PDA

View Full Version : Kilbane must go

wizzbizz
02/09/2006, 10:59 PM
What a load of rubbish, Kilbane is the worst central midfielder l have seen Does anybody no a good FIA soccer school that teaches control and pass. Lets face he was always a kick it and run like hell after it guy now l dont know what talent is left. We need to be creative and get mc geady on that pitch lets show the opposition that we can play the basic skills

McGeady10
02/09/2006, 11:00 PM
What a load of rubbish, Kilbane is the worst central midfielder l have seen Does anybody no a good FIA soccer school that teaches control and pass. Lets face he was always a kick it and run like hell after it guy now l dont know what talent is left. We need to be creative and get mc geady on that pitch lets show the opposition that we can play the basic skills

Hear fckin hear!!! Good shout mate!!!

tricky_colour
02/09/2006, 11:22 PM
As the season develops there will be more time to access players form over a series of matches, I think a 1:0 defeat away to Germany is not the sort of result to get into a panic over.

brine3
03/09/2006, 10:34 AM
the last 37 competitive internationals are enough evidence

princeofoslo
03/09/2006, 12:17 PM
Kilbane was one of our better players last night. Best midfielder we had. Where was Steven Reid. I live abroad so watched Euorsport coverage of the match. Missed the first 10 minutes so did not know the Irish line up. I did not see Steven Ried or hear his name mentioned until 5 minutes till halftime. Which came was he playing in Kilbane was a giant compared to Reid. Spent the first half wondering when I was going to find out who our 11th player was

Declan_Michael
03/09/2006, 1:27 PM

I've been stating this point since the WC02 game vs. Spain. I'm sure he's a nice fella but simply does not have the ability.

pete
03/09/2006, 2:04 PM
Kilbane was one of our better players last night. Best midfielder we had. Where was Steven Reid.

I would agree 100% with that. Kilbane did not have a good game but Reid was anonymous. In the 1st half everytime he got the ball he gave it away. I keep hearing he is great for Blackburn but i have never seen it in an irish shirt. Kilbane can not play left midfield anymore.

Dodge
03/09/2006, 2:21 PM
Thought Kilbane was OK but the whole midfield was all over the shop and for that I blame the manager

thelimerick
03/09/2006, 3:38 PM
Kilbane was one of our better players last night. Best midfielder we had. Where was Steven Reid. I live abroad so watched Euorsport coverage of the match. Missed the first 10 minutes so did not know the Irish line up. I did not see Steven Ried or hear his name mentioned until 5 minutes till halftime. Which came was he playing in Kilbane was a giant compared to Reid. Spent the first half wondering when I was going to find out who our 11th player was

Don't know what match you were watching mate, Kilbane was atrocious.
Granted Reid was awfull too but I made a point of looking out for Kilbane after a while as I didn't hear his name being mentioned for ages.
Upon doing this I noticed three things.
a: Kilbane spent most of the evening marking thin air. As the Germans moved forward on the attack Kilbane backed off away from the action and marked no-one.
b: Kilbane spent a large part of the match walking around the pitch ball watching. For all the good he did we may aswell have been a man down.
c: Kilbane is not good enough to play for Ireland. He has been a regular in the squad for SEVEN YEARS. Its a disgrace. Even the most kind hearted supporters will admit that Kilbane has had a handfull of good performances against an overwhelming record of poor performances. He should be omited from the squad immediately.

Staunton should never have started with Kilbane, however when it proved unsucessfull out there on the pitch he should have removed him, replaced him with McGeedy, pushed Reid back into the centre where he plays at his best and allowed us the opportunity of using the width that two attacking wingers afford. Every move through the centre was killed off and possesion lost, we never really played against Germany's weaknesses. Instead we took off Duff and let Kilbane stay on even longer. It was pathetic.
Staunton further proved his inexperience and naevity by getting sent off and defending his players performance when it was poor. He's trying to do the right things but he's failing. I feel sorry for him, he seems like a nice guy and wants this to work. The fact is he's out of his depth and its not fair to him, the players and the supporters to keep him in the job throughout the campaign.

Emmet
03/09/2006, 4:04 PM
The fact is he's out of his depth and its not fair to him, the players and the supporters to keep him in the job throughout the campaign.

Do you think he should be replaced then? If so, by who?

Schumi
03/09/2006, 4:11 PM
Kilbane was bad but he was no worse than Reid or O'Shea. O'Shea was the worst of the lot IMO, an empty space would have been as effective.

wizzbizz
03/09/2006, 8:26 PM
The thing is kilbane can never, will never, should never be a central midfielder. He just hasnt got the technique, skill or vision to handle the role. Keane played by instinct he knew where to be a what to do he was born for it kilbane was born to play for the local pub team

thelimerick
04/09/2006, 2:30 PM
Do you think he should be replaced then? If so, by who?

Yes he should be replaced.
Everyone is quick to mention how Reid had a bad game too but Reid was put out on the right to accomadate Kilbane in the centre, Considering how well Reid has played in the centre and how bad Kilbane is generally, it makes no sense.
Reid should have played in the centre with McGeedy out wide on the right.
We are not currently blessed but in the long term I'd see Andy Reid partner either Stephen Reid or Miller if his pre-united form returns. Kilbane is part of our past along with Kavanagh, Harte and co. Kilbane has had plenty of opportunities, too many in my mind. He's simply not good enough.

cavan_fan
04/09/2006, 2:35 PM
Keep Kilbane in the squad (he can fill in in an emergency at a number of positions.)

Surprised by the suggestion that Miller replace O'Shea in CM. I'm not Fergie's biggest fan but I would read something into the fact that he never picked Miller and always picks O'Shea.

GUISAUltra
04/09/2006, 2:55 PM
i think kilbane has got to go. he was absolutely rubbish on saturday and is nowhere close to international standard. get reid off the wing and into the middle and get McGeady in on the wing.

GUISAUltra
04/09/2006, 2:59 PM
In my opinion the team should be
Given
Finnan, O'Brien, Dunne, O'Shea
McGeady, Stephen Reid, Miller, Duff
Doyle, Keane.

I think Kavanagh could still do a very very good job in centre midfield and if Stephen Ireland starts to get first team football again he should be seriously considered.

Stuttgart88
04/09/2006, 3:09 PM
Kilbane is always an awful central midfielder. He was miles worse than O'Shea on the night IMHO.

Steven Reid is always a poor right-sided midfielder. I can only recall he and Carr starting down the right flank once before (home to Russia) and it didn't work then, but even if Finnan was behind him he's still not a natural there. He plays well centrally for his club. We've got very few options for the middle and Reid is one of our better ones.

Call me old fashioned but I like wide players out wide and central midfielders to play in the middle.

keenanboy
04/09/2006, 6:47 PM
Kilbane is always an awful central midfielder. He was miles worse than O'Shea on the night IMHO.

Steven Reid is always a poor right-sided midfielder. I can only recall he and Carr starting down the right flank once before (home to Russia) and it didn't work then, but even if Finnan was behind him he's still not a natural there. He plays well centrally for his club. We've got very few options for the middle and Reid is one of our better ones.

Call me old fashioned but I like wide players out wide and central midfielders to play in the middle.

Hear hear,
Styephen Reid was not clued in at all on saturday night and should have been hauled off. If you have a problem you should deal with it not let it get worse. If your house was on fire would you put it out or let it spread?

DmanDmythDledge
04/09/2006, 9:51 PM
His passing is absolutely woeful and even schoolboys are lambaseted if they slighty mis-place a pass. He also has many other flaws. He will never be a CM. Maybe with a few more non-competitive games at LB he could get used to the positional aspects of the position?