PDA

View Full Version : Fai Setup Or Not?

casso36
04/09/2006, 12:43 PM
I believe that the FAI have set Staunton up, knowing that the youth coming through the system was not up to scratch and knew that qualification for the next tounament was an impossible task!!!

Anyone agree!!!

drinkfeckarse
04/09/2006, 12:57 PM
Have you been reading the conspiracies thread :rolleyes: To be fair, the FAI wouldn't have the intelligence to put together a "sting"....

bwagner
04/09/2006, 1:00 PM
Maybe , but i will say this they are running this team into the ground
did anyone see the star today , in which stan is clowning behind ray hougthon's back...is this guy a retard????

stan a yes man and a cheap ooption
robson will not b able to help us ( not to his own fault but the fai should of got vennebles)

Declan_Michael
04/09/2006, 1:04 PM
some crazy threads doing the rounds here at the moment. If we could qualify from a group containing Holland and Portugal for 2002 then why is 08 impossible? Its effectivly the same squad save Roy Keane.

Peadar
04/09/2006, 1:16 PM
I had been thinking along these lines myself but more to do with the FAI not spending money on a proper manager because they knew it would take years to build up a good team again.

DannyInvincible
04/09/2006, 1:23 PM
did anyone see the star today , in which stan is clowning behind ray hougthon's back...is this guy a retard????

He was caught doing that by the camera in front of Houghton on Saturday night. He thought he was behind the camera. Dear lord. Bill actually commented on it, describing Staunton as being in a relaxed mood, ha.

Irish_Praha
04/09/2006, 3:37 PM
some crazy threads doing the rounds here at the moment. If we could qualify from a group containing Holland and Portugal for 2002 then why is 08 impossible? Its effectivly the same squad save Roy Keane.

Well MF was our worst area the other night and Keane, Holland and Kinsella where all in their prime for the 2002 qualifiers, thats why Carsley couldn't get a game. Any of those 4 players would have been an improvement on Kilbane on Saturday.

casso36
05/09/2006, 8:08 AM
I had been thinking along these lines myself but more to do with the FAI not spending money on a proper manager because they knew it would take years to build up a good team again.

Exactly Peadar!!!!!

Ozymandias
05/09/2006, 9:19 AM
Does anyone else cringe at stauntons press interviews...i accept that he is manager of the Irish team (wouldn't have been my choice but he is and I'll get on with it)....but surely he has an obligation as manager to explain or give an insight into his reasoning or tactics....Asked by con murphy before the game on rte tv about the format and shape of our midfield he answered that there are four of them...that was it.........He was asked a genuine question about why he took Duff off ..he said he just wanted to change things...now in fairness that is cringe stuff...i had no problem with him taking duff off if he had a tactical switch or formation change or even a valid reason ..but to say that he just wanted to change things just screams at me me a lack of self confidence and to somewaht incompetence...staunton is going to alienate himself from the media completely and that can only be a bad thing for him in the long run..the people tuning in have a right to get an opinion from our national manager.....god help us is all I can say...heres praying fro a road to damascus turn around

drummerboy
05/09/2006, 9:41 AM
His appointment will have tragic effects on Irish international football. For the first time in many many years we will be out of contention for qualification by the time we get to play Wales in March. I can see a lot of empty spaces in Croke Park for that game. Delaney has been a disaster for Irish football. It was his call. He assured us we would have a world class manager to manager our team. We got the assistant reserve team manager of Walsall. We are paying for that now. The Buck stops with Delaney. Stauntons behaviour is an embarrassment. He is obviously under pressure and having no experience of such pressure will suffer even more. The man served Ireland well as a player, he should never have been given the job.

Peadar
05/09/2006, 9:49 AM
Some quotes from Alex Ferguson about Roy Keane.

"Roy must have rung me up half a dozen times already in the first week at Sunderland," revealed Ferguson in The Mirror.
"The first thing he said was 'I never thought it would be like this. I've never been off the phone'.
I said: 'I told you it's a difficult job'.

"I've spoken to him several times and I said the same thing to him that I said to my other former players like Steve Bruce. I said you've got to deal with and navigate the problems of today like player power, agents and the media.
"Some players think they know what it's like to be a manager but they don't know, they can't do. You've got to be prepared to learn and you've got to find a way to enjoy it."

No somehow, I don't get the impression that Staunton has any idea what it's like to be a manager. He thinks that being "one of the lads" will get him more respect with the players. That wont last long when they see that he hasn't a clue what he's doing.

Dodge
05/09/2006, 10:04 AM
The whole thing boils down to Delaney not getting his man when Kerr got the job, Its common knowledge that he voted for Bryan ****ing Robson to get the job when the rest of the board voted for Kerr. Since then he did everything to get him out of the job (leaking fake stories to his journo buddies) and he was so caught up in getting rod of Kerr he didn't realise no one else wanted the job. And those who might want it wouldn't work for as little as the FAI were willing to pay. Staunton wanted the job and had that all important premiership experience that Delaney craves so he got the job.

And this isn't even a conspiract theory

drinkfeckarse
05/09/2006, 10:30 AM
Does anyone else cringe at stauntons press interviews...

Yes, I've mentioned before that I expect a little bit more than the standard phrases. I want a little bit of technical insight into his decisions but his communication skills are terrible and that could transfer itself onto the training pitch.

He hasn't endeared himself to me so far but I don't like the way the "Walsall assistant reserve team manager" thing is banded about. That is not his fault and plenty of people have taken International management jobs without having previous experiance.

He is unfortunate in that respect as it might have sounded better if he hadn't been in employment rather than a low profile job because it will constantly be brought up.

If he is a spoofer, it won't be long before the players see through it and the whole thing becomes a shambles.

drummerboy
05/09/2006, 10:42 AM
The players have already showed a lack of respect towards Stan. The four high profile players that didn't make themselves available for the Holland game through “injury” all turned out for the respective clubs the following weekend. You may argue that it was the beginning of the premiership on the following Saturday and the players were taking precautions but the same applies for the Dutch squad who almost to a man all turned up for the international team in Landsdowne Road.

I'm probably being a little hard on Stan, who is a decent man. As a matter of interest does anyone know what coaching qualifications he has.

Kingdom
05/09/2006, 1:02 PM
The players have already showed a lack of respect towards Stan. The four high profile players that didn't make themselves available for the Holland game through “injury” all turned out for the respective clubs the following weekend. You may argue that it was the beginning of the premiership on the following Saturday and the players were taking precautions but the same applies for the Dutch squad who almost to a man all turned up for the international team in Landsdowne Road.

I'm probably being a little hard on Stan, who is a decent man. As a matter of interest does anyone know what coaching qualifications he has.

I don't think you are Drummerboy, you've a fairly decent knowledge of the game and some of the points you raised in earlier posts are on the money.

An aspect that I look at it the recent interview with Kilbane(could have been after the Chile match). He was challenging Stan's opinion that he would have enough time with the team and that his instructions were being followed by the squad. I remember Kilbane saying that the squad weren't understanding his instructions and that it would take time.

People seem more annoyed that Staunton was selected as manager as opposed to p*ssed off with him personally because he's manager.

Not playing an extra friendly this week or a couple at the start of the summer could come back to bite Staunton in the ar*e (the latter already has proven to be a case in point).
One of my gripes is that he doesn't seem to know what he's doing. He's taking advice from all and sundry and then putting people into squads who arguably are unworthy of the honour. To the extent that Alan O'Brien made his debut on Sat. He touched the ball 4/5 times and didn't control it correctly once. Sean St. Ledger was brought into the squad for no reason except he was on "Celebrity Big Footballer". Ok, tongue in cheek there but my point would be this. Have a friendly this weds, play Paddy Mac and Sean St Ledger. See what they're up to. Play Terry Dixon, cap him, get it over and done with, move on.
This lark of just giving clichés in the press conferences, not explaining subs or tactics, and generally giving off the notion that you're clueless won't wash with the public for long.
With the last manager, people knew what he was doing (re:tactics/squad selection) its just that what he did, he didn't do right. With Mick Mac again, his press conferences were usually alright, he was straight up about things.
Staunton needs to work on his communication big time if he wants to have breathing space if/when things go wwrong.

drummerboy
05/09/2006, 2:44 PM
I think Delaney was trying to implant a Gaelic type manager, who would give a blood curdling, rebel rousing team talk which would have the players kicking down the doors to get out on the pitch and play for their country. Unfortunately for us, international football is a little more complex than that, and when changes were needed to alter the course of the game, Stan was simply bemused as to how to influence the game. Someone once said that you live and die by your substitutions. I let you judge him by his. But like I said I don't blame Stan, I blame Delaney. No passionate player is going to turn down the chance to manager their country.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but Delaney is the man
• who admitted that one of his prime motivations in becoming involved in the FAI was to avenge the treatment of his father, who was dismissed after the ticket debacle in Italia 90
• said on live tv that if the Genius Report was not implemented in 12 months he would resign. it wasn't and he didn't
• told the nation that he would appoint an world class international manager for our international team. Hence we got the assistant reserve team manager of Walsall
• The ManU infatuated man single-handedly started undermining Kerr after his own candidate Bryan Robson wasn't selected

I really thought we had got the right man in Fran Rooney to bring the game forward in Ireland but he too fell foul of Delaney. The great surviver of Irish football, Delaney will probably rein for years to come. The thought of it.

pete
05/09/2006, 6:49 PM
There is no reason for the FAI to deliberately sabotage as TV & sponsorship monies will drop through the floor when results fall & they need a good run to maintain the redevelopment of Lansdowne.

gspain
05/09/2006, 7:00 PM
I can't believe Staunton has been setup. It wouldn't serve any purpose. He was Delaney's choice because he impressed Delaney. For me the jury is still out.

As for Kerr he had to go. He clearly had lost the dressingroom. Just because we may have picked the wrong man to replace him does not eman we should have kept him.

Dodge
05/09/2006, 7:27 PM
How had he 'clearly' lost the dressing room? Some players lamented his departure? What happens the next time one or two players don't like the manager?