PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Deal

eoinh
20/08/2002, 2:20 PM
ok i know it was mentioned elsewhere but rtes deal with the rugger boys is scandelous. just because the head boys at rte are rugger boys should not be the reason to make a commercial decision. the ail is going to get comphrensive coverage. i have yet to see a goal from the eircom league on tv yet. the time is over we have to take action! it will be good to see matchs from Terenure with 20 people at it. MAYBE THE EIRCOM LEAGUE COULD GET MORE ATTENTION BY BARRING ALL WORKING CLASS PEOPLE FROM THEIR GAMES AND GIVING FREE ENTRY TO THE MIDDLE CLASSES IN DUBLIN 4. IT WOULD BRING BACK RTE ANYWAY.

BTW I PAY MY LICENSE FEE SO I SUBSIDISE THEIR CRAPPY COVERAGE.

Schumi
20/08/2002, 6:17 PM
While the RTE hierarchy's interests probably have a part in this, the IRFU actually give a $hit about their club competitions and presumably insisted on the AIL coverage. I'd be interested to see what the retings are for that, the crowds aren't that far behind most EL clubs and the interest in the ERC might lead to people watching it. Let's face it provincial rugby gets big crowds, far more than any non-internatonal football. Maybe the AIL will be popular.

pete
21/08/2002, 9:17 AM
First of all the eL was part of the previous RTE/FAI deal. Secondly the AIL gets no crowds at all sicne the ERC has taken off. AIL facilities make places like Monaghan look good. I', guessing 2,000 would be a large AIL crowd even in Limerick these days.

Whether RTE now have more money for the IRFU is besides the point - Rugby tv viewing figures for both club & country won't get anywhere near soccer/football viewing figures.

The previous head of rte sport was a major rugby fan & the current head of sport shares the same surname.