfield as well, anyone know how he played there, and could he be called on to do a job there for us?

Stuttgart88
07/09/2006, 9:25 AM
could he be called on to do a job there for us? Categorically no!

youngirish
07/09/2006, 9:46 AM
Categorically no!

If we can't get central midfield sorted I'm all for giving Joey O'Brien a serious go in there once he gets himself back in the Bolton team (even if he plays most of the time at right back). This kid has potential and he never looked out of his depth last year for Bolton when he played RB, LB and CM in the Uefa Cup or the Premiership.

Surely he has more going for him than O'Shea and Kilbane (he can pass the ball at least for one and can also put his foot in). Unfortunately the timing of his pre-season injury might mean he has to bide his time before getting back into the Bolton team.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2006, 9:54 AM
I just want central midfielders in central midfield! I'd include Joey O'Brien as I know it's his natural position. He's got to be fit of course.

My pref is for the two Reids in October, but S. Reid & Miller would win my approval too. I'd commend O'Brien's selection as a bold choice.

If we lost at home to the Czechs then maybe a proper rebuilding is required but then again, we've our seeding to look at too.

Just an aside, and maybe it's not fair, but do you think Staunton knows O'brien is actually a midfielder?

dr_peepee
07/09/2006, 1:15 PM
If we play two out and out wingers on either flank in the form of Duff and McGeady, I think Finnan and Carr as they were on Saturday would be a better choice.

youngirish
07/09/2006, 2:03 PM
Just an aside, and maybe it's not fair, but do you think Staunton knows O'brien is actually a midfielder?

Only if he himself told him so. Answer me this does he know O'Shea is a football impersonator and not actually a real footballer?

OwlsFan
08/09/2006, 7:02 AM
I too think Carr stepped up his performance by a few notches and really got stuck in. We have a major problem at left full in so far as we don't have one apart from Harte who was a disaster there in Korea/Japan. Lack of positional sense and pace - deadly for a full back. Stan knows Harte inside out as he's played with him often enough. If he thought he could do the job he'd play him. Kilbane showed against Holland he'd be lost there.

So like it or not there is no alternative to the Carr/Finnan combination.

NeilMcD
08/09/2006, 9:37 AM
Our main problem is not our defence at the moment. The 4 that started against Germany were fine it was what was in front of them that is the main problem.Every problem in the Irish team stems from the fact that we give away possession far too easy from central midfield.

Stuttgart88
09/09/2006, 9:00 AM
Agree with Neil except that I think that not having a natural left footer at left back to overlap just makes it that bit harder for Duff, who already has has a non existent threat from midfield and RM to compensate for.

Which game was it that SBR said our best football came from the left side?

Leeza
09/09/2006, 11:41 PM
Just stop playing O shea in central midfield. There is no footballing or logical reasoning for it.

Colbert Report
10/09/2006, 12:49 AM
Agreed. Not a fan of O'Shea and I'm a huge fan of Harte but O'Shea is clearly a better LB option. My team, if everyone is healthy:

Given
Finnan-O'Brien-Dunne-O'Shea
McGeady-S.Reid-A.Reid-Duff
Keane-Doyle

subs:

Carr, Kavanaugh, Morrison, Doherty, Miller, Harte, Alan O'Brien.

if no one gets injured you can throw on Harte for O'Shea if you are chasing the game. Andy Reid can come off for Kavanaugh and Morrison on if one of our strikers are knackered, maybe Doherty if we are in a big hole and playing the long ball. If Harte is not an option then bring Carr on for O'Shea and switch Finnan to left back.

as_i_say
10/09/2006, 8:38 AM
also agree about o shea. cant understand how someone who plays week in and out for one of the best teams in europe can be so utterly abysmal for his country. he simply needs to be dropped and then maybe he'll realise what he's missing.

harte isnt the best defender but arguably hasnt been given a proper chance since mccarthy left-rem,ember when kerr brought him back in-he didnt do much wrong there, although the carr finnan partnership isnt bad, its just that finnan is so dam consistent that its a better call to have him on the left than right.

playing o shea in center mid is absolutely insane. stephen reid to partner either andy reid or blood a youngster like joey o brien or ireland etc- kilbane (who i am a huge fan of) should not be let near the midfiled unless duff or others are injured but i believe he is a vital squad member.

mcgeady must be given a full and proper chance the same way the likes of kilbane were 7 years ago. its such a shame we dont have 1 really outstanding center mid cos if we did we would be so up there-thats all it would take i think, and of course someone strong to partner richie dunne-i cant see andy o brien lasting the qualifiers if he dosent get a game at portsmouth

my eur 0.02.