PDA

View Full Version : Platini (not) to assist in Cup draw

sligoman
04/09/2006, 4:23 PM
France legend Michel Platini will assist at Wednesday evening’s draw for the quarter-finals of this season’s FAI Carlsberg Cup:eek:.

The draw, which will be screened live on RTE’s Six-One News, takes place at the Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Club.

Platini is in Ireland in a bid to learn English in preparation for his challenge for the Uefa presidency next year.

The 51-year-old won 72 senior caps for France in an 11-year international career, and remains his country’s highest scorer with 41 goals.

The FAI Carlsberg Cup quarter-finals include five Premier Division sides, two from the First Division as well as Leinster Senior League outfit Killester United, who received a bye to the last eight following the demise of Dublin City during the summer.

Derry City are the bookmakers’ favourites – the Candystripes are still in the running for a domestic treble of League, Cup and League Cup, while they can also look forward to a Uefa Cup first round date with Platini’s countrymen, Paris St Germain, later in September.

FAI Carlsberg Cup quarter-final participants:

Athlone Town
Derry City
Killester United
Longford Town
St Patrick’s Athletic
Shamrock Rovers
Sligo Rovers
UCD

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/faicup/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=24317

bluemovie
04/09/2006, 5:08 PM
The Sunday Times said Platini is in Ireland for the next two weeks to earn support for his UEFA election campaign and to "improve his English" (Jaysus, I seen a deadly game o' ball in Dalyer). It'll be interesting to see if the FAI bring him to many league games.

Poor Student
04/09/2006, 5:23 PM
A bit off topic but I remember Platini saying that if he became UEFA President he would abolish the Champions League in favour of a 256 team unseeded knockout competition.

His presence at the draw can't do any harm, can only help draw a bit more attention.

Raheny Red
04/09/2006, 5:24 PM
Great stuff to see him helping out. BTW Killester are not in the LSL but the AUL!

dcfcsteve
04/09/2006, 7:48 PM
Good coup by the FAI here. They didn't have to rope him into this, so credit where credit is due, and it's a nice wee bit of kudos for the Cup.

Would be good to see a proper football person like Platini at the helm of UEFA - and eventually FIFA - rather than the greasy politicos that run football worldwide at the moment.

DmanDmythDledge
04/09/2006, 9:28 PM
I think it's stupid that they brought someone with no connection with the Eircom League to participate in the draw. Don't think it makes a difference whether or not the draw gets more attention as it's only the draw. Once the quarter-finals are well advertised that shouldn't be an issue.

Student Mullet
04/09/2006, 9:32 PM
I think it's stupid that they brought someone with no connection with the Eircom League to participate in the draw. Don't think it makes a difference whether or not the draw gets more attention as it's only the draw. Once the quarter-finals are well advertised that shouldn't be an issue.I think you have to have someone not connected to the eL. Otherwise the draw's not really independent.

pineapple stu
04/09/2006, 9:33 PM
I think Ollie Byrne should conduct the draw.

LeixlipRed
04/09/2006, 9:45 PM
Ollie already stole all the balls. Has em packed up in a horse cart right now. The Guards are still looking for Shergar, right?

dcfcsteve
05/09/2006, 12:21 AM
Ollie already stole all the balls. Has em packed up in a horse cart right now. The Guards are still looking for Shergar, right?

Just like Ollie to take the ball(s) if he can't play with the other kids....... :D

Dodge
05/09/2006, 9:26 AM
I think Ollie Byrne should conduct the draw.

Jeez, how naive are you? He already has...

pineapple stu
05/09/2006, 12:46 PM
So did Shels draw Derry again to get a big crowd?

Harsh on Killester to be kicked out to make way really.

bluemovie
05/09/2006, 1:10 PM
That didn't last long.

Platini unable to partake in Cup draw

September 5, 2006

France legend Michel Platini will be unable to play a part in Wednesday evening’s FAI Carlsberg Cup quarter-final draw in Portmarnock, the Association has revealed.

Platini, who scored a record 41 goals in 72 internationals and won three successive European Footballer of the Year awards in the 1980s, had been lined up to conduct the draw at Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Club.

However, he has been forced to return to France earlier than anticipated and will not be present for Wednesday’s draw.

from eleven-a-side.com

Raheny Red
05/09/2006, 1:30 PM
Ollie's plan working nicely :p :p

LeixlipRed
05/09/2006, 10:09 PM
"And we present to you, Michel Platini"
(enter Ollie with badly made wig and France jersey on)