PDA

View Full Version : Rovers 2 Longford 0

avvenalaf
03/09/2006, 7:21 PM
Handy enough win in the end although Longford should have been 2 up by the time we scored. Started with Gary Curran and Chris Turner at full back and Gary got an awful roasting from Alan Kirby. Once we brought Foyzer on and switched Chris to the other side we were ok. Singh was my MOM as apart from the two goals he did all the ugly stuff including kicking one off the line. Flash came off with what looked like a groin injury with five to go and Faz had come off with a leg injury not long before that. Faz played well and does a lot better away from home. With Pats losing and Bohs drawing this was a really good result. Well done, lads.

Red&White Rover
03/09/2006, 8:41 PM
Great result, and a good atmosphere as well in the stand! Singhs second goal was sheerly unbelieveable! thought he was MOTM today definetely!

sligoman
03/09/2006, 9:19 PM
Fecking deadly craic tonight. Rovers deserved the win. Longford weren't great at all. Singh, already a fans favourite, is fast becoming a legend:D.

The Stars
03/09/2006, 9:47 PM
Rovers didnt play great but fought hard and deserved to win.
2 outstanding goals from Harpal....second would be a contender for Goal of the Season.
Good crowd up from Sligo and some good songs aswell.
Personal Favourites: "Harpal Singh and were winning"......"Are you Deering in Disgiuse?"....."Aine,give us a wave"

sligoman
03/09/2006, 9:50 PM
That's the first time I've seen Aine at an away match:D. Wonder did the Longford fans see her?

sligoman
03/09/2006, 10:44 PM
Harpal Singh scored twice as Sligo Rovers brought Longford Town's recent good run to a grinding halt at Flancare Park in the Premier Division of the eircom League tonight. The win lifts Sligo into the top four and ahead of Cork City, although the defending champions have three games in hand.

Longford went into the game knowing a win could lift them to seventh and started well with Dave Mooney seeing his effort come back off the post in the opening minutes.

Singh opened the scoring after 19 minutes when he curled home a free kick from just outside the box, punishing Longford's inability to take their chances.

Singh hit a superb second on 59 minutes as he caught the ball sweetly on the volley and again from long range to put Rovers 2-0 up.

Danny O'Connor almost grabbed one back for Longford with 20 minutes left but Singh cleared off the line.

http://irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=5306

red arrow
03/09/2006, 10:47 PM
great win, although i thought the game was poor at times. sighn was outstanding(did'nt realise he was a former english youths international) two wonderful goals. thought sean started with strange formation (gary at right back bad decision dont try it again sean) also thought cash did nothing tonight. momentum is good at the moment two home games comming up (bohs, cork) also cup draw wed. if the people dont come out now to support the team they deserve to be shot ( can we identify them). still its great to be in 4th position congrats to all the players. good away support tonight also why dont yee all congregate in same place in showgrounds and make same noise. are yee shy ? from now on the team need all the support it can get . roll on sat night ( is game on sat night?) club need to give clear message to general public

sligoman
03/09/2006, 10:51 PM
roll on sat night ( is game on sat night?)Yes, all our home games are Saturdays from now on!

Terry
04/09/2006, 7:31 AM
What time does kick off be? Heading to sligo with another 35 heads this weekend for a stag, hope to get the match in.:D

Wiseguy
04/09/2006, 8:29 AM
We played ok last night but yet again we failed to convert our chances and once the 2nd goal went in it was curtains for us.Singh looks to be a very good signing by yourselves and isn't afraid to do the hard work and i think that you have a pretty decent side all round.Funnily enough i did see that Aine one at the match last night and it's always good to have celebrities at the matches.I wonder will she be on EL weekly tonight.

Bravo
04/09/2006, 9:09 AM
(gary at right back bad decision dont try it again sean).
Heard Foyzer was droped as a result of an incident in training.
Good result, Longford were unlucky not to get something out of it, but thats football.
We are 4th in the league, SAY we are 4th in the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bravo
04/09/2006, 9:10 AM
Good win but great craic ! Have to say love these Sunday away matches.

Well buck, hows the head?

Rory H
04/09/2006, 10:57 AM
the whole of bitoredxp on tour yesterday:D

this season couldnt get much better

excellent performence.....profeissional is the word that comes to mind

seeing harpel scoring goals is great..and so is singing you know what 25 times yesterday but the most satisfying thing was seeing his delight at full time..his career has gone one way in the last few years and finally he is showing what he can do.....and he is loving it...its a great thing to say and a credit to sean connor and the club

great atmosphere yesterday...my badhron and balloons and all the other crap had the desired affect....best song imo was the simplest..."choice!choice!choice!".:)

i really dont want to go the showgies and just sit down now.... 100 bohs maybe and we will have the dead shed.....think we better do something about it...

our away support is improving all the time....if i said to a rovers fan a few months ago that keith foy would become a cult hero and that we would sing "gareth gorman give us a wave"....well they wouldnt have believed me!

this season i would have been happy with 8th or 9th.....now,who knows what we will end up with, we could be on the verge of one of our greatest seasons ever

De Town
04/09/2006, 11:41 AM
First 20 minutes, we could (should) have been 3-0 up. Once ye scored we didnt do much and then after the 2nd our heads totally dropped. Ye deserved your victory.

And yes, I did see Aine, and the best song of the day was "Aine give us a wave", fecking hilarious!! :D

Darco Ooragnak
04/09/2006, 12:11 PM
Harpal getting that second cost me € 100...ah well......

Two decent goals and a camera there to see them....

Red&White Rover
04/09/2006, 3:43 PM
i really dont want to go the showgies and just sit down now.... 100 bohs maybe and we will have the dead shed.....think we better do something about it...

yes well maybe you could come into the shed along with all those who want to sing, and make it rise again!;)
btw our away support was really good! liked the wigs!;)

Rory H
05/09/2006, 10:09 AM
yes well maybe you could come into the shed along with all those who want to sing, and make it rise again!;)
btw our away support was really good! liked the wigs!;)

aye..it was a good start for getting our colourful support back.....i said derry would be the best support since sean connor came in and we have to keep that promise

hope the 350 there sunday decide its worth going up there..doubt it though....150-200 would be good

sligoman
05/09/2006, 3:38 PM
hope the 350 there sunday decide its worth going up there..doubt it though....150-200 would be goodDepends when it's on? Remember it's moved from the Friday, hope it'll be the Sunday and not a midweek game;)

sligoman
05/09/2006, 4:41 PM
Longford Town manager Alan Mathews has hit out at the performance of referee Dave McKeon during Sunday’s eircom League Premier Division defeat at the hands of Sligo Rovers.

The midlanders fell to a 2-0 loss at home to the Bit O’Red, both goals coming from long-range strikes by in-form Rovers star Harpal Singh.

But Mathews feels his side were harshly treated by refereeing decisions.

He told the Irish Sun: “The goals, while they were two great strikes, were assisted by dubious refereeing decisions.

“It’s not the first time we’ve found him wanting down here and that’s what’s most disappointing. I just hope he’s made accountable.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=24320

The Stars
05/09/2006, 6:20 PM
ref was grand i thought....taking away from a poor Longford performance i think

Bravo
06/09/2006, 7:19 AM
the whole of bitoredxp on tour yesterday:D

1. great atmosphere yesterday...my badhron and balloons and all the other crap had the desired affect....best song imo was the simplest..."choice!choice!choice!".:)

2. i really dont want to go the showgies and just sit down now.... 100 bohs maybe and we will have the dead shed.....think we better do something about it...

ABSOULTE LEGEND! Well Done

I have the words of a few rovers songs somewhere if anyone wants them PM me.

Rory H
06/09/2006, 10:33 AM
ABSOULTE LEGEND! Well Done

I have the words of a few rovers songs somewhere if anyone wants them PM me.

i felt we were running a bit low in longford...we need new songs....i mean there will be a time when we have harpel singh but we wont be winning:D

sligoman
06/09/2006, 1:28 PM
i mean there will be a time when we have harpel singh but we wont be winning:DDont think that matters cos we were singing it before he scored in Longford anyway:D

Red4Eva
06/09/2006, 2:43 PM
matthews is right bout the ref cos we got a few very soft free kicks but longford didn't lose 2-0 cos of the ref. they couldn't convert their early chance&were cat 4 da rest of the game then got punished by a very professional team

Martinho II
06/09/2006, 3:42 PM
That's the first time I've seen Aine at an away match:D. Wonder did the Longford fans see her?

i certainly spotted her at the game! and looking fine she was too! :) does she be on foot.ie? we could do with her playing for us.:rolleyes: