PDA

View Full Version : Super Cup

niamh
26/06/2001, 6:27 PM
If I'm remembering right wasn't the Super Cup created to give the Eircom clubs a chance of having a few warm up matches before they had their European matches (among other reasons) and yet again City have played theirs before the competition leaving the other, Dublin, clubs to warm up nicely for their European matches...

James
26/06/2001, 6:37 PM
ah come on now Niamh, the Stupid Cup ( as Mark Herrick calls it ) was indeed created to prepare clubs for europe but the interfloppo cup is hardly a proper euro comp now is it. The uefa and champ league are what it was meant to prepare for and to the best of my knowledge wasnt it created before the Interfloppo was created as a comp?

anyway to have it held before the interfloppo would almost mean having it straight after the end of the season, and where would the sense in that be?
then it would also be way way to early for the other euro qualifiers

niamh
26/06/2001, 6:39 PM
I'm wasn't saying that the Intertoto Cups were more important than other competitions...I'm saying the Super cup is nicely set up for the Dublin clubs more than other clubs as always...

James
26/06/2001, 6:45 PM
ok thats because more Dublin clubs qualify for europe on proportion to the rest of the country

dont get me wrong I hate the dubs as much as the next cork-man but look at the top clubs in the league boez,shels,rovers are all from the pale , outside them there is only us ( with the odd freakish season from the likes of bray or longford or derry in the old days)

rebel yell
26/06/2001, 6:56 PM
Well said James! The Euro results have improved since the Super Cup was introduced. At least it gives match practise. It's up to the non-Dublin clubs to qualify for Europe if they want to be in it.
And when the Dubs are in, its nice to beat them Dubs. I'm surprised none of you noted that it is a chance for Cork now to experiment which the others can't,and wait for it- Gunther has a chance to try out his Tactics and some Young players:rolleyes:

niamh
26/06/2001, 7:03 PM
Gunther to try out tactics? You think :eek:

James
26/06/2001, 7:30 PM
yea every game he bring a copy of either Shoot or Match and tells the players his words of wisdom from them.

Of course Boez and Shels finished ahead of us because roddy and keeely read more grown up mags like 4-4-2 and World Soccer.

Of course Gunther would be more into a mag like 5-4-1 in such a mag existed

Sinéad
26/06/2001, 9:56 PM
James, A freakish season........mmmmm, we'll discuss that tomorrow!!

Éanna
26/06/2001, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by rebel yell
Gunther has a chance to try out his Tactics and some Young players:rolleyes:

He doesn't know what tactics are- Hey Gunther, Are you Mick McCarthy in disguise?!

niamh
27/06/2001, 12:26 AM
Not in disguise, as Mick has that big nose, but definitely related...especially the we're winning so let us now defend in numbers even though we're not very good at it tactic...

Jim Smith
27/06/2001, 8:21 AM
Originally posted by Éanna

He doesn't know what tactics are-

Yes he does. He just can figure out what small minty sweeties in a plastic box have to do with football.

joe
27/06/2001, 8:30 AM
an old one, but a good one, Jim