PDA

View Full Version : Ireland U21s vs Belgium

eirebhoy
01/09/2006, 5:25 PM
This match is on Sky Sports 1 via the red button at 7.30 tonight.

It's the exact same team that easily beat Greece and I'm guessing they'll be lined up something like this:

---------------------Colin Doyle----------------------
Kevin Foley--Paul McShane--Alex Bruce--Marcos Painter
-----Michael Timlin---Glenn Whelan---Paul Keegan-----
Kevin Deery-----------------------------Willo Flood (c)
--------------------Stephen Ward--------------------

drummerboy
01/09/2006, 7:31 PM
I have NTL and haven't got the red button option, ****.

Dazzy
01/09/2006, 7:42 PM
Any score?

DmanDmythDledge
01/09/2006, 7:45 PM
0-0..

DmanDmythDledge
01/09/2006, 7:48 PM
0-1 Belgium

Peadar
01/09/2006, 9:59 PM
Givens out! :mad:
Both teams missed great chances.

tetsujin1979
01/09/2006, 11:40 PM
Saw the highlights on Sky Sports 1 after the Scotland game, Ireland looked good going forward and were desperately unlucky for the Belgium goal. It could have been worse as Doyle raced out to close down a Belgian striker late on, who went around him and planted his shot in the crowd. Lost count of the amount of Ireland chances.
Am I right in thinking a Greece 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 win will put us though?

Peadar
02/09/2006, 9:03 AM
Am I right in thinking a Greece 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 win will put us though?

Can't see Greece winning. They're not up to much...

cheifo
02/09/2006, 10:44 AM
Dont have Sky, who were most impressive for Ireland lads? Was formation right or should we have gone with two stikers(perhaps Keogh?).

gloryglorygufc
02/09/2006, 11:59 AM
Was at game. Givens hasn't a clue imho.
A win would have put us through - so how do we start 4-5-1 ish . Well it was more 4-1-3-1-1 . Typical cautious Bulls**t
Positives - Kevin Deery of Derry was by far the best Irish player, great touch, compusure and great passer, always looking to be involved. Could play at a high level.
Stephen Ward Bohs, worked really hard up front on his own, great effort and good skill. But too much to do on his own.

The rest: Keegan couldn't pass water. McShane hit and miss. Painter roasted every time by De Mul (Belgium no 7, watch out for this boy, looks special). Flood Whelan, useless, thinks he's our beckham needs to take every set piece - just not able. Too many examples to put here.

The rest: average.

So why start with just one man upfront? Why stay that way even after going one down? Take off your best player when chasing the game? Only go 2 upfront with 10 mins left? Why leave the worst midfielder, Keegan, on for the full game? All he did was sit on top of our back 4, and couldn't give a simple 10 yard pass.

Enjoyable game, but left with the feeling that we had the players to win but the manager and the system let us down.

Ceirtlis
02/09/2006, 2:33 PM
I was at the game and im afraid to say i thought Belgium were a much better side. If Ireland were still playing i dont think they would have scored. The no 7 for them was deadly alright and also no 3 at the back was excellant he won almost every header over Ward and he was about 3 inches smaller. The tactics were a bit confusing as well Ward had no support up front and while he tried hard i dont think he played that well a few nice touches but he wasnt that dangerous apart from one one-on-one which he will be disappointed not to have scored, i meant him in town after ,sound fella. Keegan didnt lose the ball often in fairness to him but he usually passed it square or back although there wasnt much running for him. Deery played well alright.

tetsujin1979
03/09/2006, 12:54 PM
I see on RTE that Givens is looking to the future. How many times have we hard that in the past, and when the next campaign begins, no doubt he'll tell us that the current squad is the strongest he's worked with

eirebhoy
03/09/2006, 3:04 PM
Dont have Sky, who were most impressive for Ireland lads? Was formation right or should we have gone with two stikers(perhaps Keogh?).
The formation certainly didn't work (although it must have against Greece). We played 4 central midfielders in Deery, Whelan, Keegan and Timlin (who played on the left). With Keogh, Stokes and Dixon available you have to play with 2 strikers at home.

The Belgian's won because they were organised, we had no organisation. What I will say is that if there were scouts at the match to watch Ward he could well have played his last game for Bohs. He was excellent on his own up front. His touch and awareness was really impressive.

CraftyToePoke
03/09/2006, 3:13 PM
He was excellent on his own up front. His touch and awareness was really impressive.

he did well alright but did you not think he should have put that one-on-one away though? he looked up and would have had a clear sight of the net across the keeper, but elected to try to round him when the angle was already tight, and wound up making the chance much less scorable.