PDA

View Full Version : Free Derry BBC1 tonite 10.40pm

Strabane_Harp
06/09/2006, 12:04 PM
Anyone with an hour spare time tonite should catch this documentary

'Free Derry no go area' is by award winning Vinny Cunningham (also a well known derry city fan)

His previous Documentary was 'Battle of the Bogside' which was well received all over.

Should be a pretty good show.

Block G Raptor
06/09/2006, 2:28 PM
Will Do. have real interest in anything to do with Irish History, particularly the troubles and especially Derry
cheers SH

Strabane_Harp
06/09/2006, 3:51 PM
His battle of the bogside documentary was excellent because it did wat is rarely done in local documentarys, went to both sides and got there stories told. went to local characters as well as politicians.

If this one is half as good it will be well worth recording.

holidaysong
06/09/2006, 9:34 PM
I seen 'Battle of the Bogside' on BBC1 the other night. Will tune in for this one too.

Strabane_Harp
07/09/2006, 9:04 AM
I enjoyed this show. Dispelled alot of myths that have grown up around 'free derry'.

Amazing how a group of for the most part unarmed men held back a heavily armed police force and the b specials. Even the british army didnt try to enter.

No doubt another chance for a documentary will be for the Internment time

paul_oshea
07/09/2006, 10:24 AM
Amazing how a group of for the most part unarmed men held back a heavily armed police force and the b specials. Even the british army didnt try to enter

can you explain more?

Strabane_Harp
07/09/2006, 10:49 AM
Paul, you gotta see it, the people involved with the Derry Citizens Defence were on giving there views on it Paddy 'Bogside' Doherty, Eamonn McCann and Bernadette McAliskey.

They basically created there own state and ran it themselves, even had the british home secretary visit them.

cheifo
07/09/2006, 1:42 PM
I really liked the way it mixed comedy with the serious stuff.Eamon McCanns story about how someone complained to the Army(who took complaint seriously) that a helicopter had invaded Free Derry "airspace" was hilarious.
Another had relations named Gunn"s who were coming over from America.After he got off the phone he called over to his mother "the Gunns are coming from America "which was over heard and caused pandemonium through the city.Good show

Strabane_Harp
07/09/2006, 3:05 PM
not forgetting the great toffee apple or cs gas debate

which caused the diahroea :p

holidaysong
09/09/2006, 12:42 PM
Very good show. Humour and History - I like it.