PDA

View Full Version : Slovakia - Czechs live on TV

Pages : [1] 2

Paulie
04/09/2006, 12:28 PM
The Slovakia - Czech Republic match is live on Setanta Ireland this Wednesday. A draw or even a Slovakia win would do me.

Closed Account 2
04/09/2006, 12:39 PM
A draw is the ideal result, and I think that is a likely outcome. A draw means, come october, that we are not that many points off second (4 points). Where as a win for either would put them on 6 points, with the Germans almost certain to be on 6 too (they play San Marino).

Fingers crossed for a 0-0 draw and a few yellow cards too. ;)

eirebhoy
04/09/2006, 1:18 PM
I find it very hard to watch a match when you're hoping for a draw. You're basically hoping to see a dull game with no goals. :)

Forever Dreamin
04/09/2006, 5:01 PM
I find it very hard to watch a match when you're hoping for a draw. You're basically hoping to see a dull game with no goals. :)

watch a different match :D :D

shakermaker1982
04/09/2006, 6:05 PM
I think a draw is the best result for us. 1-1 is my prediction.

eirebhoy
06/09/2006, 6:46 PM
Czechs are winning 2-0 after half an hour. Rangers midfielder Sionko with both goals.

Germany unchanged from Saturday.

Junior
06/09/2006, 7:05 PM
bloody blocked in the UK!!!!!!!

ruben_sosa
06/09/2006, 7:14 PM
is Stauton over there watching this game? seeing as we're not even playing a friendly tonight, i'd like to think he isn't sitting on his arse...he'll have lots of time for that when he's banned from the touchline at our next game.

Dodge
06/09/2006, 7:34 PM
Czechs running riot. 3-0 up and cruising. Slovaks poor enough but Czechs look super. Seems people wrtining them off too soon

eirebhoy
06/09/2006, 7:35 PM
Czechs running riot. 3-0 up and cruising. Slovaks poor enough but Czechs look super. Seems people wrtining them off too soon
It just shows as they haven't got the greatest bunch of players in the world.

centreforward
06/09/2006, 7:43 PM
With the Czechs 3 up and Germany 5 - San Marino 0 so far.Looks like goal difference will play a major part in qualifications.Well really need to start putting the chances away against the weaker teams if we are to stand any chance of getting through the group.

eirebhoy
06/09/2006, 7:48 PM
Germany are 6-0 up at half time. Podolski hattrick, Klose with 2 and Ballack with the other. I can't wait to play San Marino. :)

Dodge
06/09/2006, 7:49 PM
TBH I wouldn't have classed Slovakia as one of the weaker teams. We'll be doing well to get a result there never mind worrying about goal difference

Sligo Hornet
06/09/2006, 8:08 PM
Germany are 6-0 up at half time. Podolski hattrick, Klose with 2 and Ballack with the other. I can't wait to play San Marino. :)

Me too...........we might get a point!!;)

Sligo Hornet
06/09/2006, 8:10 PM
With the Czechs 3 up and Germany 5 - San Marino 0 so far.Looks like goal difference will play a major part in qualifications.Well really need to start putting the chances away against the weaker teams if we are to stand any chance of getting through the group.

WE are one of the weaker teams, don't forget!!:( .........or are we ?

harpskid
06/09/2006, 8:19 PM
German's now 11-0 up :ball:

Soper
06/09/2006, 8:19 PM
11 - 0 to Germany now

Fergie's Son
06/09/2006, 8:25 PM
11-0....damn.

concanta
06/09/2006, 8:28 PM
These results make it even more imperative that we beat the czechs at home
What we need is Andy Reid in midfield, we need a good crowd, we need passion we need to fight for our lives and we have a chance

otherwise we are well and truly in trou ble

strangeirish
06/09/2006, 8:32 PM
England are hammering Macedonia 1-0...:D

Metrostars
06/09/2006, 8:35 PM
13-0 now, the last one was a penalty. Lehman even came up to take it but then changed his mind. Sneider took it in the end.

The Legend
06/09/2006, 8:37 PM
Germany 13-0 ... ouch! That's how u put away a minnow

eirebhoy
06/09/2006, 8:51 PM
13-0 now, the last one was a penalty. Lehman even came up to take it but then changed his mind. Sneider took it in the end.
San Marino asked him not to take it. :D

beautifulrock
06/09/2006, 9:01 PM
13 - 0, very impressive...Lucas P. scores 5

DeNiro
06/09/2006, 9:35 PM
There was a pretty heated debate on Setanta after the game between Lou Macari and Pat Dolan. Macari was backing Kerr to the hilt, no surprise given that Kerr got him a job with FAI. Dolan reckoned that anything less than a win in Cyprus will see Staunton out the door! But one interesting situation would be if Bobby R is back and goes on the line for the two games and we win the two. How much would that undermine egghead Staunton sitting in the stands?

eirebhoy
06/09/2006, 10:29 PM
There was a pretty heated debate on Setanta after the game between Lou Macari and Pat Dolan. Macari was backing Kerr to the hilt, no surprise given that Kerr got him a job with FAI. Dolan reckoned that anything less than a win in Cyprus will see Staunton out the door! But one interesting situation would be if Bobby R is back and goes on the line for the two games and we win the two. How much would that undermine egghead Staunton sitting in the stands?
Completely off topic but Macari also said before the match that Kerr sent him to watch Alan O'Brien in a reserve match and he was nowhere near ready.

onenilgameover
06/09/2006, 10:33 PM

Did this actually happen?

Did he bottle it or what?

Massive pressure I'd imagine...:cool:

eirebhoy
06/09/2006, 10:54 PM
Did this actually happen?

Did he bottle it or what?

Massive pressure I'd imagine...:cool:
San Marino players asked him not to take it. Seriously. They didn't want to be made feel more of a laughing stock than they are atm. :)

sligoman
06/09/2006, 11:01 PM
San Marino players asked him not to take it. Seriously. They didn't want to be made feel more of a laughing stock than they are atm. :)That is classic, would love to have seen them pleading with him:D.

tetsujin1979
06/09/2006, 11:42 PM
I would have asked him to stick it in the crowd!!

Stuttgart88
07/09/2006, 8:17 AM
There was a pretty heated debate on Setanta after the game between Lou Macari and Pat Dolan. Macari was backing Kerr to the hilt, no surprise given that Kerr got him a job with FAI. Dolan reckoned that anything less than a win in Cyprus will see Staunton out the door! But one interesting situation would be if Bobby R is back and goes on the line for the two games and we win the two. How much would that undermine egghead Staunton sitting in the stands?I'm going to subscribe to Setanta over here, risking the wrath of the missus. I'm starved of any kind of media debate on Irish football, hence the ridiculous amt of time I spend on here!

shakermaker1982
07/09/2006, 8:22 AM
I didn't expect the Czechs to win by 3. Christ we are 6 points behind already - beating the Czechs at home is essential now IMO.

Dublin12
07/09/2006, 8:27 AM
Did anyone hear how many times Lou Macari referred to The Czech Republic as Czechoslovakia:rolleyes:

Dublin12
07/09/2006, 8:29 AM
I didn't expect the Czechs to win by 3. Christ we are 6 points behind already - beating the Czechs at home is essential now IMO.

We need to win by a good score in Cyprus and beat the Czechs to keep in touch with the group.

Istabraq
07/09/2006, 8:51 AM
For all the ****ing and moaning that the FAI apparantly do at these group meetings to decide when they play each other, they got it badly wrong this time imo. Lets face it, we could be out of the championships by October the way things stand. If we lose to the czechs at home we will effectively be 9 points behind them. The Germans will be out of sight, and our only hope would be a best place play off (not even sure how that is working this time around).

shakermaker1982
07/09/2006, 8:56 AM
I'd have made sure we had San Marino at home first for a confidence booster!!!

paul_oshea
07/09/2006, 9:01 AM
i thought first and second qualify this time round? or am i wrong?

shakermaker1982
07/09/2006, 9:06 AM
i thought first and second qualify this time round? or am i wrong?

your correct - first two. Germany have nabbed one spot already by the looks of things.

youngirish
07/09/2006, 9:16 AM
We are fooked. Slovakia getting hammerred by their neighbours the Czechs was the worst possible result for us. I was hoping they would be up for it considering it's basically a derby match and that they would play out of their skins and take more points of the Czechs than us.

I believe the Welsh will be more up for beating us than any of the others so things don't look good at this early stage.

Stuttgart88
07/09/2006, 9:18 AM
For all the ****ing and moaning that the FAI apparantly do at these group meetings to decide when they play each other, they got it badly wrong this time imo. Lets face it, we could be out of the championships by October the way things stand. If we lose to the czechs at home we will effectively be 9 points behind them. The Germans will be out of sight, and our only hope would be a best place play off (not even sure how that is working this time around).

We actually have most of the tougher games later in our schedule, the more marginal games that are far more likely to determine where we finish - Slovakia away, Czechs away, Germany at home and Wales away, and these games are a year away.

No matter when we played Germany away we'd have been outsiders. By this stage you'd hope (but wouldn't be confident) that we've established our best XI, and are used to the demands of the new management.

It's all doom & gloom, but in my opinion we played far better on Saturday than we did in Lisbon in October 2001 when we were second best until a speculative effort from Holland went in.

And as pointed out already, there's no play off spot.

endabob1
07/09/2006, 9:22 AM
We are fooked. Slovakia getting hammerred by their neighbours the Czechs was the worst possible result for us. I was hoping they would be up for it considering it's basically a derby match and that they would play out of their skins and take more points of the Czechs than us.

I believe the Welsh will be more up for beating us than any of the others so things don't look good at this early stage.

I tend to agree with this, I had hoped because of the history these games would be very tight but the Czechs winning 3-0 away is not a good sign. Having said that Wales made them look very average at the weekend so maybe all is not lost.....those positive thinking clases are starting to kick in I think :D

Stuttgart88
07/09/2006, 9:24 AM
Last night's result was a disaster for us alright but I can't see the timing of the fixtures being responsible.

Regardless of the timing of our fixtures, the Czechs have already got 3 points from games against each of Slovakia and Wales. They're likely now to get 6 in total from Slovakia. I'd be amazed if we can match that.

Beating the Czechs is imperative and we'll also need a first good away win in 20 years to have a chance.

youngirish
07/09/2006, 9:40 AM
Last night's result was a disaster for us alright but I can't see the timing of the fixtures being responsible.

Regardless of the timing of our fixtures, the Czechs have already got 3 points from games against each of Slovakia and Wales. They're likely now to get 6 in total from Slovakia. I'd be amazed if we can match that.

Beating the Czechs is imperative and we'll also need a first good away win in 20 years to have a chance.

I think yesterday proved that if we want to qualify we'll have to stop the Czech's from doing so. Bar a miracle Slovakia are almost already gone IMO. How often can you qualify from these things if you get hammerred 3-0 at home by one of your rivals? Wales aren't good enough to be in the shake up at the end IMO though they might cause a few upsets (probably against us). To qualify we need a few things to go our way:

1. Beat the Czechs at home and at least get a draw away.
2. If unable to do 2 above hope the Germans beat the Czechs at home and away and we grab a point off them at home.
2. Hope Wales take some points off the Czechs at home and we beat Wales at home and at least get a draw away.

I believe unfortunately that the Welsh and now the Slovaks will take more points off us than the Czechs so we have to hope the Germans take more off them than us even if we beat them in Dublin and draw away.

Block G Raptor
07/09/2006, 10:03 AM
I dont think the Czech result was a disaster for us. It shows that the slovakians wont be a force in this group as many of us feared. I think the result means that its a three horse race for two spots with germany the czech's and ourselves. I dont think wales will pose too much of a problem for us at home and would expect at least a draw in cardiff. I think it'll al boil down to our results against the Czechs for who will qualify

Stuttgart88
07/09/2006, 10:14 AM
The Czechs have aleady got 3 points from Wales & Slovakia and we've got zero from one game in Germany. On balance therefore I think they've got far more scope to exceed our points gained from those 3 teams. We can't even think about not beating the Czechs now.

elroy
07/09/2006, 10:26 AM
All that matters is that we get 12 points from the next 4 games, cyprus and san marino (2) should be a definite and we have to win at home to Czechs-no excuses!!!
If we manage that, we'll have 12 points at the end of this year and things will be looking good.

NeilMcD
07/09/2006, 11:22 AM
I totally agree there Elroy. In our own deluded world it is a 3 horse race between us and Germany and Czechs but in reality it could be a done deal between the Czechs and Germany and its a 3 horse raise for 3rd between ourselves and Wales and the Slovaks. Lets home the former is the what happens.

eirebhoy
07/09/2006, 11:25 AM
We need to win by a good score in Cyprus and beat the Czechs to keep in touch with the group.
Germany should win the group. The only way overall goal difference will come is if we get the same amount of points as the Czechs aswell as the exact same score in both matches with them (eg. 1-0, 0-1). There's very little chance of overall goal difference making any difference.

For all the ****ing and moaning that the FAI apparantly do at these group meetings to decide when they play each other, they got it badly wrong this time imo. Lets face it, we could be out of the championships by October the way things stand. If we lose to the czechs at home we will effectively be 9 points behind them.
No matter how the fixtures were arranged, if we lost to the Czechs at home we were not going to qualify anyway.

NeilMcD
07/09/2006, 11:37 AM
I think the fixtures are grand to be honest. I suppose we could have had San Marino on Wednesday or Cyprus at home on Wednesday to get a bit of a moral boost after the German game.

Actually why did we not play Cyprus on Wed instead of November and we could have played a friendly in November.

DotTV
07/09/2006, 11:44 AM
I don't think last nights result was a disaster.
Germany 6, Czechs 6, and Slovaks 3 but we have a game in hand against Cyprus.If we win there we are level with Slovaks and if we beat Czechs then we are level with them.
Our toughest games are a year down the line but by then some of our young players may have improved.
Did anyone hear if Alan O'Briens supposed loan deal with Wolves has gone through?