PDA

View Full Version : Ireland vs. Italy

grounded
06/09/2006, 3:17 PM
Kick off 2.30 Richmond Park 9th September

anyone going and fancy a pint before?:)

Magicme
07/09/2006, 1:05 PM
If was fit to drive would defo be there...hoping our wee Charlene gets on the squad.

Number9
07/09/2006, 1:41 PM
From the FAI website -

Italy are ranked 10th in the World and should provide Ireland with a stern test.

King said: ......“A lot of our regular players will be missing because of club commitments. Many of them are with University teams in America and they are in the middle of their season.” Sunday 10th Sept. is 1st round of Senior Cup
“I’m looking forward to seeing some of the players who have been have been on edges of the squad involved on Saturday, This is our last planned game until next year and it will be a useful exercise.”

He added: “We have a lot of good players coming up through the underage system and they will be vital to us in the forthcoming years.”

Women’s Senior International Friendly
Republic of Ireland v Italy
Saturday 6th September - surely this should read Saturday 9th September
Richmond Park
Kick-off: 2.30 pm

Republic of Ireland Squad
Emma Byrne (Arsenal)
Denise Thomas (Long Island Lady Riders)
Sharon Boyle (Raheny United)
Emma Griffin (Benfica)
Kacey O’Driscoll (UL Limerick)
Meabh De Burcha (Salthill Devon)
Ciara Grant (Arsenal)
Aine O’Gorman (Stella Maris)
Laura Hislop (Predators)
Claire Scanlan (Bristol Academy WFC)
Olivia O’Toolle (Raheny United)
Michelle Walsh (Doncaster Belles)
Grainne Kerins (Drogheda United)
Grace Murray (Dundalk) - Club involved in Senior Cup on 10th Sept.
Janine Pepper (Dundalk FC) - Club involved in Senior Cup on 10th Sept
Susan Byrne (St. Johns University, New York)
Louise Henchey (Lifford) - Club involved in Senior Cup on 10th Sept.

Seems like the FAI/WFAI still have communication difficulties.

Magicme
07/09/2006, 2:13 PM
CHARLENE GRAHAM CALLED UP FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAINING
Monaghan United’s Charlene Graham has received the honour of being called up to the Republic of Ireland Senior Squad for 2 day’s training this week. This is an astonishing feat for the young Monaghan woman who has never played football, other than with family and friends on her housing estate green, until she joined the Monaghan United Ladies team who were only formed in October. So in less than a year of playing football, Charlene has impressed Noel King enough to be called for the training sessions and it is quite likely she will be in the squad for the Republic of Ireland’s friendly against Italy this Saturday and could quite possibly earn her first cap.

Coach Chris McBride said “I was delighted when Charlene got called up. She is one of our strongest players & consistently works hard at her game. She is an inspiration to all female footballers & the rest of the girls can aspire to similar success”

Good Luck Charlene, all of Monaghan are behind you.

Numero
07/09/2006, 6:24 PM
Well it would be welcome to have new additions - but many potential international standard players are omitted from the squad. Yes from what I know sometimes girls are called up to train with squad, but this usually is because word has reached the manager that they are good - as opposed to him or a women's soccer FAI scout watching players (and am not referring to the Monaghan Utd player because I dont know the details there).

Magicme
08/09/2006, 9:09 AM
Well it would be welcome to have new additions - but many potential international standard players are omitted from the squad. Yes from what I know sometimes girls are called up to train with squad, but this usually is because word has reached the manager that they are good - as opposed to him or a women's soccer FAI scout watching players (and am not referring to the Monaghan Utd player because I dont know the details there).

As far as I remember Noel did see Charlene play and had heard from a few sources about her. As you say tho it doesnt really mean anything big yet but we were just delighted that a girl who had never played football before but is so naturally talented has been recognised. Its an honour for her, the team, the management and the club.

Numero
08/09/2006, 10:36 AM
Absolutely, fair play to her