PDA

View Full Version : Refereeing in the eL

CharlesThompson
01/09/2006, 11:43 PM
Firstly I'm not going to spend too much time on this, but please bear me out.

The refereeing in this league is rapidly going downhill.

This season alone, along with all the usual non offsides and free kicks that never should have been and dodgy penalty's that we all see week in and week out, I have never seen the ineptitude of some of the decisions I have seen this season watching Bohs.

Now I'm not suggesting that any of the other sides haven't seen some shocking decisions go against them but some of the most blatant and utterly disgraceful decision that have been perpetrated against us in the last couple of months have actually made my blood run cold.

1. Penalty at United Park. 4 yards outside the box when their player was fouled (Fabio?)

2. Stokes yellow fest at Tolka Park where 19 of our players were yellow carded v's 1 Shels player for clotheslining our player.

3. kajagoogoo's non goal decision in Bray.

4. Anthony Buttimers 'it was near enough so it should be a goal' for Drogheda.

As much as people diss the local game in favour of the EPL or the Scottish league because of the 'standard' of the league, I firmly believe that the stop start nature and general decision making of the officials employed to oversee our games, has an enourmous impact on the quality of the fair on offer. Why oh why do we have to put up with these shocking decisions week after week. It's not fair on the supporters that pay in to see it regularly and it only serves to undermine the good work and professionalism put in by hard up clubs. Time for something to be done!

Rant over.

RonnieB
02/09/2006, 12:11 AM
The clowns in charge of the two cup meetings between longford and waterford. Someone should tell them what the offside rule is.

el punter
02/09/2006, 7:59 AM
I was only having a think to myself this morning about what would happen if those two 'goal' decisions involving Bohs (v Bray and Drogs) had happened in the English Premiership. There would be an absolutely massive enquiry, heads would roll. But I don't think anything is going to happen here whatsoever, it'll be put down as 'one of those things'.

As an aside - admittedly a controversial one - does anyone think that if these incidents had happened to Shels that they would be demanding the fixtures were replayed (well the Drogs one anyway) ?

hoopy
02/09/2006, 8:51 AM
2. Stokes yellow fest at Tolka Park where 19 of our players were yellow carded v's 1 Shels player for clotheslining our player.

Jeez how many players had you got on the pitch, surely Ollie noticed :D Joking aside we all know how bad they are. One thing that really annoys me and is never discussed is when a ball goes out for a throw and the ref moves his head to indicate to the linesman which way he's gonna give it, thus taking the decision completely out've the linesman's hands. What's the point in him being there if this is the case?

Peadar
02/09/2006, 8:57 AM
The linesman last night had serious difficulty keeping up with the play. He's clearly unfit and very obviously overweight. His failure to take his duty seriously has cost Bohs 2 valuable points. How he could ever have thought a ball heading away from goal had crossed the line, I'll never know.

It should have been a free out to Bohs.

BohDiddley
02/09/2006, 8:57 AM
Only Alan Kelly's non-goal at Bray ranks with this (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/clubs.php?club=Bohemians&newsid=5289)
Look at the top pic.

RonnieB
02/09/2006, 10:07 AM
Missed the game on tv, but you have got to be kidding me! If it wasnt so stupid of the officials it would be funny.

pete
02/09/2006, 11:36 AM
One thing that really annoys me and is never discussed is when a ball goes out for a throw and the ref moves his head to indicate to the linesman which way he's gonna give it, thus taking the decision completely out've the linesman's hands. What's the point in him being there if this is the case?

I have also noticed this a lot. I think what is happening is that the linesman is not making a decision & waiting for the referee to do it for him. Maybe the linesman is too inexperienced? IMO its the linesmans fault for not being decisive as lets face it he doesn't have much to do if is not going to signal thow ins.

We now have more tv coverage so mistakes can be highlighted. I agree these incidents should at least be discussed by the eL/FAI. What is the solution though? Surely these are the best referees we have?

Anto McC
02/09/2006, 12:38 PM
Bohs got shafted again!!

Stato
02/09/2006, 1:07 PM
Bohs got shafted again!!

I suppose they might say that Cork refs are riding them rock solid!

sligoman
02/09/2006, 1:50 PM
Lads, we should count ourselves lucky we're in the Premier cos the refereeing in the First Division is by far, worse!

Réiteoir
02/09/2006, 2:20 PM
tbh - Buttimer was not at fault in the "no-goal/goal" incident last night - he got a flag from his Assistant - so had to go with it - he was in no position to over-rule him.

Blame has to firmly rest with the Assistant Referee here - what made it worse is that guy is on the FIFA List - shouldn't make those kind of mistakes that high up.

sligoman
02/09/2006, 2:34 PM
nonsenseWell unless it's changed since last season and the few before that, it's not nonsense!

harpskid
02/09/2006, 4:04 PM
Well unless it's changed since last season and the few before that, it's not nonsense!

No, Sligoman, I can confirm that it is stil simply appaling in your absence!

Three penalties given last night in Limerick, none of which should have been awarded. :ball: :eek:

anto eile
02/09/2006, 4:51 PM
I have also noticed this a lot. I think what is happening is that the linesman is not making a decision & waiting for the referee to do it for him.

thats exactly it. iv lost count of the amount of times linesmen have waited on a ref to signal a decision before flagging.
the refereeing in this league is disgraceful

BohDiddley
02/09/2006, 5:13 PM
Lads, we should count ourselves lucky we're in the Premier cos the refereeing in the First Division is by far, worse!
How precisely can refereeing possibly get any worse than awarding goals when the ball is three yards from the line (Buttimer) and not awarding it after the ball has played a central role in an attempt to demolish a stanchion at the back of the net (Kelly).
Mini-Bohs won hands down and beat the mighty Drogs in style last night. Surely there has to be some redress.

Réiteoir
02/09/2006, 5:26 PM
thats exactly it. iv lost count of the amount of times linesmen have waited on a ref to signal a decision before flagging.
the refereeing in this league is disgraceful

Depends where the position of the ball and the referee are at the time - I'll post up a copy of the pre-match briefing in a second so you can see how we work.

hoopy
02/09/2006, 5:27 PM
[QUOTE=harpskid;527746
Three penalties given last night in Limerick, none of which should have been awarded. :ball: :eek:[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised Harpskid that you haven't noticed the Guinness Book of Record attempt by Limerick for the most penalties given in a season

dfx-
02/09/2006, 5:48 PM

Nope, it isn't...

I couldn't tell you or be able to recognise any of the refs at Rovers' League matches this year. (That may be because the fouls, players and attempted tackles are so bad, they're easy to spot.:D ) I know however what (fewer) Premier games I've been at that Kelly has reffed or Hancock or McKeon because in the Premier the ref is the most important person there - in case you forget.:rolleyes:

The decisions that Stokes gave on Tuesday gave us all an unpleasant reminder of Premier refs. Diabolical.

Lim till i die
02/09/2006, 9:13 PM
I'm surprised Harpskid that you haven't noticed the Guinness Book of Record attempt by Limerick for the most penalties given in a season

It's just as well we're a rich and powerful club who can afford to bribe the refs into giving us all those non-penalties :rolleyes:

fc hammer
02/09/2006, 10:56 PM
What the fcuk are you on about ? Its not our fault if there are sh1te refs in charge of games week after week.. What are we suppose to do turn down a penalty that is awarded to us.... NO.

fc hammer
02/09/2006, 11:01 PM
we'll have no problem putting a few penos away next week in Tolka.. Just to keep that record going !

gael353
03/09/2006, 1:54 PM
ahh one win and the're ****ting themselves already i love it. Role on tolka, gee i wonder will the cameras be there? :rolleyes:

hoopy
03/09/2006, 7:25 PM
What the fcuk are you on about ? Its not our fault if there are sh1te refs in charge of games week after week.. What are we suppose to do turn down a penalty that is awarded to us.... NO.

It's not the refs fault if players go looking for penos. Anyway you won't be getting any decisions next week ;)

fc hammer
03/09/2006, 8:15 PM
We'll see Friday night !

Celdrog
04/09/2006, 7:21 AM
How precisely can refereeing possibly get any worse than awarding goals when the ball is three yards from the line (Buttimer) and not awarding it after the ball has played a central role in an attempt to demolish a stanchion at the back of the net (Kelly).
Mini-Bohs won hands down and beat the mighty Drogs in style last night. Surely there has to be some redress.

But had he given the penalty for McGuinness punching Gartland in the face in injury time and then running away like a little girl it would have balanced up Fabio's "goal" had he got that right
Also bear n mind we were missing Gavin, Keegan. Robinson and Keddy only lasted six minutes

The standard is appaling. I don't think its bias - its just blind incompetence. Bring back Bill Attlee and John Carpenter.

At least Paddy Power paid out on my bet on Fabio to score in 90 mins:D

Peadar
04/09/2006, 9:04 AM
...and not awarding it after the ball has played a central role in an attempt to demolish a stanchion at the back of the net (Kelly).

Were the new type goals, which were introduced in USA 94 I think, not meant to prevent something like this because the net was tied back rather than being held back with metal bars? Are Bray not using the correct type of goal posts?

bohs til i die
04/09/2006, 9:30 AM
But had he given the penalty for McGuinness punching Gartland in the face in injury time and then running away like a little girl it would have balanced up Fabio's "goal" had he got that right
Also bear n mind we were missing Gavin, Keegan. Robinson and Keddy only lasted six minutes

and what about the penalty that wasnt given for the foul on Joxer?

We were missing Wardy, Leech, Arkins, Byrne
Farrelly and Devlin departed on Wednesday

seand
04/09/2006, 9:36 AM
I'm no fan of Bohs, but they have suffered three simply incredible reffing decisions this season, peno away to Drogs, goal given at home to Drogs and goal not given away to Bray. Thats not to say the rest of us haven't suffered grieviously.

Reffing in the First is worse quality wise, but at least they don't think they're the star of the show in the First. Linesmen with a few exceptions are even worse. IMO Hilda is one of the best linesmen in the business, but the complete lack of respect she gets from the players means she cannot control a match as ref.

Celdrog
04/09/2006, 9:41 AM
Anw what about the penalty for the foul on Joxer

And what about Collins (I think) not picking up a second yellow for standing two yards in front of Dan Connor in injury time and blocking the free. Keegan got a red for that last year in the cup against Bohs.

I'm not trying to turn this into a who should have won on Friday - it just proves that the referreing is atrocious. In one match on Friday last week he got six or seven decisions horribly wrong for both sides. I'm sure it happened at the other games as well.

We were missing Wardy, Leech, Arkins, Byrne
Farrelly and Devlin departed on Wednesday
Thought Farrelly was no loss ;) and we were also missing Leech - he is our player:D

Ah well - looking forward to Cork being ridden rock solid on Friday;)

Peadar
04/09/2006, 9:58 AM
And what about Collins (I think) not picking up a second yellow for standing two yards in front of Dan Connor in injury time and blocking the free.

Connor should have been booked for that.
He deliberately kicked the ball against the Bohs player.
Watch the video.

BohsFans
04/09/2006, 10:36 AM
Watch the video.

It was O'Keefe, Collins was stretchered off earlier.
He was walking away from from it, with his back to the ball and Connor deliberately smacked it against him.

What about when Gartland threw the head into Ferguson right in front of the ref? I've seen people being sent off for that b4.

Réiteoir
04/09/2006, 11:10 AM
Apparently I've heard that at the next Branch Meeting of the Dublin ISRS (Referee's Society) the FAI are doing a presentation on the future of refereeing in Ireland.

I'll report back with findings from this

Celdrog
04/09/2006, 11:29 AM
Watch the video.

:D :D :D
Shouldn't have expected anything less

Wiseguy
04/09/2006, 11:51 AM
Threre is no describing the quality of the officials in the EL.I don't know how many times i've came away from a Town match giving out about the officials but the sad fact is that nothing will be done about it.For those barstollers the EL looks like a complete joke from all angles and with all that has gone on in the last few months they're not far from the truth.

Peadar
04/09/2006, 11:52 AM
:D :D :D
Shouldn't have expected anything less

I wouldn't expect anything else from the drogs but to think his behaviour is acceptable.

SeanDrog
04/09/2006, 12:18 PM
I absolutely love the bitterness which is tearing you up inside Peader - its hilarious watching any post regarding Drogs being hooked onto by yourself as you try to post anti drog material - it really funny watching you try to manipulate every topic - its a pity that many other posters have stopped replying to your rants as it made for good entertainment but I suppose they are now just bored with it.

Keep up the good work my man - makes for entertaining reading - I'm not bored of it just yet (unlike many others). :) :D

damn drogs. ....... twitch twitch ........ evil, evil thats what they are ... twitch twitch ....... grunt .... Fabio the c*** .... Gavin the w***** ..... grunt twitch ......... it all their fault .... all of it ......... grunt

Peadar
04/09/2006, 1:28 PM
Keep up the good work my man - makes for entertaining reading - I'm not bored of it just yet (unlike many others). :) :D

This forum is dominated by Bohs v Rovers bitter rivalry so it's important to add some variety.

By the way, I stand over my comments that the decision for the "goal" was crazy and that Connor should have been booked for kicking the ball against the Bohs player. My opinion has nothing to do with me hating everything about Louth.

Celdrog
05/09/2006, 7:48 AM
Connor should have been booked for kicking the ball against the Bohs player. My opinion has nothing to do with me hating everything about Louth.

Well then the ref should have booked Gartland for kicking the ball twice against the Start goalkeeper in the penalty shootout:p

Dundalk fans please note - if you get back to the premier you have to put up with crap like this from the Langers - apparently they have an inbred hatred of things from Louth (thought it was just Drogheda) - we think it stems from them being unable to beat Louth teams in important cup finals.

BohsPartisan
05/09/2006, 7:54 AM
Maybe its because the Louth accent is the only one more horrible than the langer accent.

Celdrog
05/09/2006, 11:40 AM
Maybe its because the Louth accent is the only one more horrible than the langer accent.

Well then he should love us for letting the Langers off the hook :D

micls
05/09/2006, 11:45 AM
Dundalk fans please note - if you get back to the premier you have to put up with crap like this from the Langers - apparently they have an inbred hatred of things from Louth (thought it was just Drogheda) - we think it stems from them being unable to beat Louth teams in important cup finals.

Well sure ye'l be in Meath by then :p

passerrby
05/09/2006, 5:00 PM
was at the rovers v mons match when andy myler was sent off and althought it was a harsh dicision, you could see there was no intent just a silly accident to here some of the rovers supporters giving the young lad on the ground abuse for "fraining injury" was not nice but proves the point that refs are not the only ones wearing blinkers sometimes.

Celdrog
05/09/2006, 8:52 PM
Well sure ye'l be in Meath by then :p

Well then we'll join you in some Craptown baiting :D