PDA

View Full Version : Starting XI for Stuttgart

cavan_fan
02/09/2006, 12:02 PM
From RTE.ie

Steve Staunton has named the starting XI to play Germany in Stuttgart in their European Championship qualifying match.

Ireland XI to face Germany:
Given, Carr, Dunne, Andy O'Brien, Finnan, Kilbane, Reid, O'Shea, Duff, Doyle, Keane.
Subs: Henderson, Kenny, Kelly, Doherty, Kavanagh, Miller, Douglas, Ireland, McGeady, Elliott, Morrison.

2 annoying choices. Finnan presumably is playing LB to allow Carr to play (who is not good enough)

Kilbane at RM instead of McGeady is an odd choice (unless he plans to play Duff there). I could understand Finnan at RM as he is good defensively (though it would be a very negative step) but I dont know what Kilbane brings

Still glad its 442 and Doyle is playing

bwagner
02/09/2006, 12:21 PM
This fukin team is never gona progress with the likes of carr and kilbane its sick mc geady is left out SICK
STAUNTON MASSACARED 2NITE 3-0
LESSON LEARNED ....NOT ON YOUR LIFE

irishbaz
02/09/2006, 12:26 PM
Totally agree Kevin Kilbane is poor, Mc Geady was one of the only players to come out of the Holland match with some credibility. Poor management decision. Why (like Kerr) does Staunton have so much faith in Kilbane?

DmanDmythDledge
02/09/2006, 12:47 PM
McGeady has been the best Irish performer at club level so far this season. O'Shea has been doing well for Man Utd- hopefully this will be the moment where he can transform that play to the international scene. This should be his last chance for the time being IMO. Carr is rubbish and Finnan is only half the player at LB.

pete
02/09/2006, 12:52 PM
________Given_________
Carr Dunne O'Brien Finnan
Duff Reid O'Shea Kilbane
_____Keane Doyle______

or

________Given_________
Carr Dunne O'Brien Kilbane
Finnan Reid O'Shea Duff
_____Keane Doyle______

Stans tactics migght make look like.

________Given_________
Carr Dunne O'Brien Finnan
___Reid O'Shea Kilbane__
___Keane Doyle Duff_____

and
________Given______________
__Carr Dunne O'Brien Finnan___
Keane Reid O'Shea Kilbane Duff
_________Doyle_____________

LeixlipRed
02/09/2006, 1:05 PM
Finnan at left full is a shocking decision if thats the way it is. Stan obviously wasn't at the dutch game

cavan_fan
02/09/2006, 1:19 PM
________Given_________
Carr Dunne O'Brien Kilbane
Finnan Reid O'Shea Duff
_____Keane Doyle______

Agree this is a very possible lineup, I always wonder whether the way the team is announced is necessarily how they will lineup. Would prefer this to Finnan at LB, Kilbane at RM

gustavo
02/09/2006, 1:58 PM
Haha it could even be!

________Given_________
Carr Dunne O'Brien O'Shea
Finnan Reid Kilbane Duff
_____Keane Doyle______

sligoman
02/09/2006, 2:30 PM
The only change I'd make to the starting 11 is replace O'Shea with Kavanagh.

GalwayFrancis
02/09/2006, 2:33 PM
Ireland XI to face Germany:

----------- Given --------------
Carr, Dunne, Andy O'Brien, Finnan
-- Kilbane, Reid, O'Shea, Duff ---
-------- Doyle, Keane ----------

Subs: Henderson, Colgan, St Ledger,
Doherty, Kavanagh, Miller, Douglas,
Ireland, McGeady, Elliott, Morrison.

DotTV
02/09/2006, 3:52 PM
Starting eleven from http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p229.htm

IRELAND XI:
Given
Carr
Dunne
Andy O'Brien
Finnan
Kilbane
Reid
O'Shea
Duff
Doyle
Keane

I wonder will Kilbane by LB with Finnan Right mid and Carr right back.
Not a bad idea.Germany are strong down the left.

DotTV
02/09/2006, 3:53 PM
sorry, its already up!

Louth4sam
02/09/2006, 3:54 PM
I cant understand why he is playing kilbane. Has he never seen him play?? One of the worst players i have ever seen play for ireland. Also why has he got two goalkeepers in the subs??

DotTV
02/09/2006, 3:56 PM
I'd say Carr at right back, Kilbane at left back and Finnan right mid where he has played plenty of times for Liverpool.
Germany are strong down the left with Lahm and Frings so this might give us a but more protection there.
McGeady could then be used as an impact sub.

brine3
02/09/2006, 4:57 PM
kevin kilbane for ****'s sake!

ARGHHHHHHH!

why. does. he. always. get. in. the. team.

brine3
02/09/2006, 5:50 PM
German teletext has a different Irish team. McGeady and Duff on the wings according to them, with the Killer at leftback and Carr on the bencht.

They also confirm that Fringgs and Ballack will both be starting. As well as Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Klose and Podolski. Looks very close to their strongest XI.

Page 205.
http://www.zdf.de/ZDFtext/master.html